SERVER MERGERS!!! CONFIRMED!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BlueSkies, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Garantine

Inb4 people that think server merges are the sign of a healthy game....

Damn abunch of those people beat me nvm.

Oh and anybody that thinks this is going to lead to large scale fights on other continents, you're an idiot. The other continents are simply not ideal, people will fight on Amerish and Esamir when they're waiting in Q to get to Indar.
  2. Buntfunk

Anyone playing the game knows he is lying. Simple as that.
  3. SolLeks

it is not so bad on indar with connery, there is a test render distance and I have noticed it has been helping quite a bit. there are still isues sure, but not as bad as when people would appear and dissapear 10 feet from you in a large fight, now its more like 100 meters to do that.
  4. Kroloc

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/march-continent-locking.82996/ it will a continent locking to
  5. Apis

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Cl1mh4224rd

I don't really see that happening. It's not like any of the US East servers have, say, a low NC population. If the NC of one server were sent to another server, that server's NC population would be significantly larger than the other two factions on that server.

To get anything resembling balance, you would actually have to split the server's factions among the remaining servers (send some of Server D's TR population to Server A, some to Server B; send some of the VS to Server A, some to Server C; etc.) and that would be an absolutely terrible thing to do.

Most of those servers don't actually exist, though. We know there's only one AU server, but there are four that aren't listed as "Missing". There are actually 14 servers: https://www.soe.com/status/.

Correction: Each continent has a population cap of 2000. That means a current capacity of 6000 per named server.

With the corrected numbers, this becomes: 14 * 6000 = 84000
  7. Hael

84000 isn't that impressive considering that Everquest made a "big deal" of being the biggest MMO back in the day with over 100k subscriptions before WoW hit the market and shattered every other record.

EDIT: I mean we're talking about a free to play mmo with a pedigree title from a seriously large studio. They shouldn't be aiming for a pop cap at around 80% of what they got on Everquest back when everyone was on dialup.
  8. Syranorn

because there was not enough lag (on indar/miller, still waiting to get ammo from ammo packs), they are bringing more people. So there will be lag on every map.
  9. Kogmaw

And the over-all PS2 community feels:
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  10. Hunter_Killers

Concurrent numbers are always far, far lower than total. The amount of subs is kind of pointless.
    • Up x 1
  11. Zaik

Dunno what people are smoking talking about merging Mattherson and Waterson. They're the two large servers on US East.

I'd imagine they'll either roll together Jaeger and Soltech, or put one of each into Mattherson/Waterson. Same with US west, they're more likely to stick Genudine and Helios together rather than Connery with either one. Maybe roll all three together if the other two are deserted enough.
  12. ShiroSan

Yeah "Helios (US West)" is so dead I'm getting sick of it so I can't wait for a server merge it's needed badly! The sooner the better.
  13. Raap

Good move, better late than never.

It honestly isn't a sign of the sky falling when an MMO does server merges early in their life. It is perfectly natural in any MMO's life cycle: The first few months (including beta) you got a big population surge from all the casual players that want to check out the latest thing, then quit to try the newer latest thing, or because their computer can't handle the game or even simply because they do not like the game.

It's after this initial activity drop that MMO's, as long as they are well supported, continue to grow at steady pace.

This is also why marketting your game for that crowd of casuals is silly, you will never be able to keep them playing. It's better to focus on working on your game, make that core playerbase happy, and grow it from there.
    • Up x 1
  14. Hunter_Killers

I always felt there was far too much effort going into to relieving queues in the short term than what was going to happen adding more servers. I know it's nailed plenty of games, hard. Queues can be seen as a good thing in a pure PvP game.
  15. Raap

It always puzzles me why developers keep making the mistake of opening too many servers at launch. Just about every MMO has this problem... Put on the amount of servers that more realisticly matches your predicted playerbase numbers about 3-4 months post-launch. You get to say your game has higher demand than expected, and you don't have to solve the population drop issue with too many servers sometime later (yay good marketting).
  16. Riku

Hey man I dont think so.
    I'm on Miller where population is on HIGH during the peak times (even today on Wednesday).
    Amerish is still mostly about being ghost capped. Ive had some rly awesome fights there today on hot spots but really, most hexes are ghostcap.
  17. Gavyne

The reason being servers were all high and overloaded at launch, and one great way to lose customers right off is by preventing them from able to login and play. No gamers like queues, nobody likes to sit and wait to jump continents or login to play. This is why MMO's always launch enough servers to make sure this doesn't happen. The funny thing is it still happens, because the influx of players initially are always greater than the playerbase that stick around afterwards.
    • Up x 3
  18. VodkaGR

What the fk is wrong with people like you,not him.He is right

You got a game that runs like **** on most computer,the rendering distances are **** and the hit registration and lag compensation are ****.Also the vehicle spam is ****

What in earth makes you think doubling the players will not make any of those more **** than they are?
  19. Ronin Oni

^Bingo

They created so many servers in the first place to avoid the dreaded insufficient servers problem that faced many AAA titles in the last couple years.

It's a given that not everyone would stick with it. Happens with EVERY game. 30-45 days after launch usually see's less than half the peak players than the first 2 weeks.
    • Up x 2
  20. Bill Hicks

Merge servers but add incentives not to fight on indar all day.