We knew it was coming :(

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HadesR, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeyGeeMan

I'm smelling backport.
  2. asdfPanda

Some of these lambs were actually good though. It doesn't make sense to get rid of good workers unless you're going to milk a cow dry.

Except in the greater scope of things, what happens to other SOE games is completely relevant to what happens to PS2. SOE was sold because they weren't turning a profit.
  3. HadesR

Hopefully the remaining Devs can steer the game away from the RedeployMaxZergBunnyHoppingMediKitJunkieHeavyVehicleExplosionShallowCrutchSide and turn it into the game it can be..

Or else I don't see it lasting to the end of the year
  4. Iridar51

Even if you worked at SOE you wouldn't know for a fact if these employees were good, or why SOE really was sold.
    It's easy to be an armchair game designer / company manager, but we simply don't have enough facts to render judgement.
    Actual people in charge of SOE do have facts, and those people are worth millions of dollars, so by default they are not idiots. Keep calm and have trust.
  5. MajiinBuu

Farewell, random strangers...
  6. nukularZ

Maybe these people should think about KickStarting PS3 and doing it right!
    • Up x 1
  7. sustainedfire

What's the issue ?
  8. Ribero

• Up x 2
  9. FnkyTwn

Apparently they let the "build master" from three different titles go, so it seems like the position wasn't something that couldn't be done by others already. So instead of handing stuff off to a person who's only job was to "make the build", the coding teams will be responsible for putting it together themselves. It's not that the position was unnecessary, as much as it was a luxury, and that DBG is looking to trim the fat.

Most of the layoffs were focused around Everquest/Landmark, and that was supposed to be "the future", so if anything people expected that to be DBG's flagship. The real test will be if they have another round of layoffs focused on PS2. If that happens, it'll be a portend of the end. You really just want one round of layoffs, which shows that you've got your higby together, instead of multiple rounds where it seems aimless.
    • Up x 1
  10. DxAdder

Well if any of the people let go were responsible for the Valkyrie, the TRAP, the Revamped Striker or the AV sniper rifle that isn't a sniper rifle, I'm not really sad to see them go.

In the end I think in 3-6 months we will see some major improvements.
  11. GoTDirt fromMAG

Well considering the "openness to the community" persona of SOE, we shall see whether Daybreak will follow that impression/tradition. Considering they have an avenue for transparency with livestreamed or recorded video to declare more sternly their intentions, & to give a drumbeat for those to follow.

And I'd encourage the new owners to license G.I.Joe from Hasbro tomorrow & start printing money hand over fist.
  12. Rraymondo316

The game is pretty much being put in maintenance mode

Other then adding things to the game they can make money from i very much doubt we will ever see anymore new content

Give up all hope on ever seeing a finished resource revamp, continental lattice, battle islands, interlink facility, finished mission system, new continents, faction buggies etc etc

What we have now is pretty much what the game will always be :(
    • Up x 1
  13. Ripfield

@Iridar51 Hi, I simply fail in connecting your comment with what OP said. Could you enlighten me? Very nice quote, though.
  14. asdfPanda

Well, I hope that they're making the correct decisions. Although, I can't see how getting rid of a strong base designer with proven skills, as well as a good community manager are good decisions.
  15. P4nda

Bye!

Don't be coming back now!
  16. Kevanov

We have two choices, either start ps3 from scratch or buy back ps2 and finance our own development team. I could get a ton of good developer interested in the project.

with passion, dedication, skills and a good business model, PS2 could be successful, but of course there is no such thing as passion in the modern era of game development.
    • Up x 1
  17. Klypto

They fired a substantial portion of the PS2 staff.

We can expect game development to stall entirely.
    • Up x 3
  18. iller

TRUTH

They freaking fired Dave whatshisname... Mr Everquest himself. That's like Disney firing Gearge Lucas.... No wait, some people would actually enjoy that... No it'd be more like some Korean bank buying Blizzard and then firing Chris Metzen & Rob Pardo.

There's bound to be more axing than just what we saw this week
    Y'all can blame the "global Economy" and all those stupid Trade Agreements from Clinton's era for this crap.
  19. NoctD

RIP PS2 indeed. He was the only higher up PS2 Dev with a maturity to run the game properly.
    • Up x 1
  20. sustainedfire

Not entirely, now ps2 i's gping to be ported to xbox also.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.