2 Orion Myths Debunked

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by a-koo-chee-moya, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Villanuk

Every item in the game is subjective, but does not change the conception or reality of what is good and bad in the game and anyone who has used it, knows how dam easy it is to use and why its used a lot.
  2. Tyrant103

You can remove the Orion, if you give us decent Faction Traits.
    • Up x 1
  3. Nehlis

Orion is hands down the most versatile and effective LMG in the game. It makes up for the fact that every other VS LMG is essentially crap.
  4. Huxer

It is amusing when people bring up numbers that are incorrect to begin with, then ignore some of the statistics only to "prove" that their wayof thinking is correct. Then any disparaging information is put off as "unimportant" or "not relevant" to the discussion. If ru nspeed is 4km/h and normal adc speed is .5 so 2 meters then .75 ads would be what? 3km/h so essentially a 50% movement speed increase in straffe right? a .25 cone of fire difference which is measured in /100th of a second is not a meaningless differentiation. Just because you don't understand something or it does not support your opinion does not make it unimportant.
    • Up x 2
  5. Casterbridge

Just for fun I was looking at that PS2 Oracle of Death site, according to the various charts at that site the VS LMGs for the most part look pretty decent, definitely some seem to be performing a bit worse but some seem quite strong, Orion is the king of the 3 default LMGs, the SVA-88 seems to very strong overall and a couple of others seems to be decently average.

TR actually seem to be the worse overall intrestingly enough, at least in the LMG category, the AR and carbine is a different story.

VS ARs seem to do better than I thought as well, and I always thought they were the weakest of the VS arsenal overall (some are worse than others though).

That site seems to suggest kind of what I've always thought most of the infantry weapons seems to be decent across the factions, there are some odd ones out, but overall all 3 factions have access to decent weaponry, with a few being duds, and a few being real gems. Grant it doesn't paint whole picture and I'm probably missing stuff but it looks decent.
  6. ATRA_Wampa-One

The "problem" with VS AR's is mostly around the Pulsar and Corvus. The Pulsar has a horizontal tolerance of 0.7 where the Cycler is 0.3 and the Gauss is 0.4. To give you an idea how bad that is IIRC carbines and AR's with 0.75 ADS have a tolerance of 0.75 or 0.8. The Corvus has a host of minor accuracy issues where you could either fix those or just increase it's ROF to 550. So VS has two AR's where they are suppose to sacrifice ROF for accuracy, but the accuracy stats don't reflect the ROF lost.
  7. Kryvakryz

Yeah, those stupid VS and their evidence-based, rational arguments.

Obviously it's the "best LMG" because you "feel" it is one!

Anyway, I don't feel like this thread is going anywhere. People don't even bother with reading it and keep on bringing up the same points over and over, even if they were addressed before. Forumside at it's best.
  8. Casterbridge

Makes sense overall, the Pulsar from what I can see isn't doing to badly, but it is performing a bit below the NC Gauss, which in turn is performing a bit worse than the T1, which of course puts the Pulsar as the weakest of the 3 defaults.

Carbine wise it looks like (again default only) TR win again, but just barely over the VS and NC coming in last, but not by much, there so close I'd say it doesn't really matter.

LMG wise (default) the Orion takes it, which makes sense since it's a HA AR and not really a LMG and easier to use, Carv is in second place and Saw is a fairly far behind third place, which again makes sense since the Saw takes a bit of effort to get use to (and why most want it replaced as the default).

Before anyone asks I was using the PS2 oracle stat site, and I was using various settings, KPH, Q4KPU, etc, and over a 6 month period, again I realize doesn't paint the whole picture just interesting results, glad someone point out the site.
  9. a-koo-chee-moya

... Hipfire CoF Accuracy, which nobody complains about on well, anything, as its not a factor past 5m. I specifically stated that I was using ADS CoF stats. Even the Polaris, which has "good" hipfire, has worse accuracy than Orion. This goes to show that the devs simply don't want high mag size, hipfire bullet hoses.
  10. iller

I read that totally differently.... IE: as him admitting that because it has the same very high ROF of TR weapons, that it would have made more sense for it to be a TR weapon. But it's it's NOT a T.R. weapon (and it isn't), then it should not have such a high rate of fire already when its primary advantage is moderately high accuracy at every possible range making it almost as good a sharpshooters LMG as the SVA-88 but even stronger for hipfiring. Several Vanu themslves on the forums have already complained that "the Orion" is the only good LMG the VS get". The TR say the same thing about the Repeater when talking about pistols. And the NC follow suit when talking about the Cyclone & ReaperDMR. Vanu armor players used to say the same thing about the Saron too, and they still use it frequently despite a couple nerfs, but they also mix in PPA and Fury too.

Whenever someone says "X is the only viable option we get", it usually means "We're comfortable and we don't want to have to invest more time in finding out what works better in different situations"
  11. Lamat

Sure, but faction traits aren't perks though BTW.

NC = high damage (with generally the lowest DPS)
    TR = high ROF (that sprays everywhere except where you're aiming)

VS = no downsides + no drop on some weapons + higher mobility on some things + weird stuff
  12. Hatesphere

TR weapons do go were you are aiming, they just jump around like a monkey in a microwave oven. you would be surprised how often I take people out at long range just by switching an automatic to semi and tap firing.
  13. Flag

NC also generally have the least horizontal recoil (overall), instead having mostly vertical.
  14. Xasapis

I have a question that may sound weird. When I started playing the game back when it launched, heavies were getting one LMG, medics one AR and so on. My relatively new NC and TR heavies however had two LMGs and a shotgun, and the medics had two AR. Is that a special case for me or is this something common? If it's common, then it was interesting to include the EM1 for the NC into the metrics discussion (considering that from the original starter LMGs, the NC were having the bigger problems). So here it goes, both in KPH and KPU:

[IMG]

[IMG]

As you can see, the Orion and EM1 is practically identical when looking at KPH, with the EM1 slightly ahead when looking at KPU.

Now lets look at the TR side:
    (Small reservation, since I'm not in front of the game and I may have used the wrong TR LMG)

[IMG]

[IMG]

It's obvious again that Orion and Rhino perform very close to each other.

Btw, do VS get any other LMG when they start playing? (my guess would be the SVA-88)
  15. IrishPride

We are still kinda testing this game I mean with all the bickering going on it's no wonder the PS4 version hasn't been released yet because with constant temporary 'fixes' that no one can agree to. This game has no end just like the arguing and probably never will. Try and be unbiased with remarks, and the numbers and such can only go so far on a forum. It is up to everyone to be perfectly honest how things perform to make this game more enjoyable to the fullest from all 3 sides to play as because it just isn't right complaining about specifically one thing from one side, try and be more open minded and play from that angle. I mean in just general terms not just this thread. I cannot even comment about any of this because of all these numbers being thrown around i wouldn't know where to begin! A neat idea i would like to see much like warpgate rotations have weapon stat rotations that would be cool! no one would complain then! :D
  16. Xasapis

I'm not sure why PS4 version is remotely relevant. Won't they have aim assist in the consoles rendering any talk about gun balance obsolete?
  17. ATRA_Wampa-One

Only, that's literally the exact opposite of what's happening when it comes to assault rifles.

The Pulsar having over twice the horizontal tolerance of the Cycler means that it's actual accuracy isn't actually an improvement over the Cycler even if the recoil stats are better. Stats back this up as the Pulsar has an average 21.1% accuracy and 15.6% HSR while the Cycler has an average 19.8% accuracy and a 16.5% HSR. So while it looks like the Cycler is 1.8% less accurate overall and therefore the Pulsar has lower damage but better accuracy the reality is that with it's horrible horizontal tolerance the Pulsars HSR it's almost a full percent worse than the supposedly "less accurate" gun.

So yeah, the myth about Vanu guns being more accurate but having a lower TTK is just that, a myth.
  18. Merli0n

The new character quiz started sometime back - grants some weapons depending on what is chosen. I think a shotgun is given out by default nowadays? Maybe you bought Alpha Squad or AE bundle and didn't realize?
  19. Xasapis

So a brand new F2P NC doesn't get EM1 for free? I know they give Mauler for free these days.
  20. Merli0n

I'm really not sure on the EM1 :) I only have the one NC, and have no plans to make a new account just to test it :)