Quick Note on Optimization

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by codeForge, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Fresi

I have the setup that is in the signature, but I am seeing a fps choppiness, sometimes help when restarting the computer, and sometimes it comes back.
    and still getting bad frames In this game, barely playable at times. (10 at times, 60 or higher at good times.)
    been fighting with the .ini file for ages, just wondering if anyone has a similar setup and got a good .ini file to share.
  2. gloowa

As far as optimizing the game goes, i say there is none.

Back in beta, my PC could run PS2 on medium details (except shadows) and still get 30~40 fps in largest battles.

Today, on same hardware, game is unplayable. I get 40 fps tops in empty spaces and 5~15 (five!) fps in battles that include more than 3 people. Combine this with MASSIVE mouse lag what gets introduced when fps drops below 20 fps and you have a perfect "can't hit anything" situation.

It feels like each patch is just new code slapped on top of old code, instead of refactoring sections that require it.

I wish this could be remedied... :(
  3. LordMondando

Did you consider the fact there were significantly less people in Beta?
  4. Megasmith

Not when you get the same numbers of players in one area that were in the beta and get 9 fps in battle.

PS2 is a great game held back be a horribad optimization.
  5. Megasmith

You know when a game's optimization is bad when you feel 20-30 fps is a gift from the gods.
    • Up x 1
  6. gloowa

what does that have to do with fps in empty places dropping from 60~70 fos to 30~40 fps ?
  7. LordMondando

Keeping track of other players is what is doing that.

Any environment in the game will run drastically faster, if there is no one around.

Its because, at the moment, largely confine to a single thread. the game client has to keep track of loads of player entities, that are inherently unpredictable in order to make the game world coherent.

Its hard as hell, hopefully they can mutlithread and optimize it more, but I suspect the desync bug was a result of early attempts back at the start of the year. Also don't kid yourself, this **** be hard. As I say a lot, there a good reasons to do with the complexity of the tasks PS2 has to do to get 200 players in the same battle which result in 99.9999 recurring % of the worlds FPS development houses not touching it with a barge pole.

The reason most games have capped at 64 players per server for a decade are largely down to the reasons PS2's FPS tanks when there are 50+ people within 100m of you.
  8. gloowa

You spek truth. But, what does that have to do with fps in empty places dropping from 60~70 fos (in beta) to 30~40 fps (now)?
  9. TasoPEWPEW

just posting to let Sony know they've lost another player because of the FPS issues in this game. And no, I won't "see you later", will move on to a different game that doesn't cause frustration - I don't need to spend my little free time trying to adjust graphics settings and unparking cores etc because you made a crap game.
    • Up x 1
  10. Pindaman

After tweaking and OCing my current hardware till the last drop was squeezed out, i decided to upgrade. A Haswell at 4.3GHz and 6870 @ 970 mhz makes a super smooth experience for me after tweaking a little on GPU intensive settings since im only GPU bound now.
  11. Stick Pin

And this is only getting worse because of the lettuce system, with 100+ people shooting at each other in stale mates! My FPS drop to 20 in those cases.
    • Up x 1
  12. Sapare

I just want to pitch in with the fact that this game runs WAY worse for me now then it did on release week.(for those who argue more people now, RELEASE week, big battles. ****** draw distance yea, but my game at least ran)

These days I have random fps drops and it generally is in an unplayable state(21fps constant in bigger battles with drops below 15). I used to play an light assult, the most sucidal and aggresive you could ever play him, which means I had to have good FPS to be decent at it. So there is no way I ever had this bad FPS for any lengh of time..(I remember saying in Feb 2013 that I got 50 fps at most times)

As for specs:

CPU: Intel core 2 quad CPU Q9650 3.00 Ghz

RAM: 3.00GB

GPU: ATI Readon HD 4800 (by far the weakest of those 3)

My assumption is that the game used to do more on CPU then GPU but their optimzation was switching to more powerful GPU usage which in turn means my bad GPU isnt good enough to keep up and my good CPU is left unused. But just my laymans assumption.
  13. blikky

Question: you guys are busy with the multithreading business for AMD CPU's, wich playstation 4's are going to use, will this patch hit once the PS4 version is out or before that? cheers <3.
  14. Megasmith

^
    Seeing how Everquest Next is on the same engine - they better fix this.But who am I kidding - they'd rather make a rainbow skin than letting people play the game with acceptable FPS.
    • Up x 1
  15. Maer

Implying any decent game currently on the market properly utilizes multicore.

The issue isn't how it's using or not using the CPU as much as it is the amount of weight it's putting on the CPU.
    With that said, not even that is much of an issue.

Upgrade your hardware.
  16. MMACK

Different ppl, different jobs, If you get the graphic artist to do the programing we'll never see any improvement - that being said my they should hire a few more programers
  17. MMACK

try to OC the cpu to 3.2 or higher I got my q9450 (2.6) to 3.2 and while it's not great it was a MASSIVE improvement over 2.6 - big battles are still poo, but hell even beast rigs have trouble saying above 40 fps.
  18. OldMaster80

Guess what scares me? In Everquest 2 the game runs better if I don't flag the Multi-Core Support box. o_O
    I hope that's a different team working on PS2 and EQNext.
  19. Drasilov

Everquest 2 was designed entirely around single core CPU's getting better and better - Multicore was never even thought of in 2004. The current implementation only really helps with rendering shadows as I recall. Its very much a limited addition.
  20. Bambasti

"We've found that for about 50 per cent of games developers, multi-threading is the number one most attractive feature of DirectX 11. It's a case of 'If I just recode in DX11 and use the multithreaded display lists I can get an average of 20 per cent extra performance?'
    "If you're struggling, as many games developers are, to use more than a single core DX11 makes the missing cores easy to get at.
    "Not only are the terms of DirectX 11 multi-threaded, but most importantly, when you talk to DirectX through one CPU core that very often becomes the bottleneck. Now you can talk to it from all of the CPU cores and they can push data to the graphics card more efficiently.

"That's a purely software benefit that anyone with DirectX 9 or above hardware can enjoy."

http://www.techradar.com/news/compu...ards/q-a-nvidia-and-amd-talk-up-dx11-643546/2

SOE should port their engine Forgelight to DX11 as soon as possible. Absolutely no idea why it is using DX9, any system that isn't able to run DX11 most likely won't even start PS2 because it simply doesn't meet the other specs.