Does anyone even care about MLG

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Raichu, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Raichu

Seems like it's just a waste of time. I mean does anyone really care about it besides NUC. And congrats to NUC on being the best outfit in MLG out of the 2 that compete! Real accomplishment!
    • Up x 10
  2. RHINO_Mk.II

Anybody who did care already joined NUC.
    • Up x 8
  3. HadesR

A few but not as many as SOE believes or want's I would guess ..
    • Up x 1
  4. gigastar

While NUC is certainly trying to be part of the problem (see: War Report 25) the majority of the issues are with the game not being MLG compatible, and horrendous mismanagement by the MLG casters.
    • Up x 5
  5. IamDH

I fail to see why everyone hates MLG.

Everyone gets to play the way they please. Some people wanted serious competition and others just wanted a fun game

MLG does not harm you and you do not harm MLG. I see no reason why they can not co-exist. I highly doubt MLG has any influences on SOE
    • Up x 3
  6. MFP_TK_01

MLG players care about MLG.

I would probably watch more events but I've find it to be redundant to watch somebody play a game that I could just be playing myself.
    • Up x 2
  7. Benton!

"I don't care about MLG, and since I am the only important person playing Planetside 2 I think we should scrap MLG"

Maybe that's not your view, but thats what you sound like unfortunately.
    • Up x 2
  8. Raichu

You must be in NUC.
    • Up x 3
  9. AuxiMoron

Rhino said it all. NUC killed this game's MLG opportunity by being the black hole for players who care about it and want to compete.
    • Up x 2
  10. Phyr

In it's current form, no, not even a little. If they ever get the battle islands done and enough people (200v200) to make it interesting to watch, and competent casters, then probably.
    • Up x 3
  11. Ganelon

Community Clash is more interesting.
    • Up x 2
  12. Sen7rygun

I don't care about MLG at all. Thats not to say that I dislike it, it doesn't affect my game whatsoever. I don't mind watching competitive matches if I feel theres something I can learn from what I'm seeing or its highly entertaining though. If it's just going to be a circle jerk camping match like what's happened so far though I could care less. Standing on a hill with a striker intercepting enemy vehicles isn't exactly high science.
    • Up x 2
  13. NinjaKirby

I'm not sure how long MLG's been with PS2, I've been playing since December and even though I've seen the MLG acronym thrown about around here I've never really cared to look it up and discover what it's all about.

But, I have watched my first War Report recently; naturally it's the one everyone was up in arms about, featuring NUC against a combination of 3 other Outfits on Esamir, then Amerish. I watch a lot of gaming video's on YouTube, but MLG stuff (even PS2 related) will not become one of them. Despite I play a fair bit of PS2, there's still no interest their for me to view.

TL;DR I don't care for MLG, but if it doesn't harm PS2 then let people that are interested have at it.

Edit: This post is in such disarray, my thoughts are all over the place, but fukkit, it's close enough.
  14. Serafine

No, not at all. They shall do what they want, this won't affect me at all.
  15. GSZenith

please check the live twitch view count for any ps2 mlg stuff, normally less than 50, yeah there are all the ppl that care. :rolleyes:

oh and brb gotta check something on ps2 live video, will be back in 20 or so.

edit time:

here we go
    15:10 - 17.20

As you guys know we have been working on building out this competitive gameplay stuff and one of the kinda peaks of that is going to be eventually be working with MLG doing more (sanctum something?) tournament, the way we are developing all of this stuff all of it ties back into the mmo game

aka spending time on MLG360yoloswag420noscopeXXXbalbalbal, sure they say they want to tie in the nexus to the "metagameLoL" but it still will be a tiny little corner of the game that only the "best" outfit will have any influence over (don't deny it if there is only 1 or 2 outfits per server than can beat said other outfit then it won't really matter if bobs 24 friends tries to jump into nexus to help faction whatever)

so yeah to some people that is harm since most of the unwashed peasant won't have any control over it.

oh and
    please can i've whatever you are smoking it must be really good stuff.
    • Up x 4
  16. HadesR

Higby has an esport fetish so what anyone else think's doesn't matter :)
  17. WyrdHarper

One of the cool things about competitive gaming in other games, such as StarCraft, is that when you watch how professionals play, you can learn more about how the game works and pick up things you can incorporate into your own gameplay and style.

Watching 2 hours of people camping warpgates and spawn rooms doesn't quite do that.
  18. Prudentia

i guess one problem is, that there are 2 types of good players:
    the 'normal' skilled one and the MLG pro 'competetive' one

the normal skilled players, likes a challenge, if he gets better at the game, he uses harder weapons. if is still doing good, he has the satisfaction of beeing good. additionally, this makes the game more fun for everyone else, because with a harder weapon, slight mistakes might do greater harm to the player, this leads to an overall more balanced game, where bad players have easy weapons and good players use the hard ones, pretty much everyone is happy.

than we have the MLG player. he likes to be at the top of the leaderbord and pwning noobs his enjoyment. he uses the easiest and cheesiest weapon he can get, because if he doesn't, he is not 'competetive'. so he has a great time killing everyone with his low recoil low bloom weapon, that requires not much skill to use. but he still has skill. and the enemies are dead about 50% more of their time. so they get frustrated, because to get good, they would have to play, but when they play, they are dead, so they can't. so the players just leave, why should they stay? there are many games in the internet. so now the competetive guy has fun, noone else does and he is happy with the situation.

great, isn't it? of course this is all personal opinion, problems with argumenting and english at the same time and the things i learned when i sometimes got into lower skill environments and was the 'normal skilled' guy, a situation that i often used to try out harder weapons (Tribes) or just cheese myself to MVP with the easiest weapon i had (Blacklight retribution)
    • Up x 2
  19. Rockit

Todd Roy is more interesting :eek:
  20. HadesR

They should really have a Shoulder Cam feature rather than the free cam no one seems to know how to control .. Then at least you could see what the player is doing, how he moves, how he finds cover, when he does X or Y ..
    • Up x 2