Game performance atm

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by IronMouse, Aug 30, 2014.

1. IronMouse

After the last updates the game performace is worse than ever, at least on my lower end PC. The problem is I get HUGE FPS drops, especially when flying (terrain loading more often), entering new areas and whenever an enemy appears on my screen especially in CQC.

Imagine how annoying it is to watch a ******* slide-show only to be taken to death screen a second later.

I want to stress that the game was absolutely playable before, even on my rig.

If I'm gonna run it at 20 FPS so be it, but I want CONSTANT 20 FPS. Not 60 FPS -> 40 FPS -> 2 FPS (for 5 seconds or more).

It's completely unplayable for me how it is now!!! Literally!
    • Up x 7
  2. r4zor

Hm I was under the impression that the game ran smoother yesterday, and so were others in my outfit ...
  3. Gabriella

This happens to me too.
    Fps are actually better but the game freezes really often for 2-3 seconds:(
    We need a fix for that ASAP.
    • Up x 1
  4. IronMouse

I've heard that it runs more fluid on higher end PCs. But it's a nightmare on my rig.
    • Up x 1
  5. Captain Kid

I have not noticed a performance decreases (not saying there isn't) I'm more bothered by the server performance going down the drain.

I have friendlies popping up at 20 meters distance, friendly vehicles not showing up on the mini map, etc. It's getting quite ridiculous.
    • Up x 1
  6. Villanuk

I found although my ping didn't spike to 11939 ( yes its been that bad ) the game had patches where it was quite grim.
  7. BobSanders123

I haven't really noticed anything, I wonder what is causing the issue.
  8. Metcal

Huge performance increase for me
    20-25%ish (~10-15 FPS) easy I'd say atm
    Got some toggles and cosmetics to reset but this patch overall seems like a big Oh Yeah! :cool: to me

but, again, that's atm ;)

Win 7
    i7-2600 Quad Core 3.4Ghz
    10GB DDR3-1333 Mhz SDRAM
    nVidia GTX-650 TI 2GB GDDR5
    • Up x 1
  9. IronMouse

It is literally impossible to play. The game stutters all the time, sometimes worse than usually. But it's quite unplayable. I can't adapt to the FPS because it's too inconsistent, and I'm talking FPS drops every 1-2 seconds. Then every 5 seconds it will freeze for also 5 seconds or so, and then continue to vary between 40 FPS -> 1 FPS - > 55 FPS -> 2 FPS -> 40 FPS -> frozen for 5 seconds. You get the idea, it's horrible.
    • Up x 3
  10. CDN_Wolvie

Remember how Higby had a stickied post for this asking for PS2 players who had these frame loss aka hitching problems and then that post was no longer stickied? Remember how for some players, this problem has been going on pretty much since the start of this year?

And now notice how it keeps getting worse.

I don't know about you, but severe hitching is pretty much the #1 reason I don't play anymore.

#2 reason, far less than even basic, let alone ideal base design that results in spawn camping and farm killing as the pent-ultimate goals of the game for base capture, the capture points are ancillary to that ... not that the base capture really impacts all that much strategically to begin with.

These two things have plagued this game from the time it launched, things we tried to get addressed in the Beta. Its not hard to see how this game has lost so many players who tried it out realizing its potential as an alternative to the mainstream. Many, many half measure implementations addressing these issues in the past 2 years later and it went from bad to slightly better to worse.
    • Up x 1
  11. iller

I was getting "GPU" chokepointed a lot last night. Wasn't any hitching either.

.....and my CPU is pretty terrible, doesn't even overclock past 3600 yet I bought it specifically to overclock. It seems to have a tiny manufacturing flaw that causes instability while everyone else with the same exact series had no problems getting theirs to 4000
  12. Skore

Check your graphics settings. I've had my settings on low to endure large battles, but after the patch texture quality was set to ultra.
    I can't remember if I started tinkering with config files before this insane stuttering or after it out of desperation. But after I noticed it was back to normal.
  13. Joay

thats relatively normal. Some version of a chip are better than others. Its due to the way they are produced (cant tell you precise, so i wont even try, but you might be able to google it)

It has nothing to do with the game
  14. iller

yes that's exactly what I said... a Manufacturing flaw. Despite that, the CPU is still fast enough to be throttled at GPU instead.
    The GPU however is fine and can overclock without any issues at all (But I prefer not to b/c it's the only component that isn't water cooled). GPU chokepointing is what you WANT to see instead of CPU. Also, as Higby has said himself, you also want both your Operating System, and the Game installation on the same SSD. That also makes a huge difference in avoiding hitching.
  15. quatin

This started happening to me after the Valkyrie update. It's especially pronounced when I fly. Everytime I fly over a different base that needs to be loaded, it takes 5 seconds.

Is this being looked into or is this a permanent "performance fix"? I
    • Up x 1
  16. SocratesEverywhere

I had a friend log into the game yesterday for the first time in months. He had never had frame issues before in PS2 and has no issues in other FPS games even on ultra. He was stuck at 15-20 fps.

I had seen a broadcast stating that there may be an issue with shadows, so I told him to turn his shadows off. For a brief time, he got 55-60 fps. Then it dropped again.
  17. ajma

Mine is over 9000.
  18. Vertabrae

Have to say my performance is up. Running on ultra with shadows off, fog to I think. Getting a solid 60, which is all my monitor is capable of. Didn't drop below 50 even in huge 96+96+ fights
  19. Captain Kid

Right now am at an amp station 96+ vs 96+.. I'm getting 27 fps aka unplayable.
    So I'm waiting to see if I can spawn at some smaller fights.

Performance is crap even with half the players not rendering. Imagine how the performance is going to be when they fix the players not rendering.
  20. IronMouse

I turned the shadows off, was kinda fine on infantry for a while, but flying is still absolutely impossible. Then it got worse on the infantry as well, especially in larger fights.

Sigh...
    • Up x 1