Infiltrators versus Vehicles

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Damianamaru, Dec 6, 2012.

1. illgot

how about hacking vehicles to make their guns fire slower and move slower.

Unoccupied vehicles hack faster since we do not have to be careful, occupied could take 30 seconds.
  2. {joer

One of the most funny moments I had playing PS1 was watching our sunderer drive off after being hacked by an infil and everyone was just standing around confused. Empty vehicle hacking should most definitely be in.
    • Up x 1
  3. Xocolatl

Maybe give INF and EMP mine that can be set to wreck vehicles? I think that should be fair. You still have to sneak up to the said vehicles, and that's pretty damn hard to do as an INF.
  4. Damianamaru

5. Damianamaru

6. aRtFuL

And that's exactly why PS1 was not popular and PS2 is.

People generally don't like to play "Infitrators Online" that was of PS1 because other classes was comparatively useless.

I agree with hacking unoccupied vehicles though. Totally.
  7. GraphicJ

I like that idea. Ha ha imagine the epic trolling?
  8. InducedApathy

If they allow infs to hack vehicles I'd like to see engis revert hacks and disable vehicles as well. I wouldn't mind seeing IR added to turrets for engis and even automated IR ones :).
  9. Helwyr

You didn't play the original Planetside did you... Because no one who really played the game would make that statement.
  10. Soulfiend

Get rid of generators, replace them with terminals that have to be hacked to drop shields and would take another infil to unhack (maybe certain bases the new interlinks maybe?) would love to see hackable doors back, just imagine a biolab fight were max crashes fail cos they can't get in doors and can be picked off well they wait for an infil to hack doors(or noob to walk by door and open it.) that would also stop having to clear up all the light assaults that love to hang around in trees until after a hack goes through and try and flip all the points and wasting your time well you hunt them down.

Maybe have hackable doors on the small outposts to stop the ESF pilots flying around randomly capping outposts with no action unless they were infils ofc then they have to trade off the risk off losing their vehicles going to change out to repair them or waiting for repairs.

I would love an EMP mine that disables a vehicle for a short time so you can escape or maybe just blinds the driver can still fire and drive blind but loses ability to see where you have gone/where they are going would go for a mine so you would actually have to get them to hit it well chasing you not just throw a grenade and run
  11. Dcrd

Why's all that "guns move slower", "disabled for 30 seconds", etc. "Effective when working with HA. Yeah I'll totally take my personal HA to behind the enemy lines with me. Like I have one, like I need to count on his skill to be sneaky enough for this.

I don't want to team up with random people, they're r-tarded. I want to, and should be able to destoy vehicles alone. With no need of random people's help. I can do it as a HA, as a LA, as an Engineer, and maybe as a medic (I don't play one at all), why am I handicapped in this regard as an infiltrator? Uber stealth or what?

If a tank driver let infantry come close to place c4 at his tank - he deserves to get his tank destroyed. And with the same speed as hacking terminals it will be more then just "come close and place C4s", you'll need to stay there for a really long time, and survive that. It will be highly situational already, and will be nearly impossible to pull off unless your victim's IQ is lower then his *****' length.

Giving infils are c4 would be a good thing, tho it would be better to see something more class specific.

Just a quick example - recon tool replacement or attachment which will let it shoot a projectile which, once attached to a vehicle or an aircraft, will cripple it's movement, reload, and turret (guns) turn speed, as well as dealing damage over time which can be cancelled by an engineer repair tool applied for some time. This way you can make people actually get out of vehicles and kill them, or let them lose their vehicle. But even then you'll get no exp (and satisfaction) for destroying a vehicle.
    • Up x 1
  12. OldMaster80

Infiltrators are not meant to be an anti-tank class. When tanks are inbound just hide and run.
    Explosive would make sense, but there's already a huge C4 spam today so I say no: it's already frustrating enough to see LA flying and throwing C4 and landmines from the sky, having invisible people nuking vehicles would be too much. It would be ok if only a few classes could use it but as it is right now it would just make things more messy.

Hacking is not a solution imho. How many times does it happen that you find an empty battle tank? If you want to stop tanks you can't just cross your fingers and hope the driver will let the vehicles and give you the time to do the trick. Moreover remember the Hunter cloaking just last 10-12 seconds, not enough to run across the battlefiled, hide behind a vehicle and hack it. Sounds like an insanely difficult thing to do and you wouldn't achieve anything.
    Last but not least, last patch removed the option to deconstruct vehicles: if you find a Sunderer you can hack it but not disintegrate it, so every single Infiltrator of the game could revert it back to the other faction.
    Hacking like we had in PS1 could be a nice feature to make the enemy feel dumb, but it would not be a good anti-vehicle strategy.

Solution imho is EMP grenades. We have them, they were effective in Planetside 1, but no one knows exactly why they don't affect vehicles in PS2. They could slow down the vehicles, slow or disable weapons, invert commands, disable modules and so on.... We make the vehicle weaker and cause panic to the driver, friends deliver the final blow with the proper weapons. It sounds very infiltresque and it's unique ability we only could have.
  13. Vaphell

= gimped xp gain because you don't have access to juicy xp pinatas unless you only play where conveniently placed av turrets are. Besides assuming the class is about sabotage, disabling/destroying valuable and/or dangerous targets should be possible. The act itself, whatever that might be, should be backed by quantifiable rewards.
    i agree C4 would be too much, if cloaked mine droppers bumrushing sunderer can be a problem, with C4 it would get ridiculous.
    I'd see something like a timebomb that has to be attached to vehicle by hand and can be disabled. In case there is nobody to help, it would force the crew out giving an opportunity to kill them.

Such things would be neat if implemented either way. If they are incredibly situational they won't get overused and most infs would probably forget about the option even if opportunity stared them in the face. Hell, most of the time i don't remember that i have frag grenades, i use them *that* often. Players who improvise on the spot would get an upper hand though and some epic stories would be born.

i 'demand' fat xp for that because seeing the reward structure in the game you will get nothing for your efforts except satisfaction, maybe (no dmg=you suck).
    • Up x 1
  14. Astraka

Vehicle hacking should be able to be utilized on occupied vehicles as well as unoccupied. It is a simple and elegant solution that would require a lot of skill & no small amount of luck to pull off reliably. If I sneak behind a group of tanks mindlessly shelling TI Alloys or the Crown, it should be trivial to strip the driver of his vehicle if he isn't paying attention to his surroundings. A lack of situational awareness deserves to be punished. Even a moving vehicle could be preyed upon if the driver was foolish or unprepared by getting on top of it.

Hacking the vehicle could take any number of seconds to accomplish: long enough so that it is possible to thwart but short enough so that it can actually happen. It would be kept in check by the Infiltrator's need to be visible & relatively defenseless during the hack.

I understand the reluctance of putting yet another means to combat vehicles in a game that is already saturated with a number of anti-vehicle ordinance, but the fact of the matter is that having a class utterly unable to reliably act on vehicles in game where they play such an important role is asinine.
  15. Crewell

Instead of hacking vehicles, allow Infiltrators the ability to use tank mines in their loadout. It already fits in with the class and the a ility to use AP mines. It would be a very easy addition and already balanced. By that I mean you would have to choose between AP, AV, or healing.

Infiltrators being the only class unable to deal with vehicles is a big reason I went from it being my most played class to least over the last couple weeks. Also it's why platoon leaders hate having more than a couple (for turret hacking) in the platoon.
  16. Get2dachoppa

Oh, but Medics are meant to be anti-tank? Hell, even they have C4! No one plays this game to hide and run when the enemy shows up.

Infiltrators don't need to be anti-tank but we need SOMETHING to do against vehicles other than find a nearby terminal and switch to a different class.
    • Up x 1
  17. evansra

Hacking vehicles would be good, might have issues with it working on emipre specific vehicles tho and with camo ect...

I think a replacment for the recon tool that lets you shoot a short range emp dart that scrambles a vehicles view for a few seconsd could be cool, would also help in organised teams as the infil could blind the tank while the engi/HA pop out and kill it without fear of being fired at.
  18. OldMaster80

You're right. Imho the only classes that should have C4 should be Infiltrators and Engineers, but designed a game where the only class that cannot destroy targets is that class that's meant to be the saboteur...

Imho we need a new EMP / microwave weapon to temporarily disable vehicles.
  19. m44v

infiltrator against vehicles? dunno but you can ride magriders I guess.
    [IMG]
  20. Ronin Oni

Pffffft

too bad so sad (no, not really sad)

Oh, and how about... I dunno... teaming up with an Outfit??

Crazy... I know.