The Queen's Butt-kicking Infantry Guide 2.0

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ViXeN, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ViXeN

INTRODUCTION

I was lucky enough to learn from some of the best players in gaming when I was a kid so now it is my turn to help players learn to become better gamers. This started out as a general FPS guide but I have tried to add a lot of PS2-specific content as well. And almost all of these tips apply to PS2 anyway. I also added a Bonus Guide for teams or players that want to become serious competitive teams that may be interested in playing in tournaments and even getting sponsored. Enjoy! And if you have any recommendations for the next version of my guide, feel free to let me know. And feel free to post any feedback. Hopefully this won't get trolled like my last one. :rolleyes:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CONTENTS
    1. Who is the Queen and why should anyone follow your advice?
    2. (Optional) Gearing Up in Real Life: Before you even get started.
    3. Basics: How to stop dying so much like DJPenguin.
    4. Advanced: How to kick *** like the Queen.
    5. Squad Tips: How to work well within a squad and be a team player.
    6. Dealing with Shotgun Users.
    7. Early Cert Guide for Heavy Assault
    8. Bonus Guide: So you and your team want to be competitive/pro?
    9. Want to have your game-play evaluated?
    10. Other Recommended Reading/Watching for a Heavy Assault.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WHO IS THE QUEEN AND WHY SHOULD I FOLLOW YOUR ADVICE?

This is a fair question if you are new to the game and have no idea who I am. Well, I have been a competitive gamer pretty much since my first month of playing games back when I was just a little kid playing Tribes 1 and I have consistently been one of the top players on nearly every FPS game I played. I was the top-ranked player on two Counterstrike servers, I was ranked #1 for different two maps on Combat Arms, I was one of the top Modern Warfare 2 players, I have been in the top 5 of the daily kills board for Planetside 2 several times, I was one of the top players on Tribes and made it into the top five (including #1) multiple times for that game on the old CLQ site, I have consistently had a high K/D on every game (if you care about that), etc.. As I said in my pro-gaming section, I was also a member of two e-sports clans that competed in tournaments and played in two singles tournaments myself. I have also been recruited into many competitive teams for leagues and ladders. I have been in a total of 31 clans and many were top-ranked on games like Tribes, MW2, etc... If you want to know more you can also click the link to my blog in my forum sig. But yeah, when it comes to infantry (especially rushing) game-play, I definitely know what I'm doing. :D
    (OPTIONAL) GEARING UP IN REAL LIFE: BEFORE YOU EVEN GET STARTED

* While any great player can overcome the disadvantage of low fps on an average PC or lag from a shaky connection, it definitely helps to have the best.

* I would suggest buying the fastest internet connection you can afford and a pc good enough to play most games at a decent frame-rate. The most important thing you can do is invest in a really good gaming pc. Building your own is much cheaper than buying a high-end system from Alien Ware or another company that specializes in gaming computers. I would also recommend buying the right accessories, such as any of the following:

Mouse: Personally I recommend the Razer Mamba but there are plenty of good alternatives such as Razer's Imperator or DeathAdder or Logitech's G9X. I also use a Razer Nostromo with my mouse instead of a keyboard when I play FPS games. But I should also point out that comfort is extremely important. It doesn't matter how great a mouse is if it feels awkward to you.

Keyboard: If you choose to use a keyboard in games I don't really have any suggests because I don't believe it makes a huge difference. I have a Razer Arctosa but like I said, i don't use it for FPS games.

Headset: I own a Razer Megalodon but there are plenty of other great high-end headsets out there. Having a really good headset is extremely important for FPS games so that you can clearly hear gunfire and footsteps.

And keep in mind, these are just the things I prefer. If you don't like Razer products, there are plenty of great alternatives out there. Most importantly you need to find products that you are comfortable with using.

BASICS: HOW TO STOP DYING SO MUCH LIKE DJPENGUIN. :eek:

These are the first things you should learn if you want to be a better player.

* The first thing you should do as a new player is NOT TO WORRY ABOUT YOUR KDR. You are going to die a
    lot at first. I am a VERY good FPS gamer and I was only able to hold a 2.1 KDR during my first couple of weeks on the game, which is pretty low for me. If you worry too much about dying then you're not going to be very effective as a player and you certainly won't become as good as you could be by playing this way.

* Practice, practice, practice! Becoming an elite player requires a lot of effort. Remember, winning is what its all about so spending more time practice and preparing is always a good thing. And this doesn't just apply to multi-player. While this option isn't available on PS2, one thing I like to do in single player on other games is to always play them on the highest difficulty.

* Three almost as important words you want to memorize: Rush, Retreat, Reload. This is my personal gaming mantra and it will improve your game dramatically once it becomes a habit for you. What this means is if you are a rusher, you want to rush hard at the enemy and most of the time you kill someone, you should immediately back away (around a corner preferably) and if its safe, reload. Reload constantly as long as its safe to do so. Then you just need to rinse and repeat. But never reload in the same spot where you kill someone, always move back first to a safer spot (around a corner for example) because you never know when another player will rush at you.

* Confidence is the key to everything. Its like the foundation for a house and things like skill and experience are the house itself.

* Move, move, move! Never stand still when enemies are around. There is one game where camping in one spot will get you killed quickly so try to avoid that unless you are protecting a gen, control point, doorway, etc... And especially don't do it when you are out in the open. There are snipers everywhere on this game so you have to be constantly moving. This means you should be moving and strafing when you are repairing vehicles or reviving/healing as well unless you are well-hidden behind cover. Never stand still when firing during close combat either. Always strafe right and left or you're just an easy kill for your opponent. Your accuracy will decrease at first but once you master firing while strafing, your success will increase substantially.

* Constantly work on improving your aim. The VR can be okay for improving but I would recommend something like aimbooster.com instead. This little game can definitely help improve your aim over time.

* Learn to run erratically (such as zig-zagging) if you are running in the open or rushing a sniper and can't flank him. Running in a straight line will only get you killed.

* Learn how to burst-fire properly. As a rusher you are most likely using a gun with recoil so you need to learn to use short bursts instead of holding down the mouse key.

* Never stand still when firing during close combat. Always strafe right and left or you're just an easy kill for your opponent. Your accuracy will decrease at first but once you master firing while strafing, your success will increase substantially.

* Stay focused on your objective. Don't let yourself become rattled by a death streak or trash-talk. If you rage, you lose.

* Join an outfit. Becoming a member of an organized team can be a great way to learn how to play the game. You can learn how to play better by watching what they do in situations and you can improve your teamwork as well. Don't be afraid to ask them questions. Most teams are willing to help new members become better.
    • Up x 12
  2. ViXeN

ADVANCED: HOW TO KICK *** LIKE THE QUEEN. :D
    * Avoid the urge to go for headshots in every situation. A lot of people will tell you that you should always go for headshots, including many competitive gamers. However, I completely disagree unless you happen to be playing as a sniper. For a CQC player, I think going for the much safer and easier to hit torso shots is the smarter way to play. Headshots are much harder to hit, especially if the player is moving or strafing. And in a game like this (low TTK and a lot of enemies) you can't really afford to make mistakes, which includes missing shots. I generally only go for headshots in certain situations, such as when I have a clear shot on an enemy and he or she doesn't see me yet or in desperate situations like when I am severely outnumbered. Also, aim for the lower part of the torso if your gun has a lot of recoil.

* When going around a corner, aim your cross-hair through the corner. You will get accused of wall-hacking often but you will take down a lot of players this way.

* Learn to choose the right weapon for each battle. For example, if you're going to be in a BioLab or tower, you should choose a good CQC/medium weapon. If you're in a long-range stalemate, then choose a good medium/long range weapon. And the same goes for other equipment. If you're on a biolab airpad and trying to get inside, toss some smoke to help cover your teammates. Yes, night-vision scopes allow you to see through smoke but not everyone uses them. Also, MAXs and Engineer Turrets don't have night-vision so it still gives you an advantage. Concussion and flash grenades can also be really useful in these situations.

* Learn to Use cover (trees, rocks, elevated terrain, buildings, etc...) when running. Try not to run out in the open if it can be avoided and learn to use objects to block line of sight from as many angles as possible.

* Learn how to set up a battle in a way that gives you an advantage. For example if you are alone and run around the corner of a building to find a couple of enemies waiting for you, immediately run back around it instead of of just trying them on right there. That will at least usually give you the first shot on them and you may be able to take one down immediately to even the odds. Another good tactic to help set up a battle in your favor would be.......

* Learn to use distractions to your advantage. If enemies are camping in a small building with more than one exit, toss a grenade near the opposite entrance that you plan to use. Some or maybe all of them will be focused on that entrance, giving you the perfect chance to clear the room.

* Study everything. Start by watching a LOT of videos. One of the most important aspects of improving your game is to watch videos of the current top players and clans to see what they do in different situations and how they adapt when their strategies go awry. Learn what strategies people like to use and how to counter them. Its also important to constantly record your own games so I would suggest buying a large hard drive. And that brings me to my next tip...

* Eliminate your weaknesses. You need to watch these videos OBJECTIVELY, recognizing and learning from your mistakes. Everyone has certain things they don't do well and mistakes they are prone to making so those need to be worked on. If you're bad at rushing or maybe using certain weapons, get some practice.

* When going around a corner, aim your cross-hair through the corner. You will get accused of wall-hacking often but you will take down a lot of players this way.

* Practice with ALL weapons and roles in a game. Being versatile is extremely important to becoming a well-rounded player.

* Choose your shots. Sometimes its not always best to take the first shot you have when you see someone and they don't see you, especially if they are at a distance and you don't have a long-range weapon. Play smart.

* Don't be afraid to be reckless and catch them by surprise. Sometimes the best strategy can be doing exactly what your opponent wouldn't expect, such as rushing straight into their camping spot. But always try to anticipate where people will be before you do it. Its not a helpful strategy if you just die repeatedly.

* Anticipate. Learn to predict your enemy's routes and camping spots by knowing the maps and base layouts completely.

* Learn to use objects to block grenade blasts especially if you're with a large group camping a room. People will always toss grenades in there so be alert and be ready to move behind something.

* Like with any FPS game, you should learn the maps and base layouts. And I mean everything about them. Memorize every single feature, items that can be used for cover, all of the favorite camping spots,
    rushing routes, best grenade spots, etc...

* Don't be predictable. Don't keep running the same route to a spot over and over or hiding in the same spot. Most people aren't that stupid so don't expect to continuously catch them by surprise with the same tactics. And if you're a sniper, always change positions after you kill someone.

* Learn to flank. If you can become a good flanker, you can be the game-changer for your team. All you need to do is learn what routes people take and where they like to camp. Also watch your own flank. Don't expect anyone else to do it. Even if you see people behind you, don't just assume that they will be there a few seconds later unless you are part of an organized clan.

* If you run into a MAX and there is no cover nearby, immediately run up next to him (at an angle, don't go head-on) and circle around him while firing and staying close the entire time. This will often disorient MAX players and make it difficult for them to target you. You wouldn't believe how many times I kill MAXes with this tactic. It will take some practice but once you master this you will often be able to take down MAXes with your Heavy Assault. Oh, if you see the MAX before he sees you then try to hit him with a rocket before you run up to him, if possible. The extra damage will make it much easier to take him down.

* Always assume that enemies are going to be around every corner and in every room. If you take a point in a heavily contested base then assume that a horde of enemies is about to rush in immediately. Always be ready so that you don't get caught off guard.

* Sometimes the best thing you can do to help your faction and be very effective is to spend the majority of your time in enemy territory. I often like to spend time where enemies are located, flanking campers, sweeping sniper spots and generally wreaking havoc. If you can consistently interrupt the enemy's game plan, you have already been a huge help to your faction.

* Its not just about pure skill. Things such as instincts, awareness, being able to adapt and playing smart are just as important as pure skill. The first one can't be taught but its something you should be able to develop over time. As for the other three...

* Situational Awareness. You need to know what is going on around you at all times. You need to listen for sounds such as infiltrators uncloaking, the clunky MAX footsteps, sniper shots, vehicles, etc.. You also need to watch for movement, know where people are probably going to rush from, where your teammates are, watch areas where people like to camp, if you are in a room pay attention to any door that isn't being guarded, always check every corner when you are entering a room, be aware of where you are and the terrain around you, pay attention to ledges and spots above you where people like to camp and get easy kills, watch for grenades and learn to use objects to block the explosion, constantly look around and don't spend too much time facing one direction, don't expose yourself to sniper shots when you are in the open, etc... From what I have seen so far I'd say a large percentage of the PS2 population has a severe problem in this area.

* Always keep an eye on the mini-map to Watch for enemies, control points being taken, vehicle locations, friendly deaths, etc... The mini-map is your most reliable team-mate in the game.

* Learn to adapt. This is something I always discuss whenever I write a new guide because learning to adapt well to any situation is one of the most useful traits for a gamer. During any game things rarely go exactly as planned so teams and even individual players need to learn how to deal with different situations. Learn how to deal with unexpected strategies from your opponents or other problems that can occur. If you can't adapt, you're not going to make it far as a gamer. I have a few exercises you can do to help you. First of all, we all have certain strategies we use most of the time so my advice would be to throw it out the window and just do things you wouldn't normally do. If you prefer using a certain rushing route into an area then pick another random route and try it for a while. And use a weapon or class that you wouldn't normally choose. The point is to get outside your normal comfort zone and adapt to new situations.

* Play smart! Don't go rushing into areas if you don't know where the enemy is located. Take it slow and be cautious. Learn to predict other people's actions and counter them. Being able to outsmart your opponent can often get you a win when skill alone isn't enough. And remember that it can often come down to positioning.

SQUAD TIPS: HOW TO WORK WELL WITHIN YOUR SQUAD AND BE A TEAM PLAYER

* Develop teamwork. The best teams in gaming don't always have the best individual players but they still beat everyone else because they function better as a team. Don't worry about your points or kills, focus on your objectives, learn to communicate well with your team, etc... Once you establish some real teamwork, you'll be on your way to success.

* Communicate! You should have a mic if you're part of any regular squad or outfit so always let them know what you're doing, use location call-outs to let them know where enemies are and where you are, if you need a revive or repair, vehicle locations (especially sundies), etc... Also use either proximity chat or regional chat to let other people in your faction know the important things (like enemy sundy locations or what area needs to be defended or attacked) Just keep all random chatter to a minimum.

* Learn to follow directions from your Squad and Platoon leaders. If they tell you go stand in the middle of nowhere then do it. If you disagree with the leader, then maybe send him or her a tell or something but don't mention it on voice chat unless they ask for opinions. Just assume that they know what they are doing.

* Choose your role based on both your own skills and the those of your teammates. If you are playing with a group you know well or you see that your faction is lacking certain roles in a battle then switch to help. But only do so if you can actually play that role well and if you can accomplish more to help with that role than you could with your other one. Like if you're a medic and aren't very good playing a serious combat role then you should stick to support and let someone else handle the killing. However, if you are equally skilled at both roles then you should do whatever is needed.

* Always mark all enemies. This should be obvious but marking your enemies when you see them is a big way to help your faction.

* Be willing to do what needs to be done to help your faction win a battle, even if you die a lot to accomplish that goal. If there is a stalemate and a bunch of enemies are camped behind some rock or something, hop in a MAX or a tank and rush up to them and take out as many as possible. I can usually break a stalemate pretty effectively doing this. Also learn to flank groups of enemies. If you see an enemy sundy then try to c4 it or drive up next to it in a tank and blow it up. Or at least try to rush up to it in MAX or HA and take out enemies as they spawn so that someone else can c4 the sundy.

* Pay attention to what friendlies are doing around you and help them. If you see a teammate trying to aim a rocket-launcher or gun then don't run in front of them. LOL If you see a MAX or HA getting ready to enter a room then don't charge in front of them. If you see a medic or engineer healing or reviving someone then COVER them. If people only seem to be paying attention to one direction then keep an eye on the flank for them. If you just respawned in a spawn room and you see a MAX asking for repairs, then take a moment to switch to engineer and fix them before you leave. And if you are a medic or engineer, always look around you (and listen too) and on the mini-map for players who need repairs or revives. If you see a hallway or room entrance that isn't being watched, then take the initiative and do it yourself.

DEALING WITH SHOTGUN USERS

A quick list of rules to follow when dealing with shotguns.

#1. Never EVER try to go head on against a shotgun user in CQC if you both see each other at the same time. You will most likely lose unless you have a shotgun yourself.

#2. Make them miss. Learn to move erratically, strafing and jumping. Its really easy to make shotgun users miss and then kill them.

#3. Learn to use your environment. There are tons of different things you can use to make sure you don't give people clear shots on you. Use objects and corners of walls to partially block a player's view as much as possible. Awareness of what is around you and what is happening around you is really the most important thing players need to learn in this game if you want to survive longer. Most people on this game kinda have tunnel vision when they are playing and only see and hear what is directly in front of them.

#4. I always talk about how its smarter to go for torso shots in most situations. Well, if you already know the other person has a shotgun and you have to fight him or her in CQC then this is one of those situations where it may be better to go for the headshot if you have a clear shot on the person.

#5. Another option is to just back off. Meaning if you know they have a shotgun then back away a bit, just to get out of range so you can kill them easily.

#6. Pick a weapon that performs well in CQC situations. Personally I still use the Orion most of the time even though its not quite as good as it used to be in CQC. SMGs are also a good choice or weapons like the MSW-R, TAR, Flare, Carnage, etc...
    • Up x 5
  3. ViXeN

EARLY CERT GUIDE FOR THE HEAVY ASSAULT

Okay, I know it takes a while to get certs on this game so I thought I would post a guide to help new players invest their first few thousand hard-earned certs wisely. This guide is designed to give you the best chance to do well when you first start the game. I only spent like 10 minutes on this guide so I work on it more during the next week and make some improvements. But this should give you a good idea of how you should spend your certs early in the game.

First of all, if you want to play Infantry I recommend starting out with the Heavy Assault to increase your chances of survival until you learn how to play the game, especially if you are a VS player. The Vanu HA starts with one of the best weapons (Orion) in the game so you won't need to upgrade.

#1. Get the first two ranks of Nanoweave armor. Cost: 11 certs

#2. Buy the Night Vision scope for your Orion. This is a must-have item. Cost: 50 certs

#3. Get the Medical Kit (never buy the Restoration Kit) next. Cost: 50 certs

#4. Get the first two ranks for the Nanite Mesh Generator ability. I would suggest stopping at rank 2 because this is just a temporary solution unless you want to stick with it. It depends on your play-style. If you want to be a rusher, then later you will be upgrading to Adrenaline Shield. Cost: 31 certs

#5. Nano Armor rank 3 and 4 should be next. Now you are almost at the max rank for your armor and the final rank will come later. Cost: 200 certs

#6. Medical kit rank 2 is next. Cost: 100 certs

#7. Now you're going to upgrade your launcher. Choose either the Hades or Nemesis if you are a Vanu.

Personally I went with the Hades because I use my burster MAX to deal with aircraft. However if you are a TR, its time for your first big cert grind because you need to buy the Striker. I believe it is still one of your faction's most important weapons even after the nerfs. Cost: 250 certs (1000 certs for TR). If you are an NC you can go with the 250 cert launchers or get the 1000 cert Phoenix.

#8. At this point you have a pretty decent HA character so you have a choice here. You can start working on Adrenaline Shield (i'd get the first two ranks for now), you can get another rank for the Medical Kit or you can start working on another class. If you choose to start certing another class, remember to go ahead and grab the first two ranks in Nanoweave Armor before you do anything else.

#9. If you plan to play multiple classes then one of the first big purchases (usually 1000 certs depending on what you want) for Infantry should be something that can be used by more than one class, such as a shotgun or SMG. Personally, I recommend the Sirius if you play Vanu. It is a beast and can be used by any class. Again, you should buy the Night Vision scope.

#10. Get Medical Kit 3 (if you didn't yet) and stop there for now. Cost 150 certs.

#11. After you have certed up (nanoweave, maybe a couple ranks in the class's ability, etc...) the classes you plan to play to a decent level and have your multi-class weapon, you should start working on fully certing your primary class's Nanoweave armor and Ability.

#12. Now you're pretty much set for a while. You can spend your time certing up another class's Nanoweave or Ability to 5, you can start certing your MAX, grab some c4, Med Kit 4, work on a vehicle, buy other weapons, etc...

Note: One thing you keep in mind is that the difference (if there is any) between 1000 cert and 250 cert weapons sometimes isn't that big so you should grab the cheaper gun for now unless you just buy it with SC. And in some cases (like the Orion), the starter weapon is actually better than the others.

BONUS GUIDE: SO YOU AND YOUR TEAM WANT TO BECOME COMPETITIVE/PRO?

As I said, I have been a member of two (UnRestricted and Pro-Calibre E-sports) successful and sponsored tournament teams on the Call of Duty series and played in two singles tournaments on different games so I have plenty of experience in this area.

STEP 1: As the COD kids like to say, "Get Good!" LOL

* Following all of the advice above and becoming a really good player is the first step. Being recruited by competitive level teams can be difficult and being good enough to play in singles tournaments is even harder.

* Becoming a great team-player is also essential to getting picked up by a good competitive team. Yes, stats will matter to many of these teams but its even more important to see that you are more concerned about helping your team than getting the most kills.

STEP 2: Get YOUR NAME OUT THERE!

* The first thing you should do is choose a catchy name for yourself and your clan. You also should create an attractive clan/community website and don't go with one of the free web-hosting sites either. Get yourself a domain and a normal webhost. Unless you have a highly skilled photo-shopper in your clan, I would suggest that you also spend money to have a professional logo created. A good logo can help attract both fans and sponsors. And keep in mind that this will be on your merchandise (t-shirts, hats, etc...) if you choose to go that route.

* Your clan also has a great free tool to help promote their clan. Its called YOUTUBE and you should take advantage of it by cranking out some montages, map guides and even some random videos of yourself or clan members to show people your personality. Remember, attracting fans and sponsors isn't only about skill anymore. Look at videos by people such as Hutch and Seananners to get a good idea of what I'm talking about. These guys aren't the absolute best players out there but they were able to get sponsors because they are funny and entertaining. Which brings us to....

* Like I said, getting more fans and sponsors isn't just about skill, its about personality. Show them something that stands out from the rest of the gamers out there, especially if you are just an individual. Its not quite as important for clans but it doesn't hurt either.

* Expand your social network. Playing against elite teams and players is not only useful for improving your skill level, it helps get your name out there. If you are in a clan, set up regular scrims with the top teams on the game. If you don't have a clan then find servers that the top players like to pub in and spend most of your time there. It will make you better and you could impress these players.

Remember, networking is important so making friends and earning the respect of the elite players in the community can only help get your name out there. If you have some close games against any of these good teams, post them on your YouTube channel but remember to be humble about it. Don't act like you're bragging. The point is to impress the other team, not to piss off them off. Keep in mind that they could most likely kick your butts in a real match. And always say "good game" after a match, whether you win or lose.

* Also, get involved in the gaming community. Create various guides (maps, guns, etc..) for noobs and link them on a few forums (don't spam them though) and if you have some modding skills, create some type of mod for the game. The point is to always do things that will cause more people to recognize your name or the name of your clan.

* Get some wins!!! Join as many tournaments, leagues and ladders as you can. The more matches you win the more recognition you will get from the community.

* Now this last tip is a bit tricky and definitely controversial. It won't help you get sponsors but it will help you become more known with communities and probably get on a lot of people's good side. Some will say its a bad idea and it definitely isn't a good tactic for some people but it works for me personally. One thing I like to do is find one of the elite players or clans that most people hate and pick a fight with them. I'll only do this if the person or clan in question act like a bunch of idiots in game or on forums. I won't target someone just because others don't like them. Like back on Modern Warfare 2, I got involved in a big war with two of the top teams on the game, Team Elit3 and Natural Enemies. Both were tournament-level teams with wins over awesome clans like Area 51. During the big tournaments on MW2Tournaments.com, a few members of Elit3 were trash-talking about the community and one of the admins of the tournament, who happened to be a friend of mine so I ended up getting into a massive argument with them on the forums and it spread all the way to MLG's GameBattles forum. I even beat a couple of them in game when they challenged me. Most people in the competitive community suddenly knew my name after that.

The next feud was with Jonas and his clan, Natural Enemies. He talked a lot of trash about one of my friends in Area51 and about their team in general so I set up a scrim between his clan and my team at the time. My team (HGN) at the moment was good but most of them didn't have much competitive experience so I wasn't sure if we would be able to beat a team with such a high skill level and experience. They wanted to play Search and Destroy on Skidrow, which happened to be one of my favorite maps so it came back to bite them in the ***. I ended up in a 1 versus 4 situation while defending and was actually able to take out all 4 of them myself in an awesome clutch win. This was definitely one of my all-time favorite moments I have had in gaming just because I had taken down such a good team with the odds stacked against me. After that first round, two of their guys dropped and that was the end of it. Next thing I know I'm getting messaged by Jonas who is raging and challenging me to a 1-on-1 duel. LOL But anyway, this incident also helped both myself and HGN get our names out there. No one knew who we were at first but after those couple of months most competitive teams on the game at least recognized our name.

Naturally the team or player have to be very good or the entire thing is pointless. No one cares if you beat some ******* pubbie. And be sure that you have a good chance of actually BEATING the person or you're just going to look bad yourself. Like I said, this method isn't for everyone.

WANT TO HAVE YOUR GAME-PLAY EVALUATED?

Okay, I am going to do something that I occasionally do on games to help new players. If you would like to have me take a look at your game-play, I would be happy to tell you what mistakes you are making and how you can improve. What you need to do is record some (the more the better) of your play and upload it on Youtube or some other site. After you do that you need to send me the link and I will have a look at it. If your pc can't handle fraps, there are some good alternatives out there. Personally I recommend Mirillis Action. You will get almost a ZERO drop in frame-rate with that particular program so even bad PCs can use it.

OTHER RECOMMENDED READING/WATCHING FOR HEAVY ASSAULT

How to Destroy Vehicles with the HA (by LawnGnome)

Wrel's Knifing Guide.

AimBooster: Practice with this to help improve your aim.
    • Up x 5
  4. Paski

And I was about to start practicing headshots in CQC, since I had the feeling I'm not winning a whole lot of 1vs1.

Good guide though nice read.
    • Up x 1
  5. QueenVanuCeres

Good thread :cool:
    • Up x 1
  6. ViXeN

This is what happens when I at home sick with a stomach bug for several days. :eek:

Headshots are overrated, unless you are a sniper. :D
    • Up x 1
  7. Bennybones

I'm quite the fan of the Queen and will say I think this guide is good. I did have two things to mention though.

A, while the restore kit is objectively worse than the regular health one, it does have its uses in situations which are far more common than they should be. Sometimes, and I say sometimes but I actually mean with quite some frequency, this game decides to lag the heck out. Specially on Indar. This means that when you get a direct burst of health the game won't register it and you'll lose all that health about a second after you've applied it. You will notice when this happen and it will normally last for a long time. In such situations the restore kit is simply your only option. Due to the fact that the health is gradually given to you most of it will actually stay put. It's a terrible reason to use the restore kit, but I'm saying it's not a bad idea to have level 2 restore kit for such situations assuming you don't just log out.

B, don't get the Striker. It's too slow, simple as that. You're extremely unlikely to land all five shots and you're wasting a lot of time keeping the lock and firing. The annihilator or grounder are much better options. Having gone back to the annihilator myself I find it way superior to the Striker, even after the damage buff. Not saying the Striker is crap, just saying it's not the best option. That weapon needs a complete re-design. The Grounder is by many (most?) TR players seen as our best option right now as it can also be dumbfired (unless it's recently changed, I don't use it personally).
    • Up x 2
  8. ViXeN

The striker isn't as great against ESFs as it once was but I think its still pretty awesome against tanks, sundies, galaxies and Libs.. :D I don't really have much experience with the restore grenades but I suppose they could be somewhat useful in certain situations. I don't think they are worth spending certs on early in the game though. I think the Medical Kit should be first.
    • Up x 1
  9. hawken is better

Really appreciate the tips; I was also a fan of your first tutorial. Kind of specific, but do you have any tips on how to not rage after a death? I get pretty heated after a death that I think was "unfair" despite the fact that any old BR 5 LA can shoot you in the back with ease. My performance takes a noticeable dip when I'm angry, too. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
    • Up x 1
  10. whiteshadow2000

Really good guide. Concise and well written with a lot of good tips.

Nice work.
    • Up x 1
  11. Paski

Striker has good suppressing power due to multiple shots, but for ground vehicles I like the SKEP for it's fire and forget. It deals more damage then the Annihilator.
  12. KenDelta

Legit guide , should help any newbie/scrub levelup into a high-tier fps player and increase the hardcoreness of the public gameplay hopefully.
    • Up x 1
  13. ViXeN

Ugh... I just noticed some typos in the second part of my guide and its too late to correct them. :mad: Next time, I''ll have some people proofread it before I post. LOL Anyway, thanks for the positive feedback so far and the advice.

Yeah, I doubt that anyone can play better when they're angry. I don't really have any advice to help avoid raging though. I still get mad when I make mistakes sometimes but I don't dwell on it anymore. I eventually just let it go and move on.
  14. ViXeN

That would be nice but I doubt that the majority of players even read the forum.

Eh, the SKEP is okay but i'll stick with my Striker when I play my TR, which is pretty rare. The only really bad thing about the Striker is that you can't use it at all against infantry.
    • Up x 1
  15. Naejin

I finally achieved the auraxium medal for the Striker. While it's not as good as it was in its heyday, recent buffs to its lock on time and projectile speed have made it worthwhile once again, imo. While it's not the rocket launcher for every occasion (because dumb fire is our friend) it's at least a competative alternative to the Anhilator again.
  16. Naejin

I finally achieved the auraxium medal for the Striker. While it's not as good as it was in its heyday, recent buffs to its lock on time and projectile speed have made it worthwhile once again, imo. While it's not the rocket launcher for every occasion (because dumb fire is our friend) it's at least a competative alternative to the Anhilator again.
  17. Naejin

18. Naejin

19. Naejin

20. ViXeN

Holy Jebus, I think you had a problem with your post, Naejin. :eek: It posted five times. But yeah, I agree. The Striker is still very good but in some situations you may need a different launcher.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.