So we basically get a longshot 2.0?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Bape, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Nephi1im

Well, that's the stepchild in the closet.... along with the flashlight. Suppressors and scopes are the only attachments :p
  2. Donaldson Jones

I took the rifle for a spin I have to say it's fairly impressive, right now the optics seem off ..well that or the shot rises about 6 in after leaving the muzzle as putting the [x] axis of the scope on the neckline yields head shots.

The TR rifle needs some serious help though. VS one is cool with no ammo mechanic.
  3. ToastyMan

Evidently SOE loves to give us NC shotguns, and our faction trait is heavy hitting, why not combine both. Instead of the old NC ESSR which could switch between a high powered round and a shotgun type thing. Why not introduce an ammo unlock for this gun, where the bullet "explodes" on impact with any object into a shrapnel/flechette AOE damage. This would be an original idea, and would fill both of the NC's traits.
  4. Chrispin

Haha wouldn't it be great if there was a high velocity cheese gun that could feed the NC population from afar and end their hunger? NVM they'll probably just keep drinking through their infinite wine supply instead
    • Up x 1
  5. JesNC

Are you serious?

The Hitscan Pro is the very definition of bland and boring, yet OP as ****.

I just want something different. Make it shoot BBs for all I care, power is a non-issue to me since I already have 4 rifles that do the exact same thing with a little more effort on behalf of the operator.
    • Up x 2
  6. treeHamster

When will you people learn that boring and bland ends up being the best EVERY TIME.

"Unique" means different from the rest. Well guess what, the devs kinda figured out what would be "effective at killing" early in the game. Anything "new" or "unique" they can think of will end up being LESS effective.

The girl with no upper lip or a third nipple is SURELY "unique" but you sure don't wanna procreate with her.

You wanna know what "unique" is to these devs? A freakin' charge up mechanic. Go out and TRY to find a SINGLE VS that likes the charge up mechanic.

TDLR; Boring and bland ends up being annoying when you're playing in the VR but doesn't make you wanna pull your hair out when you're in a fight. "Unique" is great in the VR but utterly makes you wanna put a bullet in your brain when you're on the battlefield trying to play the game.
  7. Reavx

This.
  8. HadesR

By one lipped 3 nippled Phoenix disagrees :)
  9. JesNC

The current BASRs are the peak of combat efficiency without being OP IMO. The Hitscan Pro is just that plus being able to score hits blindfolded with one arm tued behind your back. It's literally just that, it's bland, boring and easymode.
    Additionally, it tries to balance this with reduced ROF, which makes it even more horrible for peple with experience in BASRs. It turned into a total noob gun.

I don't need anything more "powerful" or "efficient". OHKs at render range suit me just fine while playing sniper, thank you. I like unique mechanics - the Phoenix turned into my favourite HA launcher. And yes, it's a ton more effective than the "built for efficiency"-lockon tubes, but you need to learn how to use that thing. That's the beauty about "unique" mechanics.
    And I like the VS charge-up mechanics, too. The Lancer is great, and I'll probably get the Shade for my alt. Maybe even the TRAP. The Hitscan Pro? That thing in it's current incarnation can rot in the store for all I care.
    • Up x 1
  10. Bape

and ill just stick with the longshot guess we both have something in common.
  11. treeHamster

And aimbots are boring and "easymode" and yet when given the option of an aimbot or a box of Crayolas, you'd choose the aimbot for a FPS any day of the week.

When will you guys stop acting like "well it's just too easy to use" because guess what, you could get something SIGNIFICANTLY harder to use instead (i.e. Lasher). You gain satisfaction by killing others in this game. When all you do is die to other people because a weapon is utterly useless, it causes a TON of stress. If are a masochist, maybe the crappy weapon is your thing but for the normal people (over 90% of us), stress is BAD.
  12. JesNC

I think you're adressing the wrong kind of people (maybe it's a generation issue?) here, but speak for yourself.

I actually enjoy challenges, I think the Lasher can be tons of fun and I'd take the box of crayons any day. And I find it sad that you think 90% of the playerbase would use an aimbot if they had access to one :(
  13. treeHamster

Yes, yes they would.

You say you want a challenge. A challenge implies that you have a fair chance of winning (even though the odds are stacked against you). The reality is that "unique" means crappy weapon which usually means you have less than a 10% chance of success. After the 5th time of dying in a row, it's no longer a challenge, it's being farmed.
  14. Koldorn

Eh, will have to wait and see what kind of adjustments are done with the next iteration.
    At the moment, there needs to be a few changes.

Opinion dump inbound:

NC: Unreal Tourny lightning gun. I'm sure many people will understand that in the correct hands, this will be devastating. Apt comparison because at it's current velocity; the weapon is essentially hitscan.

VS: Inelegant complexity; without reward. Managing breath and charge at the same time gives this gun a very... difficult learning curve. However I absolutely dread the thought of Toroko getting his hands on one of these.
    Personally I think the charge portion needs to be redesigned. Instead of charge up, make it discharge. Think Mauler from Perfect Dark. Alt fire mode charges if no shots fired, normal mode is semi auto. Done.

TR: I'm getting actual battle rifle vibe off of this thing moreso then sniper. The burst function kind of reminds me of Halo 2/3s BR, but given the environment it's being introduced to; I don't think I can honestly say it will be enough to draw people to it. Especially with the bolt pull attachment on the 'short range' snipers. I can't offer any ideas on what to do with it that would be both attractive and balanced; going to keep thinking on it.
  15. JesNC

If the odds are stacked against someone they don't have a fair chance of success. They actually have a 100%-ODDS chance for success.

And I can only show you the Lasher, the Lancer, the SASR-13, the Shade or the Phoenix as examples for faction unique, challenging (to various degrees) and balanced weapons.

But maybe this is really a generation issue, I'm used to put at least minimal effort in to get what I want. I guess I can't expect the same of any player....
  16. Nephi1im

The weapons you suggested as "balanced" are really just extremely situational weapons that are good (debatable) under certain circumstances (jury is still out on the shade). The shotgun/sniper does not fit into that since it was A) worse than existing sniper rifles and B) worse than existing shotguns. There is no situation in which either half of the gun excelled. Comparing a phoenix or lasher to the original precision pro is really borderline trolling. It isn't just apples and oranges, it's uranium and cotton candy. There is no way to say that in the hands of a skilled user, it would EVER be better or even on par with existing weapons.

If you are implying that you want "something" other than a shotgun as the gimmick, please offer some non-ridiculous suggestions. Everyone seems to be either wanting a 3 shot max killer or whining that they don't have any secondary fire, without naming what that might be.

As to the idea that "back in my day, we walked both ways in the snow... for slingshots.... that shot feathers... and 1% of us were able to kill folks with them!" crap, it requires no more or less skill to snipe than it does to LMG a room of dudes. Quit acting like somehow a better weapon must be easymode.

I'll be waiting a month after this is released to see your 75+% accuracy stats for it since it's so point and click.....
  17. JesNC

Ok, a couple of points:

I never said the first iteration of the BPP was perfect, in fact it was totally bugged and nowhere near balance. But cutting the whole faction unique aspect entirely and simply making it a tier 4 bolt-action is just disappointing.

Actually, I'm thinking along similar likes as Wrel did in his reply to Higby's thread. Bring back the flechette mode, 5 pellets 100 max damage, 400-500 m/s, 0.2-0.5 pellet spread, 1.25 or 1.5 HS modifier.
    Decent up close, decent up to ~30, no more OHK potential than a Commissioner. Add a 700 m/s sniper mode with slightly less damage than the EM4 and you're golden.

Hitscan = easymode. And the "back in the day" comment was coined on that guy preferring aimbots over practice.

In it's current form, you'll be waiting a long time. I'll probably stick to the SAS-R or LA80, I already have a hard time stomaching the EM4's refire rate.

Now let's quit this ad hominem crap. You like the gun, I don't. We both have our reasons.
  18. treeHamster

Your stats say you're at best an average player. My KDR is around 2.25 (maybe 2.5). My score rate is around 300 points per minute.

Heck you only have a 27% accuracy with your Infiltrator. I have a 36% accuracy and I've spent less time, but have a higher score rate in it (167 vs your 144). You have a 37% accuracy with your Bolt Driver while I have a 47% with my XM98.

In other words, I am a better play and in a better position to judge the mechanics of a given BASR and I say that the NC weapon will easily be the best.

On top of it all, guess what, most players in these games care nothing about "challenges" and would rather have an Easy Button that just lets them get free certs.

I'm not having to fight a single noob with an OP weapon, I'm having to fight ALL the noobs with an OP weapon.
  19. Nephi1im

Someone in one of these threads ran the math on it. Travel speed, distance etc. and deduced that the BPP from fire to hit at 300 meters was right around .35 seconds. The longshot takes .45. I don't see how a tenth of a second is what separates reasonable from "hitscan". Having extensive experience with the longshot, I can say that its travel time is by no means close to instant. A tenth of a second isn't going to change that.

As for the ad hominem thing, I am just really tired of the multitude of threads that act like this thing is some giant leap ahead of the longshot. It is better, yes, but I sincerely doubt anyone who can't wreck with the longshot would be able to wreck with the BPP. You're right, I think the shotgun thing is dumb. Slap it on a semi-auto sniper all you want, but adding it to a max range rifle is just silly.

I also am concerned that all this hubub on the forums might make them think about altering it again.... which I really don't want :p
  20. JesNC

Your KDR is 1.91 and not 2+, your best vehicle is an ESF and you have 1k+ kills in most of them - hence the SPM - and you have a whooping 4% more accuracy in your most used sniper rifle compared to my LA80, and 100k score less.

Your stats show ****all.

You really ran out of arguments there, didn't you? Too bad cyberstalking works both ways...