Say Yes to Crossbow

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Blue4tw, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Messy

That's only because you don't have anything to back up you point.. except your opinion. Tell my how it's not futuristic to shoot explosion rigged bolt with gauss-like tech powered crossbow? Pretty futuristic to me.
  2. Jrv

Rocket Launcher>explosive crossbow bolt
  3. Messy

Why not to side arm? It'll work as sniper rifle but will be available with PS1 style Stalker cloak. How bad is it? Basically you have a medium range weapon that can be used with stalker cloak (sorry forget the right name for it :D)
  4. Messy

And? Infiltrator and other classes can't carry Rocket launcher. Explosive bolts can be used against Light vehicles only, for example.
    • Up x 1
  5. exLupo

Mid-long, 6-12 optic, low capacity, low stock, perma-silenced OHK weapon for Light Assault and maybe one other. That's the only way I can think of putting it in that wouldn't be for funsies. LA need more roles than "poop C4 on stuff" and giving them some range play (no, "long range carbines" don't count) would add diversity.

Yes, a rifle would be more internally consistent but a crossbow isn't so horribly out of line with reality that it would be immersion breaking. As long as it adds something to the game I'm fine with it. The question remains, what would that role be? LR LA and...?
  6. IamDH

The crossbow can not fullfill a position in this game. Cant be 1hit and if its 2hit i might aswell get a sniper
    i like crossbows i just dont see it in planetside 2
  7. exLupo

That assumes it's infil usable. Just as infils can't get shotguns so have to use SMGs for close work, this could bring range versatility to other classes. HA/Engi get battle rifles (for what it's worth), Medic ARs all have a great long range variant, that just leaves LA who, currently, suck eggs at long range.
  8. Jrv

Giving an infiltrator anti-vehicle capabilities is stupid, they're not an anti-vehicle class. The superior technology you're looking for is the "grenade launcher," hence why modern armies use them instead of exploding crossbows.
  9. IamDH

Hmmm... You have convinced me
    This weapon could be expanded too
    explosive ammo n stuff
    AGREED
  10. Marinealver

basicly can be seen as a pistol sniper if it is a side arm.

For that stalker cloak they need to improve the infiltrators dagger abilities. It is a shame that the infiltrator cant backstab any non max player.
  11. Messy

Btw instead zip-lines I would suggest small portable jump pads (like the one the Towers). I'll be deployable like other deployables, but will a small velocity in specific direction and small jumping altitude. Main idea that if you jump and miss proper landing spot you get damaged according to the current in-game falling damage. (Taxi 4 Police Jump pads like things, when swat team jumper across the concrete fence)
  12. Highway_Star

[quote="Valena, post: 1733613, member: 51970]if something like this is enough to break your immersion then the solution is simple; Don't use it.[/quote]
    And don't get hit buy it, and don't run into an enemy or ally holding one, or visit the shop while it's on the front page. Then we may be able to avoid it...
  13. Messy

There is no need for Stalker Cloak. It was about: If you don't move cloak regenerate it's capacity, so technically you can be invisible unlimited time. But you have to pay for this and the payment was: No main weapon. Only pistol and knife. I don't remember other sidearms in PS1 except pistols, so I maybe wrong.

And I can't comment on OHK knifes like BF3. Because it'll be even easier to farm frags.

And it ofc can be balanced around the fact that reloading speed and ammo capacity is low for xbow.

So technically you will have:
    High accuracy, medium range side arm with additional features like tracing, expl dart etc.
    • Up x 1
  14. Highway_Star

Don't use it. Don't get hit by it. Don't see an enemy holding it. Don't see an ally holding it. Don't see it on the menu screens, loading screens, shop screens. Then you'll be able to avoid it...
  15. exLupo

Higbro has gone on record that they're looking (or were a few months ago) at giving all classes some way to impact vehicle play. Now, it was vague enough that maybe even things like EMP grenades making vehicles wonky are included but giving infils an anti-light/max explosive wouldn't be out of line in the same vein.
  16. Zotamedu

Modern military and paramilitary use

Up to WW2, the US Office of Strategic Services used the Big Joe 5 crossbow for assassinations. Nowadays crossbows are no longer used for this, but there are still some applications. For example, in the Americas, the Peruvian army (Ejército) equips some soldiers with crossbows and rope, to establish a zip-line in difficult terrain.[33] In Brazil the CIGS (Jungle Warfare Training Center) also trains soldiers in the use of crossbows.[34][35] In the United States, SAA International Ltd manufacture a 150 ft·lb crossbow-launched version of the U.S. Army type classified Launched Grapnel Hook (LGH), among other mine countermeasure solutions designed for the middle-eastern theatre. It has been successfully evaluated in Cambodia and Bosnia.[36] It is used to probe for and detonate tripwire initiated mines and booby traps at up to 50 meters. The concept is similar to the LGH device originally only fired from a rifle, as a plastic retrieval line is attached.[37] Reusable up to 20 times, the line can be reeled back in without exposing oneself. The device is of particular use in tactical situations where noise discipline is important.[38]
    A pistol crossbow
    In Europe, British-based Barnett International supplied crossbows to Serbian forces which according to The Guardian were later used "in ambushes and as a counter-sniper weapon", against the Kosovo Liberation Army during the Kosovo War in the areas of Pec and Djakovica, south west of Kosovo.[39] Whitehall launched an investigation, though the department of trade and industry established that not being "on the military list" crossbows were not covered by such export regulations. Paul Beaver of Jane's defence publications commented that, "They are not only a silent killer, they also have a psychological effect". On 15 February 2008 Serbian Minister of Defence Dragan Sutanovac was pictured testing a Barnett crossbow during a public exercise of the Serbian army's Special Forces in Nis, 200 km south of capital Belgrade.[40] Special forces in both Greece and Turkey also continue to employ the crossbow.[41][42] Spain's Green Berets still use the crossbow as well.[43]
    In Asia, Chinese armed forces use crossbows at all unit levels from traffic police to the special force Snow Leopard Commando Unit of the People's Armed Police and the People's Liberation Army. One justification for this comes in the crossbow's ability to stop persons carrying explosives without risk of causing detonation.[44] Furthermore, during the Xinjiang riots of July 2009, crossbows were used alongside modern military hardware to quell protestors.[45] The Indian Navy's Marine Commando Force were equipped until the late 1980s with crossbows supplied with cyanide-tipped arrows, as an alternative to suppressed handguns.[46]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossbow#Modern_military_and_paramilitary_use

You are welcome and here's a picture of Chewbacca with his crossbow:
    http://1.bp.************/-T011BxYdw4Y/Tg3AVbf0OJI/AAAAAAAAA0w/sRaY8BKG4dI/s1600/chewie-Chewbacca1.jpg
  17. MrIDoK

Silenced close-range bolt-action sniper rifle. 5 shots in a mag, one headshot kill, more than a second of refire time, impossible to hear above 30 meters unless you're in a completely silent and empty base.
    No need for crossbows if we want to take down people silently in one shot from close range.

However, they will add it and people will buy it. And this is the reason: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool
    I just hope they give it some kind of role that stands out from the "oneshotkill OMGSOSK1LL3DPWNMLGPR0360" vibe that came with the pump actions.
  18. Jrv

Chewie's crossbow shoots lasers; that's considerably more creative.
  19. Messy

Yep it's may be even a better idea to take out Explosion dart and give emp dart that will for example dissable Sunderers abilities to Repair, replanish ammo and give terminal access to players. Current SCU changes on test server disable all terminals in biolab/other bases. This EMP dart can work the same way.

Also Scrambler Dart that will create anti-radar like field, that will cover advancing troops from been shown on radars by Vehicle's Radars. (Like PS1 AMS cloak field)
  20. Marinealver

OHK like BF3 and COD I would say NO!. But assassinations like HAL0 reach would be awesome. If you are not completely behind someone then you would just swipe at them. However if you are then decloak and strike then wollah assassination animation and unless a buddy is there to blast you off his back before your knife him in the face and other places then good kill on that.