Please make the ZOE useful at Something...

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Ztiller, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Goretzu

It has an most probably always will........ for similar reasons to ZOE in fact.

ZOE probably needs a complete redesign, although to be brutally honest I'm not sure with PS2 TTK MAX ES-abilities can ever really work.
  2. Goretzu

Successful ones?

Many less than if they'd just used Charge, almost certainly.

The Aegis Shield looks brilliant, it truly does. However it performs very so-so.
  3. axiom537

PS2 is not an MMO it is a FPS with some minor MMO elements, there is very little correlation between balancing the two types of games.

Because you claimed you where going to make a video. and FYI VR doesn't include splash damage, so it takes more there then in game. Galaxy takes 8 Shrike/ML-7's/S1 and only 6 Decimators for the Kill. MBT's die in 7 from the front only with the Shrike/ML-7's/S1 and 6 from the Decimator, while taking as little as 3 from the rear.

Sure the shield has some very situational usage, but over all its is worthless. Charge is much more useful and beneficial and In my opinion it is much more useful for crossing distance in which you will be taking fire or for escaping situations in which you are going to take damage. The shield like the Phoenix are EXTREMELY situational and more novelties, then practical in most engagements.

I'm not saying something can't be done to the ZOE, like improve its damage more, but then completely remove the speed & movement buff, I don't think it can have both and not be OP. However, right now I think the Zoe sits in about the same situation the Shield is in, which is they are novelties at best and really do not offer a greater benefit or even equivalent benefit to the standard Max specials.

I would like to know what these fire and forget weapons are you speak of? The only Fire and forget weapons we have are the same ones available to every faction other then the Striker and even then I think most lock-ons are not quite fire and forget seeing as you need to lock the target...Coyote is the only Fire and forget weapon I can think of in this game...
    • Up x 1
  4. Iridar51

**** no. As a Light Assault, I at least have rooftops as one last place where I don't have to deal with MAX *******, I certainly don't want to lose that.
    • Up x 2
  5. DeusExForever

PS2 is a MMOFPS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MMOFPSs

Remember the key definitions of a MMO is a persistent world (that's updated) and group play is encouraged.

No different than EQ/EQ2/EQNext or even WoW.
  6. Champagon

I don't think the words in this sentence can coexist, ya know? It is either useful or it isn't. I am saying it is useful, because as you have just said used in the right way it is awesome. That is like saying the lancer is useless, but in groups it is useful.
    • Up x 1
  7. Champagon

Then please tell me how to kill a hacksaw max camping in the corner of a control point with his buddies repairing him.

-The Decimators....they do nothing!
  8. DatVanuMan

Buff the movement speed, so it is better than it is now but not as good as 6 months ago, and instead of dealing more damage, let ZOE increase accuracy by 50%. Damage intake stays the same right now, and here's what I have to suggest: Once you max ZOE, it is once again toggable, but your MAX costs 545 resources instead of 315. So, here are your choices.
    Stay on Rank 4, where your weapons are 100% more accurate, you move slightly faster than infantry (Not as quickly as the past), ZOE has a cooldown of 30 seconds and you can use it for 15, and damage taken is decreased by 5-10%.
    Upgrade to Rank 5, where your weapons deal 5% less damage (Or anything that is noticeable, but doesn't affect TTK too badly), your weapons are 100% accurate and have no CoF, just a dot in the center, and velocity is increased by 75 meters. You can now toggle ZOE whenever you want, BUT your MAX costs 545 resources. You take normal MAX damage. You are also not as fast as Rank 4, but you are still pretty quick for a MAX. Any improvements?
  9. Ztiller

That is a horrible idea. Talk about permanently screwing over the VS. "Oh, you upgraded to Rank 5? 1000 Certs? Here, enjoy paying 50% more for your max for the rest of your life!"
  10. Niamar

I hope they leave it as is. Currently I do not use zoe and have not certed it since the nerf, and I want to keep it that way.

TLDR: Zoe is gud enuf.
  11. johnway

The zoe when it first came out was far too good compared to the other max abilities. Yes you could take less damage to a normal max, you could still take enough to be sustainable. Combined with speed and it was all but irrelevant as we saw ZOE Maxs just dish out a lot of damage and run around a corner and get repaired to repeat the process. It certainly didn't matter when pretty much all the VS Maxes had them. They would blitz the area and with the increased speed, damage and the numbers, damage was minimal. Hell they could turn it off when they felt like it!

But in its current form, its a bit rubbish and i guess i should be sad, but frankly i'm not. It was annoying as hell to see so many zoe maxs and combined with blueshifts they destroyed everything. It practically became the staple slot for them. The VS faction were suitable punished for being human and exploiting it to the max. But it doesn't go far enough. Nerf them some more i say! Not for balancing grounds, no! for revenge!
  12. axiom537

Sure those words work together....They explain the position the Shield is in perfectly. It is extremely situational and even in that very narrow sliver of situations in which it is useful it is at best marginally better then having the charge ability ( I would never call it awesome), thus overall it is virtually worthless, because you will rarely find yourself in situations where it is useful. Therefore overall it is worthless and you will be much better off equipping the charge ability and not bother using the shield even when you think it will be useful, because 5 sec later the situation will change and it will be useless again. Just like having an extra 10% damage buff and slight buff to your walk speed is useful but only in the extreme.

The Lancer is far from a good comparison, I think the Phoenix would be a better comparison, but even the Phoenix is more useful then the Shield, but not by much. Again this is another weapon that I rarely find myself using because at best it is a novelty. Its good at killing smoking vehicles and killing engineer turrets from the spawn room, but other then that I would never use it except from a spawn room. The Lancer is weak, when used solo but it is far less situational then the Phoenix. It still a great AV sniping weapon and good at hitting fast moving air and ground vehicles, which no other AV rocket launcher can claim to be other then those that are lock-ons. The way I see it. I would never equip the phoenix as a default rocket launcher, but I would the Lancer.

Like I said I would like to see the Shield made more useful, perhaps allow one arm to fire, while it is activated, or make it omni directional. And I would be fine with giving the ZOE a damage buff increase, just remove the speed and mobility buff, that was the core issue to begin with. Buff damage output back to where it was pre-nerf, remove any and all mobility buffs and make it take slightly more damage while it is activated. TR lock-down gives a big buff to weapons, but restricts mobility, VS should get a more moderate buff to the weapons, but retain mobility, NC should get a defensive buff with the shield but should be able to fire with one arm.
    • Up x 1
  13. DatVanuMan

But it is toggable once again. That is the main reason why the price should be higher. I am VS myself, so I'm not biased, it's just that ZOE was nerfed so hard by a damned nerf sword, and a higher price is one way to counter the toggle. Please read the benefits, sir:)
  14. BiggggBRIM

Bad comparison because the canister never has been OP. Unlike ZOE it has sucked since day one.
    • Up x 1
  15. Axehilt

Not sure what this has to do with anything, given that (a) MAXes are still blatantly overpowered, and (b) leaving an ability nerfed (meaning completely useless) is obviously worse than making it balanced (meaning useful in a balanced number of situations.)
  16. Lamat

It's basically like a kind of berserker rage. They should model it similar to that in other games.
  17. Conscripter

Jk 5.1 Arms warr and MOP BM hunter

Also, ZOE will never be buffed. It took forever for it to get nerfed, let alone a buff.
  18. Astealoth

the main issue with ZOE being useful is that everyone saw what happened when ZOE was useful

such a huge portion of VS was using pre nerf ZOE as their primary fighting force that game population was declining and every 3rd thread on the forum had ZOE in the title. when every other fight against the VS is exclusively packs of ZOEs with anyone not in a ZOE waiting on ZOE resources, the game gets a bit stale. you don't see roving packs of lockdown MAX or aegis MAX. ZOE is now on par with the other horrible MAX abilities. lockdown is just as much a suicide button as ZOE and aegis is so situational and bugged that it's in the same boat. charge is the undeniable best in all 3 factions, that's SOE's version of balance.

I played arms war extensively during the TFB heroic strike era, man those were good times. One of the most fun mechanics WoW ever had. Removing it pretty much led to my unsubbing after 3 years. When I first played taste for blood arms on the test server my vigor for WoW was renewed. Finally, Blizz adding real combat mechanics to the game, it's like a bold new future on the horizon. NOPE, BOTTOM 20% OF WARS ARE WHINING THEY CAN'T DPS AND THINK ABOUT A REACTIVE ROTATION, AND TOP 20% ARE PWNING WITH IT, DELETE IT, BURN IT WITH FIRE.
    • Up x 1
  19. Nexus545

And do please tell me what is so great about the NC Aegis shield against air, vehicles and infantry. Well assuming the reload trick still works with it then it does have a small use against infantry I suppose.
    • Up x 1
  20. Nexus545

PS2 is and MMO. An MMOFPS. You good sir are confused with MMORPG.