[Guide] Why I bail out of aircraft

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NyaR, Apr 28, 2014.

1. DramaticExit

Thought I'd just address this real quick. Drawing a clear distinction between these two is not really a particularly smart thing to do. In the example I gave, of people fielding full missile cav armies in Shogun 2: TW in order to get a cheap win, there was an interesting situation. The build in question - although very easy to use and highly frustrating to play against - was actualy not "the best" way of playing. It could be countered with patience, clever use of the terrain and taking certain units. In short, it was the "noob tube" of Shogun 2: TW. It allowed lazy players who often had a far more casual aproach to learning the ins and outs of the game, to score wins against superior players.

The competative scene for shogun 2, outlawed this build in community run tournaments, because it made for inflexible and unchallenging matches... Every build would have had to be either the missile cav build, or the counter to it, narrowing down the possibilities and making it so people could not excersize their tactical ability and skill.

In this instance, the genuinely talented players were the ones who abstained from using the cheesy build, because they knew that if they came up against another good player, they would get destroyed for using it.

If you were to ask any of the genuine top-tier players whether they believed using cheese tactics was an acceptable method of getting the win, they would have answered "no".

Drawing a distinction where you state that the "win using whatever you can" attitude is the domain of the "pros", while abstention from using cheesy tactics is the domain of the "casuals", is drawing a hard line where a blurry one exists.
  2. thepyrosdarknes

Kill denial is something I always try to do. The less points your enemies have the better off you and your faction are. It's not wrong to deny kills to your enemy. kill denial is whole point of these kinds of games. If you can kill me and my vehicle, more power to you. If you let me kill my vehicle and get away...shame on you.
  3. DramaticExit

I'm well aware of the historical context, yes (even if the vast majorty of sengoku period armies were infact spear infantry based, due to the cost of handing each and every ashigaru a horse, and training them in the use of a bow). However, that has little relation to game design.
  4. Mrasap

Are you also this guy?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ca...-calls-in-swat-team-on-opponent/1100-6419164/
  5. DQCraze

This is all part of the new generation. They have no idea what chivalry or code of honor is, they weren't taught it so they don't know it . It's all part of the smash and grab mentality. There is no finesse or style, they just watch some YouTube videos and off they go. It's not everyone, some people are creative enough.

Here's the logic, you are in a duel, you lose? You die with the plane and give the kill points to the other pilot in a gesture of goodwill , you acknowledge he was the better man. It's the same as if someone offers you their hand after a football game, suicide would be the equivalent of just turning your back and walking away.

You wouldn't do it at a football game at center field in front of thousands of people so why do it here. If anyone is the scrub it's the guy that just turns and walks away without any conscience.
    • Up x 3
  6. LtSqueak

This isn't a duel. This is a war. A duel has prearranged times and agreed upon rules per its very definition.
    If you want to duel, you and your friends can go hop on the test server where you can fight and feel good about yourselves in peace and not be disturbed by people not following your rules.

Now I do agree with you on the /suicide problem. It's a ***** move and I really wish SOE would take it out since we have a redeploy option. But I see no problem with what the OP did. He survived and kept fighting. Extending your football example, refusing to keep fighting would be like pulling your defense off the field during the other team's extra point attempt.
    To all of you saying bailing should be removed as a whole, quit complaining about people bailing to survive and keep fighting. It's a dead horse. Your thoughts have more than been brought to SOE's attention over the past two years and they haven't changed it. It's staying in. if you want to be chivalrous, then good for you. Have a cookie. I shall continue to bail as my light assault and blow up tanks.
    • Up x 2
  7. thepyrosdarknes

Not at all.
    I have no problem with them killing me. I just don't have to make it easy for them. If my opponent in a football game is better than me then I have to adjust my tactics accordingly and play better. I am a bad player. A really bad player. If someone can't kill me while I am in an esf or a mbt then there is a problem and I have no reason, or obligation, to sit there and let them. Also, with new exp system they get points based upon how much damage they deal to me or my vehicle; therefore it is not like I am really doing much, besides skewing their stats (which aren't really important), by blowing up my own vehicle.
    • Up x 1
  8. MostlyClueless

If they were the better man they'd have rolled TR. Loyalty until Death, which you won't get so easily.
  9. Mrasap

Players deconstructed their vehicle to screw over their enemy and SOE changed it.
    Players logged out to preserve their K/D ratio, screwing over their enemy and SOE changed it.
    Now players are bailing with the intention to redeploy, screwing over their enemy.
    Following the logic of previous changes it is only a matter of time before SOE will change it.

Please note I am talking about players who bail with the sole intention to redeploy.
    This behaviour has become prevalent only recently, hence there was no reason to change it.
    • Up x 1
  10. DQCraze

I don't care what you do, it's statement of my beliefs. I'm not asking anyone to change the rules. We have 2 different trains of thought here, neither is wrong.

Your explanation of why you bail isn't going to change my mind. Obviously, the OP is feeling he needs to justify his actions because more than one player thought it was a lame move. You have your side we have ours, that's just how it is, but calling us scrubs or bads just because we think it's a lame move just proves my point even further.
  11. MostlyClueless

But that is literally what a Scrub is. Someone who complains certain moves are "Lame"
  12. DQCraze

A scrub is someone with no class in my generation.
  13. DQCraze

This actually brings up an interesting conversation on gaming behavior and ethics. I see several distinct beliefs here.

Maybe I'll do a paper on it for my thesis.
    • Up x 1
  14. MostlyClueless

Well keep up Grandad.
    • Up x 1
  15. GhostAvatar

You and me both. This is why I fly exclusively as an engineer. Because I have saved my mossy many times when it was on fire and fire suppress was on cooldown after a dogfight or just took to much AA and escaped. That to me is more important than a simple meaningless stat.

But to those that bail, I really dont care. I denied them an aircraft and I will still try to get the kill also. And honestly, it is a lot more satisfying killing a bailing LA than killing someone in their aircraft.

You want to know why they probably haven't addressed it and probably won't. Because in the current system compared to the old one. The opponent is not denying XP or the kill. They are just making it harder for you to get it, at an expense to them using other options that could very well keep them in the air longer.
    • Up x 1
  16. z1967

When I kill a bailing LA (or multiple as I have seen in libs on connery o_O) I always feel great like I personally thwarted their attempt to escape me. Then I question myself when I see tags from Recursion, X, Fcrw etc. and I wonder why they didn't just go engineer and repair after each engagement. They are better pilots and no doubt they could have won that engagement if they had landed and repaired beforehand.

Seems like they would have kept the aircraft longer if they were willing to die in the end (irony?) :|
  17. GhostAvatar

I know, this is the trade off they make by choice. And killing them is more satisfying after bailing, because you know they made that trade off for no reason and you still got the kill anyways.
    • Up x 1
  18. Mrasap

Oh I still killed Daddy before the Daddy clause. He made it harder for me, sure, as I had to consort to a smaller selection of possibilities such as Dalton / AP / ramming. His methods weren't total denial as you suggest. The principle remains the same.
  19. Mxiter

I always hunt bailers.

If they bailed, it means that they lose & deserve a sanction.
    • Up x 1
  20. TeknoBug

I don't fly period. Only when I need to get to a location quickly like across the onctinent and there's no respawn location near the squad/platoon.
    • Up x 2