Anti air rockets useless?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Fugean, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Fugean

I find when using the rockets specifically designed to lock on to enemy air units, i would have better used my time by firing my main LMG at the aircraft. this is ridiculous. i find that 90% of the time when i have a lock and i fire my rocket, it either misses (due to flares, which is fine by me) or the enemy aircraft simply out-runs the rocket or makes a 30 degree turn one way or another and the rocket doesn't turn fast enough and does no damage.

I find it amazing that enemy aircraft can out-run a anti-air rocket.

I don't even care about the fact that the damage is so low, if i could reliably hit an aircraft(when its not using flares) it would be great.

I think that the speed of these rockets should be boosted to that of an aircraft using their afterburners and the agility of these rockets needs to be boosted.

What is the point in spending 700SC/1000Certs if this weapon only hits targets that are stationary or close to stationary for minimal damage?
    • Up x 4
  2. Pat22

I bought the G2A rockets myself for when my dual burster max is out of commission and I must say I feel like I've completely wasted my money buying that. Less than half my missiles hit even when the target is but a liberator hovering in circles in the sky above me. I watch the missile as it closes in to the target and as its about to hit it just seems to get bored and disappears without dealing any damage.
    • Up x 2
  3. HopScotch101

yea it seems kinda silly, i guess back in beta they were over powered so air was useless which just turned the whole game into a tank battle. I do feel like they should do more damage tho. If i hit a liberator with all 5 rockets its still not dead, WTF is that, liberators are tankyer than the tanks! It feels really weird. The only option infantry has against air is really burster maxs' which is really lame imo, it looks like engineers might get a anti-air deploy-able turret which would be really nice.
  4. Pat22

Liberators ARE tankier than tanks. As a Light Assault I know that tanks almost die to a single C4 brick, two is a guaranteed kill, but a Liberator survives the blast from two C4 bricks. That puts it on level with a Sunderer.
    • Up x 2
  5. {joer

I bought a grounder on day one and freeking love it. Keeps all esfs away, makes libs think twice, and is useful for ground too.

If you are using it for quick free easy kills with a lock on aimbot mode, you will be disappointed. If you like getting some ESF kills AND a lot of assists on ESF kills you can't go wrong.

I'm just glad most people think like you guys when I'm flying.
    • Up x 2
  6. Deathcapt

So basically, the rocket makes newbs bug out when they get a lock, the rocket itself literally deals no dmg. you can lock-on at 450m but the rocket actuallly de-spawns before it hits. IMO the rockets should have a 1500m "life". An ESF can Flare the first rocket, tank then second, and then after burner away from the 3rd, that's like 30+ seconds on station with impunity to an AA rocket. The people who are bugging out are new pilots, experienced pilots look for the launcher when they start getting locked and take him out before he can fire 4 shots off, then go back and repair for more exp.

G2A rocket is useless, and thanks to everyone ******** @ SOE about stupid dumb fire, which it doesn't need, it'll never get patched, and instead we get the anihilator, and everyone has wasted 1000 certs or 700 SC.
    • Up x 2
  7. 13lackCats

I wave my annihilator at the sky,and enemy air runs.

Think of your weapon as a team thing, not a me thing.
    • Up x 1
  8. Pat22

The whole reason I got dual AA max and G2A launcher was for my team :p
  9. ArrowRL201

Because although AA MAXes are better, sometimes I'd like to have an LMG to fall back on.
  10. Stormlight666

Beyond useless. I did a G2A launcher trial test yesterday and out of the first 20 lock-on rockets I fired only 1 managed to actually hit the target (the rockets MOVE SO SLOW) - and that one hit did no damage. So I kept firing to see if I could actually damage something. I had a Liberator get low enough and start taking pot shots at me so I unloaded a rocket right into its underbelly - I barely dented it. Reloaded and dodged fire (barely surviving) and fired another shot to little damage. At this point I was out of ammo and went running back for more. I rate this launcher as utterly broken in it's current state and I feel bad for those who paid the money for it when it came out.
    • Up x 1
  11. Hydragarium

They're not useless at all - but you need several people using them to get any effect. They're free - vehicles are not.
  12. Stormlight666

An anti-air rocket launcher isn't a deterrent weapon. It should be a take that mother down weapon. That is it's purpose. On the other hand flak from AA turrets and maxes are deterrent weapons whose purpose is also to shred planes and take them down. With 4-5 rockets a HA should be able to take 2 ESFs down and at least 1 Liberator if all shots hit.
  13. Zenanii

Infrantery isn't supposed to stand a fair fightimg chance against air (or tanks for that matter). Esf can already be hit by small arms fire, which is usually enough to scare them of. What makes you think you have the right to single-handed take down a liberator, for 300 air res and a 20min respawn, as a lone heavie, that can be obtained at any inf station?
    You have to consider the numbers. While it might seem terribly unfair when you are fightimg a liberator 1 on 1, think of the real fights with 30+ ppl on either side. How would it be fair if 5-6 heavies on eaither side could completely negate any air-play with a quick weapon switch? If i pass low over a hot combat zone in my scythe it is bad enough if 10 ppl decide to unload their main guns into me.
  14. 13lackCats

From what I've seen lately, the batlefield is VERY dangerous for everyone.
    • Up x 2
  15. Snow Sheltie

When a pilot realizes that a missile fired at them is from an infantry (which is easy to tell because they're the ones that never hit you,) then the pilots know they have little real danger to fear as long as they keep up with slow and gradual turns that completely throw any incoming missiles into the wild blue yonder. I've witness pilots dodge six missiles in a row by just flying slow and making equally slow turns, all within 200 meters of me. It is unbelievably frustrating to watch.

The missiles need either longer range or better maneuverability.
  16. K.fresh

The G2A launcher is completely useless. I spent $15 yesterday on a gamecard to purchase the launcher, and out of the 2 hour gameplay with my primary inf class(heavy assult) I was able to hit 3/40 shots that I fired. In beta I was bringing down ESFs left and right, and although it may have been OP, at least at hit
  17. Plague Rat

As tragic as it is, the Annihilator tends to be a better G2A launcher for me. It's faster projectile speed gives it a slightly easier time catching up to ESFs and the rocket seems like likely to vanish into the ether on impact.

The damage is pitiful, but the simple fact I actually hit stuff with it, in the end makes it more damaging.
  18. MykeMichail

I think they are bugged (although I've only experienced the Hawk so I don't know if they're all bugged or just the Hawk).

Right now, I can start locking on to a target at around 500 m I think, but if the target is more than about 350 m away when the missile hits, it will deal no damage. I have in fact, locked on to a stationary target, fired, watched the missle fly the air and smack right into the target and explode, and it dealt no damage. 0 damage. Nothing. Not even a hit marker.

The target made no attempt to evade, it was just hovering there, and the missile hit it head on.

Right now, you can get a lock and fire, and even a target without flares can afterburn away (even Liberators with afterburners can do this) to get out of that 350 m range before the missile hits, and it will deal 0 damage.

They really need to fix this.

The missiles already miss enough due to poor manouverability, and frequently lose their tracking even without flares to break the lock, so this 'maximum hit range' limitation is annoying.

I'm more than certain its a bug, because previously I have fired a missile from ages away and missed, only to fire a second missile at the same target, at the same range, then used a jump pad to get closer to my target, and the missile has scored a hit.

Its the missiles distance from the shooter which matters, not the actual distance the missile has travelled.

This needs a fix ASAP.
    • Up x 2
  19. {joer

I've decided that most of the forum posters are whiners.

Oh boo hoo, my lock on weapon doesn't instantly destroy a fighter, boo hoo. Then you will be the types to whine about ESF's and Liberators and saying there is nothing you can do.

Christ, grow some balls people. As a heavy you got a job to do, #1 is vehicle control, #2 is being rambo on points. #1 is what you give to your team NO one else can. I've got all the rocket launchers except the decimator and all have their uses.

The lock on ground weapon (Skep?) for the TR is great for taking out that moving sunderer. Guess what it will take SEVERAL shots to kill it or a tank or even a lightening. Get over it. Are you the ONLY one attacking it? The problem is your team.

The same applies to air only air is easier to kill. Do you people have any idea what three grounders will do to air? Pop pop pop bye bye. And thats if they were full health.

Instead you newbies whine and then one of you will say "well they have flares" like flares are a magic shield that protects them at all times. Most only have the 40 second recharge flare (Good for getting away once) and at best its 25 seconds. They get 5 seconds of lock on immunity. So what do you do?

If you are alone you just relock if they stick around, and if they bug out, problem solved. But lets say you have more than one of you. Here is an idea. ONE of you fire, let them flare, and then 5 seconds later the others fire. Either the ESF is gone (Victory) or dead.

This is not difficult stuff people. Quit being cert ******. Do your role as a heavy. Keep the bad planes and bad tanks away. Quit getting out there solo or in crappy pugs and wondering why you are not effective.
  20. K.fresh

Joer, your lack of knowledge and ignorant rant, is what ruins the community. You have completely missed the points that people have made.. I guess that would be expected from brainless and amateur players like ur self. Nobody is saying that the G2A missle should be a insta kill or a 2 hit kill.. I dont care if it takes 6 hits to take out an esf, but as long as it hits.
    As it stands, the precentage of hitting an air target from 200M+ is 10% chance, of course depending on the velocity and direction the target is traveling
    • Up x 1