Two C4 doesn't kill an MBT anymore?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SLiCKRiCK, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Clockwerk

Well, C4 can't even OHKO light amor now right? so...
  2. Fireflower_Dancer

I'm not ok with it at all, it takes skill to run out in the middle of 3 tanks and infantry and get a heavy tank and not die. This was my fun challenge for this gal. Devs goto 1;57 and push play :p
    • Up x 1
  3. Fireflower_Dancer

Star Wars Galaxies CU/NGE all over again, SOE takes a great game and breaks it!!!
  4. SLiCKRiCK

Albeit I mostly play infantry, I have gone on many 50+ kill streaks in my Magrider. I would honestly say, that avoiding C4 is fairly easy. The only time that it is risky is when you are parked inside/near a base and are camping the spawn room. IMO this is a perfect example of when a tanker deserves to get C4ed. If you are fighting in open fields or on front lines of a traditional battle, the risk for C4 is very low comparatively speaking.
  5. Degenatron

Actually, I get C4'd out in the open WAY more than inside bases - but then I make it a point to NOT drive through enemy held bases in my tank.

And yes, I'm sure you have little problem avoiding suicide bombers with your 360 degrees of movement, fast spinning, turbo boosting Mag-mower. Not to mention the fact that mag-lev propulsion gives you basically a "steady-cam" on your main gun which means you have the luxury of not having to stop moving to get an accurate shot off.

Try it in a tank that only drives forwards and backwards and can't outrun an infantryman in reverse and has to come to a full stop to fire anything more than a warning shot.
    • Up x 1
  6. SLiCKRiCK

I understand what you're saying.... I agree, the vanguard is hard to drive. I did say in a previous post that if any tank should be able to withstand two C4, it should be the Vanguard.
  7. Vinakis

All the arguments aside, I do hope it's a bug.

Much to the dismay of the gunner of my Harasser (he got over it and we had a blast the rest of the night) last night, I saw a perfect opportunity to do some testing outside the VR when we rolled past an enemy lightning that was sitting still, obliviously bombarding our spawn area... Seriously, he didn't notice the on-fire Harasser rolling by, taking shells from his allies. Nor did he notice the driver of said Harasser hop out, while the vehicle exploded 20m away, throw a brick of C4 on his rear, and another on his side (had to use the tank from cover against all his allies that were trying to kill me). He also didn't notice as the random NC engineer ran away from his tank and set off the C4, making some explosions all around him. That got his attention though, and while his armor wasn't scratched in the slightest, he put a HEAT round into me. :confused:
  8. Divinorium

Only problem i see with C4 OHK in tanks is that:

In the time it keeps being true Tanks keep not being tanks, they are artillary.

Such a "huge" Vanguard NC has. Shooting from 200 meters + behind the infantry lines.

Why don't change it's name for Rear?
  9. Slandebande

So instead they should design it around lonewolf LA's who take the easy routes (off cliffs) and don't care whatsoever because they will just respawn and try again? You could just as well take a LA friend with you and guarantee the kill, or as I suggested, give it 2x C4 and then a UBGL to finish it. Start making some friends or don't, I couldn't care less (you could actually care less, which means you care, common mistake).

I brought ESFs into the picture because of the situation in the South east canyons on Indar. You are pretty much forced to either spend your time in the canyon or up on the cliffs. That brings into question the 2 situations I described, pretty simple. Why does it sound like I'm not a very good tanker? Please elaborate. I'm not even complaining or wanting it changed or anything, I'm simply using the arguments in the opposite direction where they should work just as much. I also prefer fighting vehicles, not infantry and I still prefer the Prowler, so no, I'm not interested in EZ mode, as that leaves no challenge and thus, no fun. I'm the sort of guy that starts a game on Hard/Impossible/Insane/Nightmare or w/e the highest difficulty in a given game is called, and learn from there.

Where do I write I have problems with C4, or that I still get taken out by C4? There is no reason to be condescending, yet here you are, sigh. Feel free to draw your own conclusions based on absolutely nothing, I won't take you seriously at least, just like all the other incoherent ramblings going on in here (and pretty much everywhere else). There is no reason to get personal and call me a bad tanker (or imply it at the very least). Feel free to draw conclusions based on nothing, just don't include me in them, or include them in our discussions. I have no problem with being taken out by C4, I just think some of the arguments as to why it HAS to be a 2xC4 kill to be kind of silly, as the opposite doesn't work when it comes to infantry. As people said, Infantryside 2.

On the certs to buy skill: You were the one that wrote: "I didn't realize you spent 700 certs to purchase your tank..."
    That implies you think you are entitled to the easy kills because of you spending 700 certs on C4. Whoopdidoo. The way you worded it, it even sounds like you meant that using C4 costs 700 certs every time (most likely not what you meant, but still, that's what it says).

Also, feel free to enlighten me as to where you can use a tank in the south eastern canyons of Indar without being exposed to either C4 from up high (which Radar won't even pick up in time if the LA knows his stuff) or aircraft due to being up high on the cliffs.

Also, I'd like to know what it was that made you think I'm a bad tanker, as far as I can see, there isn't one thing in there that should imply that. I'm simply illustrating hypothetical scenarios, not involving the skill on either part.
    • Up x 1
  10. EliteEskimo

I didn't feel so much I was being defensive, but rather was trying to turn the tables on you after taking a personal shot at me. Coming in and calling C4 my berzerk button is not exactly a good way to start out a constructive debate, and it made me feel like you felt my opinion on C4 weren't valid.

I'm not saying it has happened in this thread, but there were similar threads like this in the past involving tankers and if my memory serves correct also C4, and I'm pretty sure I've heard you say some mean things to tankers in those threads. That being said I'm not spitting on anyone's face, I work with infantry a lot, and enjoy helping fighting alongside, and protecting them. You seem more reasonable after this post, and many of your concerns that you listed are indeed problems with the game I myself have as well. Anyhow I shall do my best to not belittle infantry players, or sound like I'm mad when expressing my views.
  11. UberBonisseur

ITT:
    People who pretend resources are well-designed and use it as a unit of comparison for power

Tankers, look over your shoulder, what do you see ?
    10 other tanks shelling the spawn.
  12. Divinorium

[IMG]Not sure if troll or just idiot. When there is tanks shelling the spawn your base is already lost. 4 tanks shooting at the respawn and 50 players around it waiting you leave.

But of courses the tanks is the one at fault.

PS: PPL who talk about this kinda of crap are the same who sit in the respawn room shooting at the infantry camping it.
    Of courses he don't care about the infantry, for him it's free certs.

But since he can't kill the tanks from the safety of the respawn room, he decide to blame it in the tanks instead of actually trying to do something BEFORE they get to the respawn room.
    • Up x 3
  13. UberBonisseur

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  14. EliteEskimo

So we've established that most people using tanks are not being very helpful to their team then. Cool, well one of the steps of getting tanks to take more risks is to make it fun and worthwhile to get on the front line is to look at C4's role. One of the biggest risks of playing as a front line tanker is C4 because when you're in close range of infantry obviously they have an easier time of getting C4 to you. Oh, and I have been constructively pointing out what's wrong about lock ons and AV-Turrets for 2/3's of a year now. That doesn't mean I can't express my personal opinion on C4 though. I am doing it in a constructive manner and bringing up relevant points to support my opinions.

I'm assuming you're new to the forums, hi. Yes understandably like pretty much anyone I'm going to be a little biased about somethings, however not nearly at the extent you play me out to be. If you have read any of my past Ultimate threads you'll see that I care a lot about Combined arms gameplay, team gameplay, reducing tank spam, improving base and spawn design so infantry don't get farmed by tanks (Imagined that!:eek:), and introducing mechanics that would heavily encourage people to use MBT's in teams rather than going 1/2.

I don't play infantry because I play with 15-25 FPS on very low settings, my computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements, and that doesn't allow me to play competitively against other infantry players which is frustrating. Obviously low TTK roles and low FPS doesn't mix well so I pick the roles where one's situational awareness and placement on the battlefield make all the different. That comes most into play with a Tank in Max. Want to know why my KDR isn't 29 like it is for Prowler HEAT? It's from me trying to play with horrid FPS for the first month as infantry and mostly dying.
    • Up x 1
  15. lothbrook

Hopefully this change stays, the idea that tanks should have to stay 100s or meters away from infantry or risk instadeath is a ******** idea. Its not like there aren't 100 heavies with dumbfires aimed at you when you're within 100m that C4 is really needed to instakill tanks.
  16. SLiCKRiCK

I think you need to take a step back and understand the perspective of people who play infantry more often than they play tanks. Not to discredit your opinion, but you are BR 65 and your highest used infantry weapon has < 75 kills (I don't even know how that is possible lol). If you are basing your argument on the fact that you have low FPS and cant out maneuver a light-assault, then you really ought to think about buying a new computer. IMO farm at a distance, or farm at your own risk...
    • Up x 1
  17. Bucketmaster

I feel tempted to use my newly refunded nanoweave certs on my prowler instead.
  18. Divinorium

https://players.planetside2.com/#!/5428021124297376449/weapons

I had my fair share of infantry play. And while it's true that tanks can "farm" it's not true it's a viable option in a balanced battle.

The problem with tanks is that: the random/noob don't know how to deal with it. But a player who know what he is doing don't have problem with it, at all.

In a battle where we have 2 squads of pubs a tank can be a menace.

Bring it to a battle of 2 GOOD Squads and you will see what 4 HA shooting at the same time while flanking a tank can do.

MAN even if you throw a tank in a platoon x platoon of pubs you will realize that unless you have a eng ONLY to repair your tank 24/7 you will spend more time repairing the tank then actually shooting at stuffs.

In a "big battle", unless you are a margrider or the battle is already over, your team is camping the respawnroom, the agenda of a tank is: Move out of cover > stop > shoot at something > back to cover > repair > repeat.

Every second you are out of cover is a rocket shoot at you. and since you are with the side of your tank to the enemy this rocket will hurt, alot.
    Of courses there's the tankers who stand still taking rockets but these are the guys who have 4 eng repairing it or the ones who lose the tank in 10 secs.

Sundenly you realize that tanks aren't worth the trouble.

"But divinorium you tank ONE SHOOT PPL!"

So what? I, normaly, only kill one infantry per reload.(vanguard)

I shoot and have a reload of 4 secs. A medic revive the guy i shoot at in 2. WOW that's a hell of big deal!

And ppl still believe that tanks are powerful in this game? Haha
  19. EliteEskimo

I don't need to step back, I play in Max suit plenty and a Max has to deal with Tank spam and explosive spam too.

I'm not basing my argument that I can't out maneuver a LA. I just don't think it's right a LA can solo a full health MBT by dropping C4 infront of it or ontop of it (behind it would be okay because that is where the tank is weak). I'm on the front lines constantly, so if I didn't have the skill to deal with infantry players then why would I be there in the first place? I obviously am not having a major problem playing on the front lines since I'm averaging a 29 KDR. However that does not mean I think it's alright that if I encounter an 2/2 AP Vanguard and a LA at the same time, more of my attention needs to be directed at the LA lol. That's messed up in my opinion.

I've already said it once in the thread that I have no problem with oblivious tank users being punished with death, and they normally are, however unless an infantry unit manages to completely flank the tank the job to destroy a tank should not be up to a single infantry player to kill a MBT. Perhaps you haven't died to C4 much at all because you aren't playing within 100 meters of enemy infantry on a consistent basis and trying to use your MBT as a MBT, but rather as an artillery platform at a distance? I don't know the answer, but you tell me.

The whole staying in one place point is both valid and invalid at the same time. It's valid in that yes tanks sitting still to long in dangerous areas should be punished with death. It's invalid in that tanks like the Prowler and Vanguard lack turret stabilization and are encouraged to stay still to remain accurate. If the target takes a few seconds to take down, then that means being still for a few seconds. C4 only tanks a few seconds to Instagib you, and so you can see where there are moments which a tank is required to stay more or less skill thus making it perfect C4 bait.

The difference with C4 and say getting hit by a tank that you didn't notice is C4 doesn't give you a chance to react, getting shot by a tank give does. Now again if C4 was made directional so it could only solo tanks from the back that would make sense, and would require more effort then simply flying above tankers. It would make a difference for tankers like me who try to move a lot, but for oblivious tankers the result would still be the same because you would easily have the time to throw C4 directly behind them.

Also do not get into a cert argument with me. Tanks cost several thousand certs to be competitive with other certed tanks. Actually my point regarding resource comparison has relevance because C4 costs less than half of what a MBT costs, and can Instagib it in seconds without using being able to react to it once it goes off. Nothing else can do that that I can't directly cert against, unless I'm a Vanguard with an Uber shield. Maxes are completely different, they have Flak armor which is a direct counter to C4, and can be revived which MBTs can not. You can't compare them in that way.
    • Up x 1
  20. Takoita

If you mean those two ginormous "C4 vs Tanks" threads we had going at that one time, yeah I wasn't exactly adhering to forum guidelines in those. The whole debate quickly degenerated into ignoring each others' arguments in favour of the mighty 'L2P', so I must've overreacted with the whole atmosphere.

I apologize.

(I do however stand by the opinion that decreasing C4's effectiveness in the current state of the game would not be a change for the better).
    • Up x 1