Obesrvations regarding FPS drops from GU02

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Wobberjockey, Feb 4, 2013.

1. drednok

Well I have 3 completely different computers and it happens on all 3 so I don't know how much useful data they could possibly need. If something liek this happend to one of my computer I would use a restore point, so I'm not sure why they don't just roll back whatever stupid change they made untill they can hire some people who know what they are doing.

I can no longer play for more than 10 minutes or so, and I doubt I'm the only one.
    • Up x 2
  2. Voraen

yeh i understand your discontent 90% of players are experiencing fps issues and so am i. im taken a brake from ps2 anyway however i have seen on tweeter some of the devs posting that they are working on the issues that ppl are experiencing after the latest update.Im sure they will sort it all out. Let them do there job at getting it fixed and go do something else in the mean time. a week away from playing ps2 will do you no harm. when you return it will be as if nothing happened.
  3. CyclesMcHurtz Code Monkey

Thanks for continuing with all this great feedback and detailed information. We've identified at least one problem to address and are continuing to research other issues as well.
    • Up x 3
  4. Kryoclasm

I'm going to pause my subscription and not going to pay any more cash on this game until the playablity issues like the studdering and flashing are sorted out, i don't give a dam about anything else at the moment. I'm not very good at FPS, but with the game in the state it is in, i'm just not having fun any more.
    • Up x 1
  5. Sauleee

How about the SOE-sods refunds us our certs for the vast changes they made.. and also give us a pro-rated refund as the game is un=playable right now without vomiting from stuttering.
  6. Dramastana

What helped me with the FPS issues was turning sound channels to the 0 (yes no sounds) which seemed to make most of the issues go away.

After that i altered my UserOptions.ini with

SampleRate=44100
    UseFloat32Output=1

Which made the sudden fps spikes vanish. Im still a bit low on FPS but atleast its playable.
  7. Crowbar Sr

FPS drop after looking in a specific direction, looking in other directions results in normal FPS
  8. Arkha3

I noticed my GPU's memory gets completely soaked up during play, which wasn't the case before the update. Before patch it would sit itself around 70-80%, now it's always full at 95%. It's probable the game crashing or texture flickering/freezing is due to this what seems to be a gpu memory leak.
  9. RainorShine

Intel i3-530, 4gb ram, ATI HD7770, win 7 64bit. Never going to set the world alight and didn't exactly storm along pre patch either.

Pre-patch
    25-50fps pre patch, mostly CPU bound but occasionally GPU bound, mix of medium/low settings.

Post-patch
    1-30fps post patch, always exclusively CPU bound, gone through UserOptions.INI line by line (rendering section at least) and whether set to ultra with 2x oversampling (1.4 render quality) or all low FPS remains stubbornly similar, ie 25-30 in the warpgate, 1-30 outside and CPU bound.

GPU usage (at least as reported by HWinfo64) seems to be untaxed, ramping from 20% to 60% or so dependent upon level of pretties selected. CPU usage seems no higher than pre-patch, ie about 60% max, never seem to see above that, all 4 cores (2 real + 2 make believe hyper-thread) do appear to get some of the work.

Haven't yet tried any of the sound, mini map or UI tests.
  10. Wobberjockey

tonight at allatum biolab i was getting 24 fps outside the biolab @t the north outpost, but 50-60 in the biolab, seettling to 40 when everything loaded into the teleport room.

there was a large amount of player warp and lag though. and a fair amount of server-client desync (getting shot around corners etc)
  11. Grimzz

Okay so sometimes the FPS drop when you are facing something?
    my normal FPS is 40 with GPU bound..
    then when it drop to 1 is CPU bound,i am facing Crossroad..
    i turn around..it went back up to 40 GPU bound..
    or when i defending The Crown..i face objective B(FPS drop to 1(CPU bound))
  12. AggieSpirit

I NEVER saw such a huge decrease in FPS and performance after a patch on World of Warcraft like I have seen with this patch release for PS2. I have to be honest -- as a paying premium customer, I am pretty peeved about the FPS issues and the other bugs reported. Driving a tank, which I have spent much of my certs and sc in, is more difficult because of the changes in the control response plus the lag I constantly encounter when driving it. This is irritating to say the least. I can say that the lag ALSO seems to be bad when in infantry mode, and in the presence of more than 3 or 4 vehicles in my general view.

I really don't get why the interface had to be so tinkered with. It was not broken - at least for the majority of us.
  13. Ripshaft

I notice the general stutter and people jumping around is something that happens with increasing frequency after respawning. I tend to have long and interesting lives in ps2, and am usually fine until I die and respawn, then everything goes to poop.
  14. Hatamoto

The servers seem to have massive lag atm, stops for 10 + seconds and then tries to catch up usually resulting in death
  15. Reithan

Just tried this, it seems to help some as well. That game is MOSTLY playable for me at this point.
    • Up x 1
  16. BlackDove

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/1117160031559574714/DAB4B7E5209EE6A543FA9FCEF8A6A5E364866298/

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/1117160031559576408/8ECA49784458767C53814AF671482EB1353A2FBE/

This is Briggs AU server, where the MOST prominent lag I encountered was, before I quit playing. It's very specific when looking at that tower. I could turn around and not lag.

I was also in the tower, and it wasn't lagging nearly as much as here.

Keep in mind, the whole game lags now, a lot worse than it did before.

Before the patch, I'd get what I'd call "smooth lag" where the fps would just drop if there were a hundred vehicles, but none of the jerky weird lag that's encountered for apparently no real reason now.

It was at my VSync for the majority of the time I was playing actually.

Now, it's like the game speeds up, then slows down to 5fps or so, then speeds back up to 60fps, in certain locations and under certain conditions.
  17. Lethalspork

I noticed a drastic improvement when I set ( in the UserOptions ) TextureQuality-0 and EffectsQuality-0. Before hand I couldn't go anywhere near a large fight, or even a medium for that matter. Almost got rid of my choppy frames entirely...almost. I notice it when I zoom in with a sniper scope, when I approach a fight, and when fighting at Zurvan Amp Station. but only minor spikes. Overall FPS improved by making those adjustments as well.

My config file looks like this...
    Code:
    [Display]
    FullscreenRefresh=0
    Maximized=0
    RenderQuality=1.000000
    FullscreenWidth=1920
    FullscreenHeight=1080
    WindowedWidth=1024
    WindowedHeight=768
    Mode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Fullscreen

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=3
    TextureQuality=0
    ShadowQuality=1
    RenderDistance=2466.000000
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=1000
    UseLod0a=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=2
    EffectsQuality=0
    TerrainQuality=3
    FloraQuality=2
    ModelQuality=3
    VerticalFOV=55
    ParticleLOD=2
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    MotionBlur=1
    VSync=1
    AO=1

Hope this helps you guys out.
  18. Crocobutt

I bet everyone have these kind of nasty frame drops.
    Miller.
    I tend to experience these lags when entering a populated area or where a huge fight is taking place. The game used to slow down with fps, but now it stutters and goes all over the place. Overall, I DID get a boost in performance by at least 5-10 fps, so, kudos for that. But it's impossible to precisely fly around when the stuttering is happening, let alone aim at anything.
    My guess is the optimized sound system that loads the sounds up?
    • Optimized assets being loaded into memory.
    Stutters didn't seem to happen in a stable zone, where player/vehicle numbers kept themselves at constant levels. But when vehicles come in and battles rage over 2-3 hexes (with tons of people), that's when load-lag/stutter begins. That never happened before GU02 apart from lower fps.

I hope this was of any help.
  19. coldstatic

So after reading the other threads me and a few other tested turning off the UI. It didnt do a thing for me. No noticible boost of any kind. 2 other outfit guys were the same. Three others though it was an instant fix. So what they have been doing is if it starts lagging in a fight they just turn off the UI until its safe. Apparently u cannot respawn if its turned off when you die. Some other testing i did was to turn everything either off or all the way down. Ser render quality to 40% and render distance to 1999. If i change anything i get the stutter again. But if i leave it all down like that it plays.
  20. Lethalspork

Noticed bad spiking when a base with people in it at the edge of the minimap. As I get closer to the base, however, the spiking decreases. Was the worst when it was at the edge of the minimap.

Update: Same base after majority of occupants left, substantially less spiking. Still minor spiking when at the edge of the minimap.