[POLL] Do you want Dual Wield?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Caracal, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Purple

I do not want to see this in the game. it just feels like it would make the game feel cheap. i dont think i could take the game seriously if this is added in.
    • Up x 1
  2. stalkish

Wouldnt this cause more render problems? I mean more weapons more server load right? I thought the reason holstered weapons arnt displayed on characters backs was because of server load, at least thats what they said, ''we would have to sacrifice player count to render weapons'' or something like that. Were we lied to, or is this completely diff? Id rather see weapons rendered on people backs and sides than dual wielded, and also the option to holster your weapons, all of em.
    • Up x 1
  3. Caracal

Making an open world game as fast as this one which you can traverse without any loading screens requires some trickery to accomplish. Your PC needs to be able to display every item in the map at a moments notice. It is a daunting task. To make it work, you pretty much need to reuse as much geometry as possible.

You only have a few differing models for trees.
    You only have a few differing building/wall/bridge models.
    You only have a few differing character models.
    etc.

Think of each peice as a lego. You can arrange a very few number of legos into many many differing combinations. Taken as a whole, each design is different. But when you break it down, they are just the same lego peices. You want your PC to, quickly, be able to render anything in the game. In a game covering as large of an area as this one, without loading screens, you need to keep the number of legos to a minimum. It is prohibitive to design in any other way.

Adding weapons, unique geometry on character models, and capes expands the library of lego peices. It could be ok, but why allocate those resources (resources you want to use for something else in the future) to an item which serves no purpose to gameplay? Interesting note, capes are extremely demanding on your PC. Its why many game developers wince when people start asking for them. It has something to do with generating fabric like behavior out of the cape... multiplied by 600 people with capes.

Outside of the servers sending you data about what weapon the other players are using, which arent even equiped yet, so your PC knows what to render. I dont see any other action for the server. Surely theres more involved, but I dont know. I think its more on your PC's end. They want to keep you from slowing down from all the extra information. After all, I would imagine that they are already tracking what weapons you have equiped, on thier servers, anyway. Its when the transmitted data hits your PC that you slow down.
    • Up x 1
  4. Rhinzual

Your opinion no longer matters at all in any argument ever for the rest of your life.
  5. Squigzy

For the sake of defending what hasn't been mentioned, they never said you would duel-wield existing weapons or existing weapon types. It is technically possible that they would attempt to differentiate the Light Assaults Weapons from the Engineers by providing them with Duel-Wield specific weapons (Potentially attached to or around the arm in the same way the MAX weapons are).

I believe the concept is to allow the Light Assault faster TTK in CQC where (In a tower example) they could fly from one floor to the other killing one or two people along the way and evading during their reload timers. This can currently be done with a Shotgun and likely an SMG but again I believe it is for the sake of differentiating their weapons from the Engineer (Who currently has a larger weapon selection).

Though in all honesty I think it would make more sense for an LA to have a set of SMGs dedicated to them, but it is hard to say what would actually be effective. The love that an LA needs isn't in weapons (Though I always love weapons admittedly), it is in utility, and support.

LA revolves around speed and agility, the current jumpjets only provide ambush locations as actually flying in combat is generally a death sentence if the other guy is a competent shooter. As sad as it is to say (And it is REALLY sad for me to say) I think I would almost be more interested in giving the LA a better melee weapon and just call it good. Something that accents a fast moving class.

But what about utility and support? In the game as it stands there doesn't seem to be a mechanic that would make the LA a desired support class or specialty roll. There is no need for a class that helps lock-ons. Recon mechanics are pretty well dedicated to Infiltrator and it seems the real goal of an LA... might be to have them be the TTK maniacs (moving the Heavy Assault to a more anti-vehicle support roll with an LMG).

As it stands, none of it makes sense, which may be why it is some 4 months out (last I checked).
  6. stalkish

Very interesting reply, thank you!
    Nice to get a non trollish response for a change lol. Your probs right i have no idea about this sort of thing, it still amazes me what can be produced from tiny pulses of electric tbh. I was just sure i could remember higby saying holstered weapons = less players, but with the current render distance problems in large fights i wouldnt miss a few players lol.
  7. Ghoest

If dual wield means shooting 2 guns at one then NO I dont want it.

If it was a poorly worded way to say you could carry an extra gun on your back - Yes I do want it.
    • Up x 2
  8. Wrel Developer

You couldn't be more wrong.
  9. Rhinzual

What, that anyone who thinks highly of Counter-strike has no place in saying what is or is not good for the game? Well, I suppose since Higby's got a raging hard-on for eSports and low TTK, you may have a point.
  10. DuckSauce

I'm all for both.
    • If I could carry two different weapons into battle -- using one at a time -- that would be pretty ridiculous. Carbine + Shotgun would make the LA extremely strong.
    • If I could dual wield the same weapon, it would serve roughly the same purpose. Dual SMGs or GD-7Fs as a shotgun replacement at shotgun ranges, put one away for actually aiming.
    Sure it would be goofy, and probably not fit the aesthetic of Planetside 2; but then again I'm NC, so the 'no self-respecting soldier' thing doesn't really apply. ;) Can I have a cowboy hat too?
  11. blzbug

Only if they introduce PvE zombies and we can dual-wield boomstick and chainsaw.

[IMG]
  12. Rhinzual

I'm sorry, but something so terribly awesome cannot simply be allowed in this game.
  13. asdfPanda

Soldiers also don't take ~7 bullets to die in real life. But I see your point.
  14. Sifer2

You would be surprised. People don't always go down in one shot really depends on where they are hit. Sometimes people don't realize there were shot until later. Plus PS2 soldiers have fancy energy shields. Not that i'm arguing PS2 needs to be perfectly realistic. Just in the case of dual wielding I think it's a bit too silly. They already gave us laser sights for hip fire spraying anyway. It also brings up balance concerns with Pistols I imagine. Would be hard to make single pistols useful without duals being too good or vice versa.
  15. Dark_Eagle

I think it would be a fun addition, as long as it was just pistols.
  16. Ronin Oni

Dual-wielding is idiotic and only exists in action movies.

big fat NO from me.

Course, I said as much in my reply to their LA plans... everything else they posted sounded great, but I couldn't 'thumb up' due to that akimbo BS.

I really want to see some more tools for LA, particularly teamplay type tools.

I think dropping a climbing rope or something would be teh awesome... having an LA jump up and throw down a rope for his squad to climb up and over the wall. Could also be done with micro jump pads (can't lift maxes obviously) that an LA could place and would last for a minute or so. Allow enough height to get up onto facility walls or 2 story building.

I've been trying to think of other things LA could do.
  17. Veri

As long as dual wielding does not have the same CQ problem as a MAX, I 'd say yes and give it a go.
  18. R4GING

duel wield Rebel pistol = win !
  19. the pestimist

make it for a short time like heavy shield and etc so nc la can slaughter everyone muhahaha.
  20. Temple

Dual wield = no ADS...no thanks - What's your hip fire kills to ADS kills.
    Dual Pistons, I could be talked into that haha