AF-8 Railjack Review

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by DrankTHEKoolaid, Feb 28, 2014.

1. DrankTHEKoolaid

Sorry I don't mean to add to the abundance of Railjack threads but I figured I'd post my review here anyways. Some of the information I used was gathered from these forums and reddit, so thanks guys!

• Up x 8
  2. AnuErebus

I think this rifle needs some time for people to start really figuring out its effectiveness. The delay is annoying yes, and it'd be nice if SOE could find a different drawback which doesn't feel quite so weird. But, at the same time I think even with the delay this rifle has some definite potential. Over the course of the 70 or so kills I've had with it thusfar I went from initially hating the thing to having a healthy respect for just what that 850 m/s projectile velocity can do. It's a rifle that has a relatively high skill floor thanks to the delay, and it isn't something most people will just pickup and do well with. It's also not a great rifle for more aggressive snipers who rely on quick shots to get their kills. Despite that thanks to the ease of lining up the bullets for the actual shot, I think that given practice good snipers will find that you can make much harder shots at much longer distances with this rifle when compared to other the standard bolt-action set.

I'll have to play with it more to better understand where it's potential rests, but right now I think there's a lot of hate for the delay and not a lot of people trying to work around the downsides and figure out where this thing shines.
    • Up x 1
  3. Vaphell

that's hard to believe, given that it has the same ballistics as longshot and nobody snipes at 500m+ where the speed might matter. Duels against parallax/rams50 will be lost 9 times out of 10, because you will have to be stuck in place longer in order to hit anything smaller than a barn due to the delay, but the enemy can fire'n'forget+strafe asap.
  4. Rigsta

Why is everyone freaking out about the delay? I hardly even notice it. Use the Phaseshift for a while, that thing only fires when you release the mouse button but I'm doing fine with it.

Basing a review on theorycrafting, even partially, is probably not for the best.

EDIT: I agree it should have gone on the PTS for a while, however.
    • Up x 1
  5. cruczi

At least you know it'll fire exactly at the moment you release the trigger, and not after some weird delay
    • Up x 2
  6. cruczi

Source pls
  7. Vaphell

does my experience with countersniping reality count?
    If you don't fire+strafe asap you are not going to be a very successful countersniper and will be a frequent guest of the respawn screen instead.

FJ shot signaled more clearly, with glow and ****, with more preparation time = more time to react and step aside
    Tier3 user will be more mobile, have faster fire rate, bullets hitting the target earlier plus more ammo
    There is not a single advantage on the FJ side and clientside detection doesn't help either. If you are forced to stand still longer, it's easier to hit you in your 'past' but 0.2s hardcoded delay is just enough for you to not have that luxury.
  8. cruczi

No, experience does not count towards making statistical claims
  9. GunsmithJoe

Yes, that's because the PhaseShift activates at the time you provide an input (releasing the mouse) and not at some random time in the future.

And yes, people can learn to deal with the effectively random delay, but the skill/risk/reward curves are crap. What is the point of mastering a very annoying and tricky firing delay when the only benefit is that it behaves like a Longshot?

IMHO, I would like to see the following included as fixes for this:
    • increase minimum damage (850-900) with a flatter fall off (it's a freaking RAILGUN!) or, better yet, have an inverse damage falloff so it has more damage at range (slug outer shell becomes super-heated over range due to friction at hypersonic speeds, say 600@50 to 900@250).
    • better audio cues and timing so the user can judge the actual shot
    • removing the scope double-jump so that the only recoil is from the actual round firing and not from pulling the trigger.
    I don't mind the delay, it just lacks a reward for mastery. Hell, increase the delay and make it 0.5s long but give me the tools to judge its cycle and a damned near guaranteed kill out of it.
  10. Rigsta

Sure. But it's still very different to firing any other guns, especially similar ones like the XM98 and Spectre.

However, it can be learned and compensated for. The Railjack's pre-fire delay is always the same as far as I can tell. Likewise, it can be learned and compensated for. The Saron HRB had a longer delay and slower projectile, it also needed learning but had strengths that compensated for its weakness.
    • Up x 1
  11. GunsmithJoe

That's as may be, but I think the bigger issue is that the Phase Shift has both audio and visual cues as to the charge state. Failjack has neither, you just click and guess which is a terrible, terrible design. Yes, it can be learned for both but the learning curve is significantly sharper on the 'Jack. Having direct and instantaneous fire control as a very significant factor.
  12. minhalexus

One can not simply compare an AV weapon with an AI sniper rifle.

Vehicles have a much larger hitbox, and it does not have to chamber after each shot.

Saron: pull the trigger, wait .5 sec, shoot again - Repeat
    Railjack: Pull the trigger, wait .3 secs for the shot, rechamber, re-scope/ADS - Repeat.

Just saying, that .3 seconds is a lot is the world of snipers. And an aggressive sniper can not afford it.
  13. DrankTHEKoolaid

It's probably not but I wanted to get it out before people bought something they weren't expecting.
    • Up x 1
  14. GunsmithJoe

Your review was pretty consistent with my own tests.

At some point everything is this game is theorycrafting as the true numbers are very rarely revealed.
  15. Inex

Maybe you should buy the Railjack that has a .125 delay instead?
  16. Vaphell

but does it? source?
  17. DrankTHEKoolaid

Not sure if you're trolling or not but the reason there are two numbers for delay is because we don't know the exact number. However we're almost positive it falls within .125 and .25
  18. Inex

Still means it's not 0.3. Or 0.5. Or 1.0. Or any of the other "Wah, this gun isn't a straight upgrade from weapon X" exaggerations floating around.

And oh, I *want* to troll. This has been a great patch, as the whining about the RailJack has been absolutely amazing. I wish all patches could have something like this. But then I realize I don't have to. I can point out that you made a 8 minute video of chain killing people and ended with "This gun is bad, don't buy it.".
  19. minhalexus

Sure, maybe cuz the NC got a terrible weapon?

This gun is bad, and Mr. Koolaid actually made the video of it when it used to have 10 rounds per magazine. Now it only has 4. And just saying that he only chose parts where he was getting kills.

The Charge time is what makes it terrible.
  20. Vaphell

When its direct competition also costs 700sc/1000c and does the same job better at all possible distances (rendering range hits before FJ gets to shine), why is that not a right thing to say? He would score those kills easier with longshot he already has and wouldn't have to pull a commie at any trace of close/midrange danger - Failjack is utterly useless in hectic situations but longshot can be used to quickscope or at point blank.
    Go to youtube. you will find 20 kill long streaks made with knife, i don't think you would say it's an op weapon.