Say Yes to Crossbow

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Blue4tw, Mar 19, 2013.

1. SolidSnake

No.

For crossbows to work it'd have to be OHK, and we already have enough of that crap with pump action shottys. Nobody asked for OHK weapons to be added to the game, yet SOE did it and everyone, well almost everyone, hates them. If Crossbows aren't OHK they'll straight up suck and nobody will buy them.... leading me to believe that SOE will HAVE to make them OHK to be able to sell them. Either way we lose.
  2. Messy

Hah yeah Halo one can be nice. But damn dude just imagine u de-cloak right in front of enemy face and put you blade right between his eyes.
  3. simon11russell

Well this is the biggest **** you to light assaults I've seen in a while. Lets just give everyone its class ability so we have no niche left to fill because everyone can get up on those roofs and out fight us and have way more utility.

As for crossbows it could add a new degree of skill to sniping with a OHK at any range but a really slow projectile and lots of drop. But with it being silenced and no tracer on the bolt as advantages over a bolt action rifle.
  4. Messy

1. It may sound as a **** you to LA. But you forget that this ability will replace other class ability (Medics self/AOE healing for example). So if guy want to be lesser medic but have ability to jump other roofs with weaker jet-pack, why not? Same can go to Med-packs. Why do we need medics if everyone can heal himself?

2. And what's the point to add another Sniper Rifle if you can give Xbow unique features that will give another layer of tactical gameplay? Do you think that sniper kids what 90% of time sit in one place over 9000 km away from base really help their team by doing 1-2 random frags?
  5. Sebastien

All those reasons are incredibly specific.

Zip lining? PS1. Though they may do it better this time.
    After doing some research into Serbs using Crossbows, it seems they were used because they [Serbs] were under Embargo, and Crossbows were exempt.

The Citations only links to pictures of soldiers holding crossbows.

Gun down a bunch of Protestors with an MG? UN ***** a brick
    Shoot Protestors with a Crossbow? UN doesn't care because they're not going to die without a bolt going through their eye.

Chewie's Bowcaster fires a laser. It's basically a gun except with a different model.
    • Up x 2
  6. Ribero

No because developing tools and/or guns takes a **** ton of time from multiple departments, followed by balance testing, tweaking to match results of said test and then followed by further little tweaks down the line. All time which could be spent working on things which have much more consensus on them.

Plus the forum whine which will come with this will be god awful. Look how bad it is without it even being released yet.
  7. exLupo

8. Messy

Guys guys guys Chewbacca lived "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...". You can't use him as an example because in their galaxy they use swords/pikes/electro staffs too. If in PS we will have Nanite auto-sharpening swords (Hello Deus Ex's Dragon Tooth) this example will be legit :D
  9. VogonPoetMaster

6 pages in, still no reason why the empires would want to field crossbows. The reason they are used to this day, is because they are silent and thus great for hunting, stealth ops, etc.., because IRL, silencers aren't like what you see in movies (they only reduce the noise from 'ear popping' to 'somewhat bearable' as well as reduce muzzle flash). In PS2, silencers are completely effective, so there is NO reason to use weak-**** crossbows or any other sort of mechanically-powered projectile.
  10. exLupo

*cough* Force Blade.

I'm just sayin'.
  11. simon11russell

But then your just giving every class the light assault class ability by allowing them to get everywhere and I can see no reason not to take an medic or a heavy onto the roofs as they have better weapons and have a tool that the LA doesn't. We would just be out done in our current niche by every other class. With Med kits its totally because you can only heal yourself once cant revive and you lose mines or C4 easily the most useful items in the game. and with the low TTK in this game most of the time your either full health or dead.

The reason for this is because it cant fill a tactical role if its explosive AoE then it will have to suck as badly as the under-slung grenade launcher. A recon type bolt just begs the question why not add the functions to the Infls tool. and at close range if its not OHK then you will just die to people with guns while you load your second shot and if it is then people will complain.
  12. Messy

Mmm what?
  13. Zotamedu

So what? They are still used for different reasons both in reality and in fiction. So you have no valid arguments except that you personally do not like them. That's just a personal opinion which should not be confused with facts. So I wish everybody in these threads would present their opinions as just that, an opinion.

If a crossbow breaks you immersion, then you are playing the wrong game. This is not, and have never been, a milsim.
  14. Messy

1. Yeah i can agree that this feature should be unique to LA, but don't forget that LA should get Icarus jet-pack (come on they should fix it). But i've wrote an example of deployable small jump-pad. If you give it to LA. It will allow them to have their own depolyable feature that will help other classes storm the walls. By this I mean that Devs will develop new features and abilities to classes. To all classes.

2. It can, it shouldn't be a primary weapon it should be a tool. Check all the suggestion people made about different darts (not only explosion ones)
  15. Patrician

16. Patrician

Trebuchets would be brilliant too. so why not? :)
  17. Kastrenzo

Starting to remind me of DICE
    Sitting around a table snorting coke, HEY GUYS WHATS AN AWESOME WEAPON WE HAVENT ADDED YET, COD, BATTLEFIELD AND CRYSIS ALL HAVE BOWS. PLANETSIDE NEEDS ONE TOO.

And then they shamelessly rip off like the entire design of the DXHR Combat Rifle, except it's a crossbow
    [IMG]
  18. X3Killjaeden

nononono. no. Unless my Lightning gets a ballista, my Vanguard a trebuchet and my HA a nanite slingshot
  19. Stew360 Translator

In my opinion the crossbow would be an excellent addition to the game. This picture shows how nice the crossbow could look in game.

[IMG]
  20. Marinealver

which is nothing more than an overtly serrated knife lol:rolleyes:
    It even makes the same call of duty swish sound so no difference from the other empireso_O