[Suggestion] Use weather as an excuse to let people play without aircraft

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Edmon, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Edmon

Here is a simple suggestion. In (ONE) of the continents there should be massively adverse weather conditions that prevent flying. Be it a massive snowstorm, a massive thunderstorm or a massive sandstorm depending on the region. This section should be highlighted as having todays "no fly zone".

Now people who want to play without air can and the continent they get to play in will rotate around. Those who aren't interested can go and play in the other continents.

Since X and Y people want X and Y, stop trying to make compremise Z and instead just literally have X (without air) and Y (with air) and let people choose.

/End OP Air discussion forever.

Btw: I am actually a game designer and if you want to contact me SoE I would be happy to provide my references and degree qualification documents and help you.

Edit note: Weather does not affect tanks, other than with slightly hampered visibility, only air.
    • Up x 37
  2. Gavyne

What a great suggestion.
    • Up x 2
  3. Phyr

I could see this working better when they release the mystical 3 other continents.
    • Up x 2
  4. Weylin

Yeah, and have another continent with Sarlaccs everywhere that'll eat AA MAXs and Skyguards
    • Up x 2
  5. Maximilious

No.

If people want to experience fast paced fps they should go fight inside the minibases where vehices can't get inside. Stop trying to turn this game into a CoD with more players, please.
    • Up x 6
  6. Edmon

No-one said you had to play in todays bad weather zone now did they? The only reason anyone would object to this is because they know there will be a lot less infantry around to farm if this goes in (in the two normal weather areas) and there will be a lot more A-2-A fighters in the air in the fly zones.

Obvious really. But if people don't want to play with air, why should they have to just to make you happy?

By the way, no said the weather would affect tanks now did they flyboy?
    • Up x 2
  7. Blarglesplat

That's a pretty good idea, would make vehicle combat interesting as well, you'd have some close range slugging matches, which would mix up the ground vehicle strengths and weaknesses and so on.
  8. SgtSomeone

[IMG]

Normally I would argue that aircraft should be a part of the game so you don't get vehicle on vehicle zergs, but by doing this people would have the choice. Player might even jump back and forth for different play styles every now and then.
    I remember way back when BF2 put no-vehicle mode as an option on servers, it was a nice change of pace sometimes.

Note: (obviously we're going to need at least ground vehicles. A continent is a little large for walking :) )
    • Up x 1
  9. Dkamanus

I can't fly for **** and I disagree completely with this idea. NO fly zones? What happens to players that like to play air?

What should be done is to make travel more difficult, but not impossíble. If it was impossible to fly, it would impossible to do everything else.
  10. Edmon

Read the post. The players that want air can simply play in fair weather sectors. No-one is making you play in the bad weather zone.
    • Up x 1
  11. TangoQD

I like your idea, but I don't appreciate the game telling me what I can and can't do.

I would feel much better about it if there was a high chance of your plane being destroyed as a result of flying in this dangerous area, instead of just having a 'TURN AROUND NOW!!' notification.
    • Up x 2
  12. SgtSomeone

No one is saying travel should be harder, only that planes be removed. I mean when was the last time you saw a Gal load up a ferry flight? Most people use the instant action deployment anyway.
    If you were really stuck on it though, they might be able to make an exception for an unarmed Gal...
  13. Blarglesplat

Well, let air play in the bad weather zone, they just have to deal with cyclonic winds, microbursts, thermals and downdraughts smashing them around. And no visiblity. :)
    • Up x 3
  14. Dkamanus

Which isn't a so good idea anyway. Flying units support organized gameplay as well. If wanted, Devs could make the flyers life more difficult in such zones. They would still be available, but would require much more sacrifice in order to fly on them.
    • Up x 1
  15. Dkamanus

If THATS happening, you'll end up making it a NO COMBAT zone.
  16. Blarglesplat

Why? Anything on the ground, especially military vehicles, aren't going to be particularly bothered by wind compared to air units.
    • Up x 1
  17. Edmon

This is well intended, but it'll just make newbies who blunder into flying in the hostile sky frustrated. It'll also defeat the whole safety feeling that people want from a no fly zone, allowing them to focus on epic ground battles.
  18. Bottar1

If they want to play an infantry game they can go play call of duty, games like battlefield 3 and planetside 2 are not meant for infantry combat only and people should just deal with it for gods sakes.

If they were paying for the game they wouldnt complain because they'd know what game they were buyin, and that it had vehicles that are gonna change up the gameplay.

---

If you added this then more things would need to be added to balance the game. There would be a billion tanks and SUNDERERS WOULD BE UNBELIEVABLE AND EVERYWHERE.

Sunderers are tanky enough and hard to spot when people hide them, and cause massive boring zergs of endless hours, you really would enjoy that.

---

TLDR - This idea would cause problems and massive whinefests about how it aint perfect
  19. Eduard K.

Lol, turn down effects and nothing ever happened.
  20. Mojo_man

My main point of contention with this is that certain bases are designed so that aircraft play an integral role in their defense\Capture. Removing it would either make it INSANELY easy to defend or attack. For example: Splitpeak Pass on Amerish or the Crown on Indar.