[Actually serious] Maxes should be deleted from Planetside 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mustarde, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Iridar51

If that was true, how come even I can do this? If that is "neutured to the point of near-uselessness", I'm afraid to see what "balanced" would look like. Oh wait, I did, and the game was so much worse back then.
  2. 0fly0

Nice joke that was funny
    • Up x 1
  3. Iridar51

No joke.
  4. PostalDude

So anecdotal evidence proves your trashy Infantry focused world ? There's no way to tell if you even pulled a tank in the first place, that could just be you running around with a shotgun.

I think you should be more upset about grenade spam rather than a random HE tank.
    • Up x 2
  5. Kristan

Sometimes I wish people should stop licking people because they're e-famous.
    • Up x 2
  6. Metalsheep

I would have to disagree.

MAX Units are a staple, and an icon of Planetside. If you removed MAX units, you remove part of what makes Planetside, well, Planetside. It would be like removing the Warthog from Halo or the Mushroom from Mario.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Even if PS2 is a "Different" game from PS1, it is still in the Planetside franchise.

They are also very weak when unsupported. They have poor sustainability without Engineers and other infantry nearby to maintain them and keep the MAX unit safe from its hard counters. NAR can help but MAX units are only effective when used in a team environment. Sure they can win in a 1v1 during a small fight but who cares?

So what if MAX units have a higher KDR than non-MAX units? The kicker is, Kills don't mean jack-squat in Planetside. Whoever has the most kills at the end doesn't win. Its whoever owns the most territory and flips the continent. And MAX units cant cap points. Making them useless for the games overall objective. Kills are just a means to an end. MAX units are only a tool.

I would be quite disappointed and upset if MAX units were removed, I would likely quit paying or playing alltogather. As at that point this game is not going in the direction I was hoping it would. I want this game to be Planetside, not Battlefield/CoD or some other lame modern shooter.

SOE did this back in the Tech Test/Closed Beta phase of PS2. It was terrible, MAX units literally vanished over night. They were walking coffins that made you waste resources. They are too fragile for their cost to be non-revivable. They switched to making them Revivable again shortly afterwards due to how negatively it affected the class and game as a whole. I doubt they will try that a second time.
    • Up x 2
  7. pnkdth

It is likely this HE tank player will get himself in a terrible situation and get blown up by:
    1. Air.
    2. Other tanks(good luck with those HE shells).
    3. Tank mines.
    4. C4.
    5. Rocket launchers.
    6. AV MAX units.
    7. AV turrets.
    8. f***ing debris.

Seriously, if you struggle against tanks in present day PS2 you are plain bad, or have mistaken this game for a pure infantry shooter.
  8. TheMish

Definitely, that's absolutely it. I'm the one who's ashamed, because I can actually deal with maxes, and not complain and try and have them removed because I get killed by them.
    • Up x 1
  9. Iridar51

I think you should not be telling people what they should be concerned about.
    You need evidence? Here's your evidence. Pictures taken from the stat page of a completely random (;)) player:
    [IMG]
    An average player overall. [IMG]Here we see completely average performance as infantry. [IMG]Same performance with vehicles. Seems consistent. But what's this?
    [IMG]
    It seems that simply using HEAT lifted this average player to the level of a pro. When recording footage for my latest AC-X11 montage, I held 5.1 K/D for over two hours, all the while helping my faction to succeed, and I felt proud. It took two years of constant learning and excelling to reach that level.

And yet, a completely average player is lifted to the same level simply by the virtue of using a tank. And what's even worse, he's not even overly good or experienced at it, sitting at meager 150 kills.

Not sure about you, but I wouldn't listen to what this player has to say about tank-infantry balance.

Here's your argument.
    • Up x 1
  10. Iridar51

The answer here is the same as what Rogueghost said about Mustarde:

11. Liberty

MAXes are kind of like that joke you know that is so ridiculous that you can't really help but laugh, not so much at the joke itself but at the sheer ridiculousness of it.

Cost? Fully decked out HA - 400 resources. MAX 450 Resources.

Weapon Strength? The strongest 125 damage tier weapon available to infantry is the Lynx at 909 RoF with 40 rounds per mag.

There are a bunch of 143 damage tier weapons at 845 (Serpent, GDF-7, TRV, etc) with 30-40 rounds per mag.

The strongest 167 damage weapon is the cyclone @ 652 RPM and 35 rounds per mag, though it is an outlier and most top tier 167 damage weapons have 600 RPM.

Dual Onslaughts are 984 @ 125 with 180 rounds before reload
    Dual Nebulas are 852 @ 143 with 150 rounds before reload
    Dual Cosmos 674 @ 167 with 225 rounds before reload

What about accuracy? The best hipfire weapons in the game (SMG's) have a 1.0 standing still 1.5 standing moving CoF. The best MAX weapon has a 1.15 standing still CoF and a 1.65 moving CoF.

For a frame of reference the best AR's have a 1.5 stand/still 2.25 stand/move CoF, the best carbines are 1.25 / 1.75 and the best LMG is 2.75/3.5.

Survivability : Standard infantry has 1000 HP, with nano 5 1250 EHP against body shots from small arms. Heavies have 1818 EHP with resist shield. Standard MAX suit has 10,000 EHP against small arms. Kinetic 5 MAXes have 16,000.

Well so far they are stronger, more dangerous and cost a similar amount to a standard fully stocked infantry unit. They must be incredibly slow right to offset everything?

Infantry speeds : Normal 14 KPH Sprint 22.75 KPH Strafe 10.5 KPH (Or 8.6 MPH / 14 MPH / 6.5 MPH)

MAX speeds : Normal 10.5 KPH Sprint 21 KPH Strafe 7.35 KPH (6.6 MPH / 13 MPH / 4.5 MPH)

(MAXes have some slightly slower acceleration times as well (0.2 for infantry vs 0.25 for MAX) modifier for strafing and forward acceleration and a much slower acceleration to full sprint 0.2 for normal infantry vs 4.0 for MAXes. Buuut they also get access to charge every 30 seconds which completely blows infantry speeds / accelerations out of the water.

So, for 50 more resources and a 25% normal move speed debuff / 8 % sprint speed debuff (With the chance to become much faster every 30 seconds), you get the best DPS, by far the best damage per mag, the best damage per mag vs. reload speed (for TR and VS) you get between 8 and 10 times as many hit points and hipfire accuracy that rivals the best non SMG weapons out there. All this while having the same access to any area normal infantry can reach.

The only mind boggling thing I've yet to understand is how, in a PvP oriented game there is this unit that will regularly double the KDR of players normal infantry yet only has 6% usage time?
    • Up x 2
  12. Kronias

Exactly. We need the developers to focus on what makes PS2 stand apart from the rest of the copy paste garbage on the market. Instead people like this are basically trying to make the game as close to Battlefield as possible, for whatever ungodly reason. This is without question the best shooter I've ever played since the Halo franchise, which I liked for various reasons including plot, lore, characters etc. This game is not an Infantry shooter, it is a combined arms shooter. If you are unable to accept that, then please feel free to leave the game. Anyone who thinks the only thing in this game that requires skill is infantry play is delusional. Plain and simple. This game needs more unique equipment, more VS stuff, more NC stuff, more TR stuff. Enough with the damned NS stuff already. No more cookie cutter one size fits all garbage. If I wanted to play COD I would go buy COD ffs. if that's what you want to play, then plz go, and leave us in peace.
    • Up x 4
  13. Liberty

And just for fun. As an NC MAX walking around with dual shotgun arms is like walking around with a harder hitting generation 2 pump action shotgun that fires 3 times as fast.

Or using a semi auto (like the barrage) that does double damage with nearly the same RoF.

Or walking around with a nighthawk that fires 60% faster.
  14. fives23

If you remove MAXes 90% of players I know will quit this game for good (that = no $$$ for DB)

This is the only game I know where you can just up and decide to be a juggernaut because you feel like it, which is great. You're very far from invincible and as we speak the developers are hard at work designing an anti-MAX weapon.

If the reason you posted this is because you rounded a corner only to find your head exploding at the business end of a hacksaw please....

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  15. Liberty

Combined arms is great, most of the people here actually love the idea of combined arms. Farming simulator 2015 with an FPS element however is boring when you are the farmer and frustrating when you are the crops.
  16. PostalDude

The difference is one doesn't cost 450 resources, the other does. One is also a vehicle, the other is infantry. This is a combined arms game Iridar. Not a infantry pfhuck-fest.

Also

>Light Assault
    >Helping

Top kek.
    • Up x 3
  17. pnkdth

The former half is spent kissing Mustarde's a**, the latter is an unfounded claim. Well, I'm convinced.
    • Up x 2
  18. Kronias

and removing/nerfing every aspect of this game that make it different from the other shooters will not change that at all. Removing MAXes would make farming worse, not better. I suspect the farming exists because they would rather the game just be a Matchmaking Lobby with the bases as Maps.They focus on getting kills, on their K/D, on their stats. Not on taking the base, or winning the Alert. Because apparently ppl refuse to do the intended objectives of the game because it's "pointless", as if every video game ever made isn't if you wanna get technical about it.
  19. Rogueghost

Maxes aren't vehicles, they aren't infantry, they're a hybrid that dominates both. Their AV weapons are on par and in some cases *ravens* are superior to the weapons we slap on tanks, with max rank flak a max is capable of soaking up multiple rounds from a tank's main cannon while also being a much smaller target. A single AV max with modest cover can hold back several MBTs or lightnings.

Maxes can also deny air in the hex from the safety of their spawn room, something even lockons have trouble with do to many LOS breaks from within the spawn. When equipped with AI weapons they boast a damage output superior to that of the kobalt, a dedicated anti infantry gun that vehicles use, while taking 16x the amount of damage normal infantry can take. Tanks, Infantry and aircraft are all fodder to Maxes, they are at the top of the food chain in planetside and I don't understand how anyone can pretend its balanced.

Also most people here aren't seriously auguring for maxes to be removed, they just need some heavy tweaking, and needed it for quite from time.
  20. Iridar51

Dodge points awarded. The fact that you cannot comprehend how helpful a right LA in a right place can be only speaks negatively about you.