Is it fair to allow MBTs to be instagibbed by one rocketpod salvo?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Egg99, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Egg99

This is probably going to turn into a nightmare of a thread.

But for what it's worth, I'm not interested in the World War III that is currently ESFs vs AA balance. This is my second thread since installing the game, and I feel I've played a sufficient number of hours and put a sufficient number of certs into my MBT to really have an opinion on this.

I understand air is the hard counter to ground armor; this is logical, makes total sense from both a realistic and gameplay standpoint, and I completely agree with it. What I don't understand is why (all other outstanding balance issues aside vs. everything else in the game) rocketpods are able to instagib a tank with one salvo from behind.

I think it's silly for two reasons:

1) Lack of ability to react: nine times out of ten, once you start getting shot in the rear, you're dead. It's that simple. You literally don't even have time to move, strafe, run for cover, etc. I'm getting hard-countered, which again is totally acceptable, but why do I not receive any chance of at least attempting to defend myself? Almost everything else in this game (literally) has some form of warning leeway before it dies/goes boom/starts taking damage/etc. So, why not tanks vs. rocketpods?

2) Ease of use by the ESF pilot: In most situations, an ESF can instagib an MBT from behind before even taking a single shot from flak. Again, I understand I'm being hard-countered; I should get my *** kicked by a flyer in almost any situation. But I don't believe it to be balanced when an ESF can instagib me without any measure of hesitation or repercussion back onto him. Shouldn't pilots have to work at least a little bit?

I get it: rocketpods suck. I figured that out within the first half an hour of playing. But the extent to which they suck vs. an MBT seems... wrong to me. Take my health down below half, sure. Hell, even put me just above red. I deserve it: you hard-countered me from the rear and caught me off guard, good on you. But for god's sake, at least give me a chance to react. At least force ESFs to do two sweeps instead of one to get the kill, no?

Is this fair? What does everyone else think?
    • Up x 5
  2. multifactionserver

its fair; its a team game..have friendly air support or some AA with you

if youre traveling alone, too bad

BTW instagib refers to one shot kills, not a kill that takes 16 SHOTS; you have plenty of time to get out of the tank and you could even be equipped with the AA launcher if need be
    • Up x 3
  3. Shotgunjoe

Whats worse is MBT's can get melted in less that a full salvo even with top armor added (on prowlers anyways) 4 shots up the caboose from a photon thingy and you are toast, and the prowler caboose is close to J-LO size which makes in inherently easier.
    • Up x 3
  4. Xil

From a rear hit yes. I've gunned MBT's... my job is to watch the sky for aircraft and targets my tank driver cant see. When I'm on the ball, this doesn't happen at all as I'm getting the first shots off and telling my driver how to react. My driver disagrees with me, but has no problem one shotting said hoverspammers.

What they need is something maybe for the 'utility slot' that gives a rear armor bonus. That way you COULD cover the rear but at the expense of said utility ability.
  5. CoreDave

I do admit that rocket pods are ott and should be toned down. Lower damage against armoured targets or smaller mag and slower speed, maybe less total ammo. There are a number of ways their impact on the battlefield could be reduced. They are not as bad as many folks seem to think but they could stand being less effective.

Importantly the potency of rocket pods is 90% of the perception that air is OP. At least 90% of the ESF side of it anyway. Libs I always thought were fine, but since they have been buffed we will have to wait and see how that shakes out.
  6. medbot544

I have get outa my tank and fire my rifle at an ESF to try to drive it way since most will make sure to be above your gun height. As to insta gibs, OP is right. Plane will demolish a MBT before you can even press exit vehicle button; it's over that fast. If I know enemy has good flyers around...I don't even pull a tank. There is no point giving them free easy exp, imo.

I dunno, maybe mags and vans can survive better? My Prowler can't, it gets blowed up with 3-4 rocket pods max.

edit. like to point out, my sunderer survives longer against a ESF than my Prowler; I actually can get out of it before it gets destroyed.
    • Up x 1
  7. Jeralamo

Is it fair to allow MBTs to be instagibbed by one rocketpod salvo?
    uhh No i dont care about the rear armor bonus damage I think its a little silly with how maneuverable aircraft in this game are.
  8. Endust

Ahhh! the it's fair, everyone has to use teamwork but the ESP comeback. Classic
    • Up x 1
  9. medbot544

Yes, you need a team to fight of one stupid plane...

Thanks for supporting this thread!
    • Up x 1
  10. phreec

Instagibbed by a salvo? Exaggerated oxymoron spotted. :rolleyes:
  11. Hellkyte

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

So if you don't have any AA you deserve to lose your entire tank column. And let's be fair, rocket pods are the least of your worries. Libs w/ Dalton's will completely wreck your day.
    • Up x 4
  12. bPostal

Reavers don't use teamwork, they're in the Danger Zone!
    Seriously though, needs more skyguards.
  13. Mekhazzio

Just because you're in a tank doesn't mean you get to ignore situational awareness and wait until someone is shooting you to respond to the threat.

If I had it my way, repairing a vehicle while it's being hit would be hugely nerfed and the standard dumbfire rocket would one-shot a tank on a rear hit. For their speed, maneuverability, ease of use and ready availability, the tanks in this game are way too forgiving. Makes it boring to play them, when there's almost nothing you have to worry about.
  14. Egg99

...Thanks for that.

Posts like this are exactly why this thread will probably turn into a nightmare.
  15. Halcyon

This was a problem pre-launch, was addressed by Higby as a problem and said it would be fixed, wasn't fixed post-launch, wasn't fixed post-1st major patch.....still hasn't been fixed.

Several threads have gone up about this and it always turns into tank drivers who want balance vs the flybois who defend OP rocket pods.
    At this point I don't think anything will ever change, despite being lied to by SOE. That won't change apparently.
  16. Darkzero

One rocket salvo doesn't kill a MBT unless all of the warheads hit the back where the armor is the weakest.
    • Up x 1
  17. Flarestar

They don't. Mags and Vans both get annihilated by rocket pods too unless the pilot is completely ******** and is shooting them directly in the frontal armor. And if you're hitting rear armor, it doesn't even take a full magazine.

Sunderers had better survivability period even pre-patch than MBTs, so not surprised that rockets weren't as effective.

Air, period, is pretty badly unbalanced. Liberators can take a completely absurd amount of punishment compared to ground armor, despite having better maneuverability and easier target acquisition. It's pretty common to chase a Liberator damn near clear to their warpgate in an ESF before bringing them down, even with rotating between A2A missiles and full magazines of your nose gun.
  18. multifactionserver

it will only because the whiners NEVER SHUT UP

OMG OH NOES I GOT KILLED IN A TANK BY A FIGHTER PLANE

TO THE FORUMS!

pathetic
    • Up x 1
  19. Gavyne

ESF in this game have a bit too much of an advantage over ground units. In BF3 the jets are more a counter to other jets and especially helicopters. Helicopters are counters to tanks and infantry. ESF in this game really should've been more about anti-air, and liberators should be more about anti-ground. ESF should have a much easier time taking out a liberator, while ESF should have less power over ground units. If they balance it this way, it'd be much better.

In my opinion.
    • Up x 2
  20. Roobarb

If a 16 rocket salvo hits a MBT directly, then yes, it should annihilate it.
    • Up x 1