Worthless engineers

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by ikillyou1990, Mar 31, 2013.

1. ikillyou1990

To the people who play engineer and completely ignore maxes, vehicles, turrets and resupplying people with ammo,

LEARN TO PLAY ENGINEER!

Resupply:
    Drop ammo packs for players who are spamming that they need ammo. 9 times out of 10 they actually do need ammo. If you carry mines, take out the turret and press B. NO engineer can say they do not have an ammo pack because every engineer does. Heavies need ammo for rockets to take out vehicles/air. Infiltrators need ammo for their radar dart. Everyone needs ammo at some point. LEARN TO DO YOUR JOB AND RESUPPLY THE GROUND TROOPS!

Repair:
    Repair maxes. Max suits need repairs to be healed. Don't ignore maxes who are asking to be repaired. I have started team killing engineers who sit and stare at me while I'm calling for repairs.

Repair turrets. Don't wait until they are actually needed. After taking a base, they need to all be repaired so they are ready to defend.

Repair friendly tanks/aircraft. Sometimes people don't run engineer while in vehicles. Sometimes people forget to switch out and cannot switch in the heat of a battle.

Mana turrets:
    Don't block doorways with them, don't be stupid and set them out in the open where you are bound to be killed. Use them in a tactical way. Not in a stupid way. Even if you just have an anti-infantry mana turret, they can be used for both killing and cover. For the people who have the anti-vehicle turret, stop trying to hit ESF's moving at full speed. You have about a 1 in a million chance on actually hitting it. Use it to shoot at ground targets like it was designed to.

I am getting so sick and tired of seeing a base full of engineers while in my max and not a single one is smart enough to repair or drop ammo. If you don't resupply/repair burster maxes who are dealing with a bunch of aircraft THEN STOP CRYING ABOUT THE AIRCRAFT SPAM! For those maxes who are on other roles such as anti-vehicle or anti-infantry, again if you don't resupply them or repair them then stop crying about nade spam, rocket spam, tank spam, etc.

Why somebody wouldn't want to get XP for repairing and resupplying is beyond me. It takes not 2 seconds to drop an ammo pack. Or easy repair experience. Don't play engineer if you completely ignore your role.
    • Up x 12
  2. ih8Darian

If an engineer has mines then he can't have ammo packs.
  3. ikillyou1990

Yes it can. I carry mines and can still use an ammo pack. Take out your mana turret and press B and you can drop an ammo pack.
    • Up x 5
  4. ih8Darian

Works with AV turrets too? I tried pressing B a while back when I had a AI turret and I didn't have mines but it didn't work. If you can still do that then I'm such a noob :/
  5. ikillyou1990

Yes you can do that. I have the AV turret and yes it does work.
    • Up x 4
  6. ih8Darian

Thanks a million for telling me that, me and my friend had no idea, now I can not feel bad about having mines instead of ammo!
    • Up x 2
  7. Custodes

I've seen a thread similar to this before. If you are knowledgeable enough to know engineers can switch via B key but not every engineer knows this. You should also have enough of a head attached to at least show some respect, and if you can't don't expect any respect in your direction. If we are deemed so worthless by your so mighty presence! Why do you need us? I'm sure you can go without repairs, Mi-lord.
    • Up x 6
  8. Blackinvictus

I'd like to add to the post from an Engy prospective...if you need any of the above DO YOUR PART AS WELL:

Instead of blindly spamming u need ammo, maybe take a look behind you? I never pass up an opportunity to drop an ammo pack, its good free XP! But I'm not going to stand behind you in the doorway to get it as close as possible.

Max's hell ya I'll repair you any chance I get, but maybe get in front of me and offer me some cover? And WAIT a second before you charge off, I am not going to follow behind you into a hail of bullets because you couldnt wait 4-5 seconds more...

Vehicles...If you see the green flashy thing, that means I am repairing you, if you tear off at any point I am assuming you dont want me to finish, ...later there are plenty of more where you came from. In a tank zerg, its quite perilous to run out there, and you are most likely going to get your *** run over.
    • Up x 4
  9. Cirevam

Or look on the minimap. Ammo packs show up as [!!!] icons. To be honest, these "worthless engineers" must be isolated to certain servers. I'm tripping over ammo packs in bio labs on Waterson and there are usually at least two engis rushing to repair a MAX.
    • Up x 3
  10. ikillyou1990

I mainly play engineer. I always go around the map asking for ammo when I am a max. Usually there are about 20 or so engineers in an amp station or bio lab or some other large fight in one room and not a single one repairs or drops ammo.
    I also never run away when somebody is trying to repair.
    I do my part as an engineer, if somebody needs repaired I'll repair without them even asking. I drop ammo as well without people even asking.
  11. ikillyou1990

I say worthless because an engineer who does not do his job at repairing or dropping ammo is a worthless engineer. he may as well be some other class. No point in being an engineer when you don't do your job. Engineer is a support class. A support class helps out with other infantry and vehicles. Which in turn helps the fight. So engineers who do not do this can potentially screw over a fight real quick.
  12. Blackinvictus

Yet you mentioned in your original post that you start team killing them because they didnt repair your Max.

Maybe a few of them saw you do that?

I wouldnt repair your *** either if I witnessed you outright killing teamates

just saying..
  13. ScrapyardBob

The bigger issue with a lot of engineers is that they all want to place them within the same 10m circle on a push.

Instead, as the engineer, you should be looking to help push the flanks out by placing ammo out on the flanks. That helps the heavies and MAX units spread out more and makes it harder for the enemy to encircle us and then roll over us.
    • Up x 2
  14. eldarfalcongravtank

i ONLY play engineer class in ps2 and i try my best to help the team out

i rarely play as dedicated 'engie' infantry man but when i do i always try to support nearby infantry with ammo. perhaps also because i run through my own eidolon ammo pretty fast

i try to repair maxes but if they team-attack me because i was surprisingly standing in their way i stop helping them. also most times maxes run away to more dangerous places and i am not going to follow them blindly everywhere they go. i never repair turrets because i am rarely at bases, only to conquer them (i am more a tanker dude in the open). and it is kinda dangerous to repair friendly vehicles too since their crews dont seem to have proper situational awareness. like i get constantly run over by friendly lightnings and sunderers that back up or just dont care about friendly infantry in their path

and i only deploy my mana av turret in the open where it shouldnt bother anybody

i know i am not the best engineer but if i refuse to do anything of the above it's not like i want to troll my team but because my team itself does not seem to appreciate help that much
  15. Blackinvictus

Passing out ammo has been HUGE XP this weekend. With a boost purchased as well as dbl xp, its like 38 xp a tick. Bursters (especially squad) out on the pads can keep you contantly busy passing it out. I dont see a whole lot of others out there which is awesome. Just run from pad to pad. We get rushed from the enemy retreat to shielded top level, repair maxes (60 xp a TICK for squad Max's!) leave a couple stacks of ammo by each door and you can watch the certs roll in.

I dont mess with repairing vehicles too much unless its a sundy under attack or I can repair safely, but usually the engineer driving it (tanks) does his/her own repairing and want their own XP, dealt with that a time or two. No idea why any other class would pull a vehicle unless they are just using it to get from point A to point B.

Turrets I will try to repair, but generally snipers, tanks and air got them well covered in an attack though.

Hang back to repair base when I can, but if outfit is moving to next location quickly it usually isn't feasible.
    • Up x 1
  16. RealityWarrior

Blocking doors with Turrets is great. They don't block friendlies, you can run right through them.
  17. ScrapyardBob

That would be a change, because engy AI turrets have always blocked movement.

Plus, you can't fire through them as you'll get grief points. (Which is a two-way street, they do offer nice portable cover, but you have to be careful not to block useful lines of fire.)
    • Up x 2
  18. Maarvy

Heres the thing I play enginner a lot , and in many cases I can out kill the scrub max whos expecting me to be his repair slave by far .

Ever found that perfect spot only to have some 1 arm peon max come and block ur LOS and then expect you to repair ? , yeah me too and **** that guy he can die and I can have my LOS back .

If you want a Dedicated engineer get some friends join a outfit or whatever .
    • Up x 1
  19. SiosDashcR

No. It's not THEIR job to babysit while you're off cert farming other infantry with your AI weapons.

And you haven't seem to really gone in detail about Engineer gameplay.

1) Ammo Packs can be selected through the Turret, by hitting the {b} button - instead of compromising a Utility in the process.

2) If you want to be repaired on a more consistent basis, hit the [V] button then [3] - It calls for Repairs, places an icon over your head - and makes you stand out to your friendlies. I'm not going to run to every room of every base to see who needs repairs. If you're not bright enough to do that, then I'm sorry - you're just wasting my time when I could be doing something productive: such as taking out that enemy Sunderer with tank mines or keeping my squad MAXes alive because they do call for repairs.

3) If you're going to team kill your friendlies because you're low - then you don't deserve an Engineer. Hell, if I ever saw a MAX shoot me out of nowhere (friendly), I'm less inclined to help them in the future. Being repaired/healed is a privilege. They took THEIR time to get to you, when they could be doing something else, to help fuel your goal of whatever you're doing.

4) AP-Turrets are dropped down in the middle of nowhere as shields. It makes a great cover (since anything that's behind the shield takes literally no damage) and makes it easy to poke your head in and out of for simple kills. It also doubles as a deterrent for enemies - if the enemies were to say.. idk, MAX crash? Placing a turret in a vital spot that could slow down their moments and adding some sort of proximity mine (claymore, bouncing betty) along with a C4/Tank Mine combo - Will kill the enemy MAX than a friendly MAX could ('less you're a HAXMAX).

So in conclusion, no. No one should be forced to compromise their game play because someone feels so self-entitled to it. I do my best to help out other MAXes, but I'm not going to be your pocket Engy, especially when there's more productive things to do.
    • Up x 2
  20. Calisai

I'm sure the rest of the VS engies can tell you this.... but if you don't see a mag driver out repairing his tank, don't try and repair his tank. The first sign of incoming fire and they are going to take evasive maneuvers... over-top your body. (unless you are self-sacrificing type of player, then all the thanks to ya... sorry for the death)

As an engy and mag driver, I'd rather not have solo engies try and help repair me. I'm going to end up running you over. I CANNOT see you... even in 3rd person, and if i'm actively engaged in targets, forget about it. If i'm taking fire... your body is the least of my worries. I back away from danger and strafe like crazy, I use all 360 degrees of maneuverability to dodge incoming fire. I can't even turn around to find ya without swinging my large sides around and killing ya. So yea... sorry for any deaths that might occur.

That said, anytime i'm running a sundy... Any help is appreciated as those things are sitting ducks. :)
    • Up x 1