Weapon Model Revamp, More Diverse weapons for all factions !

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by VanuBangura, May 27, 2014.

1. VanuBangura

Currently in Planetside 2, too many weapons have very similar models and barely have differences in their function.

SOE please dedicate an update that revamps weapon models to allow more diverse weapons to be in the game. This is a major thing to take on with the not so creative art designers because a weapon models and the looks are extremely similar with minuscule differences. This takes way from the weapons creativity and immersion/player connection from their weapons, which is important in any first person shooter.

For example the GR 22 and the carnage are pretty much relatively the same the models of what appears on the screen to the player when I can using them.

This also holds true for the Vanu pulsar, SVAA, and other weapons.

SOE is very capable of revamping weapon models for example with what they did with the lYNX and the Jaguar for the TR, as they made the weapons radically different from their counterparts as well as put a new gun model.
    • Up x 42
  2. TheBlindFreak

On topic:
    I agree, most of the gun models are boring and similar. Not sure if SOE would ever do anything about it.
    • Up x 7
  3. Maljas23

SOE needs to create more weapon parts to add to their workbench. The way they do make weapons out of parts is ingenious, just lacking variety.
    • Up x 9
  4. Torok

PSA Bait :(
    • Up x 31
  5. Boildown

If the fictional manufacturer is the same, then the weapons should look largely the same. I think this is a waste of time that could be put towards other things, like Hossin, for example.
    • Up x 1
  6. Pikachu

The important stuff is done by the programmers and level designers. I bet the artist have enough time to spare for this. Heck they even made models for stuff long before it was added to the game and some stuff have not been added yet.
    • Up x 1
  7. asdfPanda

Can I have bullpups, helical and quad stack magazines, and stock variations please?
    • Up x 6
  8. Axehilt

Roughly speaking, every existing weapon revamped in this way is essentially 1 less new weapon. I'd much rather have new content than updating the old stuff.
    • Up x 1
  9. VanuBangura

feel free to correct grammar of my post
  10. Sandpants

Stat resolution is a direct cap to "new weapon" count.

It's not long till we be looking at guns with 1% difference in stats.

Our generic vanilla guns deserve to have at least a fresher look.

It could help sales. If a gun is crap, but looks great, and I'm good at the game (hypothetically) - I'm likely to cash in to get the gun just for the novelty of having a good looking crap gun.
  11. eldarfalcongravtank

the devs plan on opening up the player studio program for user-submitted custom weapon models that the players can then purchase in the ingame shop. it is semi-confirmed. nobody knows when exactly this is going to happen though
    • Up x 1
  12. RaidsRUs

I bet it happens before the mythical Galaxy update. Player Studio means there's cash on the line.
  13. JesNC

Where's the PSA?
    • Up x 10
  14. Pikachu

Nice forcing us to pay to have differet models for weapons that shpuld be different. -.-
    • Up x 4
  15. VanuBangura

16. ABATTLEDONKEY

I dont think anything in that post was above a high school level, from a vocabulary standpoint. A date with a dictionary may be in order :D

OP had some bad grammer, however he did not abuse any smart words.
    • Up x 9
  17. VanuBangura

feel free too edit it and repost, was playing and tryna type
  18. Eyeklops

I agree, but it probably won't happen because: $$. Sounds dumb right?, but hear me out.

More diversity in existing gun models means more video memory usage of those assets, which means less available memory budget for new camos / new "not yet sold" weapon models. This is why I hate F2P. Do we really need 50+ camos? I would much rather have vehicle enter/exit animations, enemy hackable vehicles, and less guns overall, but with more model diversity.
    • Up x 1
  19. VanuBangura

agreed but more models will not take up more memory because you are only using one gun at a time in combat
  20. M2_Bradley

You know,it makes sense that the Gauss Saw and the Gauss Saw S look similar.But the Gauss Saw and EM6 should not.
    • Up x 4