So we basically get a longshot 2.0?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Bape, Feb 10, 2014.

1. DevDevBooday

Unlimited ammo gives you no combat advantage, charge up makes keeping a lead on moving targets difficult and no uses a semi auto.
    Precision Pro is the step up over the Longshot, Parallax and RAMS 50. A direct upgrade, its awesome
    The same thing but better

We get something different, but not better
  2. Bape

What the one thing infiltrator with sniper rifle love to do? Camp and snipe and what the most annoying thing that happens to them? Running out of ammo which the shade prevents. Unlimited ammo does give a HUDE combat advantage especially if you are farming for cert.

You can ignore the fact but end of the day it just a longshot 2.0 it not special in anyway and does not feel Empire specific at all. Maybe if they made it 850 damage or something them ok hard hitting but no it isn't just extra 50 dmg.
  3. MGAMIKA

Sorry guys but I would have to disagree with you guys... 3 of our snipers = a dedicated Anti max team.

6 Headshots - 12 body shots kill a max, On a (almost) Hitscan weapon. a single squad of 12 could wipe a platoon of MAXes, medics and engies IF DONE RIGHT. (otherwise you will just die XD).

It removes the advantage that the enemy MAXes have outside. AKA inside they die to our MAXes, Outside they die to our Snipers. I would say that the TR are worse off. +50 more damage to both min and max will solve that.
  4. Gheeta

I can't believe they are adding another standard sniper rifle, i mean come on, make it unique!

Few ideas:

1. Make the rifle do extra damage against aircraft, maxes and light armor but lower the velocity below the long shot.
    2. Make the rifle recon dart any enemies you hit with it while still doing it's normal damage.
    3. Keep the high velocity and increase the clip size but make it only do damage with headshots.
  5. Elrobochanco

The people have spoken apparently, and what they want is white bread. Maybe with a glass of water for dipping.
    • Up x 1
  6. Vanon

They give an imense amount of tactical advantages. Tactical advantage = potiential combat advantage. All you have to do is use the proper tactics at the proper time.

Unlimited Ammo: It means the sniper can find a perfect sniper's perch (with use of beacons, or Gal drops) and be able to never move. There are many times when a sniper uses all his shots and has to give up his spot to find ammo. This also means the sniper does not have to conserve shots, and can take any shot, reguardless of the actual chance of hitting.

Semi Auto and 0hk Mode: This is huge, it allows one load out to work at any range a sniper is good at. You can take more shots at less damage when an enemy is running, better ability to defend itself at close range (instead of pistol). It also works at multiple ranges. The guy running at you, you can semi auto, where the guy at range you kill after him can be a messured 0hk headshot.

Combining these two essentially mean you get the best of both worlds, while sacraficing clip size. Any sniper in their right minds would want this ability. There is a reason semi auto SR are not popular, but they are very effective. The reason is they lack the 0hk. That with the ability to take any shot, means VS snipers will be dumping rounds down field and capitalizing on hard 0hk's, and easy damaging body shots. it will turn into serious advantages in damage output, and positioning. In a class that is 90% positioning, It's litterly the best SR in the game. Funny thing is the other idea to give TR an super powered assult rifle is another huge missing piece in infiltrator versatility.

I'll agree the shotgun could of been BS, but now our versatility is a slightly more damaging bolt action SR with higher Velocity, in a world where most things already 0hk, and have pinpoint accuracy. The only advantage it really will give, is the ability to hit moving targets slightly better. That isn't that great since most snipers i know can hit moving targets already by leading them.
  7. Alarox

Wait... hold on. Did you just say. That it has. 800m/s velocity? Holy. Crap. (although, I can already lead and compensate drop with the Longshot...)

That being said, the NC are getting shafted in the versatility department compared to the other two ES rifles.
  8. Kulantan

Infiltrators have 900...
    • Up x 3
  9. JesNC

Damage is irrelevant for the sniper mode - it OHKs on headshots, that's all it needs. 200m/s more than the fastest BASR aviable now, that's huge. IMO that makes it wothwhile all by itself. Add shotgun mode and great aesthetics and you've got a no-brainer basically.

edit: Just read the Tweet by Higby that shotgun mode gets removed. That's.... disappointing :( Tbh, without the versatility the other ESSRs are getting, this is suddently looking not so hot. Thanks@everyone complaining, you just saved me 1000 smedbucks.
  10. biterwylie

Lol
  11. biterwylie

I agree 200 more velocity over the Longshot is a big improvement. Perhaps not worth buying if you have a long shot already, but for those that do not it is pretty neat. It is pretty hard to do much with sniper rifles.
    • Up x 1
  12. Kwyjibo

I would say that this NC rifle is likely the worst, unless the TR scout rifle ends up being crap. The VS rifle is sweet, it's a semi-auto and a bolt action when the situation calls for it. Anyone who's complaining about the charge up making it more difficult to lead shots is going about it all wrong. Use it as a semi-auto unless you get a shot on an unsuspecting and stationary target. It's for those times where you wish you had a bolt-action. However, they just made every other VS semi-auto sniper inferior.
    • Up x 1
  13. MrMurdok

So let me see if I got this right.

VS Snipers get a rifle that would take around 10 seconds between OHKs, they whine about the charge time, as expected.

TR Snipers get a fully automatic battle rifle, the only things that bother them are bloom and muzzle speed, this isn't even a sniper rifle. But are somewhat pleased (I know for sure that I am)

NC Snipers get a PERFECTLY ACCURATE NEAR HITSCAN FAST SNIPER RIFLE and they claim their gun is the worst.

Now, I'm not saying NC are whiny little girls, but I got a lot of cheese stacked up for these kind of cases.
    • Up x 4
  14. JesNC

No, we're saying it's the most boring and - compared to the choices we already have at hand - the most useless purchase. All BASRs one-hit-kill, it doesn't get any more powerful than that. High muzzle velocity makes it easier to land shots, true, but you can land shot perfectly well with any of the previous rifles and a bit of practice. I'd go as far and say that snipers neither need nor want more powerful rifles.

The new rifles were advertised as having new mechanics and some degree of versatility compared to the ones in-game already. The Precision Pro now only has a different model.
  15. NinjaTurtle

Are you the same Gnome I was disagreeing with on PTS last night? Doesn't matter just curious

So we get a sniper that at best fills a niche whereas the VS get one that is a semi auto and bolt action all in one whilst having the new and interesting mechanic of heat displacement in other words unlimited ammo? Seriously.

The Precision Pro (terrible name hope it's only temporary NC10 Valkyrie would be cooler, LA13 Harrier maybe?) if it is to be simply a bog standard sniper needs a few more buffs aside from just higher velocity because 850m/s isn't that much more useful that 650m/s for anyone competent. I would suggest they cut the chamber time in half for a start.
    • Up x 1
  16. NinjaTurtle

No that isn't it, our gun might end up being the best technically, hard to say until they are all finalized and on live but what I'm pissed off with is how it is the most uninspired and boring design aside from the aesthetic which is really nice

It is at the moment a slightly better Longshot, that said the new straight pull buffs current bolt actions alot for no downsides and that one attachment will make the Precision Pro inferior to anyone that can lead even slightly
  17. Torok

Really?
    I thought 800!
  18. HadesR

Less about it's stats and more about it's blandness I would guess .. A bit like how TR feel the Striker is just another lock-on without anything unique or fun.
  19. Reavx

Incorrect most of the Nc are happy with our rifle.
    Would not mind a little extra uniqueness like antimax and light.armour but that is possibly too op.
    This rifle on paper and in practice is more powerful than the other factions bolt rifles.
    Thats all that needs to be said.
    In a couple of.months i can see people complaining about ncs infiltrators.

Stop right there.
    There is no "we".
    There is the outspoken minority, you.
    And the majority which are content.
  20. Nephi1im

But but..... I want it to 1 shot galaxies, and blow tanks off their tracks! Seriously guys, if you haven't tried the TR and VS rifles, you don't know how good you've got it. The VS is usable, but if you aren't a semi-auto user (or prefer BASR) it's basically the starter gun with an LOL you're afk mode. Yes, it has infinite ammo, but I'll take the new NC over it all day since..... wait for it..... 90% of the time I'm within 150 meters of a terminal/sunderer.

I'm not much of a semi-auto user, but I find the TR gun to be a) god awful looking and b) this strange bastard child thing of a couple of guns no one uses. Seriously, this thing looks like a "I've seen enough **** to know where this is going" sort of job.

At this point, I REALLY hope the gun at current is what makes it in. It is the epitome of the long range BASR. The fact that my empire will be the only one with it is icing on the cake. While TR is playing mini machine gun and VS are waiting for their cooldown, this thing will be mopping them all up with pinpoint accuracy from any range.