[Suggestion] Use weather as an excuse to let people play without aircraft

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Edmon, Dec 17, 2012.

1. FireKetchup

If it was only one continent why not? Would add some variety. Could make it urban themed.
  2. Sento

In the beta a long time ago they were playing with fog conditions that the devs would randomly throw into battles for testing. It was really cool and once I was flying when it happened and I couldn't see **** around me! Forced me to jump out and go on foot. They should bring those back. It would change up battles greatly as it did in the past.
  3. kirottu

Great idea. Not because I give a poo about the whole aircraft/infatry battle on these forums, but because it sounds like an awesome idea :)

Though, I would prefer to see each continent have this, but is randomly activated. Would be pretty cool to be flying around when suddenly a huge blizzard comes rolling in, forcing you to land and abandon your air vehicle until the weather subsides.
  4. forkyar

bad idea,no.
  5. Antivide

Earthquakes and meteor showers to make infantry and vehicle play nonexistent.

Then we'll call it fair.
  6. Starbridge

I wouldnt even make it rotate, just have random weather conditions. Let them happen mid flight time. Wind velocity, throw aircraft off balance and make the pilots have to worry about it, heck... even just something that lowers visibility.
  7. Aecune

I think this is a great idea, both its a easy solution to the "aircraft OP" issue and god forbid...realistic.

Weather is a major factor in battle, obscure the view of armies, cut off troops from their destination, and forcing key units from the battlefield. I would go further to make certain parts of the cont NO FLY ZONE: ADVISED....NO INFANTRY ZONE: ADVISED...NO GROUND VEHICLES: ADVISED. Make it a choice if I want to go to certain limited zone or I want to have infantry/air/ground vehicles in battle. It would give such a "actually there" feeling that you are in persistent world where the elements are for or against you...to take advantage of these for strategical purposes. You can play in the mood you feel like in right now...I'm more into infantry fights, tank fights, or dogfights or all together. I would not support it if it didn't have a choice to the idea. Should be put into effect once there is more continents.
  8. DrBashir

A nice idea for a different game.

Here is why: "Use weather as an EXCUSE"

You said it yourself you're looking for an excuse to not die to something you do not like. Simple as that.

Your fundamentally trying to change a major aspect of the game simply because you do not like dying to aircraft.

Do you understand how bad A-10 Warthogs and Apache helicopter gunships absolutely DECIMATE ground troops in real war?

Air superiority is the FIRST and most CRUCIAL thing to establish in ANY modern war - since the invention of huge flying crafts of metal and explosives.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?

This isn't real war, but it is a War game, it isn't about YOU and YOUR K/D RATIO.

OH YEAH: In a war of nanite regenerating soldiers and nanite equipment and we're supposed to be afraid of some "BAD WEATHER"?

Get Real
    • Up x 1
  9. Aelloon

Sure, and instant action doesn't work. Squad beacons don't work. You have to drive everywhere.

PS: enjoy your tankside 2 on that continent. Because even right now with this supposed OP air tanks are still the most numerous vehicles.
    • Up x 1
  10. Edmon

11. Protential

Cant read 7 pages but, do not stop them from flying aircraft, just make higher visiability worse and worse...Like more and more thick snow dense clouds etc.

So they have to fly low, and unskilled poilots will be crashing into everything.
  12. Protential

Read my above post, also are people forgetting Ps1 basically had to add in vehicle resistriced zones to make play fun for EVERYONE, does not take away from the people using those, just gives other options.

These aircraft in real life that "own" everything else on the ground, CAN be shot down, DO crash randomly etc. And well, we have only been using mainly aircraft recently and we are shooting unarmed, untrained, middle east countries. With no real AA defense. I bet they are saying "NERF AIR" also because they ahve no chance against it, fair cry.

An apache can not easily outrun a anti air missile...EVERY SINGLE TIME
  13. Yeo-Yin

DrBashir : but real world as nothing to do in a game. If the game was amazing and wonderfull with paper aircraft or flying superman-like people, it wouldn't be realistic but it would be nice to have it and stupid to remove it.

Game is a matter of fun. E-Sport is an other question, as fun can totally disapear and it's not really a "game" any longer.

Here, we want some place where we won't have to deal with aircraft, without removing tanks. Actually, it would be even better to also have some specific places with only aircraft or only infantry or only tank, or any couple of that three.

We don't need anything from real world. But, after we put something into the game because it's fun, then we can find a way to have a "from real world" explanation. We have recoil cause it adds some challenge. We don't have permanent death or ~50cm high jump because it's not fun.

So, if people want a place without aircraft and with a low visibility (to also remove snipers) i 100% agree with this idea. Nobody is obliging you to go there.
  14. Spectre63

I remember the battle islands....trust me: you don't want to use them to reinforce your argument ;)
  15. Xae

This.
  16. Xae

When people actually used them it was a a lot of fun. The problem was by the time they were introduced everyone who wasn't Certing Aircav had quit. Years before.
  17. Aelloon

Why don't you just play Battlefield? That game provides exactly what you want.

This is a combined arms game. I agree that adverse weather conditions affecting aircraft would be awesome, but you seriously can't claim that the game would be better if you had even more tanks. The ONLY reason why I fly so much is because people roll around in tanks 24/7 and there's nothing you can do about it as infantry. I have much better luck deterring air with a burster max than I have deterring tanks with a HA, because infantry just doesn't pose a threat to tanks. At least not in the numbers that tanks usually come in.

Instead of a no-air continent give me a no-tank continent and I'll be happy to play infantry on that.
  18. Yeo-Yin

it's strange enough that i fear more infantry than tanks. I play often (always) infantry and i can take tanks easily enough. But this is not the point. If the "no aircraft, no visibility" zone is tank only (i a doubt that it will be, tanks with no visibility are just nice beacon for infantry) then no infantry will play there and ? Is it a problem ? No, not at all. It will provide an other game experience, and this is a good thing.

I agree 100% with the idea of pve conts, and i also agree with the "no aircraft no visibility" zone. Provide a lot of place to players, and you'll see them where they like to go.

You know what ? i almost don't play ps2 any longer, i play firefall and i enjoy it a lot more than ps2. Cause in firefall you have real team experience, you can pve as you can pvp and it's a lot of fun. I prefer the graphism of ps2 though. But the air "pwn all" is just too boring.
  19. Edmon

We already have air only areas... it's only fair guys :).
  20. DrBashir

We don't have Sanctuaries as in PS1 and they wont be added either. Ps1 is not Ps2 , its not even a "sequel" its a "re-imagining"

Ad Hominem: You attacked your opponents personal traits in an attempt to undermine their arguement.

He directly stated he's looking for an excuse to render vehicles useless in certain areas. That's not an attack on a personal trait , its an attack on his own stated reasoning to justify the implementation of such a mechanic.

Did you take your final on logic 101 yet?

Maybe you can consider my assumption that he doesnt like rocket pods as an attack on his character, but i do not consider disliking being ripped apart by rocketpods a character trait. I hate it too, which is why i run for cover when i see rocket podders or Iet my max out or my AA reaver. Usually after I get utterly destroyed looking for cover.

Whats the reason for a no fly zone? Some people do not want to die to rocket pods or liberators?

Want a NO FLY ZONE? Planes cant fly in buildings dude.

"LETS MAKE IT FUN FOR EVERYONE" Ok Fine. Consider this:

When I 1v1 a magrider in flash I want his hover ability shut off within a certain proximity of my atv. A No Hover zone if you will. Its simply NOT FUN for me to fight a magrider that can hover while my little atv is forced to have its wheels on the ground. Magriders kill my flash every time and I have no chance. Or how about a NO TANK Zone so then we can have PURE FLASH BATTLES.

Silly.

Magriders and Flash's are very different things. Infantry and Aircraft are very different things. However this is ONE MASSIVE BATTLE FOR AURAXIS in which they ALL infantry/armor/air interact simultaneously.

This thread is essentially looking for " Instanced " fighting zones which were created so people wouldn't cry about competition in PVE MMOs (Ever experience train wars in old sebilis while trying to kill traknon? EQ1). Planetside is a massive competition between 3 factions.

If you want infantry close quarters fighting go camp inside buildings. Or play a different game. Changing the major aspects of this game using EXCUSES(in Op's own words) about weather is just silly
    • Up x 1