C-4 Nerf Killed light assalts threat on armour. Breaks Class

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Fireflower_Dancer, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Plague Rat

I don't know what problem you guys are having but C4 still has the same killing power it always has. Took out a few tanks with it and even spawned my own MBT and blew it to hell from 100% with the standard 2 bricks just for the sake of repro.

C4 clearly isn't the problem here, it's something else.
    • Up x 1
  2. Pikachu

Because he's sneaky and can only do it in urban combat.
  3. BaronX13

I believe it should only take 2 bricks of C4 to destroy a tank, whether you can infinitely respawn as a Light Assault or not. There are already a multitude of factors that make attempting to C4 a tank a high risk/high reward action. Examples?

1.) Tank moves slightly, your C4 will most likely miss due to drop mechanics, server lag, connection, etc etc, let alone basic skill.
    2.) If the tank has a secondary gunner who isn't medically classified as "mentally ********", you will die 99% of the time.
    3.) Tank has a boatload of health and a giant OHKO cannon strapped to it. Takes one shot to blow a light assault out of the air. Want to argue that its hard to hit a moving light assault with your canon? How hard do you think it is to hit a moving tank with C4?
    4.) Tank has proximity? You're dead and/or going to miss with your throw.
    5.) Light Assault also has to worry about small arms and any enemy infantry in the area.
    6.) Light Assault cannot catch up to a tank even while running (in most situations).
    7.) Light Assault has fall damage when dropping from his/her jump.
    8.) Shall I go on? Etc, Etc, I think you get it.

Pro Tips for Tankers:

1.) Don't stop moving
    2.) Proximity Radar, it works wonders
    3.) Stop lone wolfing it, get a gunner
    4.) Aiding an infantry push is fine, but it is by no means an excuse to flash your rear armor to enemy infantry. It is also not an excuse to put yourself right next to buildings and into cramped spaces just asking for infantry to flank you or drop on you from above.
    5.) Stop sitting right next to towers and spawns, if you do you deserve to blow up just on principle. I mean come on, your main canon can fly farther than 15 meters, so why the heck are you 10 meters away?
    6.) Infantry support next to your tank, and you become invincible (in most cases).

Notes:

1.) If somehow a single light assault is able to sneak up/get the drop on your giant war machine of a tank, and you DON'T shoot them, and your gunner DOESN'T tell you to move or shoot them, then you deserve to go boom. Let's be reasonable here, you have many more ways to kill them, and find them, then they do to kill you.
    2.) Yes TR I know Lockdown is harsh when it comes to C4 fairies...but can I ask how come with Lockdown you are so close one of them can jump on you? Last time I checked, you get increased firing speed, reload speed, and I believe shell velocity. These all aid in long range bombardments...why are you so close? If you lock down close enough to get C4'ed and have no gunner, again you deserve to go boom.
    3.) Doesn't matter how fast Light Assaults spawn, cause C4 doesn't infinitely spawn due to resources, just like tanks. (Acquisition timers are useless if you are a good tanker and you know it...you live for like 15-20 minutes if you are ACTUALLY good.)
    4.) On resources, yes C4 is cheaper in resource cost than tanks, but C4 shares its resource pool with MANY more items, thereby evening out the cost.
    5.) Common sense, you're in a giant death machine, if that Light Assault got that close and surprises you well...that's Planetside 2, if you get the drop on someone, they die. That's the law of the land and any good player knows it.
    6.) I'm pretty sure almost all the tankers out there forget just how LONG the time is after you throw your C4 before you can press that shiny red button. It is akin to a mini eternity while being shot at. Very often you will find yourself dead before you can click that button, even if you are actively mashing on your left mouse button (obviously skill comes into play here).

With these already apparent problems, you also add in the fact that C4 is the most expensive infantry item in the game (last time I checked at least). You should also consider that infantry resource points are also used for more purchase types than any other resource pool (Vehicle Pool: 5 vehicles about ; Infantry Pool: Around 10 types of grenades, 2 types of mines, C4, Medkits, Resto-kits, Maxes). Taking into account those two simple facts one can easily see how using even more than 2 C4 for one tank, along with the cost of skill needed to perform the action, along with the cost of risk of a squishy going for a tank, along with the cost sacrificing other items, along with the true reality that a tank paying the smallest mind to his surroundings will blow the light assault away, etc etc; one can easily see how unbalanced resource wise and common sense wise this is.

Another handy fact, C4 is one of the Light Assault's main roles in combat, the infantry bomber as they say. If killing a tank would take more than 2 C4, and a Light Assault can't even cert into a 3rd brick, then you effectively destroy a very large portion of the class usefulness. That is to say, this is no small portion either, this would equate to taking away 1/3 to 1/2 of the class usefulness depending on one's playstyle (obviously opinionated numbers, so do not pull some citation BS on me please). Try playing your heavy without using your HA shield and/or try playing a medic without your AOE heal ability, chances are you will be able to draw the connection after that.

Last but not least, we talk about how this would impact infantry combat as a whole, let alone just the Light Assault. What I mean to say is, C4 is the ONLY option within this game that infantry has to "Alpha" damage an enemy vehicle without a handful of Heavy Assaults in a perfectly aimed firing line (let's face it, mines are too bugged right now). If you don't know what I mean by "Alpha" damage, it basically means; Alot of damage almost instantly. Short example, rockets hitting a tank one by one is sustained damage throughout a longer period of time, all of those rockets hitting at once and doing all their damage at once would be a form of Alpha damage (or instant strike damage if you will). In this game, C4 is the only viable option infantry and ESPECIALLY special ops squads have of dealing with enemy vehicles in a quick and efficient manner without having to change a whole half a squad to Heavy Assault just for one tank. It allows a smaller but more organized crew to achieve the same kill without having to resort to 6 Heavy Assaults playing rocket tag with a single tank for 5-20 minutes while the tank farms kills (which it can easily do contrary to popular belief). Example, a small squad of 12 soldiers moving on foot to next base, caught out in the rocks they have no terminals to hack or use to change over. Answer? C4 solution. Even in that situation, the infantry is already at a disadvantage, does a tank really need help attacking infantry out in the middle of nowhere, away from any spawns, and with a huge advantage in mobility and armor? Long story short, this whole nerf on C4 will heavily affect any special operations squads, it will moderately affect regular infantry AV explosive actions, and it will really just rob infantry of a solution other than "Try to hit tank with 4-6 rockets without getting killed by the bigger primary and secondary gun on the heavily armored and faster moving tank, even though the tank can retreat at any time to heal". By the way, tank one hit kills infantry, even C4 needs TWO already to kill, so its not even a one hit kill solution. It just feels that way due to the explosives going off at once. Let's try not to rob infantry of their one way to kill a tank before the tank can turn around and wipe out their entire squad.

*Yes, I do believe too many classes have C4 and that only Engineers, Light Assaults, and possibly one other class should have access to it. (Not infiltrators, that would be madness)
    **I believe it should take 2 C4 to kill a tank, and 3 to kill a Sunderer, though I will accept 4 to kill a Sunderer if necessary (only 2 for tanks though).
    ***If they intend to keep this in the game, than Light Assaults should be able to carry more than 2 bricks. In addition, the cost of C4 should also go down to mirror the effect of needing more bricks to destroy an enemy vehicle.
    ****IF THIS IS A BUG AND WAS NOT INTENDED, then I hope to see it fixed soon, I don't mind C4 taking a nerf concerning infantry (though I don't like it), but I do mind it not killing a tank when placed directly on the hull of a vehicle, directional damage or not.
    *****If this is a bug and was not intended, than you can also ignore the above post, and just say that I'm +1 for fixing this ASAP, or changing it back to using 2 bricks to kill tanks.

So...yeah
    • Up x 7
  4. TheBuddha

Agree w BaronX.

Tanks shouldn't be encouraged to camp. Threat of insta-boom by C-4 is a needed deterrent. Besides, LA's should be rewarded for having the balls to take on a g@ddam tank.

No greater feeling than, after a 5 minut tank-stalk, dropping that second brick and realizing that no one sees you!
    • Up x 3
  5. Iridar51

Why complain? They have lightning.
  6. Fireflower_Dancer

READ your Patch notes B4 giving opinions "The below explosives have had their blast damage reduced to match the Nanoweave change
    • NC Bouncer: Max damage reduced from 1225 to 1000
    • VS Proximity Mine: Max damage reduced from 1225 to 1000
    • C-4: Max blast damage range reduced from 2.5 to 2.0 meters"
  7. Fireflower_Dancer

agreed but it takes you 5 minutes :) hehe lol
  8. LownWolfe

Oh ****, 1 nerf and LAs are broken and Infils are the whiny class. Makes sense
    • Up x 1
  9. Xebov

I know of that. If you look at the latest Hotfix youc an see that they might have changed the value far below 2.0 and now hotfixed it back to the value where it should be. You initially made the post about not being able to kill a Tank with 2 C4 and that was clearly a bug that had nothing todo with the changes they wanted to do.
  10. cruczi

I don't really see what the fuss is about, C4 isn't even that important on LA. It's a great way to noob bomb infantry and it's nice to have versus vehicles, sure. But the main point of LA is that it's 100% the fastest class to get from objective to objective in base attacks and defences, and it can do so fairly reliably without getting killed along the way. I don't mean just minimapped objectives like generators, but actual tactical objectives like defending a hilltop or getting in position to spot incoming enemies.

In the hands of a proficient player, the jetpack makes LA more survivable than HA and it can potentially do more damage and get more kills than any other class. Being able to change position fast to get tactical advantage is just that important, and LA has a huge advantage over all other classes in that respect. It doesn't need C4, but I feel the developers wanted to give it some spice because otherwise few people would play it.
    • Up x 2
  11. Stargazer86

I hardly think the LA gets more kills than HA. Yes, the jetpack gives an LA options for maneuverability, but HA trumps it in terms of pure firepower and survivability. I don't believe a jetpack beats the HA shield in that regard. Medic and Engineer squash when it comes to support roles and, heck, even Infiltrators beat it out in that respect due to hacking. I don't think I've ever seen a single squad/platoon commander ever say "Hey, one of you medics go light assault!" in the last year of playing the game.

Yeah, the jetpack is nice, but C4 is what gives LA that bit of punch it sorely needs to feel useful in doing more than just being an annoying pest. Don't get me wrong, I love the jetpack, but until LA is given something to provide a net benefit to a squad, they just have to settle for the synergy they get with C4.
    • Up x 1
  12. iccle

At 2.5 times the resource cost its considerably less 'spammy' than c4.
    • Up x 1
  13. Sandpants

Because armor resources are tough to get, miller TR?
  14. K2k4

Hahaha WTF are you talking about. LA is probably the most nerfed class. There was a thread a while back which went over the nerfs in detail. Found it: https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/la-nerf-list.116293/

This is from months back. There haven't been any buffs since, and in fact the adjustment to the laser sight hip-fire and other weapon adjustments that have occurred are actually adding to this list, though it hasn't been updated.

It's not also even mentioning that when the game first came out, LA were at a huge benefit because of the way infantry rendered most people wouldn't ever see them until they hit ground level and instagibbed them with shotguns. Yeah, remember shotguns?
    • Up x 1
  15. asdfPanda

It seems that after the update I can't kill MAXes effectively either. I swear I'm dropping the charges right at their feet, but the bastards FAIL TO DIE.

Q_Q
  16. Evregade

MAXes in high rank Flak Armor can shrug off C-4 with frightening ease, and frankly any AV or AA MAX should be in Flak armor since their dedicated targets are probably shelling/rocketing back at them.

I run around in Flak 5 now unless I'm using my AI loadout, and versus armor/rocketpodders/liberators it is positively glorious.

The whole C-4 thing seems to be a bug. Sometimes when I pop two on a tank's butt it blows up. Sometimes it doesn't. As far as risk/reward goes I would leave 2 bricks being enough to kill a tank (on the rear armor only). Its not hard to pick the facing you dump your C-4 on if they are being campy douches. It does give tankers added protection from the people who just come flying over a ridgeline and dump bricks on their roof - everyone should be happy.

I've also noted the bug where explosions don't set off explosives anymore. Its rather frustrating, not only from trying to saboteur an enemy sundy, but in trying to clear explosives out of an area, you now have to pick off each one.
  17. Captain Sierra

Ironically enough, I was screwing around with this the other day. C4 as as strong as ever. IT's 2 hits = MBT death/on fire sundy and 4 hits = sundy w/blockade armor on fire
    Even with MAX flak, 2 sticks = death.
    C4 is as lethal as ever. I don't see the problem here.
    1 stick alone still kills ESFs, Flashes (dunno why you''d waste it here lol), Harassers (assuming you can get it on them), and lightnings (I slaughter skyguards).
  18. MajiinBuu

C4 was never nerfed, it still takes 1 to put a tank in critical state, and 2 will destroy it immediately.
  19. ZaphodBeeblebrox

I bomb a lot of tanks, and I can categorically say that C4 *is* bugged at present. Sometimes it still works, but more often than not, it doesn't. Even on stationary tanks, two sticks won't even make it burn, just smoke a bit.
  20. Iridar51

No, there's certainly something fishy going on with C4. I haven't been bombing a lot of tanks lately, but there was this one time when Lightning didn't blew up from two brick of C4.