Enabling GPU Particles Causes Random CTD

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by BetaGuru, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Baleur

So sad that this still has issues, while it works beautifull in Borderlands 2 without any issues or fps drop what so ever.
    Thanks ReTiCuLe, i'll give those a try. The folks at guru3d usually know wtf they are talking about.
    If it works on my particular setup, is another question.

Will reply back in a day with results. (no point doing so in a few hours, might just luck out with no crashes)
  2. MightQuinn

Yep, sad. Game looks good with some PhysX magic. I get the same crashes though.
  3. BetaGuru

Reticule,

Thanks so much for your feedback. I'll see what I can do about following your directions, and will see if I notice a significant change in my performance. You're a gentleman and a scholar.
  4. Baleur

Nope, still crashes. Old physx version didn't help.
  5. ReTiCuLe

No problem, glad I could be of help.

Another thing I should add. Anything higher than 1.2 Render quality crashed me with GU12 if you have it past the RenderQuality=1.000000 default mark.

Baleur, do you have your GPU set for Physx under the control panel for Nvidia? Also, high performance is checked?

Try setting these two temporarly to see if it still crashes for you Baleur.

EffectsLOD=1
    ParticleLOD=0

I've had crashing before due to the two settings above with Physx enabled.

Could you open Event Viewer by going to Start, type in eventvwr.msc or just EventViewer

On the Left side of event viewer click on Windows Logs then the tab, Application. Now look to the middle It will say in Grey Number of events: like 324 or something.

Now, Scroll down looking under the middle section for a tab labeled "Level" you should see (!) Information a few of them possibly a few (!) in red saying ERROR. We're only concerned with the red ones. Click on one of the Error tabs, perferbly a recent one after a Planetside 2 Crash and report the results back here.

Here's an example of what it will look like below,

Faulting application name: PlanetSide2.exe, version: X.X.X.X, time stamp: 0x51e5e9XX
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18015, time stamp: 0x50b83cXX
    Exception code: 0xc000000X
    Fault offset: 0x0000c41f
    Faulting process id: 0x83c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ce876ebXXXXXXXX
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\PlanetSide2.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: XXXb24e6-f366-11e2-80d5-XXXXXXXX
  6. BetaGuru

Reticule,

I did as you said and switched out the PhysX drivers. No luck. Experienced a random CTD as before. C'est la vie, it must be something else.
  7. BetaGuru

So I'm thinking I'm going to try upping the ante. Maybe having the particles on low is worse than having them on full? We're gonna find out!
  8. Derrik

I bought 780 gtx and installed 320.49 driver, after that i got a lot of ctd. I installed now 326 beta driver and crashes gone it seems, you all should try it.
  9. BetaGuru

I updated the drivers to the beta version you posted above. Experienced the same CTD instability as before.

However, I upped the particle quality to Medium because at this point, why the heck not? Since then, no CTD, but that's nothing to write home about because of their random nature.

I'll give progress reports to see if the problem persists. If it does, up to high. If it continues, I dunno... back to the drawing board. Or maybe I'll bring it to reddit. I'm a little disappointed SOE has remained silent thus far.
  10. Ltsmba

Hey BetaGuru, thanks for creating this thread and checking back on it.

This game is amazing with Physx enabled and it really sucks that us Nvidia users can't enjoy the game due to these random CTD's.

I upgraded from an AMD 6950 to an Nvidia GTX 760 and I immediately started experiencing CTD's from the first couple hours of gameplay.

My crashes range anywhere from 15mins to 1 Hour so that sounds like what you guys are experiencing.

So far it seems like the things to try are:

- update to a beta Nvidia driver or downgrade to an older nvidia driver
    - downgrade to an older Physx driver
    - Try playing in Windowed Fullscreen or Fullscreen if you already were in full screen windowed
    - Change the gpu particle settings from lowest to highest or highest to lowest (although that is not ideal)

I myself Have tried the first & second option with no luck, and I dont want to lower my gpu particle settings because it makes the game less enjoyable, but I am going to try the Windowed Full screen test to see if that helps.

If you end up making a thread on reddit, link us to it so we can see what other nvidia users have to say about it.
  11. BetaGuru

Ltsamba,

It should be noted that all of the things we have tried that you have listed have not worked for me. Others have claimed success with one or two of them, but I have personally not experienced any positive results. Just wanted to temper your expectations.
  12. Nasher

I don't get crashes, but it kills the FPS on my 670. I don't think it has really been improved since the closed beta.
  13. user101

TO MAKE IT WORK....!

Ok guys here is the way it goes -- you need the 326.xx driver for Nvidia if you have a 2gb card you CAN NOT run ULTRA or HIGH you can run some medium or low even if you have a GTX-770 2gb. Your render distance should never exceed 5000 (4200) Your render % should be around 80% not set at 100% then the CTD will stop. If you have a CTD then you hit the memory cards limit and its not your PC that runs out of memory.

To run Ultra or High in PS2 you need a 4 Gb card....!!!!

Now about the Nvidia Drivers -- do not load the 3D stuff ....! Do not load the game console stuff. (if loaded remove them from your PC)

>>>> You MUST and this is a big must....!!!! You have to set the old cards controls to performance in the old console settings. There are several, you have to go through each one. One at a time and read what it says. Then set it. If you don't use it turn it off.

If you use anything else that says QUALITY in the CARD controls PS2 will not work and will CTD on you....!

As soon as you turn on PhysX in PS2 the card uses more video memory.....!

I DO NOT CRASH with CTD's with a GTX-470 2gb even in heavy battles but I do get 9 FPS with max's around me and at terminals. Other wise the game plays great.

If you are running anti-virus software like MSE exclude all of PS2, it will make the game run smother.
  14. fumz

I run 1920 ultra preset shadows low and gpu memory usage is 1366MB.
  15. user101

Yes that's at some point in the game that's not a fixed value. Video memory usage is variable, and depends on what is happening in the game.

If you exceed the max memory the CTD happens.
  16. fumz

No. I'm not talking about usage "at some fixed point in time". I mean that over a several hour session, at the res and settings I specified, that my memory usage has never gone above 1366. Most of the time it's in the 1100 range or lower. I have screens.

You said users "need a 4GB card". I'm just questioning the veracity of that statement. Do you have screenshots of your memory usage approaching 2GB?
  17. user101

I did everything to get the GTX-470 to run as proclaimed by PS2 and only when I went through and changed the console setting to performance did it finally fix the problems and ---> My friend has a GTX-680 2gb that had all the same problems.

He finally set all his setting to LOW in the game to get his card to work. And again the FPS jerks a 9 FPS in spots in PS2 with the GPU enabled with his GTX-680.

Since the only thing that changes is the amount of memory used in the card I suspect that a 4 Gb would be better at PhysX stuff for the simple fact that PhysX requires a lot more memory usage.

Screen shots mean nothing, it is the instantaneous memory usage (number of bullets and bombs) that take up the memory. Processing a explosion is where it will CTD on you (PhysX Enabled).... getting shot by a tank, I have watched that happen numerous times and having a CTD happen. In most cases you don't even see the tank shoot you -- you just CTD.

This mostly applies to PhysX stuff on the card. Although you can get CTD's in the regular video stuff also -- I have that happen on HIGH in PS2 with the GTX-470. Again it always happen in some battle when I have been shot.

PS2 is very CPU intensive you can bottle neck at IO to the video card or you can crash in PS2 due to memory leak.

But a real CTD happen as a complete no error and the game just vanishes from the desk top with no errors. That is a real CTD and its a memory out of bounds problem.
  18. LemonKing

I'm on a 560ti 1GB and I run the game (On Ultra) with no real issues, just been trying to solve the CTD issue which is PhysX Related.
  19. fumz

You said (in big colored font) that you "need" 4GB's of vram. I asked a simple question: is this true? The answer, clearly, despite all the mumbo-jumbo you just wrote, is no.

I didn't mean screenshots of your game, silly; I meant screenshots of your card using vram. I'll demonstrate below.

If a 680 is dropping to 5 fps then there are other problems aside from physx. That card "should" and most of the time "does" crush the game. There are a lot of variables which could account for why some users can run with physx and some can't? I'm not saying I have any clue why this is such an f'ed up issue, again, I just wondered if what you claimed was actually true. In your explanation you admit that it's just speculation; however, this is where screenshots come in, I have to wonder on what basis are you arriving at that conclusion?

I just played for an hour. I sought out the biggest battles I could find. Here's PS2 memory usage; it's a pig for sure. The ps2 process is using 2.3GB's. Despite me having 8GB's of ram it has used 2.4GB's of paged memory. Despite this high usage, my video card has only used a max of 1153MB, and is currently (in the shot) only using 972MB. Again, this is 1920, ultra preset, shadows low, no motion blur.

There's just no way you're playing with lower graphics settings and using more vram. I have 3GB's of vram. ~ two thirds unused.

[IMG]
  20. XRIST0

So just disable it maybe ? is having a few pretty particles float around worth the constant ctd ..

I don't get the fuss honestly .