A Whole Fight Ruined "Welcome to Planetside "2" "

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by 24NoSwagWithScope7, Jul 28, 2014.

1. DeusExForever

Because it'll take 7 hits to destroy it (dumbfires don't lockon where you aim, that rear shot locks onto the side). And the chance you have an Engineer laying a ammo pouch by your feet for the 3 extra rounds, is low (and going to a fight with no body armor -- especially against all the bullets/HE/missiles -- to have 7 missiles on you is crazy).

After firing 4 rounds and the vehicle doesn't go down, people move to "easier" targets ... as the game is played more about pretty boy K/D stats than objectives.
    • Up x 2
  2. Saviorself

Battle gals are very easy to keep alive and very easy to fly. I've gunned for a few and also piloted a few and there are very little drawbacks. It is the toughest unit in the game, with high mobility and high firepower. Run it fire suppression you can keep it up in the air for a long time.

Then there is the fact that there is no punishment for losing the gal other than having to pull a new one, as you can bail out and not even have to die for your mistakes. An elite outfit can keep a battle gal up 24/7 by rotating it between players.

You can bring anything down in this game. But for the battle gal you will have to devote an inordinate amount of resources to deter it. Only very rarely will you shoot one down, it is tough enough to do multiple runs before being forced to retreat. If you do shoot one down, any half awake crew would bail the gal, denying you every kill.

Everything in this game is risk versus reward. How much am I being rewarded to scare away a battle gal? Air damage xp? How much is the gal crew risking? How much are they rewarded? If things are good they will farm a bunch newbs and rack up massive xp. If it goes bad, they can run or they can hit eject and then redeploy to warp gate for another gal.

A2A launchers do not deter battle gals. You would need a skyguard, or a burster MAX. These cost resources and I can't farm kills with a skyguard, or with a burster MAX. All I get for my trouble is some measly anti-air xp, and the rest of the zerg can happily zerg, never caring that I sacrificed cert gain to prevent a massive farm.

Even liberator crews and ESF pilots have to risk death, unless they waste their utility slot for ejection seats. But guess who can happily farm with very little risk?
    • Up x 5
  3. Nexus545

Oh hai Saviour fancy seeing you here. Although I'll agree a good squad can keep a Galaxy up I've never seen anyone do it bar myself using it as a mobile turret. Also the reward in this case would be not letting you and team get farmed, which should be worth it for people.
  4. Rogueghost

You're forgetting the most effective anti-galaxy weapon in the game, the instant reloading decimator.
    Fire a decimator at spawn camping galaxy, switch to another weapon, double tap E at the nearest infantry terminal, swap back to the deci, rinse and repeat.

This only works while being spawn camped, but its pretty much anti everything, being able to fire decimator rounds faster then 3rd tier sniper rifles can load another bolt has allowed me to shot down galaxies, liberators, tanks and harassers at frightening speeds.
    • Up x 1
  5. RawLucidity

100 certs in 3 minutes.

Gg.
  6. Sid6dot7

Or 1 Anti-"Battle-Gal"-Gal

• Up x 5
  7. Saviorself

I didn't forget that, because I do it all the time. You can also do it when you are repairing an AMS sundy, re-equip and reset the repair gun when it overheats.
    • Up x 1
  8. Maljas23

Hornets do a ton of dmg to Battle Gals...

Those guys in the video weren't even trying to kill it, though.
    • Up x 2
  9. DeusExForever

Which shows the game is unbalanced if your only way out of a mousetrap is to fly, instead of using tools at hand (with a reasonable expectation the tools work in the same manner -- not be HE'd to death in Flak armor to even get OUT to fire anything) -_-

Back to the drawing board again...

10. FillyFluttershy

While yes, the TR probably could have at least scared the Gal off, I can still see why this happened.

The main reason is that almost no one feels like dealing with fuggin Gals because they have asinine amounts of health to the point that any single player who see the Gal thinks to himself: "Hmm, someone should really deal with that. But not me. I don't have enough firepower, and I probably can't get these pubs to help me out anyway. Whatever, maybe I can run past the Bulldog this time." I mean seriously, a single G2A lock-on hit doesn't even grant surface-to-air XP because it barely chips a fleck of the Galaxy's paint off.

Why not pull an AA MAX you might say? Well, first off, not everyone has that. Of those who do, they might have figured that if they didn't make an attempt to save the point instead of attack the Gal that they'd lose the base and it would all be for nothing, except for their MAX to be slain, and their Inf resources to be wasted. All for the Gal to just (in 99% of cases) harmlessly escape and torment them at the next lattice link regardless.

Two other things about the Gal's bulldog. First, why does it have so much ammo. Yeah, yeah, it's probably certed way up, but maybe it deserves similar treatment to the Liberator belly guns in terms of ammo pool nerfs. I mean seriously, ~300 rounds? With no resupply? It's almost like SOE wants it to be a farming tool. It would take literally around what, 7-10 minutes just to fire those off? Should any weapon have the capability of sustained fire for that long without a source of resupply?

Secondly, but less importantly, why is it such a dream to shoot compared to the Sunderer edition? On the Sundy, it's hard to consistently hit without practice due to the odd arc / lob trajectory. The Galaxy however has a much flatter trajectory, as if it is being shot out with much more force. Compounding this is the fact that the Galaxy already has the advantage of height and / or flight to find better angles and vantage points to fire from to begin with.

Modify the above two things, and it would either be much more difficult or impossible for what occurred in that clip to happen.

Random side comment, that dude in the video was pretty damn creepy. For a guy sitting on 6k unused certs, he was enjoying those kills way too much. <__<
    • Up x 1
  11. faykid

New players should be explained to redeploy from fights where they keep getting killed too often. If only SOE had time and resources, they could add NPC's into the Tutorial, and deploy the new player into a VR base being spawn camped, just to make it clear that you need to use redeploy more often.

New players spawn into the game and think this is it, they think that they are supposed to run around until they die, and only move on together with other players - and in the same direction.

Nerfing Bulldogs won't help these people. It will take thinking out of the game, will make it too easy. This Gal is not unstoppable, it has counters. They don't know it - that is the problem. The Tutorial shows you ways to counter tanks, but it does not mention the free Burster. I realized that I had it by BR15 i think, if not later.
    • Up x 2
  12. dasichri

The simple fact of the matter is this is mostly experienced people that were doing nothing to prevent their deaths.

It just seems that 95% of the player base doesn't want to do anything that takes away from what they want to do right there and then, or if it makes them less effective in various ways such as switching out nanoweave for flak armour, using smoke grenades instead of normal grenades.

I see it happening all the time.

But since I care more about having fun and winning, rather than getting kills/xp/certs, I don't have much of a problem with doing whats needed.

What annoys me is when it's only me that's trying to win though, rather than farm certs.
    • Up x 1
  13. Sid6dot7

The tool at hand was my Falcon-MAX before, but because of the "good" cover hossin provides, I and some Heavies couldn't do enough damage in time without the gal escaping. I didn't get a burster MAX because I would've been alone, just beeing a bulldog-magnet and surpressing the ground vehicles was more important at that time (F-MAX >> Heavies). But that Gal was bothersome...until the Anti-BG-Gal...

On the other hand, some tactics have to be fought the unusual way and with tools, a low BR-player may not have yet.
  14. Teshrrar

I will repeat a post I made in another topic:

New players have to be protected. I tested 2 teenagers of my family who never played Planetside before, and they both couldn't do much. So I remembered how ******* hard was to me stay alive in 2012, since I'm not a FPS player, but a strategic and RPG one. Different of me, the teenagers are FPS players, and even with that attribute they logoff and went to play another of my Steam games.

Planetside is different of anything which we have on market. The annoying random and unpredictable deaths disallow the fun of a war. The mountain climbing tanks, the snipers behind your ally combat line, the air unities controlling a small battlefield, the farmers who exploit a game weakness, etc, etc... resuming: the non-objective players make the gameplay of new players too much hard, because you don't expect this kind of behaviors on a war game. You wait for a front line or flanking, for cover and advance and strategic pull backs, but you rarely see this things happen here.

You see unfair zergs, kamikazes (so much that you can't even look where's the fun), campers, farmers, etc, which at some point you think "why am I playing this point and click game when I can play something where I can really think and use "war" skills?"
    • Up x 3
  15. Axehilt

We just need a grim reaper version of Clippy...
    • "Hey, it looks like you died to anti-infantry weapons as infantry again! Do you want to..."
      • Spawn here as infantry and die again.
      • Spawn elsewhere as a vehicle and kill that rat bastard.
    • Up x 4
  16. Maljas23

We should not have to redeploy from a base we were trying to defend though. SOE needs to make spawns unreachable by the other factions so that it is actually possible to get back to defending the base. The offensive force should be defending the points, not camping the spawn they that the defenders can't even REACH the points. This is one of the reasons why base defense can be so difficult.
    • Up x 3
  17. dasichri

I never said anything about redeploying o.o

Though that should be something people should consider if a base is surrounded, at least, in the current stage of the game.

Also, retreating is a perfectly valid tactic, if your positions are being assaulted hard and you have lost most if not all of your advantage, a strategic withdrawal / redeploy to regroup and set up new defensive positions, or muster up a counter attack, is something that should be seriously considered.
  18. DeusExForever

Here's the problem though: if they redeploy to a different location, why are they playing PS2, again?

The fights.

If they're 2 bases away, and to return to the fight they're not in a group anymore...

"Houston, we have a problem..."

People playing FPS games expect to return to the same area to fight. All the way back to the Counter-Strike days, you'd going to respawn in the same locale.

Game mechanics change -- but like giving a infantryman a rifle in every FPS game since Quake -- they expect to return to the fight ... not run back alone 400m away INTO the *********** itself (that can pinpoint and execute him from air even -- I just love how yesterday every gunship out of nowhere could fly right over me ... cloaked even ... every, single, time). -_-
    • Up x 1
  19. Maljas23

I think I quoted the wrong person, lol. Sorry.

Retreating is perfectly fine, but I'm talking about being unable to reach your defensive points because you're being spawn camped. This simply should not happen. The spawns should be unreachable by the opposing enemy.

I am not saying that the spawns should be on top of the points. I'm just saying that spawns shouldn't be campable. Defenders should be able to keep defending the base until its capped. Spawn camping pretty much prevents that. Currently, the only real way to break a spawn camp, is a mad rush to one of the points with the usage of Outfit coordination.

Finally, spawn camping is not fun for EITHER side in a battle... so why even have it? It is a boring, but effective method of reducing the chances of the defenders winning, to nearly zero.
    • Up x 1
  20. Chrispin

Well said.

I guarantee these BR 50+ players new damn well how to deter a galaxy. The only reason they didn't fight back was probably because they didn't have some squad lead coordinating their every move with the flow of the battle. The thing is it takes more than one guy to take a galaxy down, and there is no guarantee that someone else is going to spontaneously pull AA along side you to quickly take it down without wasting time/resources. And there certainly isn't enough of a cert reward to justify taking that gamble and ending up being the sole activist who gets to be the prime target of that bulldog.

Just saiyan SOE. Maybe you need to increase air damage XP.
    • Up x 3