NS Sniper Preview via Bill Yeatts' Twitter

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AnuErebus, Feb 5, 2015.

1. RemingtonV

Well the thing about PS2 is dynamic loadouts. Like a medic with c4 gives up his medkits which makes him rely more on his regen ability which makes him unable to carry a shield bubble. Plus since he is burning his regen on himself, then he wont be able to heal his teammates as effeciently. Lastly, for the most part, medics aren't in good positions to c4 vehicles. Having c4 on a medic is HIGHLY situational. Plus with the c4 nerf, no longer doing the same damage it used to; especially against sunderers, one of the few vehicles a medic normally can get close to, a medic with c4 is now less effecient at his job AND can only assist a vehicles destruction.

Taking c4 away from Light Assaults basiclly cuts their usefulness to nil besides maybe placing spawn beacons and small ambushes.

Heavies and Engies are still the most capable of taking out vehicles, they are the only ones with equipment capable of soloing even a shielded sunderer.
  2. OldMaster80

Imho this should be Infiltrator primary only. Why should a HA need this? They already have rocket launchers. And Engineers... without Repair Tool they're definitely less useful. Moreover Infiltrator is the only class totally lacking an anti-armor / anti-Max weapon.

If Higby wants Engineers having a more offensive loadout then he should revamp Battle Rifles. They're universally known as very lacking weapons, they perform bad in medium / short range combat and they have lowest KPU rate among all the primary weapons.
    • Up x 1
  3. Auzor

As mentioned so, so many times on the thread,
    it should replace the RL for heavy,
    the turret for engineer,
    and for infiltrator I'm actually not sure.
    I have zero issues with an infiltrator luggin an AI sniper rifle and an AV sniper rifle on his back,
    if an engy is walking around with a carbine, a side-arm, unlimited ammo packs, unlimited turrets (except the new one..), and then AV mines, or more C4 than anyone else. oh, and don't forget: sticky grenade.

Soo.. infiltrator able to bring an SMG and a sniper rifle? Why not.. just make this AV sniper not headshot stuff etc, and we're fine.
    I am very interested in what the stats will be; as an anti-harasser tool it should do some decent damage, aand have high velocity; otherwise hitting harassers is guesswork.
    It can't seriously end up dealing less damage than a striker rocket vs a harasser? Not if they're going for 'bolt-action' rate of fire..

Oh, and IMO it should do pretty good damage vs air..
    a "skill" option for shooting at air. Hitting a moving ESF will still be extremely difficult with any "reasonable" muzzle velocity. (so non-walker)
  4. AlterEgo

5. AlterEgo

Indeed. A Lancer not only is better, it looks empire specific, too!:D

But what did good 'ole Yeatts mean by more faction specific weapons?
  6. Auzor

That would put the damage to max suits at about half a rocket.. tbh: I would expect you're going to be in for a dissapointment.

Let's presume the sniper hits at a range where it deals 600 dmg. x2 for headshot, 1200.
    Max has 75% dmg resistance. 300 dmg goes through.
    7 headshots currently needed.

BUT: if the AV weapon gets headshot multiplier, it becomes more of a sniper weapon, and the multipliers will need to be interesting to prevent it from one-shotting infantry, whilst still being highly threatening to maxes and harassers.
  7. qquqq

engi only choice between primary or tool slot, the engis real benefit is flexibility, make the armor pen drop off at 300m or less, but the inf value remain, this would finally give the engi a fight to counter snipers,

I have actually been askin for a sniper on my engi

1hk on heavy would be op,,, and they have rockets, make non locking rockets travel faster please, and make locking rockets travel further before turning, what a pain,

and no not infiltrators, they would be too powerful on inf, the only way to counter infiltrator sniping is tanks, no class out classes infiltrator at range, to take away armor advantage from inf would be dumb,

or if this is not a 1hk for inf why not make it a secondary weapon,
  8. Pat22

Heavies and Engies will get this? The two classes with the widest loadouts, biggest selection of toys and most versatility are getting even more?
    Engineers literally JUST got a brand new turret that nobody ever even asked for. Both can already carry an arsenal varied enough to effectively deal with infantry, vehicles ( and aircraft for heavies ) on a single loadout.

Infils should get this, or if anything LAs should get a compact version of the thing for their tool slot if/when the C4 nerf/tank buff happens.
  9. AlterEgo

HAs DEFINITELY do not need this; this is coming from an exclusive Heavy. Engineers however... I don't see why not. Infiltrators most certainly need a weapon like this. Limited AV potential and limited AI potential? That could be the most balanced thing in the game, even if the Infiltrator gets it. As for the LA, it depends... if it deals slightly less damage than the actual version, but gets more velocity, then why not? It'll be fun:)
  10. Iridar51

I think Infiltrators deserve to have at least somewhat viable AV weapon. But I find a rifle that simply does a bit of damage to vehicles to be incredibly boring.

Recycling an old idea:
    What if accurate shots at specific weak points could disable vehicle's subsystems, or do bonus damage? Anti-material rifle could use a special scope mode to highlights those weak spots. Just some small spots on the exterior.

Hit the navigational computer, and vehicle will get distorted map. Hit the ability module and you disable it (radar, fire suppression, etc).
    Hit the track chain segment or a wheel, and you either disable the movement of that track/wheel or just let it work at half power.
    Hit the main computer and parts of HUD vanish. Etc, etc.
    Or even wound the driver.
    All the disables would last until vehicle is repaired. Or they even could be required to be repaired individually.

Infiltrator will have to be very skilled to continuously hit those spots to damage or disable tank enough to leave it inoperable, and this will both give infiltrators things to do, and reward skilled play. Obviously, infiltrator will receive small amounts of exp for each successful hit.
    • Up x 3
  11. LibertyRevolution

If this replaces the rocket launcher, fine.
    If this replaces the repair tool, fine.

It seems like it will be stepping on the lancers role though, that is how I use my lancer, as a CQC anti-tank riffle.

Infiltrators should have no AV damage options. You want to fight armor, switch class..
    EMP should disable vehicles and maxes though, stop them in their tracks and drain their energy, so no charge and no shields.
  12. Asageh

HA shouldn't even have access to SMGs.
    • Up x 1
  13. z1967

I would be ok with it being on Infil, HA, and Engi but only if both the tool and primary slots were disabled. When you take the weapon, you commit to it.

HA would lose:
    -Their primary weapon
    -Their RL
    Engi would lose:
    -Their primary weapon
    -Their repair tool
    -Their turret
    -Their ability to resupply their primary with their own ammo from their own ammo boxes (so you could get ammo from a friendly if you wanted to)
    Inf would lose:
    -Their primary
    -Their recon thingies

I know it looks like Engi gets the worst deal out of this, but there is a method to my madness. Engi has a lot of tools, and the idea behind the weapon is that you are giving up your tools to gain something. Engi does still get their own ammo packs (so you aren't totally useless, infil can still cloak and heavy still has a shield) but can't resupply themselves (just so you can't stay somewhere forever, could change depending on weapon strength).

Idk, there is a lot you could do with a BFG sort of rifle, so we will see what it looks like on PTS before anything crazy (like my changes) happens.
  14. Fatal_Finn

Heavy Assault should not have this. Doesn't fit the role at all. Would like to see it on engy, not sure if infiltrator needs one. but imo it should replace AP and AV turret.
    This anti-materiel weapon should also have low ammo reserve and low damage on infantry.
  15. Dreez

Sniper rifle for another class then infilitrator.. i think this game is going to hell.
  16. Fatal_Finn

It'll go to hell only if that rifle is also effective on infantry.
    • Up x 2
  17. TheBlindFreak

Well, it is being intended as a light armor and anti max weapon. That's already been affirmed. If it isn't effective against max units, then why would anyone touch it?
  18. AlterEgo

?
    One deals awesome amounts of damage, has the third highest velocity value in the game, and has no drop, thank God.
    The other is the opposite. Let infiltrators have more uses, man.:)
  19. LibertyRevolution

The way I use lancer, uncharged, just spam it at tanks that are 20m in front of me, it more like tickling them to death.
    It really does feel like an anti tank riffle when used that way, it takes off like no HP, I lost a fight to an empty vanguard once..

Did you not see the video of the infil troll squad with explosive crossbows wrecking an entire armor column?
    12 cloakers were instagibbing MBT one after another, there is enough uncountable instant death in this game already thanks.
  20. pnkdth

Why is this going to be added to two classes who already have a lot of AV options, yet only possibly sort of maybe on infiltrator? Oh, right, everyone plays HA so of course they need it. Why? Gotta make dat moneh(and only scrubs plays infils anyways, lel, YOLOSWAGMLG360n0scop3 HAs. Come at me, m9. Woah, I knew lag fu, movement meta medkit dance. You even dps, brah?).

Seriously though, I am disappointed. This should have been infiltrator only.
    • Up x 1