[Video] - Nanoweave is getting out of control

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mustarde, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Earthman

Check those smug emissions, they might start getting hazardous in your room.

Here's the non-circular thing I actually said: the current desire for snipers to sit way out of range of all retaliation at the periphery of useful battle objectives is trivial at best when it comes to how a battle goes for the faction. It shouldn't necessarily be valued or weighed with any special consideration compared to infiltrators actively targeting closer objectives in harm's way, such as picking off rezzing medics or engineers repairing vehicles.

My point was that people tend to snipe for ego and bragging rights through K/D ratio. The "I must get one hit kills from that range" demand is a spoiled fancy. Optimal range exists for a reason: it is optimal, and at that range, sure, one hit kills are fine. Beyond that, it gets highly questionable why the second range descriptor even exists if you still get your one-hit-kill no matter how far out.

Yes, I am saying many infiltrators care about this inflatable stat. And because it's harder to actually do something useful for the rest of the team, they want an easier time of padding it.

Call it circular, but you are plain wrong. Maybe it's over your head, but that's not necessarily a surprise.
  2. JimRussle

Now you're conceding that bolt actions are inferior guns to semis

"They take more skill"
    "they require two shots like bolt actions"
    "they are semi not bolt action"
  3. JimRussle

If you can easily retaliate against an infil as any other infantry class then there's really no point to the whole idea of a long ranged class.

Yeah you're right that infils have OHKs in closer ranges. The same ranges they get killed in after making a single shot.
  4. Ryme

And it already kills any target that doesn't use NW. Had whatever marketing" genius" promised that it would kill "most people within a reasonable range", that would be a different matter altogether. Instead, they explicitly advertised that only a HA with active shields could survive a headshot. That is a rather absolute promise. So unless they have come out since then and openly reneged on that promise, or admittedly nerfed it in some update patch, I don't see why people who bought the weapon shouldn't expect it to work as advertised.

I'm not a fan of ohk snipers, having seen nothing but hoards of useless k/d coddlers all throughout the FPS game genre. But I do believe that people/companies should be held to their word.
  5. Littleman

Because for the average sniper... they are?

They're inferior to semi-autos when NW is involved. They are superior to semi-autos when NW isn't involved. Really, it's that simple.

And to add to this: someone without NW can be put down with a head shot and a shot anywhere on their body as the follow up. As a general purpose sniper rifle, the semi-autos should be what skilled snipers move into. TR and VS newbs put rounds all over the place in a panic to kill their target. Skilled snipers move into the BAs practically right away and learn to calm themselves and place their shots. Mix the RoF with the skill, what do you get?
  6. Earthman

It may be a "promise" but it wasn't a legally binding contractual one. They goofed up. Oh well.

Another game example: Mechwarrior Online's devs "promised" us they'd never have cash store consumables. That they'd never have external cameras. That they'd have factional warfare before multiple due dates that came and went with nothing to show for it but additional cash-store Mechs.

It is disappointing that those promises were broke in MWO's case, but they weren't contractual obligations either.
  7. KoS-1

No one???? No one can find a link where NW# stops a head shot? Please don't say it's so....
  8. Earthman

Slooooow deep breaths.

Even if you don't get the bad, terrible wicked NW5 taken away from us, you will find a way to live on.
    • Up x 1
  9. JimRussle

No they aren't superior to semi autos when NW isn't involved. You don't know who's sporting NW before you take a shot. With a semi you are guaranteed 2 body shots for a kill but with bolt actions you may need one or two but can never be sure. Taking a headshot means you can lose the bet, and sticking to body shots with the bolt action means you are inferior compared to the semi.

The semi has a consistent killing pattern, 2 shots. The bolt action has an inconsisten pattern that relies on luck/chance.
  10. KoS-1

Give it a rest, you are really sounding pathetic.

Again it's not legal stuff, it's game documentation.

But keep moving the goalposts when you can't refute otherwise. Just admit it, Mustarde and others are right. And NW isn't working as intended.
  11. KoS-1

I don't care if stays or goes....just document the change so people know! Until then things are not working as intended.

It's really that simple. KISS
  12. Ryme

And as a result you're not obligated to play that game. If you purchased a founders pack on the premise of those advertised features, and felt so inclined, I would say you are warranted in requesting a refund.

And as I stated earlier, SOE may not feel it is prudent to grant ohko ability to Infiltrators. If any Infiltrator purchased the weapon on that promise, they would be justified in asking for a refund. Though I feel that such a grace period should not exist indefinably, and would most likely not be valid now, given the post was from January. Another allowance would be if the weapons were nerfed since their release and the ohk capability was removed due to "balance" issues or whatever, as the Devs are in the right to patch and adjust the game as they see fit.
  13. Shatters

Can everybody stop arguing with that "earthman"... He has exactly 1 kill with a SR, and ragequited yesterday after being killed by a bolt driver (the only SR death on on his killboard). He is a emotional player looking for some attention.

On topic:
    1: The snipers in this game are the only thing holding AV-turrets and lock-ons from going on a total rampage. The nanoweave-problem is already getting bad, and it will only grow worse over time.
    2: Snipers can be very usefull on the battlefield, people just dont realise it because the effect is not as noticable. Sniping is also a good bit harder then the rest of the classes, making a new/bad infiltrator near useless.
    3: Infiltrators have been deemed borderline UP since the launch of the game (ignoring shotgun infils), while always being able to 1hit-kill (barely nobody walked around with a high enough nanoweave those days). Why would we suddenly become OP when we get our ability to OHK back?

Why is nanoweave such a problem for snipers?
    1: Taking a follow-up shot increases TTK by ~500%. In that time every target not AFK will be bunny-hopping, self-healing and sidestepping his way to cover. It completely destroys the BAR's ability to make a meaningfull impact on the battlefield.

How can we fix this?
    a: Increase the rate-of-fire
    b: Increase the damage done
    c: Decrease the damage drop-off
    d: Decrease the effectiveness of nanoweave
    e: Increase the effectiveness of other suitslots (less people wearing nanoweave)
    f: Increase the bullet velocity
    g: decrease bullet drop

Buffing the damage on the BASR is not the only way there is. You can also make the follow-up shot quicker/more reliable in order to deal with nanoweave.

Why would we fix this problem. I dont play infiltrator and dont like being killed?
    Because snipers are a part of this game, and deserve to be usefull on the battlefield. There plenty of ways to counter snipers trough skillfull play (cover, counter-sniping, moving, to name a few), so i dont even see a reason for such a skill-less hardcounter to excist in the first place.
    • Up x 2
  14. Earthman

Ah, thanks. You didn't invoke the word "pathetic" which was certainly missing from the "kid u must b lonely" e-thugging you offered a post ago. Now it looks more complete, splendid.

What goalposts are being moved? You're in a weird little world of obsessive rage about stuff devs said, and outside of that little world, it doesn't matter, even when it comes to this game, nearly as much as you believe it does.

It's a very thin thread to cling to. I guess you didn't have a good argument elsewhere so you're screaming fraud instead. Those are those goalposts you mentioned being moved, right?
  15. Earthman

Hmm, that's a little creepy, data digging in an attempt to try to discredit opinion.

I never claimed to be a sniper. Nor did I claim to be good at it.

In fact your personal attack is a bizzare sort of house of cards: I made no special claims except that some of you are really, really full of self-importance about how the game must bend to your whims and your whims alone. And you just demonstrated that, congratulations.
    • Up x 1
  16. KoS-1

Rage? Interesting. Matter of opinion, what ever.

So words don't matter? People can say whatever they want and it means nothing? Just what the end user thinks?

How's all the food? Full yet?
  17. Littleman

Simple math... First, semi autos deal 400 damage per shot... MAX. Minimum, they deal 334 at 75m. BA's (the best BA) is 800 to 550 at 100m.

You'll need 3-4 body shots to kill with a semi auto, 4 if NW is involved. 2-3 with a BA. If you're going for body shots, SA wins hands down.

Second, thanks for proving my point. Move into the other sniper rifle or keep dealing with your gamble with NW. They are THERE for a reason. They CAN beat NW. You refuse to try.

Earthman is right: it's an obsession or zealous belief at this point, actual balance isn't even a concern for the snipers complaining about their BA's not one shotting everyone.
  18. Earthman

To lurkers reading this: consider carefully if you'd support placating people like this. Or for that matter if we should really be coddling the demands of players with his attitude.

I'm very skeptical of how well this game would retain a playerbase if he and his got his way exactly as he demands. The attitude alone would scare off new players by the score. That is, if bad word of mouth didn't prevent the game's installation to begin with.

I said my part. I think this thread's reached its natural end, apart from a lot of screaming and personal attacks.
    • Up x 1
  19. Shatters

I didnt have to discredit your opinion, you did that yourself

Then how can you discuss the balance of snipers, when you know nothing about it?

The irony is strong in this one. You are the person here claiming that every sniper only cares about his KD and is bragging left and right. And you are doing so while having 0 experience in that area. People like you derailing the discussion into a flamewar of opinions.

For the people that want to stay on topic, read this:

1: The snipers in this game are the only thing holding AV-turrets and lock-ons from going on a total rampage. The nanoweave-problem is already getting bad, and it will only grow worse over time.
    2: Snipers can be very usefull on the battlefield, people just dont realise it because the effect is not as noticable. Sniping is also a good bit harder then the rest of the classes, making a new/bad infiltrator near useless.
    3: Infiltrators have been deemed borderline UP since the launch of the game (ignoring shotgun infils), while always being able to 1hit-kill (barely nobody walked around with a high enough nanoweave those days). Why would we suddenly become OP when we get our ability to OHK back?

Why is nanoweave such a problem for snipers?
    1: Taking a follow-up shot increases TTK by ~500%. In that time every target not AFK will be bunny-hopping, self-healing and sidestepping his way to cover. It completely destroys the BAR's ability to make a meaningfull impact on the battlefield.

How can we fix this?
    a: Increase the rate-of-fire
    b: Increase the damage done
    c: Decrease the damage drop-off
    d: Decrease the effectiveness of nanoweave
    e: Increase the effectiveness of other suitslots (less people wearing nanoweave)
    f: Increase the bullet velocity
    g: decrease bullet drop

Buffing the damage on the BASR is not the only way there is. You can also make the follow-up shot quicker/more reliable in order to deal with nanoweave.

Why would we fix this problem. I dont play infiltrator and dont like being killed?
    Because snipers are a part of this game, and deserve to be usefull on the battlefield. There plenty of ways to counter snipers trough skillfull play (cover, counter-sniping, moving, to name a few), so i dont even see a reason for such a skill-less hardcounter to excist in the first place.
  20. KoS-1

So you don't get your way. Accuse others of screaming or raging? And I"m the issue or problem? Interesting.

Why is so wrong for a company to update their info/documentation/policy to match reality of their product? Or even change their product to match their info/documentation/policy. Again it's just that simple, KISS.

Why is that bad, if I get my way, that the company do the above? That's all I"m asking for and many others as well. It's not picking sides or getting ones way about the game.

AGAIN...I don't care if NW# does or doesn't do X. Just don't piss down my back and then when I say what are you doing. Don't tell me it's raining.