To Matherson VS and Waterson TR: is it fun?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Coffee Hound, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Coffee Hound

To Matherson VS and Waterson TR… and to any other player in an overpopulated faction: Is it fun?

I’m just wondering, because as a player in a faction that’s lucky to get over 25%, the game is a lot less fun since the resource change patch. Increasing resource costs were supposed to stop tank zergs, but it only succeeded in making the tank zerg of overpopulated factions much more dominant. Now the underdogs are constantly starved of resources and spawn room doors are continuously barraged by tanks and rocket pods. It’s gotten old already and there’s no end in sight.

I am seriously considering changing factions to one that’s overpopulated like VS Matherson or TR Waterson, but I’m not sure if that would be fun either. It seems like having that much of an advantage would get boring fast, and none of my accomplishments would be fun or rewarding.

Anyway, could anyone in an overpopulated faction like VS Matherson or TR Waterson give me insight to what it’s like playing that way?

Thanks!
    • Up x 2
  2. Dis

I asked this very question in yell yesterday to a group of 48+ VS taking their third straight outpost/base from a group of 1-12 TR, the responses to say the very least were quite amusing. "Get rolled losers" and so forth.

I can only assume mass zergs like this attract bottom of the barrel players who can only get good chunks of XP from base caps. And there sure are a lot of them.
    • Up x 15
  3. BarxBaron

TBH no.

I moved from old Waterson to Jaeg expressly BECAUSE of the TR zergfest.

Then SoE lets them follow me and eat Jaegar during server merges.

THANKS ALOT SOE! :/
    • Up x 4
  4. zib1911

Its not bad on Waterson, in the mornings its really boring, any other time NC is equal in numbers if not greater, normally we pick a fight with the NC and leave the VS to ghost cap everything until they get enough guys in ones base to go crush, poor vanu =(
    • Up x 6
  5. Coffee Hound

That's just what it's like playing VS on Waterson. The TR steamroll us with twice as many people and talking trash the whole way. o_O
    • Up x 1
  6. Eclipson

Waterson really isn't that bad. The only time its boring is in the morning, and really late at night. The rest of the time the VS and NC put up great fights.
    • Up x 4
  7. Coffee Hound

From the VS perspective, it feels pretty bad. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement to fight back a little more before abandoning science all together.
  8. Kastrenzo

It's fun to kill them.

The gargantuan overpopulated factions are often the most incompetent too, I played on Waterson VS and Mattherson TR for a while each, getting used to being outnumbered and outgunned, makes you a better player than the hoardes
    • Up x 2
  9. Drealgrin

played mattherson vs day 1, no plans on changing that. Original Mattherson Vanu are the reason we're the top on that server. We've always been the best faction on Mattherson without question, best outfits, best players.

Us O.V. generally agree that we never asked for all the flavor of the monthers who joined recently. What are we gonna do about it? Leave our main characters that we've spent months and money on?
    • Up x 4
  10. Noodle!

If I remember correctly the answers you got where more along the line with
    "No, we're just doing it for the certs" and that most people treated it as griding in any mmo.

And as for your assumption, that's just immature of you.

I'm VS on the server and it's really not fun, especially during alerts when it's just a crazy zergrush. I made an alt for NC to experience something else but being on the receiving end is even less fun. Most fun is when it's balanced almost perfectly (everyone around 31-34 range). Although the hate the others have against VS usually results in this being TR and NC vs VS, reducing VS to nothing as soon as pops get more balanced.

Imbalanced population sucks because gameplay suffers incredibly. There must be some way to fix the rations because now it's just bad. Server transfers I fear will only result not in the overpopulated faction leaving for other servers but the other way around.

Besides the gameplay suffering as I mentioned before it also fosters bitterness and hate towards the overpopulated faction. That faction often in turn responds with mocking since that's how many people work (and let's face it, a lot of kids play).
  11. PLooschacK

No fun. Stopped playing my Matterson alt (VS) except for collecting passive certs. I stay till the alert is over if there is one when I log in.

On the other hand I find it quite amusing to play when heavily underpopulated - Waterson (NC) and Woodman (TR). Pretty much all I do is gathering a lot of certs, figuring out how to sneak upon my enemies and log out when enough zergs merge for the server to go desynchronized, making the game unplayable.
    • Up x 1
  12. Accuser

Waterson isn't like the old days. Now there is usually 30-35% NC to 35-40% TR.
    If 5% of the TR went to VS, we'd be almost perfectly even.
  13. VSDerp

no it isn't fun at all. but i been vanu on mattherson since the beginning and i put so much time and effort into my character it's hard to create a alt or switch fractions.
    • Up x 1
  14. LT_Latency

Waterson is fine, the only problem on waterson is VS population is low.

But 2 factions can always tag team 1 faction to make sure they lose which happens all the time.

But for over populations, There is not much down side. You can always find a battle where you are short handed if you look hard. the only problem is it's hard to find places to fight where you get a population bonus
  15. ExarRazor

you mean the VS responded to the TR the EXACT same way the TR responsed to the VS when TR was the one with 50+ world pop at all times?

say it isn't so!
  16. notyourbuddy

Maybe Mattherson VS used to be, but not anymore. I get a bunch of easy kills on n00blets and look up shocked to find out the player belongs to GOTR, AT, or one of the other well known outfits. Once good outfits are now polluted with so many casual n00blets that they have gone from elite to just another typical low skill zergfit.

Guess Mattherson VS outfits don't have any quality standards anymore.
    • Up x 2
  17. CaptainYamerica

Waterson is terribad
    • Up x 1
  18. subz3r01337

As Vanu nope **** sucks, no fun at all stopped playing until the pop evens out
    • Up x 2
  19. EliteEskimo

I don't blame Mattherson VS, I blame NC/TR defectors, and the 4th faction for making the VS have 40-60% Population on Mattherson during every time but primetime. Outfits like NNG, GOTR, TEST, and AT have been providing excellent fights since I joined Mattherson on the first day it launched. They shouldn't be forced to switch, nor do I want them to because without them the epicness of Mattherson would be lessened. You can't reason with the 4th faction, and the only way to switch them to TR or NC would be to buff TR/NC which in turn would completely destroy servers like Waterson and Miller.

Mattherson's population balance is in such a critical state that only merging with a server with a high level of TR/NC would fix the problem. However Mattherson and Waterson are too big to merg with only three continents. Ya it does suck big time, but in the mean time I will use my Prowler and kill hordes of VS down to the last tank shell till the problem is fixed. For those of you TR on Mattherson which don't have an outfit, and have a desire to crush the VS underneath your boots with such tactical mastery and professionalism that is does credit to the TR Lore.... Well consider BWC:cool:
    • Up x 7
  20. Jon Lee Pettimore

Like has already been posted; I don't think TR is bad on Waterson. Good fights.