How do you feel, now that the Double XP has ended?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Vepo, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Protential

:'( It is what it is.

Atleast there are more AT mines and AA characters rolling around now. But without x2 exp, I can't see anyone playing AA.

I have spent between 50-$70 only aboud 30$ of this was during a sale event. And I still need to gain cert points, I do not play 10 hours a day, and I bought several cosmetics...I still think cert gains are to slow...And if they were x2 I would have spunt the same amount.
  2. Nubs

Double xp was fun, but i dont think it should stay at that rate. I do think the default rate currently is too slow though. I'm a member and use boosts so I always feel like a get a reasonable cert stream, but I can see that to someone not paying it must be really demoralising seeing how slow the progress is to their goal, especially if its a 1000 cert point goal.

Also, I dont think infatry combat is that bad. you die a lot more.. sure.. you dont get as many kills as you might expect in a tank. but I certainly find I get a lot more xp as a grunt than as an ESF pilot. Pilotingis fun and gives you freedom, but kills are slow as you have to fly back to a tower and rearm after every 2/3 engagements. That takes much longer than an infantry respawn and in a busy fight you can get plenty of kills.

It does seem the balance is more in favour of MBTs, lightnings and sunderers armed with bulldogs etc. though.
  3. -lOldboyl-

If you must compare PS2 to a BF game then I would argue it's closer to BF2/BF2142. Back when series wasn't purely about killing and was fully tailored for and promoted teamwork, squad play and objectives. Many older BF vets even regard PS2 as close to a sequel to BF2142 as we will ever get. It's the only thing I've played in years to somewhat mimics the feel of "Titan mode", one of the most epic game modes of the series.

PS2 doesn't need a massive playerbase to succeed, which was the problem with BF3. They removed all traces of the complexity and tools that urged teamplay to lower the skill threshold so it appealed to a bigger audience. Conquest in BF3 just feels like a glorified TDM experience with some vehicles and flags. The gameplay ends up feeling shallow, throwaway and with little long term satisfaction.
  4. maxkeiser

This. THIS!!

PS2 has the spirit of the old BF games (something BF3 does not have). You can play for fun - jump your tank off a cliff, or flip your liberator and laugh. Squads have fun seeing how high a magrider can fly etc etc. BF1942 had this spirit and PS2 has it as well.

PS2 also has the slower pace. There are moments of down time where you can just stand and watch or drive your vehicle around/away from the battle without being shot at. BF3 has none of this and is a joke of a BF game.

PS2 is the TRUE sequel to 2142 and the BF series, imo. DICE lost the plot big time.
  5. NBA JAM

Cool, so basically you want the servers to die? Your cool. Enjoy ninja base capping all day. Pretty much all that's going to be left to do until they update the game to slowly drag everyone back into it one last time.
    • Up x 1
  6. Jestunhi

Miller was queuing a week or so ago, before double xp. I hope it will again as the holidays end and people are less busy with seasonal family and social events.

SOE did what 90% of companies do and created too many servers just after launch because the initial ones were always full. As a result the original servers have a significantly higher pop than the ones added afterwards.

Every mmo has people who quit because the game is not for them, free to play ones even more so as it costs nothing to try. No game appeals to everyone so no developer should expect anything even remotely near 100% player retention.
  7. ViXeN

No but I did see massive zerg of TR Liberators. Literally everywhere I went they would show up and obliterate everything. Our burster maxes didn't have a chance.
  8. baratol

I feel dirty
  9. Zer0range

I don't feel.
  10. Vepo

Wow 4 pages already, servers were down for a shorter amount of time than I expected.

I go away to the store to buy food and cook dinner and people come here to whine about me wanting people to leave the game! *thumbs up*

However to clarify to the pubs in here, I don't want the game to die, but I got sick and tired of the idiots/noobs which appear during the Double XP times that SOE add. You will see now that the amount of people playing will decrease until the next Double XP weekend/2 weeks.

I love the game and want it to do well, but honestly there needs to be an exam or IQ test to be given before people get into some of the vehicles in the game.

However I still stand by my first thread of saying I'm overjoyed that the n00bs will now be disappearing for a while so the proper players can sit back and enjoy the game without having to rage at the noobs shooting their own team/killing their own team!

/peace
    /happy new year
  11. Protential

If you mean "The proper players can sit back and enjoy the game, without having any straggler come 500m away from the base and randomly kill me while I was eating dinner and not fighting anyone, just waiting on a base to cap." Then Yeah, thats a step in the right direction.

I argue that you "Proper Players" don't even play the game, you just camp 1 spot(Not close enough to be shot at), or ghost cap over and over. For 90% of us, this is not fun.

But at any rate, have a great time taking pot shots at a base that used to be full of enemies you could not even see, but still managed to get a kill or two. Now you will be taking pot shots at empty bases, as the only players left are hovering around in liberators.
  12. Shark

Badly damaged? It needs to be slightly damaged, and two C4 kill it.

Two C4 + a rocket, or two C4 + a grenade, and it's dead. Unless the sundy is certed, which is not the case basically all the time. Which, you can abuse a glitch and deploy a C4, suicide, spawn in with two more, and kill a Sundy with three C4 as a single LA.

It's solo'd.

Like I said, game encourages solo play, your post did little to argue against it other than attempt to say that a Sunderer would likely have two gunners and be moving. Why would a light assault go after a moving sundy? They go after deployed sundies and ruin entire invasions with two right and left clicks.

Also, last note. Gunners? You are light assault, you attack from above, where gunners have no field of attack. Maybe you shouldn't post things if you don't know how the game works.
  13. Urnefar

I'm glad that we're back to more emphasis on capturing bases since it gives more randomness and logistic teamwork than zerging the Crown, but other than that Im not too glad about returning to normal cert gain.

Playing my first hours of the game when it launched, it felt very discouraging to have to grind for hours to unlock simple upgrades like forward grip and C4 for 1 class, but this was offset by everyone else mostly being in the same situation.
    I'm worried that newcomers joining after the double xp xmas will be greeted by the prospect of endless hours of being pounded them into the ground with rocket barrages/HE cannons/other straight upgrades by the core of experienced and paying players, while having no means to farm certs fast since the badly equipped zergs are diminished.
    Not really a big deal if Sony expect this to happen, but the devs have stated that they need to keep F2P players happy in order for them to stay and provide content, so it doesn't add up.

I'd like to see them bump the normal xp up by *1.5, including base captures, to encourage the normal capture strategy over mindless standstill zerging and to ease up on earning those crucial first upgrades for newbies.
    Also, some kind of xp for defending and tick-based AA deterence xp would be appreciated, but Im sure they're already looking at that
  14. Vepo

Indeed I do all what you said ...

[IMG]

I'm guessing you are a VS player, so I'll let you think you are smart for now.
  15. GraphicJ

I concur. In fact they should double the resource cost. Right now it's currently just too cheap. The state of the game reminds me of Instant spawn servers...so quick and easy to get vehicles. There should be a punishing factor to lose a vehicle. Right now the reward overwhelms the Risk which like you basically said, caters to the CoD or even BF3-console crowd.
  16. eldarfalcongravtank

- cert accumulation too low
    - cert shop costs too high
    - no 2xp = even slower cert accumulation rate
    - not enough certs = no higher-tier weapon/vehicle unlocks
    - no effective weaponry (at least on vehicles) = higher chance losing fights to higher-exp players
    - losing = frustration and eventually abandonment of the game

the thing is, the 2xp event just ended recently, meaning its effect on the player base cannot be assessed that early yet. however, the effects could truly be DEVASTATING. soe should rethink their policy if they not want everyone to boost exp/certs in an illegitimate way OR leave the game in a hurry
    • Up x 2
  17. Cornelius V. Osmond

I use to be very serious about gaming, so to try PS2 out i spent some cash on membership, XP booster, some weapons. I play on Miller.

New players perspective so far:

1. Very hard to find the role that has the gameplay i like, even with the trial system, because cert income is so low.

E.g. uncerted reaver lifespan was about 5~10 seconds after first engagement, getting spotted first by TR/VS more agile ESF was 100% death as i cannot shake them, nor kill them. Not to mention flying somewhere and getting killed by AA max/Flak before you even know where it comes from. Now as it has composite armor, with the AA variant having stealth and the performance maxed its a totally different story, but i would've never known if i hadn't bought the weapons for SC, so i could spent certs on unlocks.

2. Noob vehicle zergs are not scary, unless they are certed, but then it's not a noob zerg.

Ever tried to use a stock vanguard? Our noob platoon of tanks gets wiped out by 4-5 certed Sharon Magriders from a safe distance all the time, we can't hit them good enough as they strafe a lot, when we try to get closer they disengage while killing half of us or just flank. Infantry tends to catch up with you and shoot you from building roofs, ESFs kill you while causally hanging in the sky behind you.
    Certed Vanguard with shields, different story alltogether. Get in position while shielded, your gunner launching missiles. Allied tanks covering you with their shields while you repair or disengage. Very fun, would've newer known if not for double xp.

Now without the 2X xp, i have to think twice what i am doing, and i find myself joining the ghostcap and farm squads more often than before. Also i am saving for the liberator unlocks. I will not try infantry classes except the Engineer/Max, as it is a waste of certs unless i'll commit a lot of time, to get a gameplay i cannot predict. The Engineer can rep/rearm/mine while joining the fighting, highest cert gain of all infantry i tried from the start. NC MAX with hacksaw is fun when you have good sit awareness and know when to use charge, but is very situational, good cert gain too.

3. ESFs/Libs don't feel OP at all. Even with unlocked Zepher, Bulldog.

Reaver tends to be very hard to play right, and feels like it is only going to bring good cert income against infantry with rocket pods, if you get the chance (clear skies, or A2M support), but usually calls for AA role with A2M myself, which doesn't give a lot of certs and throws you into the heat of battle, where you die or run for your allies to die instead.
    Every time i fly a (semicerted) lib i find myself fleeing for repairs/rearms or getting medicore amounts of kills from time to time. I use allied libs as enemy ESF magnets, which tends to be more rewarding.

4. I learned a while ago that the Gauss Saw doesn't suck (after unlocking most of the stuff for it ^^) - which is probably a metaphor, and works on 80% of the other weapons in the game, but as a new player, you wouldn't know that.

TLDR:
    All that experience was gathered while having membership+xp booster+2X holiday. The cert income was high enough to let me figure out the gameplay of 2 Infantry classes and 2 vehicles of one race, while dealing with the high learning curve (greetz to all ppl who say lib/esf/vehicle is ezmode). I finally can have a look at the rest of the content. That with a 8 year background of competitive gameplay, and a passion for games.

The cert system without membership + boosters +double XP, with current methods of gathering XP is a burden for new players, which leads to mainstream choices in unlocks (read: going for the OP of the month), and makes them skip lots of an interesting and beautifully designed (thx) game. I hope the January patch will introduce change.
    • Up x 1
  18. Ashur

Will play for as long as I find it enjoyable, realize finally that the grind to 1000 is just not worth it and switch to some other game, pretty simple.
  19. LOLdragon

/implying that I could ever go back to such a sub-par multiplayer experience after gracing the epic battlefields of PlanetSide 2. LOL
    Still, I think that double XP should become standard. Right now, certain things in the cert store are WAY too expensive. 100 certs for ONE flashlight on ONE gun in ONE class? Crazy.
  20. Iksniljiksul

I feel you are either overestimating your server or not being truthful. West coast servers are dead. Peak playing time didn't even get the count over medium on one server, the rest stayed constantly low.

The reality would be, people will now be going back to work, striving to get ready to pay taxes, and not playing as much. The truth is that people don't want to put up with the game issues anymore, or in most cases they simply did not like the game at all.

I will still be able, and will attempt to collect my free certs, but I won't actually be playing until an announcement has been made that cheating is no longer possible on the scale is it as of now. Every single time I play there is someone in the ground, someone that knows how to get in the ground, who returns many times in different armor sets. That's just one of many screwed up things in this game.