[Suggestion] About Vanu Heat Mechanic

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by a-koo-chee-moya, Aug 28, 2014.

1. a-koo-chee-moya

From my point of view, it certainly looks like the devs are pushing to make all VS weapons have heat mechanic. First, Higby mentions it (I'm not 100% sure on this, so correct me if I'm wrong), and then it gets implemented on Auraxium Weapons. I'm perfectly fine with this, as long as they take their time. Even one stat could make the difference between UP and OP. That's why I'm suggesting a sort of "beta test" for heat mechanic.

It would be a separate attachment in its own slot that would be free. This would allow for extensive testing to prevent VS from simply being thrown overboard and told to sink or swim. Usually, it is enough to simply put it on the test server, but a faction wide change needs much more testing.

What do you think?
    • Up x 8
  2. DatVanuMan

AHHHHHHHHHH, WHATEVER.
    For science. I really support the heat mechanic, BUT I DO want to try it first. I'm with you on this.
    • Up x 2
  3. DatVanuMan

Plus, FREE AMMO! :p
  4. DFDelta

I guess this is why it goes live first only on the aurax weapons.

Also ensures that the only people who test it first are the ones with enough experience to really tell the difference.
    • Up x 1
  5. Amrok1

The directive rewards are the test for this, and they are glorious (for the most part. The carbine could use two or three more shots before over-heat). Learn to control your fire and you will love this new system. Don't, and well, you'll continue posting to these forums and looking the fool.
  6. DatVanuMan

I really support the new mechanic, but I can't get my hands on an Auraxium weapon:( I need to try it out!
  7. Morti

hey it's like mass effect 1 all over again
  8. a-koo-chee-moya

Except you have to be really invested in one class to get auraxium weapons, which seriously limits who can test them.
  9. Amrok1

I have all three directive reward weapons in question, plus a few more. If you're so concerned about them, then take the time to get them. Otherwise trust those who have access to them to give honest feedback on them. Additionally, those who have them have experience in all the other weapons in that class and can give an honest comparison on them.
  10. a-koo-chee-moya

I'm not the best at this game, and the most kills I have currently on anything is the Orion with 324: https://www.planetside2.com/players#!/5428196144902198993 It'd probably take me another 24 hours of just using it to aurax it, not to mention the 2 others to get the Beetlejuice. The majority of players cannot simply just get the Auraxium weapons and try them

I can trust your opinion, but is it the option of the faction as a whole? If there is a faction wide weapon change, the whole faction must get the opportunity to test it out.
  11. Amrok1

You're assuming things not in fact yet. This isn't a faction wide change. This is three weapons and is considered as a test for the idea in general. They will get initial feedback from experienced players who can give them informed opinions on how it performs, and this is fine for now as the directive rewards are rewards for becoming an experienced player. If they broaden the mechanic to affect all VS weapons, or even the majority of them, they will expand the testing opportunities to get a broader response from the player base. I know Higby has said they would like to expand it, but obviously they haven't yet. So again, treat this as a test of the mechanic limited to players who are experienced in the majority of weapons in those classes.
  12. a-koo-chee-moya

Experienced players are the minority, and thus, will only give a minority opinion to SOE on how to push ahead.
  13. AdmiralArcher

so you have one of the guns?

is the ammo drawn from a large ammo pulll? or is it infinite?......is it like the phaseshift?
  14. DatVanuMan

Do I count as an experienced player if I have played this game for 1,300+ hours but had my earlier two accounts deleted because of technical purposes? I mean, I am far from getting the Auraxium with the Orion, but I would like to test the heat mechanic without spending so much time on something that can take me forever to accomplish. Plus, I'm a major advocate of the mechanic, so I should be able to test it:p
    • Up x 1
  15. DatVanuMan

Why all the Phaseshift hate, man?
  16. AdmiralArcher

ahahahah....i didnt even notice i spelled it wrong XD

dont worry, i dont use if enough to bother passing judgement
  17. Amrok1

Better than the majority giving an uninformed opinion, which is being repeatedly done on these forums.
    • Up x 2
  18. DatVanuMan

Okay:D It's the type of gun that most will hate but some will swear by. I am part of the some, and for a reason. I feel hurt when someone talks trash about my beautiful woman. Shifta is amazing, people can't understand her unique complexity:p
  19. DatVanuMan

Not all of these majority players will give an uniformed opinion. Also, how would you DEFINE this type of opinion? Is it like:
    -I hate this mechanic, remove it now.
    OR
    -This mechanic is very inefficient (Despite getting thousands of kills in an hour *EXAMPLE*), remove it.
    Because if I like the mechanic after trying it out, I would say:
    Plenty of advantages are offered by this mechanic. I can use them in many ways to fight more effectively.
    And if I don't like it, I would say:
    The mechanic does not have enough pros to make up for the cons, because __________________________.
  20. Amrok1

I have the LMG, AR, Carbine, Battle Rifle, and Sniper Rifle, though the BR and SR do not have this feature. There is no ammo pool or magazine. Instead there is a heat bar, similar to what you see on the wall mounted turrets and it operates in a similar fashion. The instant you stop firing they start to cool down. Which means if you fire in bursts of 5 or 6 with a 1-2 shot time rest in-between each burst you can extend out the fire time. You can also switch to the sidearm and allow the main weapon to cool down, provided of course that you didn't overheat. If you overheat the weapon, you have to replace the core to cool the weapon off. And this is a very important issue that is overlooked. You can replace the core before the overheat and it's done at the short reload speed, or you can fire to overheat and replace the core at the long reload speed.

It is very possible that the rate at which each weapon overheats is off for what would work for the general public, but the developers can adjust that on a per weapon basis. As I said in a previous post, the carbine looks like it might need such an adjustment in either the rate it overheats (slowing that down) or the rate it cools down (speeding that up).