C-4 Nerf Killed light assalts threat on armour. Breaks Class

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Fireflower_Dancer, Dec 19, 2013.

1. aoyagiaichou

Maybe you could start using actual feature of the class, which is mobility, not packs of C4. Light assaults shouldn't even have access to that as far as I'm concerned.
    • Up x 1
  2. Iridar51

And where does mobility leaves us? Behind enemy lines, among many enemies, that aren't aware of our presence. Wish to bomb the **** out of them comes naturally.

Even carbines, our best long range option, are mediocre past 20m, so we are forced into CQC. Do you know what happens when you try to engage in CQC several enemies at once behind enemy lines? You kill one or two of them, and then you die.

Ofcourse, you can slap a suppressor, and jet around, killing people here and there, but that behavior is mostly limited to tower fights, and usually has next to no impact on the battle at hand.

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  3. aoyagiaichou

When you're "forced" to CQB and you know it, why on earth would you take a carbine instead of an SMG or shotgun? Oh right, you want to be able to shoot someone in the distance when you see them and even that doesn't matter as all you do is (as you said) bomb the hell out of them (i.e. make a few extremely easy kills) and then die.

Yep, there is a difference between our understanding of LA. I don't think it's a bomb-throwing suicide runner. Yes, flanking and killing people "here and there" is what I think LA was originally designed to do. Yes, it won't change the battle too much, but then again, very few things will. But the fact that one lone LA can easily change to flow of battle is surely very appealing to you and other C4 spammers.
  4. Iridar51

You presume insultingly too much, and you did not understand the half of what I said.
    I said "even our best long range option is mediocre at best beyond CQB". Which means that we are forced to CQB situation. I did not say we are forced to use carbines in them. Yes, there are shotguns and SMGs, but they don't help much.
    Shotguns are good in tower fights, but in other places very loud shots and radar marker will give the LA up momentarily.

I never said that C4 bombing always results in death. Maybe it does for you, and other crappy LAs.
    Yes, there is. The difference is that you don't have a clue.
    I am not C4 spammer. I use C4 as a precision tool to destroy enemy MAX crews camping doorways, tanks and sunderers, and I never count on dying in the process. Killing with C4 is easy? That's new. Have you ever even used it?

I don't think even the original devs know what the LA of PS2 is designed to do, because LA's design is flawed, for the reasons I explained, and the C4 is one of the rare tools that we can use to actually do something beyond killing clueless peasants.

PS2 / LA relationship is a ******* joke. The CGI trailer would let one believe that the whole game is based around awesome LA, jetting around the field like a boss. Instead we're stuck with this overnerfed crap no one seem to care about, seeing how they've pushed around LA revamp with absolutely no ideas how to fix the hole they've dug for themselves.

You seem to enjoy playing LA. So do I. I just wish the devs wouldn't be such jerks about this class. And I see no reason why LA, in its current form, should LOSE even more.
    • Up x 4
  5. BeyondNInja

The main changes relevant to taking out tanks were the deploy/trigger time and the inability to detonate C4 after death, albeit the latter was probably fair enough. Together these changes made C4 a lot less reliable and much more likely to end with a LA wasting 200 resources without any result.

The damage nerf really only effected LA's solo-ing sundies, which, while fair enough, did hamper the usefulness of carrying C4.

The changes to resources in general have made it less viable to 'waste' C4 on killing normal infantry and more frustrating when it's a) bugged such as during the xmas event or b) you're killed before you can press detonate, due to the ludicrously slow trigger time and/or lag.

In my experience inside a tank, the biggest problem I've had with being killed by C4 has been a result of lag.
    i.e I reverse away from someone dropping C4 and it kills me while being 6+m away on my screen...
  6. Donaldson Jones

I'd give LA a choice...2 tank mines or 2 AP mines or 1 C4. Medics should have the option for 1 AP mine or 1 C-4. Engies are the "Blow stuff up" class.

I'd give LA's more grenades and different types of grenades..maybe a gas grenade or something. But LA is defined by S.P.E.E.D not C-4.
  7. BigBooty

IMO C-4 makes a lot of sense on their part. It doesn't make much sense on Engi's part though, because Engi's are a support class, LA are a more solo-oriented and support-in-an-indirect-way class.
  8. DerEchteSpatz

If that's true in reality, then where the hell is the speed???

The only thing which makes LA faster than normal infantry is AdrenalinePump which is relatively useless since it blocks your gear for i.e. NanoweaveAmor and its grants you only a 10% Bonus which isn't really recognizable at all.

The jetpack seems to make the LA faster, yes. But in reality as a LA you won't be faster at the target then your fellow footwalking peasants, when you started at the same time.
    Yes, you can leap over walls and stuff, but the jetpack slows your speed when climbing for some 2 or 3 meters height, so you won't get additional speed at all, since that neutralizes your advantage in "direct movement".
    I tried this a lot with my squads but I was rarely faster than them since they are faster on the ground than me in the air jetpacking. The only situation you can be faster at the approach than your squadmates are tower-fights.

The "speedy" aspect of the LA is just a joke!
    Did I mention that the Infiltrator-class will get AP, too?
    Enough said.
  9. aoyagiaichou

I had a lengthy post, but then there was hardware failure...

But it came down to an apology for wrong assumption and to pointing out that you lack consistency in what you say. "I never count on dying in the process." and "You kill one or two of them, and then you die." don't work very well together, unless you for whatever reason completely ignore the fact that there still is still something happening after you make pretty explosions. There are two things that can happen afterwards based on what you said - you quickly die after you (maybe) kill one or two nubs (that would explain why you had to specify "in the process" without specifying what exactly is the process), or you run back to some terminal/sunderer to resupply (both of which count as C4 spamming as far as I'm concerned).
    But the problem is that C4 is simply too versatile, too a bit strong (seriously, when Sunderers (not to mention Lightnings) have to watch out mostly for LAs hovering around throwing down presents, something is wrong), has no indication like grenades have and everyone except the infiltrator can use it.

But the here relevant problem is that basically LA = C4, which you happily confirmed and I hate that, because, yes, I do enjoy playing LA a lot (without C4, as I hate to use things everyone uses and easymode - the two are, of course, very often the same thing).

Oh, and, please, do keep 'arguments' like "The difference is that you don't have a clue". It is something I would expect from a heavy C4 user. Easymode logical fallacy, but if we start throwing those around, nothing good will come out of that. The difference is that you obviously like the fact that LA=C4 while I don't like that (to say the least). I wish they had even more mobility instead (speed, maybe even a short "blink") and some unique weapons or offensive abilities...

And that's all I have to say about that, have a nice day and all that.
  10. Iridar51

I meant if LA tries to use conventional weapons to take on a group of unaware enemies instead of killing most of them at once with C4. Maybe you run to resupply every time you spend your utilities, like an eager dog with a frisby, that's not my style at all.

Your tone is insufferable and your impudent assumptions piss me off to no end. You have trouble understanding what I say even as I lay it out for you. I'm adding you to ignore list. Have fun being there along with the worst humanity has to offer.
  11. DerEchteSpatz

Everyone wants to be helpful and worthy in a team. So do the LA. But do they have to give?
    Carbines, pumpguns, SMGs and C4-bombing runs.
    The first three ones are neat for infantry-fighting. But to be honest, in my oppinion, LAs do not tend to be more effective in Infantry-fights than Heavy Assaults, Infiltrators, Medics or even Engineers.
    In some situations, the Jetpack is nice to have, but most of the time it is not very useful at all.
    If you take away C4, you can take away the LA at all, since in every other task other classes are more effective.
  12. Donaldson Jones

So wait..wait..you are saying that being able to cross rooftops..bypassing terrain and doors and structures in general isn't a speed advantage?

That is like saying aircraft and ground vehicles need to take the same route to an objective.
  13. Iridar51

Speed isn't equal to mobility, dummy. Jump Jets give mobility, not speed.
    Magrider is more mobile than other tanks, but still the slowest one.
  14. Donaldson Jones

Semantics..my point is still valid.
  15. DerEchteSpatz

Again, you won't be faster at the target destination than your squadmates most of the time. You simply can get another entrance point. You are slower while jetpacking than ground-walkers and you have to crouch through a window or you have to walk from the roof to the 1st floor above ground. That slows you down, so your speed-bonus vanishes at all.
    Simply another direction of the entrance. That's the only bonus you get as LA.

There are a few exceptions. In bases where there are walls and towers LA really can be faster in their movement. But there again, only when they want to go on the walls or towers, since they don't have to walk 50 meters to the right entrance.
  16. Sandpants

Yup.

Too many people just keep pulling tiny technical details like they are freaking lawyers.

LA are not in a good position. Get that through your thick skulls.
    • Up x 1
  17. Lakora

The day HA's lose their rocket launcher or need to spend Inf resources on it is the day I'll let you take my C4.

C4 "Spam" = 100 Inf resources PER c4
    Dummy Dumb Launcher = 0 Inf resources PER Rocket.

1 LA need 3 C4 (300 Resources) to kill a Sundy. (No Blockade)
    A heavy... Who am I kidding they can just spam their rockets all day from ammo packs n ruin an entire tank column.

You say LA's can change the battle... You're nuts, a heavy on the other hand can change the battle for free even. :D
    • Up x 3
  18. belthazor3457

It seems to me, many players have developed a profound sense of self-entitlement.

"You should not, within the game mechanics, be allowed to destroy my tank, because my tank is worth more resources, and despite it being crewed by one person, it should therefor require multiple people to kill, because the game should prevent my tank's destruction, regardless of my own negligence and failure to adhere to the teamwork to which I preach."

One would constantly shout "teamwork, teamwork!" then be upset that your lone tank was destroyed because you didn't have a gunner (or at least not a decent one that you knew), or did not bother to get infantry support to help cover you?

Is the hypocrisy not obvious? "Teamwork for everyone when fighting me... but no teamwork needed for me! I have a vehicle, this means the game mechanics should block my death from one person."

Seriously... asking that the game mechanics be deliberately arranged to prevent your death to one opponent no matter how negligent you are?

That is the antithesis of skill-based play.

I've yet to hear someone suggesting that Light Assault C4ing is overpowered ask for C4 / LA stuff to require more skill. No asking for a grenade to be thrown down the hatch of a tank, no asking for C4 to have to be planted on the back to secure a full-health kill + tanks requiring multiple people to crew, driver not having weapons.

Just the expectation that the game mechanics will -block- a death from a single enemy.

Should I be immune to bullets unless shot at by more than one person? I mean, we're all infantry, right? Hey, if I'm an infantry guy and the enemy is an infantry guy, it's not fair if he doesn't need teamwork, right? Or maybe I should be banned for "exploitation" if I go on an infantry killing spree?

When the planetside 2 trailer came out, the impression I got from it, was that battles would be so large, that one person could not possibly carry their team - and that was okay, because you could still do a lot of damage and contribute to a battle in a meaningful way, and a smaller force could win against a larger one with better skill and raw tactics.

And that was a game I wanted to play.

...and now people just want to be entitled to 1-for-1 trading, which does NOT make for a good tactical game - it makes for zerging where the bigger force nearly always wins. And people say "Well that's planetside 2! This ain't battlefield! planetside 2 is all about numbers, which doesn't mean big glorious battles, it just means team of 10 should beat team of 5. Skill and tactics should be blocked aside from 1-for-1 trading - unless it involves my tank, in which case the game should make it 1-for-2 at least!! hat's planetside 2!"

...that is not an excuse. Saying "we iz not battlefield" isn't a rational refutation of a criticism of shoddy mechanics.

I mean, I'm someone who's supported making tanks more difficult to kill. But by more difficult, I mean require more skill to kill - not be given a bubble of "I'm special and should be immune".

...the very idea that someone would ask for immunity from a class within their game mechanics... in a competitive FPS game...

Entitlement mentality gone wild.
    • Up x 1
  19. Lakora

3 manned MBT's. :D Driver would have plenty of time to just go into third person n scan the area once in a while, fixed. No more LA's sneaking up on them. Buut oh, wait that would require teamwork since the driver wouldn't be able to shoot... Mmh... Oops didn't think of that but who cares 3 manned MBT's!