Does anyone even care about MLG

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Raichu, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Meeka

Yeah, it does.

MLG can give a game a bad reputation.

Bad reputation drives away new players.

The atrocious MLG of Planetside 2 is getting more bad press than the positive aspects of Planetside 2 ever could.

That is turning away the types of players that would invest long term in PS2; the casual ones who spend money and play for fun.
    • Up x 5
  2. GSZenith

to quote myself since you know for some reason past 30min edit is something awful...anyway

the word was sanction in the green text between the ( something)
    always forget how to spell it :p

oh and MLG might not tell SoE to do blabllbalba
    but don't even try to deny SoE won't do balbalba cos of MLG. thus MLG will have and influence over PS2

edit: ^ what the guy above said.
  3. MorganM

I'm very interested in MLG. However it seems so esoteric that average, casual, gamers like myself hear about it.. .want to be a part of it... try to seek out out... and are left scratching their head.

I like what I hear about it. I love the ideas of battle islands linking continents with continent locking. Having an MLG instance to host a more structured, competitive, battle.

Wanted to be in on the MLG event at SoE Live for PS2 but couldn't justify flying out there and taking time off work. My wife already rolls her eyes when I'm like "I'm taking PTO to be on the War Report today!"

Watching the War Report is usually a lot of fun, I enjoy it, and I've even been in a couple.

That's as close as I've gotten. I wonder sometimes if it's even a real thing? Or is it just a few elite outfits happen to get in on War Report episode battles and that truly is the extent of MLG in PS2 right now?

Am I missing something or is that all it is right now?
    When can we expect something... more?
  4. Sovereign533

My opinion is a bit conflicted. I might be interested in both joining and watching MLG. BUT it needs to be done with quality. And the way both Prosieben and MLG have handled this are very much lackluster.

My outfit played a friendly match on the test server last week, and with the rules set up between the outfits we tied. With the rules of the caster we lost. However, there were rampant bugs limiting our effectiveness to the point that we couldn't even respawn (map didn't work). We couldn't use the beacons, we didn't know the base lay-outs on the Nexus and a lot more problems. These events should NEVER be done on the test server. And this is in my opinion Prosieben's biggest error.

With MLG it's a different ballgame. Admitting that you favor 1 outfit above all others makes the caster lose all credibility. The lack of communication, the giving intel on the underdog that lost 1 squad to the winning team, the bad camera angles, the missing the action, the focus on himself more then anything else, the complete disregard for the losing team make the MLG scene itself horrendous. And this is also on the test server afaik.

When it comes to SOE, they aren't great either. The tools to spectate are lackluster. There is no server set aside for the MLG scene. There are no real leaderboards in game to see what outfits are doing great. There is no way to do friendly skirmishes between outfits without randoms intervention. So you can't train.
    The most important part is that you can not use a test server that you use for performance and balance testing for your MLG. You also need to give everybody access to the battleground BEFORE they go fight there. The battleground needs to be bug free.

From what I see there are a few different ways they can go from here.
    1. Get a specific MLG server with just the Nexus that every one in an outfit of a certain size get enter and look at the battleground. So they can learn the lay-out and the tactics. Close the server when a battle between outfits is going to start.
    2. Get better tools for spectating, and possibly even join the TS channels to listen in on the communication. (this would require quite a delay between the stuff happening and the streaming)
    3. I'm not someone who likes to call for peoples heads. But the current caster is actively destroying the MLG scene. He is favoring 1 outfit over all others. He ignores the issues the underdogs have. And if what I hear is right, he's a very VERY bad planner. And he might even intentionally keep outfits in the dark on who they are going to fight until the last moment. He needs to be removed from position and replaced. From what I can tell he has lost all credibility.
    4. Starting a match are done using tells or platoon says. This means that the outfits get it at different times. Start time should ALWAYS be announced in a global chat (like the one the GM's use to say that they are online).
    5. Let the community start ladders with outfits and let them host friendly matches between outfits without MLG, Prosieben or SOE involvement.
    6. Maybe even cancel the whole MLG for now until these issues have been fixed.
    • Up x 3
  5. MorganM

You are giving MLG WAAAAAAAAAAY too much credit and gravitas. The average person has no idea MLG even exists. I bring it up to average people all the time at social gatherings. They look at me like I'm from the planet Nerdatron and speaking 31337 code to them. Average, casual, gamers interested in f2p games like PS2, DotA, and LoL still don't even know about MLG, how it relates to a game, what "press" is out there about it, and how it impacts their gaming experience.

Normal people are still interested in boring 'real' games like football, baseball, and college sporting events. They've never heard of eSports and smirk or laugh when you bring them up and explain what it is. I couldn't care less about that crap and frankly more than pissed off my tax money goes to build multi-million dollar stadiums for billionaire pro-team owners and 3rd rate state university teams.
  6. MorganM

You are giving MLG WAAAAAAAAAAY too much credit and gravitas. The average person has no idea MLG even exists. I bring it up to average people all the time at social gatherings. They look at me like I'm from the planet Nerdatron and speaking 31337 code to them. Average, casual, gamers interested in f2p games like PS2, DotA, and LoL still don't even know about MLG, how it relates to a game, what "press" is out there about it, and how it impacts their gaming experience.

Normal people are still interested in boring 'real' games like football, baseball, and college sporting events. They've never heard of eSports and smirk or laugh when you bring them up and explain what it is. I couldn't care less about that crap and frankly more than pissed off my tax money goes to build multi-million dollar stadiums for billionaire pro-team owners and 3rd rate state university teams.
  7. Crayv

I remember what the whole "esport" thing did to WoW PvP a long time ago.

So unless the game was built from the ground up with "competitive gaming" in mind I would prefer they stay away from it.
    • Up x 1
  8. notw2

Nah I see MLG as a joke to be honest. more so On a game like planetside 2. MLG have this rule set where you have to look for players with a high KDR but the thing is In games like planetside 2 and Battlefield KDR means Nothing when you are doing team based things. for instance Ill take my self I ran in a lot and killed my self to take out Sundys and Max suits so is my KD high? NO why? well I died a lot doing things like such.
    I tried to get into NUC my self but turned down due to my KDR and Oh boy I wassnt happy when i found out they were looking for KDR. I was like well FK im sorry ive been playing the game and helping out the squads I am in by going in with tank mines and shooting them to take out parked sundys as well as typing / suicide in the chat instead of redeploying. So i see it as a joke.
    • Up x 4
  9. Yuukikun

Just to rub it in, in an economic point of view, for a country, building a sport stadium is like throwing money out of the windows. They use people's tax to please the construction and professional sports' lobbies. There hasn't been a sports stadium that ever payed itself back with the profits made yet.
    • Up x 1
  10. Prudentia

as i said on page one, Skilled players and competetive players are not the same.
    • Up x 1
  11. MorganM

Logged into MLG's website > PC game section > Planetside 2 > 0 ladders... 0 events

Click on Find a Team... 4 'free agents' listed and no teams.

So.. .again.. how is the average person not somehow linked with these elite outfits supposed to get in on this?
    I'm not in NUC or TIW... how do I participate in MLG in PS2 ?

I've particpated in the War Report battles a couple of times in two different oufits... is that all MLG consists of in PS2 right now?

I'm honestly wondering... is that it? Am I missing something?
  12. Mustarde

This thread again?

cut it out guys, we get it, some of you don't like MLG. congrats and moving on
    • Up x 2
  13. Yuukikun

there's you, and then there's people who can destroy sunderers faster and kill maxes faster without dying :D
  14. Yuukikun

Oh guys i found mustarde! *handshake*
  15. imb0r3d

I think the state of the game at this time can't support a valid MLG competitive base.

From what I know, there's very few outfits that can normally bring on a full platoon anymore. Most outfits struggle to keep active players. Given that and the short notice that MLG usually gives for events, its no wonder that it's not so popular.

I'm not bashing NUC here...but just saying that NUC is able to have a platoon available more than any other outfit as far as I know. When you combine several VS or NC outfits that never play together against a platoon of players who play together all the time....it's obvious who has the advantage.

This game is much different than other games as far as size as an FPS. It's easy to get a 4 on 4, or even a 12 on 12 in other FPS games; but when a game requires 48 on 48 - it's hard to get all those people on at once...especially at MLG times when people have jobs, school, or other things they have to do.

If there will ever be something like Battle Islands and lower amounts of players like a 12 v 12 or 24 v 24 - then I can see people getting more interested in MLG.
  16. WyrdHarper

I'm pretty sure ~15% of my deaths are from my terrible beginning days, and the 1001 random derpy things that can happen when playing this game. The whole lifetime K/D thing is kind of terrible as well, since it's very hard to bring it up if you started out in a bad way. On a normal night I can run anywhere between 1 and 50 KD (with a lot of variation depending on what I'm doing that day), rarely dropping below 1 unless I've hit a run of bad luck or (more commonly) I'm squad or platoon leading in a particularly intense or complicated situation and I'm not getting kills because I'm living in the map screen (not to mention that I pretty much exclusively play engineer).

Yet, you can look at my lifetime and it's 0.59 because I played the first month of this game with ~0.10 KD. I was not a good player when I started out; this was the first competitive FPS I've played in years, but I've worked to get a lot better and am constantly improving. Not to turn this into a K/D thread, of course, but you make a really good point that K/D doesn't necessarily show a player's ability to contribute (A really good example is liberator pilots/harasser drivers: the gunner can get a 100 k/d streak, while the pilot gets a 0 for that session, but they are both essential to that team being effective). The last thing this game needs is more reason not to crew vehicles, or to sit in spawn rooms and farm k/d instead of taking points. Good players might not be influenced by this culture, but randomnublet020389 certainly might be. One really good player dedicated to fighting his way out of the spawn room and retaking points still needs the horde of randomnublets at his back instead of k/d farming if you want to actually win things.
  17. Earthman

I predict this thread will be flooding in edgy pragmatic "it makes money!!!!!1" defenses, which is the same nonsense that makes colleges around the country waste a lot of money propping up their stupid football teams which consistently take a lot more than they give, making even that claim invalid.

Look how much pandering and fussing and resource allocation the MLG debacle has already costed this game. Better spent, you know, trying to fill the niche it originally was advertised to be filling. These MLG people won't be satisfied till there's roughly 1 weapon and roughly one "balanced" map allowed anyway.
  18. Earthman

Goes to show that even to the self-declared "professionals" it's not about good fights, but instead it's about farming people and congratulating yourself.
  19. Earthman

If you really think that all the crap that's already happened regarding MLG's influence in this game was not a bad thing, you're not paying attention and your place up in the clouds must have invigorating air.
  20. Earthman

So, people like you are saying there is zero influence on the rest of this game from the esport people, yet you also say "lol u dont matter b/c Higby likes esports".

So which one is it?