[Vehicle] ESF hover mechanic. How it should actually work.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kristan, May 25, 2015.

1. Xiad

And I took apart what you said and made it rather irrelevant to Planetside 2.

Also, who died and gave you authority over what the intent of ESFs and their characteristics ought to be? So what if it doesn't fit your blinkered perspective on how aircraft should function? So what if you don't find it enjoyable? Those are YOUR shortcomings, not that of the game. Plenty of people enjoy how the airgame in PS2 works, with the one major difficulty being that the learning curve is tortuously steep these days. I think what you are trying to disguise is that you are flummoxed by the way ESFs work in this game and, rather than admit that you don't have the patience or willingness to invest time into learning how to work it, try to make IT look like the culprit of your self-inflicted misery.

The solution to this is not to obliterate part of what makes this game unique and charming (if rather frustrating for the inexperienced), but to cultivate a less mysterious and elitist attitude around learning how to fly and giving people better access to both official and community-driven resources to help them. You are pissing in the wind if you think you are going to get much support for your angst-riddled complaints. What you want isn't PS2.
    • Up x 1
  2. Kristan

I'd take your opinion better if not your ridiculous attempt to just bite me. :rolleyes:

Nice effort, but ineffective. Move along.
  3. Xiad

That's a rather endearing way of saying "You're right, I DON'T have any other rational ideas to add to this discussion. I hope nobody else draws attention to it."

Any personal attacks used are more in response to your own apparent bias against the current system, rather than being simple ad-hominems. The irony simply flows.
    • Up x 1
  4. Kristan

Move along. And you're boring.
  5. Hatesphere

Some of the moves ESFs pull would result in black out even with very experienced pilots. All you really have to say to just if it it, is that its a game/nanites.

Really though I find the RM boring and would love to see a proper A2A intercepter tailored more tword traditional style dog fighting with very little ground effective weapons.
  6. MetalCotton

Just throwing in my two cents here, saying a lot of people like the current PS2 air system is like saying a lot of people like Ravens.

Sure, people like it. But there are still a fair majority of people who don't. I'm not the worst at dogfighting(I can even RM, albeit clumsily), but I don't like the current airgame either. It's just that current mechanics and map-size would make OP's idea unfeasible.
  7. zuka7

OP is so wrong with forward flight dynamics. Nvm about F35.

8. cbplayer

That thrust vectoring
    • Up x 2
  9. Hatesphere

Yeah. Thrust vectoring is a bit different. The trurns they make are also much wider then an esf. When you have main engines that provide more thrust then the weight of your aircraft you can do some fun stuff.
    • Up x 2
  10. Teshrrar

The end of hover fight is a dream. Use tactics in PS2 air would improve the game a lot.

In my opinion, the Airframes should define the role of ESF:

• A2G allow you to hover, but: you can't fly high; have a limited speed; can't use A2A weapons;
    • A2A you can't hover (except for land), but: you can fly high; have high speed; can't use A2G weapons;

This is like what happen today with the tanks: when they choose combat ground or air, they still can try the other way, but less effective. So, a A2A ESF still can shoot the ground, but without stop in the air.

Using the same idea, Liberators shouldn't be able to use belly guns against air and had to pick an Airframe too to hover. I never saw a bomber drop bombs to defend itself. Or you use the rear gunner, or maneuvver.

Galaxy should be able to do what it do today. This big beast is already very vulnerable.

Ofc to do that we have to review all AA. If today gravitate over a medium/big fight is a nightmare, imagine using my A2G Airframe's model... :confused:
  11. thingymajigy

Explain how that would work?
  12. Kristan

Ain't that explained at the main post? Maneuverability penalty while hovering.
  13. Kristan

Okay, I want to see F35 to pull an ESF maneuver, using vertical thrust it must turn for 180 degrees in few seconds. Provide the video and then we would talk.

As for this video, I've seen this live for many times, but it serves no combat purpose, pure showoff. Real aircraft combat happens no closer than few kilometers. Top Gun and their dogfighting using machine guns is pure fiction.
  14. SNAFUS

Please for the love of god will you flight sim fan boys accept not every game will fit your limited view of flight mechanics. You have countless titles that embrace the boring flight model you seem so intent on forcing on people here, please go play those if you are in such dire need of that style.
    • Up x 2
  15. Kristan

ESF is not a helicopter. It's a VTOL jet fighter. Hence should work like VTOL jet fighter.
  16. Ulas

Even though esf looks like a jet fighter planetside esfs don't act like a jet. So they are not jets. Their top speed dont exceed modern helicopters top speed. To my understanding they are just helicopters with improved agility.
  17. Ballto21

So from this

to this

18. Kristan

Precisely. :D
  19. Kristan

They do act like jet fighters. Or you implying that if F35 can point it's jets downwards makes it a helicopter? o_O

[IMG]
  20. Jawarisin

The day you can fly like any half-decent pilot, you might get some attention. But trying to fit game mechanics to your failures without thinking it over for longer than a goldfish would is not the way to go.

Changing the mechanics won't make you better, because I know that's what you're hoping.... Just practice and stop whining about it.

PS: Bringing real life in a game as a reason is stupid.