If you are going to add an activation time to the HA overshield, give us one thing in return

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Roll Fizzlebeef, Mar 22, 2014.

1. AltF4Fun

I wonder which stats encouraged them to make the change.It was certainly not from HA shield nerf threads,almost never seen one of them.This came out of nowhere for me.
    • Up x 2
  2. doombro

Buff the defensive benefits, but remove the ability to use weapons while the shield is active.
  3. NinjaTurtle

ScourgeoftheServer had a good idea on FNO which was to remove the movement speed penalty when the shield is active.

That seems like a good compromise
    • Up x 3
  4. Vorxil

You have 0.1 s to turn on overshield, turn 180º, identify threat, aim and fire. If the opposing player is any decent, even if the overshield information is transmitted instantaneously to the opponent because clientside hit detection, the opponent would still have more effective health than you and a gun that have on average more DPS than the best LMGs.

The shield is not the problem. Your aim, on the other hand, is.
    • Up x 5
  5. LT_Latency

HA is overplayed because they are the only class that can fight against all veichles with the RPG and reload that weapon in the field.

Not because of the shield. I like LA WAY better for fighting infantry but I take HA more because I will need to fight MAXXES/PLANES/tanks most of the time. The RPG is the ONLY slot can can do this well
    • Up x 1
  6. Nephi1im

Man, drama drama drama. One change, the likes of which you actually haven't seen, and it's a "personality issue".

Let's see:

Only class that can point and click kill a max... check
    Only class with a shield that gives them more effective health than anyone else... check
    Only class that can threaten vehicles on the move... check
    Only class that can do jack against air... check
    Only class with meaningful suppression ability... check

Seems like you'll be quite unique after this change. Anyone complaining about their class "personality" that isn't LA should be ashamed of themselves. Suck it up junior. Regardless of the "HA is the baseline, should be the most played" idea, that doesn't mean you get to be the jack of all trades, advantage in any firefight with other classes.
  7. LibertyRevolution

How do you even post such strait BS...
    HA having 650 extra shields is no help, everyone just can't aim, lulz..

Every time your green bar takes damage in a fight, you would have been dead as any other class, do you get that??
    650 NMG + 500 shield is 1150HP... every other class has less HP than HA has in just shield points..
  8. Nephi1im

Again, in your magical world where this is true it is not true for everyone else, including the game designers. 0.1 seconds? Let's see, most weapons have a TTK of 0.5 to 0.7 seconds, assuming said gun is hitting with every bullet. So, you have 0.49 to 0.69 seconds or more to hit F. Also, if you find it tricky to spin around with your 100 round mag spray cannon and kill someone.... I got nothing.

My aim? I'm not the one making the statement completely counter to what the people who designed the game are saying. Sounds to me like if you aren't able to replicate the dev stated "I win shield" maybe your skills should be called into question?
  9. LT_Latency

That is all because of the RPG though. Not much to do with the shield.

For infantry fighting I think a carbine to the head for LA at close to medium range beats a HA with his shield up
  10. Nephi1im

Hahahahaha I love it. Come on HA, let's see how you fare when you have the infiltrator drawback.
  11. Nephi1im

You read that part about the shield in there or just gloss over it? Also, the shield enables you to do half of those things more effectively than any other class could with a launcher.

I agree with the dude from earlier in the thread, HA should have to choose shield or rocket.
  12. LT_Latency

I thought the shield doesn't do much for head shots any more. The carbine is good at killing HA if you head shot them.

If the LA had a weapon that let it fight vehicles it would pick it over a HA. Most of the time
  13. Nephi1im

Headshots are equal across the board. I shouldn't have to shoot HAs in the head while they shoot me in the chest to win.
  14. LT_Latency

That is the point of the class, They have a shield.

They other 2 classes have better mobility that lets them engage from better potions and you can totally neutralize the HA class ability with skill (headshots).

The only thing that truely makes the HA a better pick is that sweet sweet RPG which you will need to fight veichles
    • Up x 2
  15. Tuco

That shield is terrible, I don't even use it.
  16. Vorxil

Cycler TRV vs Orion
    Medic flanks unaware HA from behind.

Cycler TRV:
    143 Damage per bullet (DPB)
    845 RPM ROF
    7 BTK

Orion:
    143 Damage per bullet
    750 RPM ROF
    7 BTK

TTK = (BTK-1)*60/ROF

Cycler TRV TTK ~ 0.43 s
    Orion TTK = 0.48 s

Average latency = 0.1 s
    Average human reaction time = 0.2 s

Minimum total time since first shot fired before the HA notices he's being shot = 2*0.1s + 0.2 s = 0.4 s

The effective TTK for the Cycler TRV then, whose TTK is ~ 0.43 s, is 0.03 s which I've graciously rounded up to 0.1 s.

In that 0.4 s time, the Cycler TRV would have fired 6 bullets, dealing a total of 858 HP in damage.
    HA is now down to 142 HP. Turning on overshield, assuming that information is transmitted instantaneously to the medic, he would now have 792 HP, which is less than what the medic has.

Assuming also that the HA aims and fire instantly on the medic, it is now a DPS race. A race the medic wins, as you can clearly see in the following graph.

[IMG]

Each dot represents a bullet fired.

So no, I'm not talking BS.
    • Up x 6
  17. Tuco

0.4 whole seconds?
    Totally OP.
  18. SinerAthin

Heavy Assaults are not a jack of all trades, even today.

They can't maneuver as well as LA.
    They can't heal and ress like Medics.
    They can't snipe, hack and infiltrate as well as infiltrators.
    They can't repair, resupply or AV as good as Engineers.

Durability is their niche, but if the shield gets an activation time, it'll be an extremely situational niche that most of the time won't be worth it due to making you more visible, slower and easier to hit, and inadequate in CQC.

If this nerf goes live, there won't be much of a reason to play Heavy Assault unless for soft AV.

Medics have deadlier weapons, healing and the extremely valuable ability to revive allies.
    Whereas Heavy Assaults will only have a weak shield with an activiation timer that also makes you easier to hit, and weaker weapons.

A support class will become a better combat class than a pure combat class.
    • Up x 5
  19. ADUILO

Another thing I'd like to see is a new default HA weapon for NC. Currently, the default is the Gauss SAW, which is excellent at longer ranges, when you dump 350 certs into it, but even then, it still sucks at close quarters. The TR get the T9 CARV, which is one of the best LMGs in the game IMO and the VS get the Orion, which most people say is the best close quarters LMG.

Why not replace the Gauss SAW with the Anchor? Or even the GD-22S?
  20. LibertyRevolution

I don't know who made that bad graph for you, or what you think your talking about, but that is not how it is in the game I am playing.

When I turn on my shield after getting shot in the back, I have 80% or more my shields left.
    So I still have 400 shields +650 NMG + 500 life so 1550 HP left to turn around and murder your 1000hp medic.
    I would win that fight and probably have 75%+ of my green life bar left if I went with all body shots...
    If a HA is losing to a medic, then the HA is having a l2p issue.