Is it fair to allow MBTs to be instagibbed by one rocketpod salvo?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Egg99, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Tasogie

lol my statement stands, it is both factual an relevant. he hs crying about a weapon that is designed to kill tanks. yes this is a fantasy game but it also has to get its physics from somewhere.... Next time you want to talk to me, I will expect a modicum of maturity, or els dont... because I will just block your teen abuse.
  2. Darkzero

I do not think that is true. Even if it's true, getting close and low to hit the back of a tank without misses and exiting the area alive is very difficult during huge fights. And you try to hover one spot, you got cannoned by MBTs easily.
  3. Durron

Rocket pod damage is fine. I've one shotted a ESF at 75% health with the main gun from my Vanguard as it was on a strafing run. The ESF has to get a solid run from the rear scoring direct hits every time to kill a MBT in one run. If they do.....good for them.
  4. Envision

Pretty much, I honestly can't recall the last time I had to fire more than 10 rockets (if that) at the rear of a tank when hitting it from low angles in the rear. Even if you could react to it, the extremely low TTK just means you're probably out in the open, with a now dead tank that's probably on cooldown depending on how long ago you pulled it. Not to mention, depending on how tied up your own empires air is (squad or not,) that ESF may just rocket you into the ground with what he has left - I know I do.

Why do people appeal to realism so much? Regardless of how factual and relevant your statement may be, I can also say that this is a fantasy GAME, and insinuate that PS2 probably get's its mechanics from both games that it attempts to imitate, as well as what feels grounded and more familiar to people. Appealing to realism is a double-edge, in that it's so subjective that someone with a differing opinion on what is good game play could completely disagree with the framework that you may like.

I, for one, like longer TTK. It may deny some kill opportunities for the aggressor, but it allows both parties more leeway into situations that they would not be able to avoid.
    • Up x 1
  5. Lubbe

In a perfect world it wouldn't be a problem since ESF would actively attack enemy ESF but that is not the case they are busy rocket podding with their face in the ground
  6. BengalTiger

The way I see it:

If there's an ESF nearby, rotate the tank so the front is facing it. That way a full rocket salvo won't get a Vanguard past 50% damage, so it's possible to survive 2 such attacks.
    It's also good to drive up a hill, so the ESF can't hit the top armor easily, while it also becomes possible to shoot back with the main gun.
    Moving while the rockets are already flying may result in many missing.

2 attacks is a good 4-6 shots at the ESF that's slowly moving in a straight line towards my gun barrel, which often means it is me who is going home, not the pilot. I shoot down more planes than I get blown up by them.

Against high altitude pilots- the Walker is a remedy, along with a competent gunner. Planes will often choose someone else to dive bomb. If not, the gunner might get a free kill.
    Even the M12 Kobalt does enough damage to fighters to make 'em see a red screen and go away.

Following a burning ESF on also gives lots of kills- the pilot has to land quickly, so he/she lands close to the battle area, still in range of the tank's main gun.

If anyone parks a tank out in the open, and doesn't pay attention to the ESF slowly driving up to their rear, the ESF should win, no questions asked.
    • Up x 2
  7. Tuco

If rocketpods are the "hard counter" to tanks and rocketpods kill tanks in 1 second, than AA is the "hard counter" to air and should be able to kill air in 0.25 seconds at any range.
  8. Tuco

...which is very to easy to aim at when a tank travels forward. In fact an ESF would to go out of their way to hit anything BUT the rear armor of a traveling tank.
  9. ImGladUmad

TBH...All instant kill ********...Is pissing me off.

Give infantry insta kill rocket launchers and AA.........

Everybody is getting insta kills now, why not us?
  10. Phoebus

Wrong, it takes 7/12, 8/14 or 9/16 rockets to kill a MBT from the back.
    Less than 2 seconds TTK. No skill required.
  11. Katana

It is okay, because this game isn't pay 2 win and buying overpowered weapons to **** **** up with ease enforces that.

Wait . . .
  12. Gortha

Ait is still OP against MBT burt since Update1 it´s getting better. If you move, while beeing shot by the Rocketpod-Noob you may survice the first wave and can repair asap. Perhaps you survive the next or get some cover in time...
  13. Uben Qui

Use a sniper rifle. Problem solved on the OHK issue. Or, use mines..Rockets to the face, grenades...
  14. Naterian

Hi...expert pilot here.

Most people on this forum just whine and complain about everything and really don't deserve any serious attention. But I will respond because the OP is genuinely looking for other opinions.

First of all you will always get a warning before an ESF attacks you. That warning is the actual sound that the engine emits, The reaver being the loudest, scythe in the middle and mosquito the most quiet. Nevertheless you can hear all these engines distinctly before they get close enough to "instagib" your tank.

Secondly the vanguard can activate it's shield in time before it gets destroyed which will most likely make the ESF cancel his attack...if not just one shot him with your main gun as he will be floating at very low altitude, very close to you. Magriders also have their boost which most of the time will push them out of the way but definitely isn't 100% like the vanguard shield. However like I said before you will always hear the ESF's engines and the Magrider is the MBT that has it the easiest when it comes to MBT vs ESF as it's extremely easy for them to keep their rear away from the incoming ESF. It also has the main cannon that is the easiest to shoot ESF down and the most deadly secondary when it comes to killing aircraft as well but I'm not here to complain. Sadly the Prowler has it the worst but that's not really a rocket pod related issue as it's a bad tank in general and will get killed by most things on the battlefield anyway.

Alright so I'm one of the best pilots on my server (Mattherson TR) and sure the TTK for rocket pods to the rear is a little absurd and could be raised a little but not much. I don't only just fly in this game, I do everything and I can understand how frustrating rocket pods can appear to the ground forces but if you don't have that experience of flying in the air then it just seems all easy mode to you. As an ESF when you go in for a rear shot on a tank you are making yourself extremely vulnerable, there are so many things that outright one shot you (which is fair) but that's all part of the risk-reward.

BTW Flak armor is totally worth investing in if you are tired of dying to rocket pods as infantry and in general isn't a bad idea...HE damage and Grenades most of the crap that kills you in this game is explosive damage anyway.

TLDR: If you need one of these you are probably one of those new age entitled ADD idiots that blow this forum up daily with endless whining.
    • Up x 1
  15. 13lackCats

Someone got blew up while they were trying to blew someone else up.
  16. ERICH

Get out of your tank you zergers
  17. CDN_Wolvie

My suggestion would be this, let ESF have their situational insta-gib but let MBTs have a certification option like this:

[IMG]

Other countermeasure systems being developed IRL have also been called Arena, Trophy, Chaff, etc.

Or alternatively, let the shotgun like Enforcer C85 blow up rockets before they impact, requiring a secondary gunner who is skillful and aware.

One could also argue the NC Vanguard already has this, with its shield, if it is activated soon enough.

There is a Mine Guard certification, why not a Rocket Guard certification?

Or hell, I can't believe I am saying this because TR already feel OP enough to me when they are gunning me down in a heartbeat, maybe it should be just the specifically the bonus of a Prowler when it Anchors in place, since the Vanguard has its Shield and the Magrider has its Magburner (and maneuverability).

If there was a Rocket Guard system, it would make all the usual ways of busting up a MTB frustrated, until they realized that tank would be more vulnerable to other tanks, mines, and so forth again. And there are always those CAS30 Tank Busters *shudders* Give and take, right?
  18. Darkzero

Yeah right , no skill. Flying an aircraft effectively in combat in itself takes more skill than driving a MBT. And 2 seconds? If the aircraft is in point blank range I guess.
  19. Darkzero

It's easy one on one, but not easy when there are so many other enemies around. Don't travel alone or even fly alone.
  20. Loco

IF plane is smart enough to hit it in ***, switching between rockets then machine gun while rockets reload, yes it should gib a tank in 6 seconds flat.

Tanks insta gib infantry with 1 hit from a long distance, plane insta gib tank.