Enabling GPU Particles Causes Random CTD

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by BetaGuru, Jul 21, 2013.

1. BetaGuru

It's the principle of the thing. It should work. It doesn't. Figuring out how to fix these problems is the purpose of this forum.

Anyway, progress report: choosing medium had no effect, for better or worse, than "low".

I've noticed that I primarily crash while spawning at a location far from where I started from. If I choose to spawn at a distant base or another continent, I have what seems a small chance of CTD. It's not every time... just some of the time.

No amount of switching out drivers seems to have any effect one way or the other. also, having render distance set to max, having all textures and setting on ultra, I still experience 60FPS or so. My ONLY ISSUE is the CTD, which to me seems like a problem with the code, not the capabilities of my system.
    • Up x 1
  2. Netherlands

The part of the 4GB card is not completely true! I run every thing on max and with a resolution of 1900x1200 and the memory usage of my 2Gb card never gets higher than 1,5 GB (using EVGA precision X to measure). Maybe if you run in a 2560X..... resolution 2GB is not enough.
  3. Netherlands

I wonder if people with a 4gb graphic card and everything on ultra have the out of memory file in the planetside 2 directory.
  4. BetaGuru

I located a notepad file entitled "outofmemory" and the file is mostly a number soup. What am I looking at? How do I make sense of what this thing is telling me, or use it?
  5. Netherlands

Well i don't know how to read it but do you have a GPU with 4Gb of Vram and the out of memory file? Than this outofmemory file is not related to the vram of the GPU because 4GB is more than enough GPU vram!
  6. BetaGuru

My card:

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 580
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1080&SUBSYS_15823842&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 4063 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1503 MB
    Shared Memory: 2559 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Interesting thing I just noticed, is that is says the current mode is 32 bit... shouldn't that be 64? My OS is 64 bit...

Edit: Guess TrueColor 32 bit is what it's talking about, and thats as high as it goes. Oh well. At this point I'm looking for anything that maybe looks outta whack.
  7. fumz

The outofmemory file has nothing to do with your video card; it's system memory that's the problem. Yes, we know: you have more than enough RAM and so this isn't something you should ever see. Unfortunately, this issue is increasing in frequency and there's no solution posted by soe. You have to submit a ticket. Apparently admitting the game has a memory leak is a no no.
  8. BetaGuru

Can we be sure that there being a memory leak is the culprit? It seems odd that it's entirely tied to physx being turned on, with no meaningful difference between it being on Low, Medium, or High? I can play the game for hours and hours with no trouble without particles on. turn them on and suddenly it's a CTD fest.
  9. fumz

These are two distinct issue you're having. Physx is just broken, so for a lot of people (no clue who not everyone) if you enable it you ctd. The second issue has nothing to do with the first. Guys get outofmemory error despite never having physx on and despite having large amounts of ram. You're just as apt to get that error with 4GB's of ram as you are with 16 or even 32GB's. It's very strange.
  10. BetaGuru

Well, I certainly don't think I have any issues other than the ones related to PhysX. I've had no issue whatsoever with PhysX turned off.

It makes me very sad that there is absolute silence from SOE on this. The particle effects look awesome, and my computer can render them without sacrificing FPS. But every so often, CTD... thats gamebreaking.

So I have to run the game on a less optimal graphical setting despite having more than enough system power at my disposal. Come on, SOE. Get your head in the game.
  11. fumz

If you have that file, and you just said that you do, then you have another issue aside from just not being able to play with physx enabled. As I said, there are lots of posts about this problem from guys who've never turned physx on in the first place.
  12. BetaGuru

But I only crash with PhysX turned on so... I'm not sure I care about the other issue. It's certainly not causing any failures.
  13. BakBak95

i dont even use physx and i still crash
  14. JonboyX

I have a 570gtx and yes, I will without fail get a CTD within half an hour when GPU PhsyX is enabled. I've not found a solution, and to be honest, have given up trying really. It doesn't seem to be high up on the developers list of things talked about, so I've greyed it out of my consciousness!

Sorry I can't help, but if I can say, it is a common problem across my outfit, and no - it's not just you.
  15. WookLordz

Same issue here.
  16. user101

OK --- VRAM when measured is an average usage --- I have tried this 100 different ways ---- I do not crash in PhysX or Regular with PhysX off and I can play all day with No Crashes on or off...!

I only Crash with the PS2 setting set to HIGH and I do a full blown CTD .....! The games just vanishes -- If you have a new mother-board with an I5 or I7 4 generation chip (INTEL) you have an added video processor in it (lucky dogs). That is made to help process video and then you might get away with a 2 gb video memory card.

But if you have a I7 1 generation chip processor it does not have this. In any case if you CTD you are running out of VRAM it that's simple.

Page ram will not do this. (Memory Leak) that every one talks about in PS2 is caused by pressing SPAWN when the game is setting up to a new spawn point. I have had this happen 100 times too me. It only happens when a spawn truck closes up or a spawn point is taken over and you don't wait the additional 10 second to spawn at a new point. (yup a bug PS2 should fix) my raptor drives shows this bug up real well. ( and I have verified it) I can reproduce it 100% ---- This is what causes memory leak.....!

Then you crash to desk top with the game still showing on your desk top but stopped. (APP Crash) is what it says most of the time. This is not a real CTD it's an app crash. Big difference between the too.

If you get shot in PhysX and then crash that is a CTD and you ran out of (Video) memory....! Most of the time you don't see this because some Tank or Rocket just shot you and your video memory just over loads before it can put it on your monitor.

The ouch in all this is SOE will tell you this if you bug them long enough. No one wants to admit that there game really requires a 4gb card.

In any case 32 bits is dead and 64bit is the new and 4gb will be the standard going forward for video memory.
  17. user101

Video Frames Page 1 is what you see on your monitor for the most part. But your card is also processing Frames 2,3,4 and 4 is the current new video coming in to be processed. This is where the CTD happens. So you never get to see frame 4 and the max memory can not be measured by a crashed program. (it crashed) it is no more. Only memory that is in use can be measured ( not something that does not run anymore ). Its like a black hole it gobbles up the memory.

This is why Video Cards have to be so fast at processing.....! And why you pay through the nose for a good card. And why you need 1000's of vector processor in a card.
  18. fumz

user101,

One of two things is happening: either you fundamentally do not understand what you're talking about, or you're just making it all up as you go. The only part of this post that's even remotely accurate is the part where you talk about when and how often you crash; everything else is just flat out wrong, sometimes amazingly so.

No. In the screenshot below I've circled in white current vram usage and max vram usage so it will be easier to see. This is how a gpu monitor works. It doesn't take an average, it tells you exactly what you're using. If you don't understand the basics of how performance monitors work, then perhaps it's time to rethink giving advice on forums?

/facepalm... again, no... just no. A cpu's on die graphics chip isn't used by ps2. You either enable it and run the game off it or you enable your dedicated gpu and use that, period. You don't use both at the same time. This is utter nonsense apart from the part about you crashing.

Again, no. I've highlighted for you in red system memory usage to better see what's going on. A memory leak is not caused by an onscreen event. A memory leak is a bug in the code. Simply put, a memory leak occurs when an application mishandles memory allocation. You cannot "fix" it by reducing settings; however, you can mitigate it. This only means that you can put it off for a while, but you cannot stop it. Only sony can fix the leak by fixing their code. There is no other way memory leaks get fixed.

Again, all you have to do is open your eyes and read the values in the screenshot below; it demonstrates that you do not need a 4gb card. It demonstrates that at 1920 with ultra settings, you don't even "need" a 2GB card. 1.5GB is more than sufficient.

The screenshot here is more commonly known as "proof".

[IMG]

I'm not trying to bag on you or anything. I just think if you want to solve your problem you should know that if you're looking at vram size you're looking in the wrong place.
  19. user101

I have been doing video before you were born -- I am one of those guys that has a understanding of real video and how it is mapped in the system. I had a DEC computer before there was even html code.

You're just show what you don't know, go back to real computer hardware school. Not some IT Microsoft tech school.

Screenshots don't mean anything you need a HP hardware analyzer hooked to the video card to debug a problem like this. And It needs to run in real time not some peace of Nvidia Software. Grow up...! 99% of the time its a memory out of bounds problem. Or a pointer in the CPU that points to the wrong spot in the program. By reducing the amount of video you stop the problem.

As far a SOE yes the leak only happens when a double spawn happens because it trys to write two version of two different spawn rooms. And I don't crash because of memory leak.... so long as I don't spawn and only hit the button once I never ever memory leak.
    Ya, SOE has a glitch in the program. If you want to prove it just never use a truck to spawn. Use only rooms.

Slow hard drives don't help in the memory leak problem. In fact slow hard drives promote this problem.

Stay at the base for a couple hours and see if you memory leak I bet you don't. If you memory leak at the base with no spawns then there is a real SOE problem. Go on walk about and try not to get shot.
  20. fumz

If it makes you feel better to pretend you're older than me and more knowledgeable, we can do that, I like make believe too; however, you're still flat out wrong about every point though. If you want to pretend that Microsoft is incorrect is detailing its operating system, we can do that too; still won't make what you said right.

If you want to avert your eyes to the screenshots and ignore the data in them, fine by me. I can't help you with that particular problem.

The leak happens all the time. In fact, in my screenshot you're actually looking at it... but I guess they didn't teach you that at "real hardware school?" I don't play ps2 off my ssd, it's on my spinner. The shot is after 2 hours and you can see usage has already gone up 1GB. Starting the game and going up to an hour of play memory usage is 2.4GB's (paged) and 2.3GB's (process) respectively. I have shots at 3 hours showing upwards of 6.5GB's. If I played longer I would no doubt crash with the same "outofmemory" error everyone else has been seeing.

Maybe it's time for a refresher? I don't know, all I can do is hand you sage advice that was once handed to me: never fall in love with your own theories. What's painfully obvious that you're having a hard time dealing with it being refuted...thoroughly.