Vulcan

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Silversharp, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Silversharp

So, WHEN WILL you nerf that (excuse my language) ******* blatantly overpowered FARMING tool (air, infantry, vehicles = you choose)
    Game update 18 december:

Balance
      • Harasser
        • Min COF increased from 0.5 to 1.1
        • COF bloom removed
        • Damage falloff max range increased from 65 to 95 meters
        • Clip size increased from 60 to 90
        • FP tracers increased to 1:1

Balance my f. ***!
    And yes, I'M TALKING EXCLUSIVELY ABOUT HARASSER VERSION.
    • Up x 1
  2. JohnGalt36

Instead of balancing the Vulcan, they are just going to add VS and NC Harasser weapons that are just as absurd. That's balance for you, I guess. Unless, of course, you are in a tank. Prepare your rear armor!
  3. ColonelChingles

The Vulcan design is problematic... and quite difficult to balance. Sort of like shotguns. Either you restrict them too much and break them or you are too permissive and they're overpowered.

Unlike shotguns though, Vulcans are extremely forgiving of missed or sloppy shots. That just compounds the problem.

Really the Vulcan-H should have its damage reduced by 40% to about 100 damage per shot. There's no reason why it should have the same maximum damage model as the full-sized 30mm MBT Vulcan given how it's a much smaller 20mm weapon. I mean even the description says that it "deal slightly less damage per hit" which is completely wrong at close range.

Both the Saron and the Enforcer do less damage per shot on their Harasser variants when compared to the MBT models (284 v. 250 and 500 v. 450 respectively). The Vulcan-H needs similar treatment.

Also the Harasser chassis is far too durable for what should just be a fancy go-kart. A single AP shell from any tank should be enough to set it on fire or kill it on contact (much like ESFs).
    • Up x 6
  4. SwornJupiter

Every faction has particular assets that are considered absurd by the other factions and are, of course, no fun to go up against. I mean, PS2's balance game is already in a delicate state. We've seen what both not nerfing, and over-nerfing can do (i.e. Banshee, Proton PPA, ZOE). Over-nerf the Vulcan and you really leave TR's AV capabilities in a piss-poor state - making the gaping hole in their AV arsenal even larger.
    While I do agree that toning down the Vulcan is justified from a subjective viewpoint, perhaps you should gain a few hours behind that mounted top gun. I assure you that its playstyle is both unique and challenging. But if pulled off correctly, it is absolutely rewarding, which explains its popularity.
    In a Vulcan (Unlike Saron/Enforcer), communication is a must. So go grab a gunner. Running a 1/3 Vulcan harrasser is suicide because you need to park up close to your target to have any effect, not to mention that you're stationary whilst doing so. The VS and NC equivalent is another story, as you can park safely on a hill some distance away and continue to chip away at enemy armor.
    I have no clue how you think the Vulcan shreds air or infantry apart because its stupidly weak against both as a result of both its static COF and its poor muzzle velocity (300ms^-1). But hey, you can kill anything with anything if your opponent happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    I suggest you wait for the new ES MBT/Harrasser weapons to be released, and then make an intelligent decision. Comparing the Vulcan to the Saron/Enforcer is comparing apples to oranges in a sense because each weapon entails completely different styles and approaches to how to successfully use it.
    • Up x 4
  5. ATRA_Wampa-One

What does the VS have that's OP right now?
  6. Hatesphere

That's a loaded qurstion, wait for about 4 replys all stating the Orion.
  7. ATRA_Wampa-One

You mean the weapon that's about to get nerfed?

Or do you mean the Betelgulse since that's also about to get nerfed?

Or maybe the SVA-88... oh wait, also getting nerfed.

So maybe what does the VS have that is OP and isn't about to be nerfed?

Oh, and Anchor > Orion right now and the Anchor is about to be buffed.
  8. SwornJupiter

If your faction needs to be nerfed that frequently, there is clearly something wrong with your faction balance. It's not entirely the fault of the playerbase. The devs have tallied up the statistics and clearly seen that some aspects of the VS arsenal are blatantly better than the other faction counterparts...
  9. Cham

If you're dying to Vulcan Harassers (or just Harassers in general), you're bad at the game and should uninstall.
    • Up x 1
  10. Thardus

Now how is this productive?
  11. NXR1

Just stop, its terrible at any range that isnt point blank just cause it can beat you doesnt make it OP
    • Up x 1
  12. ATRA_Wampa-One

And yet the Anchor is out performing the Orion on live... so what stats are they looking at?
  13. Udnknome

PPA?
  14. XenoxusPrime

The Orion was the only weapon in the VS arsenal that clearly out performed the other options, if you want to talk about powerful weapon choices you should run on NC and see how much better they are in almost every aspect. Besides when looking it up many of the higher skilled players run on VS so it directly buffs the stats of those counterparts.
  15. FieldMarshall

I think they should:
    Reduce mag.
    Increase reload speed.
    Tighten COF.
    Reduce dropoff penalty.

The problem (i personally had) with the old Vulcan was its crappy range. That was it.
    The problem wasent not being able to 1-clip MBTs, so i have no idea why they made the mag size so ridiculous.

I dont know, they had pretty good balance with the vehicle shotguns in PS1. Specifically the Hammer and Osprey.
    Pellet spread was tight enough to be effective at range, but the dmage was low enough to not dominate everything at short range.
    Same with the Scattermax in PS1. Had multiple fire modes that could tighten spread enough for longer ranges but lowered the ROF to compensate.

I think that most people hear the word shotgun and automatically assume it has to have bad range, and be op at anti-infantry in CQB.
    When in reality SOE had a "fix" for shotgun balance over 10+ years ago.
    Not saying its perfect, but its better than what we have imo.
  16. Jubikus

People keep saying this i dont think they look at the statistics on how well they are preforming. http://ps2oraclestats.com/monthlystats/
    Vulcan Harasser is pulled almost twice as much as its VS an NC counterparts (likely do to how easy to use it is) however it does not in any way out preform them in any manner to suggest a nerf since they all preform relatively the same the only thing i can think of is since there's twice as many pulled there's a perception problem among the players that gives it the illusion of being overpowered.
  17. Jubikus

Many of the higher skilled players play on all 3 factions.
  18. \m/SLAYER\m/

NC AI MAX?
    • Up x 1
  19. NXR1

What about it?
  20. Disconsented

• Up x 3