SOE are you noticing that the VAST majority don't want dome shields?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Exoz, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Exoz

I was never a supporter of the lattice system, I downright hate it, and it has made a lot of people that I know quit playing the game, FACT, and when I mean a lot I mean a lot, and has also taken quite a bit of fun of playing on Indar for me as well. I lead a big outfit on Ceres EU and I can tell you that me and my outfit do not support the lattice.

Basically anything that restricts choices and gameplay, we are against, and this is just another one of those things, narrowing the game down more and more.

My trip to BR100 has been playing a game that was completely different from what it is today, and I'm afraid for the game's future but hell what can you do, if the devs want to push stuff down ppl's throats, they will, regardless of how many players they lose.

But one day they might find themselves out of a job because there's not enough players still playing and giving money to a failing game, so you might want to think about the consequences of your actions SOE, developing a game that's supposed to be about servers booming of people won't be so cool when you have barely just a few hundred people playing during prime time in the future.
    • Up x 3
  2. PWGuy93

To me, Dome Shields have their place and yet there could be alterations to make game play more interesting.
    • If someone air drops on one, the shield should electrically kill them, no delay, just dead.
    • They should have variable weak points where some class with some skill can penetrate small sections - already have this type of option for ground vehicles and shields if points are spent, why not for infantry too?
    • Opposing faction should have some class with some skill to correct the weak spots. More activities for players
    • Dome shields might be more interesting if they can be user expanded or contracted. Stretch the shield out to push off invaders but at a cost, the overall shield weakens, some air damage can penetrate. It becomes a strategy decision.
    Just saying Dome Shields have their place and have room for alterations. If they didn't exist it would mean air superiority always wins and that's just not fun for the other sides.
    • Up x 1
  3. Eclipson

I like dome sheilds. I've always liked dogfighting, and now I won't have to worry about flak and lock-ons as much becuase of the dome sheilds. So I like it.
  4. [HH]Mered4

What?

Welcome to combined arms warfare. If you don't own the air, you WILL lose the base, sooner or later. Get AA or some friendly pilots to kill the enemy aircraft. Otherwise, stop whining about freaking air superiority being so important. Thats the way its SUPPOSED to be.

Air is also the reason I prefer to be a jack-of-all-trades: I have a kitted out tank, harasser, and mossie. I have my infantry classes well certed into (except for Medic and MAX) so I can use them in any situation. If I am attacked by enemy air, I pull a mossie or grab a turret. If an armor column comes, I pull my tank. If I want to have some fun, I pull my harasser. :eek:

of course not owning the air isn't fun for you! YOU ARE LOSING. Though I could argue you can have fun regardless, but some folks just don't get that concept (no offense).
    • Up x 1
  5. Plague Rat

I like the dome shields as well. I've been in far too many situations where a force relying heavily on vehicles and aircraft reduces every fight to bombarding a spawnroom to kill anything that so much as touches the shields.

You can't really assume a majority opinion based on things like reddit and forums where one of the fundamental reasons for posting is to complain about something. The perspective it offers is too skewed. The thing is, people who agree with a proposal, go with the mainstream, or acknowledge the point of authority don't gather around to sing their praises, they mere nod and contine on their way, contently playing the game, buying the product, and remaining silent because there's no call for an argument to be made in favor of an intended change.

People without complaints are silent, while people with them are on a soap box.
  6. Pantong

To be honest, setting up spawn domes over bases did not take much time to do (15-30 min a base), and its was a test. Now, if they leave it in the game, its quite sad that they did not put more effort into something that they were going to push on us.

I like the idea of some extra cover from air, i dont have problems with air killing me, i just step out of the way. But i wish they did it in the form of large or massive indoor environments.
  7. PWGuy93

I see passion in your post.

I suggested a few variations and made a point about how without shields it changes the playstyle to one of air domination on objectives that currently aren't. There's no whining involved, simply pointing out that currently Dome Shields remove the air element, without them it changes the entire objective. Is that your point, that all objectives should allow air combat? If so, simply state it.

Dome Shield or no Dome Shield, we all have to adjust to what the devs want for us.
  8. [HH]Mered4

Not necessarily. I do want air combat to be involved, but only to a certain point. You have to be capable in all areas to succeed in PS2, in my opinion, not just infantry combat, but also not just Air or tank combat.

I would favor PHYSICALLY enclosed base layouts, such as underground or actual buildings. Like in PS1. But not this horrible patch job. God no.
    • Up x 1
  9. Regpuppy

Judging by by the mixed posts in here. Public opinion is more mixed than the OP thinks. Especially since a lot of people against aren't aware of how it's suppose to work.
  10. PWGuy93

Thank you for your response and comments. That helps clarify your position and statements.
  11. [HH]Mered4

Yeah. Unfortunately we cannot stage a coup.

WAIT. We could all take an hour out of our day after a horrendous GU to pound the crown with tank shells on our respective servers.
    Try and overload all the servers on purpose to convince the devs that we don't like the game direction.

Always a pleasure :D
    • Up x 1
  12. BluescalesNZ

I absolutely hate rocketpodders, and take perverse glee in ripping them apart with my Skyguard. I get annoyed when my infantry battle gets ruined because the base just turns into one large explosion due to Libs and ESFs.

But this idea is awful, it's a lazy quick-fix for an issue that's plagued players for as long as I can remember. What we need isn't magical wundershields, what we need to is for Higby and his team to sit down and take a good hard look at base design and layout, to better facilitate defense while ensuring air can still make a difference in the fight.
    • Up x 3
  13. Seron

The dome shields are not even going far enough, some zones really need a strict infantry-only thing, similar like the biolabs. Keep vehicles/aircrafts out of interiors of bases and let them fight eachother on the open ground. counts double for harrasers :)
  14. RobotNinja

I know right?! It's tots the lame! I want to keep being able to lolpod and tankspam spawnrooms into oblivion, instagibbing anyone who sticks a toe outside their shield or even gets close enough to their shield door to get killed by splash damage. That's the natural order of things. Why does SOE want to change that?!
    • Up x 1
  15. bodmans

In test They were Able to shoot outside...

How is it neccesary to have played PS1 in order to have an opinion about the development of PS2?
    I know a lot of you PS1 players actually want PS2 to become PS1.5(aka PS1 with better graphics) and the only thing thats holding you back is the PS2 players.
    Did i mention PS2 is a different game, and that you have to deal with it?

Well Then, how are They supposed to work?
  16. Alarox

Speak for yourself OP. There are thousands of players that play this game.

Personally, I think this is a great addition so long as the domes will have shield generators. I think this is great for both aircraft and infantry. Yes, I mean BOTH even if only infantry can shoot at the aircraft.

The problem with A2G/G2A balance has been simple. If you have AA, air becomes useless. If you don't have AA, air kills everything. There isn't often an in-between but the changes to bursters and the supposed changes to lock-ons are a step in the right direction, and so are dome shields.

These changes mean AA is more suppression/deterrent, and it also means that infantry aren't always going to need AA at the same time.

Both of the above mean less stress for both sides, and it means that it's not one of two extremes, one being no enemy air and one being air farming infantry.
    • Up x 1
  17. Alarox

I think having air should be a major factor, but because of the nature of Planetside 2 air I don't think they should affect every battle as much as infantry. I also don't think it should be "he who has air, farms the world". But I also don't want it to be where air has no influence on battles. As it is now, it is usually one of the two, and that's my problem. I'd like to see a middle-ground that can potentially change into one of those two extremes.

Air has a major barrier to entry unlike ground vehicles or infantry. At least on Waterson, air power is also usually completely and utterly dominated by one faction and I'm sure this is the case on another.

You'd also need to normalize AA across the factions. So no ZOE/Burster MAX and Striker can't be better than AA dedicated launchers of other factions. This is one of the few cases where you can say "this faction is objectively better at all of X" and in this case it is AA.
  18. Regpuppy

Exactly my point. The voices on these forums are such a small and jaded portion of the community it's not even funny. Even then, the fact that even in this topic there's decent support and good arguments for the dome shields means that not even the "vast majority" of forumside doesn't agree that dome shields are bad. The ones who disagree are just very noisy.

There's a lot of possible good if these shields are done right. For both vehicles and infantry. This is a way for large indoor areas to make a return in some form from the first game and there's a possibility for vehicles to be buffed once the new base layouts are added to the game, since infantry won't be fodder for stronger vehicles like in beta. Vehicles will end up being an essential part of securing the outter perimeter of bases and allowing an attacking force to keep their sunders placed. Would also mean a stronger role in this for Gals since they will be able to hotdrop infantry through the dome shield. Giving an alternative for a quick boost of reinforcements.

From what the devs themselves said, which is subject to change. They will allow air vehicles and infantry to freely clip through (may change if air finds a way to abuse this for invulnerable farming) and it'll block fire in both directions. Flak, explosives, and small arms. All not allowed to pass through it.

They also mentioned that this likely won't be implemented for all bases. There'll be some bases where a stronger air presence will likely still dominate and there'll probably be bases where tanks dominate more. It's hard to tell when I've only seen a half dozen of the new base layouts so far that focused on the dome shields and high walls.
  19. Mastachief

i want dome shields
    • Up x 1
  20. Sledgecrushr

I like the dome shields too. Keep up the good work devs.