Revive mechanics

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sock, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Sock

Despite being president of Mattherson's UBGL community, I still support revive nerfs. Find solace in solstice.
  2. CaligoIllioneus

I agree with this definitely. Like it has been said, the current revive mechanic favors the side with more people, as it doesn't matter if for each of your guys 2 enemies died, they were brought back to life in seconds anyways.

This is different from respawning because when they respawn at their Sunderer they are pushed back from their position, while if they are revived they keep rooted wherever they were.
  3. Giggily

Kid you don't know ****, I'm the anime pope of the UBGL community that's like 10x the president.

At least two times today I walked into a room full of medics reviving and healing each other as a MAX. Just like come on man. Come on.
  4. Sock

That's why you knock.

ps come back after you have at least 5k souls harvested with UBGL. That's child's play.
  5. Tristan

He has 5,000 more Solstice kills than you do, fool! You best learn your place!
  6. Giggily

Wow two confirmed non MLG haters who can't accept reality? (wow).
  7. DButcha

In order to have the revive mechanics changed in any way at all, there has to be a massive currency overhaul. If they do any of the stuff mentioned in this thread without changing currency and prices then I am positively fu**ed. I get most of my certs from medic and engie and I know a lot of people do so if you limit those classes you will be screwed trying to get anywhere near 1000 certs. The game would then be absolutely pay to win since none of the free players would have any guns at all. So how about you close this thread, delete it, and clear your history cause if they read this and do "what the players want" they may decide to just leave prices where they are for any number of reasons (laziness, workload, greed, ignorance, don't see a price conflict) and let our wallets pick up the slack.
  8. Cowabunga

Leave them as they are - A fight ends when you bite off the snakes head (Medics). Medics are usefull and keep fights going but they are also very cert heavy classes. Having 4 revive grenades costs a lot of certs/resources. I see no problem here. :)

It makes holding capture point buildings so much more intense, istead of a quick "rush rinse repeat" by the defenders, they need to actually focus on taking out the medics.
  9. Sock

Being such a cert heavy class is part of the problem IMO. 6 months ago we hardly ran into the mass medic zergs that created this issue, but now more and more players have max rank med tools lending to circle jerks of near instant revives.
  10. Tristan

Well I guess it's a good thing you brought it back up to the front page then, huh?
  11. Giggily

Medic isn't really super cert heavy, it's about as cheap or cheaper than HA if you don't want to bring along C4. Med Tool 5 is only about 700 certs total, which is a much easier investment than the HA shields. It's one of the reasons that we actually recommend Medic, along with Engineer, to new outfit members who aren't familiar with the gameplay. It just doesn't have much of an entry barrier compared to other classes, especially LA.

Maxing out an Engineer, with all of its bells and whistles (AV turret), is the most expensive invesment in the game. It's something like 10-20 certs more expensive than doing the same for a MAX. That's about 2k more certs than other infantry classes. LA is only about 1600 certs, HA is only about 2300.

If anything, the reason for recent increased Medic usage has to do with the buff to grenade bandolier.
  12. Sock

Front loaded would probably have been a better choice of words than cert heavy. I'm hardly going to notice the difference in a fight between heavies with nanoweave 3 and resist 2 or LAs with rank 3 jump jets compared to their max rank counterparts, but you can bet I notice the difference when there's a bunch of rank 6 med tool medics running around. And at this point in the game, the vast majority of players have dumped the certs to max it out, making it a much more noticeable problem than it used to be.
  13. Xhoydr

Sounds similar to the Wal-Mart to Super Wal-Mart Conversion.

6 years ago, we had smaller Wal-Marts with hardly any Super Wal-Marts. Then they started building more Super Wal-Marts gradually and eventually they just made every new Wal-Mart the size of the old Super ones.

@Laughing Man(;))

I will echo your statement there. Getting the ranks in your basic medic stuff does not take too long.

@Feet Covers(;))

Something that I would like to point out is that people are coming back to play and are investing in a character/game. Persistent players gives you a regular dose of people to shoot at, which increase in difficulty. What the revive mechanics highlight is the lack of meta-game. They are symptoms of a larger problem.

Could I be correct in saying that the current revive mechanics seem to emphasize the futility of this war? You never truly win, and death is not there to liberate you or your enemies.
  14. Nobalification

I think good idea is you as medic can grab someone who is dead (not affected on MAX) thanks interactive key [E] and you can move only backward. Then you can ressurect him like a boss.
    :D
  15. Tristan

I could see this. I've always thought that the lack of a big difference in armors between male and female characters is an intentional blurring of gender-normative lines.
    • Up x 2
  16. Apis

You never hear,"Cover the res for playername." That's because it happens so fast it doesn't matter. In an organized group you would want 1-2 infantry covering your resurrections. Medic certing should affect the health resurrected (full cert = full health) and a slight bonus to speed. Current state = spam. Not teamwork.

Many of you may dislike my suggestion- but with a slower mechanic your infantry groups will have to work more closely which is actually more fun.
  17. Suroped

Medic should have separate tools for healing and reviving. We can even have ES healing and reviving tools with medic overhaul patch. Just imagine TR medic tool that can lock-on multiple allies and then shoot small healing injections. NC will have Freedom Stick - shotgun that allows you to team kill allies low on health to revive them. And VS get alien suppository pills.
  18. PapaPetro

I weep for the future: Hyper Wal-Marts...
  19. Maleficus04

Charge up alien suppository pills. Can't forget that charge mechanic. Seriously, though... I've certed up 3 different medic characters at this point, so it's pretty safe to say that it's my favorite class. Right ahead of Infiltrator. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the two classes, depending on which one I'm playing at the time. Point being, I definitely don't want to hurt the class a lot, as I want to enjoy playing it. Too many nerfs to the mechanic would be pretty bad for the overall gameplay (as others have mentioned) and we all know how SOE loves to go all in or nothing. That being said... I do agree that something needs to be done.

I think the best idea I've seen so far is to just penalize the person being revived based on how many times they've revived recently; basically, like a squad beacon. To add to that, also like the squad beacon, I think that timer should tie into how much the specific medic has certed into their gun. If this were in place, the medtool could be turned into something in between the current base and maxed versions (think, around 75% health on revive, and the range and speed of somewhere between current ranks 3-5), and otherwise not be affected by certs. The medics that haven't certed much would still be useful for heals and revives, but could only revive each individual person once every 30 seconds or so (stacking up to and capping at 3 minutes, if we want to go with the same 6 rank progression) until they certed to lower the cooldown. That would leave the 30 second timer max on people that have already been revived one on the max rank gun. I think there may also need to be a shorter timer on how long someone's body stays around before it disappears and can't be revived. Hell, that may even help game performance for some.

As a side note, running Advanced Shield Capacitor on a group of 3-6 medics and doing small scale (1-12, 12-24) battles is pretty nice with the current mechanics. Yeah, you miss out on a few extra shots that could be taken with nanoweave, but what does that matter when you can be revived at 100% hp and 100% shield? Because that's exactly how ASC + medtool 6 works now. You're at 100% fighting capacity as soon as you take that revive.
  20. hansgrosse

I can see both sides of the fence here, honestly. On one hand, it can be ridiculous how fast even a single certed medic can revive an entire squad. On the other, in any situation where this has actually become a problem in my experience we were probably going to lose anyway. I can't say that I've ever once thought of this game's revive system as broken, and as things stand, I don't feel that revives need nerfing.

If we ARE going to nerf revive, though, then let's do something cool and not boring as ****. Give infiltrators the ability to booby-trap enemy bodies. This booby trap could be a frag grenade-like explosion that goes off when a medic attempts a revive.

Bam! Reviving is now risky to pull off AND infiltrators have a "tool" ability to give them a little more utility on the battlefield. Two birds with one stone.