Enough is Enough Higgles - We need the magrider buff NOW

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BeefJerky, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Revanmug

I'm not sure what you are trying to prove here. One this, isn't strafing. Second, since you are barely moving and exposing the side of the vanguard, there is no chance that anyone will miss a shot.

The magrider is indeed the slowest tank but the Vanguard has the slowest acceleration which is exactly what can throw someone's aim off.
    • Up x 4
  2. SolidSnake

The problem is if they give the Magrider more armor, you'll have a Vanguard that can strafe and use Magburner(?) speed boost. I'm sure the VS would be totally fine with that... but the rest of us wouldn't enjoy being on the receiving end. Once again SOE's faction trait designs bites them on the ***.

Mags can't turn 'cause they don't have a turret so they were given more mobility than other tanks, with the penalty of having less armor. TR has faster RoF/reload while having less armor as well. Vanguards have more armor and a temporary shield making them more durable at the cost of being "freakin huge," and moving like a slumbering turtle.

If you get more armor on the Magrider we better damn well get more mobility or extended shield timer or faster RoF or something, 'cause we'll have the same problem we had at launch when the Magrider was king of all tanks by leaps and bounds.
  3. BeefJerky

1. the vanguard and prower both move Faster than the mag
    2. the mag and prowler both have the SAME armor
    3. No one is asking for more armor for the mag. We're asking for
    -omni directional magburner
    -higher aim angle
    -separate turret
    -higher damage too
  4. Rogueghost

Yes I understand but inorder to get certs faster, I need to buy a couple infantry weapons so I can spend those certs on my magrider.
  5. Izriul

Ahhh yes, the mythical "ADADADAD" which has been mentioned time and time again over numerous things. Where time and time again, no REAL evidence has been given, and time and time again, it's been stated very clearly that this ONLY happens on things with no momentum - I.E, Plain old infantry.

Yet, the magrider is not only the slowest tank, it's also ONE of the slowest vehicles in the game, and it has massive amounts of momentum. In other words, does not ADADADAD.

But do keep blaming your misses on that if it makes you feel better.
  6. Winfield

ITT: VS have decided that having ZOE as their only completely OP toy is not right, so the Mag needs to be thrown into the heavens aswell.

EDIT: You VS have a completely capable tank and the best ES secondary to boot. If you're trying to Beat an AP/Enforcer or AP/Halberd Vanguard closeup when he has his shield off cooldown, you're doing it WRONG.
    • Up x 1
  7. SolidSnake

Ok, I didn't see that anywhere on the OP but I can understand some of your demands. As far as moving faster, what good does that do in a fight? I'd much prefer to be able to strafe like a Mag than have better top speed. You don't drive a tank at full speed firing, unless you wanna miss most of your shots, so I don't see why you need to go faster. If you want that so badly you always have the racer chassis option.

-Don't see a problem with directional magburner, lockons would still lock on so...
    -Higher aim angle, don't see a problem with this either.
    -Separate turret, now what exactly do you mean by this? having the main cannon able to swing around like the Prowler/Van? or are you referring to the secondary gun? If you mean the first, LOL at you. F that. You want strafing AND turret for the main cannon? that wouldn't be OP at all right? the reason you have strafing is because you don't have a turret, don't ask for both or I'll ask for strafing for my Vanguard, how'd you like that?

-Higher damage, not sure here, I've won/lost battles against Magriders on my Van so I don't know if more damage is what you need, since you have lower reload time than a Vanguard. DPS wise Mags are 2nd to TR and ahead of the Van so... you want to take away the TR's only advantage? You can ask the Reds but I think I already know what they'll say.
  8. Maginnis

As with all things, you cannot look at things in a vacuum.

Vanguard can be certed to give improved chances of dodging enemy tank shells. I prefer side armor and rival, to allow me to move in and out over cover while shooting sideways. This setup relies on cover to a degree. It also allows me to keep my armored sides turned toward enemy tanks and harassers which is great.

The downside to it is that my Vanguard is comparatively slow (no racer chassis) and in open terrain it's easier for enemy tanks to lead me as a target. It also means that in some confined spaces (narrow roads) I cannot strafe, and do not have the advantage of certed front armor.

Additionally, when firing a Vanguard main gun sideways, there is increased recoil after each shot which interferes with targeting. I'd highly recommend trying a Vanguard in live server combat. Try strafing and firing sideways at a enemy tank. The truth is, it's not super-easy on flat terrain and if the Van is moving over rough terrain while firing laterally, the non-stabilized cannon combined with recoil and terrain-related gun movement makes aiming a challenge. I'd expect Prowlers have the same issue, although I'm not sure if their AP/Heat cannons have the same magnitude of recoil.

When driving a turreted MBT, there's secondary issue with driving in a direction and aiming in another. Mag drivers give up the ability to rotate around while driving forward, but they also aren't forced to toggle between internal and external views in the same way, since they're generally moving and firing in the same direction, with some left/right drift based on the tank's design.

There's a secondary benefit to the vanguard playstyle. When running 2/2 as a tank driver/gunner, you have to consider the impact that rotating the tank will impact your gunner to a degree. In 1v1 armor engagements, the Saron gunner's firing arc is flat horizontally (for the most part), and is generally the gunner is shooting the same frontal arc. If the main gun is firing on armor, there's a reduced chance of having to lead a target which is moving laterally.

I have minimal time driving PS2 Magriders (but did drive them in PS1), but I have gunned for them on my alt, and it's much easier to gun the secondary on a Mag than a Vanguard. When you consider that the Saron/Enforcer/Halberd is the majority of the AV DPS on a tank-hunter build, this is a significant advantage for 2/2 Mag teams. Finally, the Saron feels better, even post-nerf, vs infantry than the Enforcer, which has as delay between shots (and is still 2 hits to kill) and the Vulcan, which has too much bloom to be useful to snipe as AI.

The bottom line is, in rolling terrain I'd prefer to have a tank which is less impacted and which can position on high ground and "float over" the terrain. On the other hand, if I were to bring a tank inside a base, I'd rather have a tank with the ability to fire laterally while having the ability to move reasonably quickly when a LA decides to come calling. If I wanted to play mobile artillery, I'd prefer to have a Prowler without question.

Regarding Vanguard shield, it's good. It's not a get-out-of-jail-free card. It does seem to drop before the timer when being focus-fired, and others have posted that it has a maximum absorption value. An AP Prowler + Vulcan seems to be able to drop the shield several seconds before it should time-out. Speccing it to higher tiers does not appear to increase the shield's strength - it just reduces the cool-down and increases the duration.

Each tank has cool aspects, but you have to play to their individual strengths and your preference.
  9. Izriul

I'm not going to argue that the Magrider isn't balanced, it is, but one can state just as easily that the prowler is more resistant due to it's DPS.

In reality, both tanks have the same armour and HP's, so they are both equally as fragile.

When I play EvE Online, I run very VERY little resistance on my Maelstrom, yet this isn't a tanking ship, my shear DPS out-put with it keeps it alive and makes it quite hardy. The Magrider has some maneuverability but if you can't hit the largest and slowest MBT with the highest velocity MBT it's not the magrider strafing at a few KPH that's keeping it alive. I've utterly crushed Magriders in my Anchor 4 prowler, thats ...anchored, while the magriders strafing all over, and I don't even have AP rounds.

High DPS = Dead tank. Dead tank can't shoot back, thus, prowler isn't taking any more damage.
  10. Alarox

I'm getting tired of responding to this thread (since it has essentially been made 4 times over the past week) but I'll oblige the OP one more time.

Magriders excel at three things:

1.) Long range tank duels

This is because they can always have their front armor forward, protect their rear, strafe unpredictably in 8 directions, have turret stabilization, while other tanks must expose their sides while strafing predictably and suffer a lack of turret stabilization.

2.) Medium/close range mobility fights

Turret stabilization, once again. Use a Vanguard accurately over rough terrain while moving, then do the same in a Magrider. Being able to easy traverse terrain while keeping your front to the enemy is also a boon.

3.) Ambush/flanking tactics

They're the most silent, can traverse terrain the easiest, and can easily keep their front exposed while circling.

-----------------------

Buffs the Magrider needs:

1.) More projectile velocity for long-range

2.) Magburner should work in any direction so it can be used without exposing one's rear to the enemy.

As for movement speed, it should be obvious how moving quickly and consistently in 1/8 directions easily is overpowered, hence why the Magrider is slow and smooth.

/thread
    • Up x 1
  11. InMedeasRage

The Magrider is a lightning that can strafe, that analogy should stand-alone in terms of arguing for a Magrider tuning pass.

We can dodge and aim if there aren't any minor obstacles like small rocks. divots, or trees. We have fantastic aim so long as there's no minor pebbles or divots in the road that catch one of the side wings and throw the gun 30 degrees to the side. We can catch harassers and sunderers with the boost but we can't really get out of dodge if we're down to half health or less, presenting rear armor in those cases isn't feasible.

The best fix I can think of is a major, gigantic velocity improvement. Lower the damage on all rounds by 10-20%, double the velocity on the HEAT, increase the HE round velocity by 75%, and increase the AT round velocity by 150%. At the same time, restrict the angle the gun can raise vertically upwards by 10 degrees or more to limit AA effectiveness with the new increased velocity.

What would be gravy on top of that is a longer duration Magburn that is directional with half as much of a speed boost as we currently have. This would enable for more escaping from danger, about the same amount of catching fleeing stuff (but with more time for the target to escape), and better maneuverability at crucial moments... the last of which kind of being our faction ability. Not speed, which is what the magburner currently gives us.
  12. BeefJerky

So is anyone going to take me up on my offer of 1000 certs? I have yet to see one serious reply
  13. Bill Hicks

MBT vs MBT ? You mean a stationary magrider that is trying to fight another tank? thats like trying to snipe with a hacksaw max.

Magrider excels at hit and run. Ive seen so many magrider destroy vehicles because it can get in good spots quickly.

Mags doesnt need a buff. not by a long shot.
    • Up x 2
  14. BeefJerky

So the words "mbt vs mbt" = stationary magrider trying to kill a strafing tank? Can I have some of whatever you're smoking please?

If you actually think mags don't need a buff why don't you actually try the shoe on the other foot and see how it feels? Drive one around today and actually go try to kill Tankers who have BRs that are equal or higher than your mains BR
  15. Messaiga

Lol I'll do it, I'll just need some certs so I can actually have access to the best of the Magrider's arsenal. I kinda wish I had a VS character to test this with, but nobody goes on the test server and I don't have enough time to grind 3000+ certs on a VS alt.
  16. eldarfalcongravtank

i am primarily a magrider tanker in this game, and i must tell you a magrider is not supposed to take on enemy tanks one-on-one. it's a longrange sniping tank (especially with a saron gunner) and should flank enemy vehicles and keep a safe distance to them. a magrider simply does not have enough armor and firepower to compete with other heavy tanks in closequarters but makes up for that with its ability to strafe/dodge shots.

in my view, there's NO need to change tank-versus-tank balance right now. it's close to perfect
    • Up x 1
  17. BeefJerky

except the stats show the mag is severely under performing in tank vs tank battles

A major difference - 10% to be exact.
  18. Phazaar

So the Magrider is only balanced when you can kill 5 similarly experienced or more experienced players in a row without dying? Sounds a little GU01 to me...

Would you please do us all a favour and switch your avatar back to something of VS nature? You're not fooling anyone.
    • Up x 2
  19. Joram

Sorry but this is bs, sniper tank with the lowest damage per reload, lowest projectile velocity and most bullet drop? no, stop with that, talk about abusing the high mobility or whatever you want but the magrider is not even close to be a sniper, thats the role of the anchored prowler, even a AP vanguard is better at sniping targets.
    • Up x 1
  20. Ganelon

It's active ability is the weakest because it has the passive ability of being able to strafe.

OP as ****.
    • Up x 2