We knew it was coming :(

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HadesR, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OptimusPrime1234

Been fun. Now that the state of the company and this game is confirmed 100%, I'll be on my way as well. I'll still derp around Connery until they decide to shut down the servers, but that's about it. At least we can IMAGINE what this game could'be been. It had potential.

Signing off,
    OptimusPrime1234
    • Up x 1
  2. x7xBillyDaKidx7x

The gaming industry is a fast paced machine !! Let the games begin !! Think ill be holding off on my next membership purchase until i see what happens next. Who knows maybe they are just taking out the trash and making room for bigger and better ideas !!
  3. DxAdder

Odd to see these forums tame compared to Reddit on this topic.

But to be fair you don't invest this kind of money with out a plan on how to make a profit. I'm sure they have enough
    people to get H1Z1 to the finish line and finish the porting of PS2 to the PS4.

And remember they have to hire New talent to bring these games to the Xbox One as well.

Time will tell if they have made the right choices and it's unfortunate that people have lost there jobs but
    i would hold off on the doom and gloom for awhile.
  4. asdfPanda

Well Xander being let go sure is.
    • Up x 4
  5. LibertyRevolution

So they fired the level designer, and the build master?
    These are the guys that made the bases and ok'ed them?
    The same bases that are in valleys with mountains next to them so that tanks can shell into them?
    If so, I say good call Daybreak. ;)
    • Up x 2
  6. z1967

The more I look into who was laid off, the more it looks like a game of thrones episode. idk what they are thinking getting rid of these people. These are hardly redundant positions. It will be really hard to replace them, too...
  7. Maelthra

They're probably going to make someone else take over those responsibilities and pay them the same as if they were just doing their original job.
  8. Pootisman

They fire level desinters? Really?

If anything, they need MORE level designers. So many bases in the game need an overhaul, so many areas have a bad battleflow and Hossin is still not finished.

Its really bad news when they start firing important content creators. I wouldnt be surprised if they make an annoucement in the next days, saying that PS2 development will be stopped.
    • Up x 1
  9. PhoenixError

I don't think it's too surprising, don't people usually get axed after most takeovers? Still wouldn't be too optimistic or pessimistic just yet, could understand wanting to cancel subscriptions or not buy station cash with the uncertainty on how things go forward with the layoffs (I still think, business wise, stabilizing the PC version while you get the PS4 and Xbox One versions ready for release makes the most business sense).

Wonder if they'll consolidate into one studio, not sure how much room they need (and if either studio has it). I'd assume have two studios has be pretty damn expensive, especially when one is in San Diego.
  10. Iridar51

I don't know who Xander is, and I can't know if he deserved to be fired.
    But people don't get fired for a job well done, unless the company just can't afford the position, which is clearly not the case.
  11. LibertyRevolution

Is this site running really slowly today for everyone? I'm getting tons of errors and timeouts..
    Just wondering if they are being DDoS'ed?? Feels like it to me from here..
  12. asdfPanda

Correct if I'm wrong on this, but 40% of the work force there was cut? Xander was a base designer, such bases as Gourney Dam were his work. I think he did a lot of work on Amerish and Koltyr; personally, I liked many of his bases.

But then, why would Daybreak let go of the build manager, of all people too?
    • Up x 4
  13. KnightCole

Now get rid of the game balance team and start over.......then maybe we can get tanks that you FEAR to stand in front of. We can get Anti Air guns that work, Hit detect that atleast allows 50% of our rounds to detect 85% of the time....we can get cont lock removed, a working logistics system that means something, cooler bases, less laggy game play.....
  14. Iridar51

I don't know or care to know how many people got fired. I'm not even sure why they publish this info. It's not like anything will come out of that except for wild speculation of unqualified people like us here.
    We have to believe that:
    A) People don't get fired without a reason.
    B) Whoever decided the firing is not an idiot, and doesn't have the goal of ruining the company, as that would be bad for everyone.

Do you remember a time when every patch would crash the servers for at least a day? Remember a time when every new patch would reintroduce a bug that fixed already in the past?

Not sure about the first, but second part is surely the job of the buildmaster. To this day, they still can't fix once and for all the two year old bug with incorrect generator icons on the minimap.
    • Up x 1
  15. Iridar51

You chose.
  16. asdfPanda

I understand, but you can be a genius AND an *******(if this is censored, you know what I mean :p ). Yeah, you can raise a healthy cow and sell its milk, but you can also slaughter it for its meat.

I do. But this layoff isn't unique to PS2. H1Z1's build master was also laid off.
  17. FateJH

If your posting record is any indication, I don't recall you ever saying you were happy anyway. Greener pastures time is probably for the best.
  18. Foxirus

I won't unsubscribe. I view this as a chance to FINALLY get something done with the game. I have been playing planetside 2 a long time now and could CLEARLY see that in the hands of Sony, It was going to end in ruin. I personally don't recognize any of the devs that are being let go, Maybe because they never cared to post in THE OFFICIAL FORUMS to begin with.

Truthfully? I am glad Sony sold everything out, That company is a sinking ship. At least now we have A CHANCE for things to be done right. The old route we were going with Sony? Nothing good would have come of it. Nothing but broken promises, delayed half ***** content releases and glaring bugs that went ignored for ******* months, EVEN YEARS.

Do what needs to be done, Cut out who you need to cut out. Get this ******* game out of the ditch Sony put it in.

I'll be glad to give Daybreak Gaming a chance. Its not like they can do anymore damage than Sony was going to do if they had kept it... I am here for the long run, I want to see this game become something truly amazing. I feel Daybreak Gaming will make that happen, Not Sony, Not SOE.
    • Up x 2
  19. Iridar51

It's just business. As a consumer, I don't really care if leader is an ******* or Mother Theresa, as long as the game is good, and if the good game requires slaughtering a couple of lambs then so be it.

I prefer to pretend PS2 is the only SOE game, so I don't have an opinion as to what happens elsewhere.
  20. The Funk

Being laid off and being fired are two very different things.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.