Two C4 doesn't kill an MBT anymore?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SLiCKRiCK, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Hatesphere

why bother? he has it set in his head that the most balanced AV option in the game is overpowered.
  2. EliteEskimo

I'm about to be a college graduate (sorry I don't consider myself a baby), I'm playing in one of the only combined arms outfits left in the game (See a problem with that?), I prefer playing in a Main Battle Tank, and I want this game to go in the right direction which is promoting combined arms and teamwork based gameplay. When I'm playing I like to see this type of gameplay.
    [IMG]

Not this scenario which runs from base to base killing everything in its path.....
    [IMG]

Where have I indicated that I'm mad btw, is there anywhere you can quote some of my obvious anger/rage in this thread? The only reason C4 sn't a problem for myself is I make it a high priority to keep my eyes out for suicide C4 infantry, normally have a gunner, and am now going to be switching off between using Max vehicle stealth and Max proximity radar. Ever wonder why people don't enjoy tanking in this game? It may be because the InfantryVsTank balance is so messed up, and C4 soloing full health MBT's from any direction represents a small part of a very big problem.

At the end of the day this is probably just a bug that will be fixed soon. I know that, most vehicle users know that, but that doesn't mean I can't use the opportunity to point out how blatantly biased this game is towards infantry. Oh, and how much SOE has dropped the ball when it comes to promoting good combined arms gameplay.

This video is what I expected from Planetside 2.

What it turned into was an infantry focused game, where bases are excluding vehicles, and the tank continent (Esamir) was transformed into an infantry focused continent where vehicles have to stare at walls instead of driving through courtyards and supporting infantry. Understandably I'm dissappointed, a lot of people I know of are dissappointed with the direction the game has taken, but then threads like this come up and people insult and belittle tankers and it's not surprising at all. The only reason I'm still interested in this game is my outfit, BWC, runs combined arms tactics and allows me to experience what planetside 2 is meant to be. While running 2 platoons of solid infantry maybe more effective, I'd rather play in an outfit that is capable of having 3 squads of tanks/sunderers/skyguards, 1 squad of air, and a platoon of infantry all working together.
    [IMG]

• Up x 4
  3. jak

Well, C4 has been buggy for the longest time, so this wouldn't change much. However, if it's not a bug, it would be sad to cater to horrible vehicle users that probably should learn not to be horrible rather than looking for things to be less threatening to them.
  4. Copasetic

Incidentally EliteEskimo, I agree with you that tank vs infantry balance is pretty naffed up, has been for a long time. There's still tons of tank nerfs in the game that were put in as emergency fixes for vehicle spam in the early days, when the bases were godawful. When the base redesigns are finally done I think SOE needs to take a real hard look at vehicle balance again, making them much more powerful against infantry in the open while keeping them out of infantry combat in bases.

I want to see massive tank battles again, I want to see infantry have to gun or catch a ride to get to the next base without being cannon fodder on the way there. I want to see tanks being available at all vehicle terminals again, not just some of them, so both sides can pull them and start an armor fight in the land between their respective bases.

But if we were to make a list of all the things wrong with the current balance and all the things we need to do to fix it, in my opinion C4 would be at the very bottom of that list. IMO it's one of the only things affecting infantry/vehicle balance that's actually working properly.
    • Up x 5
  5. skyN3T

Well now, you got a point there. Compared to the other AV weapons (MANA, Lockons to an extent) there is some merit to what you say. On a counterpoint I may add that vehicles need to be stationary from time to time just to be able to shoot (no turret stabilization), however, to counter my own counter-argument that should be a short window of time; given that "shoot - move - check minimap/surroundings while doing so - shoot" is the true tanker's mantra.
    This from a not-that-bad but not-that-l33t jackofalltrades player. And I like to suicide rush tanks with engie equipped with 3 C4 just to be sure :D. And I like to shoot out C4 fairies from the air, it's just hilarious when my radar picks up one bee-lining in on me and I pretend not seeing him at first, whent it's close enough quick reverse, and surprise tank shell in da face consecutively :D.
    • Up x 1
  6. EliteEskimo

Well it's nice to see you're reasonable about it. Of course C4 is only a very small part of the overall problem, but this was an opportunity to bring up what's wrong with the game and I took it. C4 doesn't kill me much, but it's a good controversial topic to use to bring up combined arms issues in the game. Before I could even finish an Ultimate Thread about fixing base design the developers decide to give lock on rockets a buff so now tankers who want to play up close have to deal with short lock on times, and now pilots have to deal with faster lock on times too. One of the lowest skill weapons in the game got a buff against vehicles, and I don't consider them making their range 300 meters a nerf. That was fixing a dang exploit that allowed infantry to fire at vehicles in an unrendered God mode state, which they can still do in bad rendering situations, and fixing an exploit shouldn't mean buffing the weapon to make up for not being able to exploit it any more.

Actually the cost ratio is 450 to 200 when you're talking a MBT, which means you're killing my tank for less than half of the resources , but that's an old argument I'm no longer interested in debating. As for vehicles having to be still, that would be a very valid point, but is harmed by the point that tanks have no turret stabilization so must be still to be accurate. Of course I still move around, but I'm encouraged to stay still because of the lack of turret stabilization. Anyways C4 is currently one of the most skilled ways to kill a tank when compared to things like lock on's or AV turrets. However that doesn't mean it doesn't add to the overall tankvsinfantry imbalance when you give that much power to a single infantry which costs 0 resources to spawn.

Also take into consideration that until a LA throws the C4 they aren't in danger of losing it. In the mean time they can fail as many times as they can spawn, waiting for the perfect opportunity I can't give them enough attention to avoid them. Now with a gunner this problem is lessened but you get where I'm coming from hopefully. Anyhow in the end C4 is towards the bottom of my list on what's needs to happen to fix the game. Base design is number 1 for me right now, because without courtyards I'm left outside a base unable to help allied infantry in my tank.
    • Up x 5
  7. tekknej

jeez, finally. i hope c4 doesn't kill my ESF anymore. those guys were always killing me out nowhere, these magical gnomes with explodey pants. ESF basically had no counter to c4 before. righfully nerfed just like the dumbfire rocket launcher. i mean come on, one rocket set my ESF ablaze. and flares didn't help. this is more important than ZOE nerf, now we can finally play the game yay :3
  8. Takoita

Copasetic lays down how it is in a manner I'd never be able to. Eskimo just happens to have C4 as his personal berserk button, don't begrudge him that, people.

Also, I remember seeing a LA C4 hints and tips video that stated the thing's damage varied depending on how close to the vehicle's center of mass it was planted or something. Could it be this mechanic resurfaced again?
  9. BloodMonarch

Risk?....what risk exactly?...if you get shot in the face running at a tank you've lost nothing....it costs nothing to respawn and try again. There's no 'risk', which is why infantry do suicide runs at tanks.

Removing C4 from the game entirely would be my preferred choice, considering how much anti tank weaponry we already have in game; but I'll settle for a damage nerf, where it doesn't effectively OHK a tank if you don't happen to notice a LA drifting above you
    • Up x 1
  10. EliteEskimo

If by laying down how C4 is in way you couldn't you mean Copasetic expressed his opinion about C4 in way that didn't amount to belittling another's playstyle, was able to do so while being polite, and was able to do so without calling tankers bad in any way then yes he was able to do what you were not. Glad you came to that conclusion by yourself, and maybe now you'll seek to follow in his footsteps.

11. Borusa

And those infantries trying to suicide in order to kill you provide a massive amount of experience/cert income for tank drivers.
    MBT's are meant to be played as 2/2, if you die to C4 then it most likely means neither of you have noticed the light assault coming through the battlefield, therefore it's a well deserved kill for her/him.
    If you really don't want to die to light assaults, just keep your distance, don't be alone and get thermal on your guns. If after all that you die to C4 more than just once in a while, then the problem isn't with the C4.

PS.: C4 doesn't OHK MBT, you need at least two bricks and in my opinion it would be really pointless if you could simply repair after all that.
  12. Spolin

I just tested in the VR with C4 and all three MBTs. Now I know that the VR isn't always the same as the rest of the game, but I did find a bug.

For whatever reason, Prowler Top Armor resistance has been turned way up. Two C4 to the roof only takes about 2/3 of its health. Strangely, the front, which should be strongest (video game logic), has less resistance, resulting in Two C4 to the front destroying the Prowler. Placing on the side and rear also result in destruction.

However, for the Vanguard and Magrider, two C4 anywhere will blow them up, at least in VR.
  13. Takoita

Whoo, defensive much? I may be having trouble with my memory, please point out where I 'called tankers bad', as you put it.

Regardless, I stand by my words. You are an awesome poster, dude, but when C4 even tangentially comes into converstation, I can almost feel your spit on my face. Relax.

Not to say I'm not prone to bumache myself, as anyone could see if they bothered to track my posts. My personal rage-inducing sights were/are a). vanu weaponry being easier to hit with at launch (I doubt that was really the case to the extent I felt it was, but VS infantry waves definitely held an advantage over us for a certain period after launch), b). Magrider waves beating Prowler waves almost 2 to 1 (is no longer relevant due to numerous changes since then), c). NC MAX killing other MAXes a bit too quickly for my tastes (has been toned down since then; I do however laugh when I see people saying the thing is ineffective at what it does), d). base layout, e). ESF being more of a threat to ground forces than Liberators, f). AA units being ineffective in their narrow niche (has toned down since; still I think Skyguard could use some more tools for self-defense against other ground forces), g). base turrets having crap for stats (noticeably toned down, even if their placement is dumb at times; also, AI turret doesn't have enough accuracy to hit targets smaller than a Lightning :(), h). UBGL, Fury, Marauder and Bulldog projectile arc nerfs, i). being unable to shoot through tower spawn shields, j). Vulcan being shoehorned in close-range AV use only, k). Lockdown, Anchor mode and Striker concepts, l). Pounders and Flacons (may no longer be relevant), m). ZOE (I still feel that adding movement bonus only to one faction's MAX is a bad idea in any way, shape, or form, even if it got the nerfbat).

At least those are the things I can remember off the top of my head. But I freely admit that I was/am bumache on the topic and let my frustration rule me. I suggest you take a chill pill and do the same.
    • Up x 1
  14. NightmareP69

No reason to play LA anymore, first the hip fire got nerfed when jumping so using my favorite tactic of strafing around my enemies and loading them up with bullets while they try to figure out what's hapening is gone and now we won't be able to even C4 MBTs, playing Heavy Assault it is than SOE.
  15. Liquid23

the only tankers that were affected by C4 enough to complain about it were players who shouldn't actually be driving a tank to begin with
  16. BloodMonarch

This argument of 'be more observant' is so tiresome ... a tank should not have to be continually looking around for FLYING INFANTRY!....and be more afraid of 'that' than another Tank!! If all tank drivers had to do was worry about flying infantry it wouldn't be a problem, but there are other tanks firing at you....you might be getting lock on warnings or being hit by an AV turret, all of which can divert your attention from looking for the lone LA suicide run. C4 is bullsh*t. There is more than enough AT weaponry in this game, we don't need lame C4 OHK on tanks.

And it is ....'effectively' ....a OHK. If you don't see the LA flying above you it doesn't matter that it takes 2 bricks of C4, you are dead instantly....
    • Up x 2
  17. Hatesphere

you dont have to be observant all the time, you just have to be mindful of the terrain you are in. its hard to just drop onto a tank without a terrain advantage using just jets. i guess hills are OP then.
  18. Liquid23

if you don't want to have to constantly be watching for flying infantry you should quit and go play a game without jetpacks... or infantry

there is a reason MBTs are 2 man vehicles and have that turret gun up top not to mention the whole "this is a team game so make use of support" deal, ya DAT...
  19. Borusa

And I think a tank should not be able to happily farm infantry in a hulldown position without having to worry about anything. If you're even a little bit careful, avoiding rockets and getting rid of turrets is quite hard most of the time. I like to think of Light Assaults as an extra dimension added to the game. Unless you're too busy farming the so called overpowered infantry, then you will notice the light assault coming at you at least 9 out of 10 times.

It might look like a OHK to you, but it actually takes plenty of time to get to a tank, wait for the opportunity, put 2 bricks on it and then push the button. Especially in bigger battles when there are multiple MBTs with gunners watching out for light assaults.

Little disclaimer here: I'm not trying to defend C4 for my own good, in fact I only have rank 1 unlocked to deal with MAXes. Also I do drive tanks plenty of time and rarely have troubles with C4.
  20. BloodMonarch

So tell me...why should a single infantry be able to OHK a tank?..a tank that has a CD timer and a large cert cost????

Infantry have no CD timer and only cost certs if they manage to drop the C4, in which case they invariably get the kill. Tank OHK's on infantry are nothing like as bad because infantry can be rezzed or instantly respawn, usually within yards of where they died, for no cert cost. Infantry also already have plenty of weapons available to them to combat tanks at range. C4 is simply not needed and just another crappy way for tanks to die.

I don't die to C4 very often, so this isn't some nerd rage over multiple C4 deaths. But that doesn't change the fact that C4 in its current form (unfortunately I suspect this damage nerf is actually a bug) is bullsh*t.
    • Up x 2