Engineers should be able to revert hacked turrets

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Dusty El Lion, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Frosty The Pyro

Eh the Engineer class are obviouslys ME's, hacking is EE ****, fully out of our engineers disapline.

On a personal not, I can build a computer, I can repair and replace hardware like a champ, but I sure as hell can't program one.

Besides I have an underbarel grenade launcher and a ammo pack, I can destroy any hacked turret I come across and then repair it. That is 250 xp (pre modifier), a full cert, right there (100 for turret kill, 150 for repair), the infiltrator only got 25.
  2. Dusty El Lion

I'm pretty sure he'd be technically versed enough to fix the targeting and security system, considering he's able to return a pile of rubble back into a functioning machine.
  3. Keiichi25

I play an engineer... Personally, no... Hacking is for the Infiltrator and again, there is no timer to switch between the classes. You are equally screwed being an engineer or an infiltrator when trying to deal with something. While you could argue an engineer could 'rewire' something, again, switch to an infiltrator or blow it up and repair it.
  4. The King

lol
    Dude, seriously?
    You're complaining that an infiltrator used his skill to hack terminals and you want to unhack it?
    You're an engineer, not a hack expert.

It's not even remotely a problem. You not liking it is a GOOD thing. That's why they are doing it. To make you cry on the forums.
    They're not trolling either, they're just doing it to help their faction at a later time, put you out of the "bigger" battle. Or just to find a little infantry fight.

The hacked terminals and all should be hacked until it is unhacked. That's how it will always be. It's not going to change as it is unreasonable for it to unhack itself. If you want it unhacked, go hack it back.

But reading this thread is just too funny. Raging over hacked stuff.

He doesn't know much about it, he is using a nanogun to do his work.
  5. WycliffSlim

Well, considering the grunts in this game aren't even intelligent enough to switch scopes and attachments from one gun to another I would have to question that assessment... Seriously, are we discussing whether an imaginary person in an imaginary world made up of a collection of 1's and 0's would be "intelligent" enough to rewire an imaginary turret or and imaginary station that can make imaginary people appear out of mid-air? We're not playing an RPG, classes don't have an INT attribute :p
  6. Stormlight666

Clearly a non-engineer that doesn't understand that most engineers repairing things are carrying tank mines or claymores/betty's to protect generators.
  7. Stormlight666

Well this brings up a point i've always had, that the infiltrator HACK shouldn't be permanent. It should only last 5-10 minutes unless base ownership changes - give it a timer like vehicles have.
  8. {joer

When I play an engineer I find its easy to hack back a turret.

What I do is go to the nearest terminal. If that terminal was hacked too, I'll kill it and repair it. Then I'll switch into the infiltrator class and hack all the turrets back. Then I'll go back to the terminal and switch back to engineer.

TADA!
    • Up x 2
  9. Zinus

Infs have already so little to do when defending a base that giving this to the engy would remove the need for them even more (as if there was any to begin with ... but meh)

With the current base layout and game state i would say no. However I don't see why it wouldn't be possible in some future where (HOPEFULLY) infiltrators have more stuff to do so splitting this between them and engy wouldn't hurt either class badly.
  10. The King

Well, I said that it should be permanent until someone hacks it back or takes it back over.
    It's going to stay that way anyways as it is really a non-issue. As many engineers know, they can take it back whenever they want. And it takes no effort and very little time to do.

Also, the infiltrators stop gaining XP after just a few hacks. They barely have much to do. Taking away their hack in 5-10 minutes is just lame.

What this engineer said. Or is it,, infiltrator? lol
    You are what you want to be.
  11. NUKABAZOOKA

This is absolutely ridiculous. Infiltrators have enough problems as it is. You don't need to give one of the most commonly played classes another advantage over the least.
    I did not spend 681 certs into getting Hacking Rank 5 to have some idiot come along and revert an excruciatingly nerve-wracking ability I do while completely exposed behind enemy lines.
    • Up x 1
  12. Stormlight666

Only works when you're NOT in combat and time is of the essence.
  13. The King

While in combat, I can do what I want as if, I was not in combat.

If I want that terminal back, I can get it back with ease. Even if there are a lot of people around fighting. Unless, of course, there is 5x more of them than there are of us. Then, why would I care to have a terminal hacked? However, I can easily get an infiltrator to rehack turrets. I do it ALL the time, even if they outnumber us.

Whatever, it's not really hard... at all.
  14. Stormlight666

Must be nice in those easy battles of yours. The ones I end up being in are hectic scenarios where i'm pulling out all the stops to destroy Sunderers, dodging dozens of enemies only to discover the turret i most need is hacked and have to move to another, hoping its not hacked as well.
  15. Vorpal

Using 2 C4 to take out a hacked turret is a huge waste. I wish engineers had some sort of anti structure/vehicle turret they could use in these situations.
  16. MrIDoK

Maybe having the repair gun damage a hacked turret slowly until it gets destroyed and can be repaired? It makes some more sense than hacking (which is still a valid idea, don't get me wrong) and gives an inefficient way to get rid of hacked turrets without having to run across the base to get to a terminal, get infil, get back, hack, go back to change, get back and repair, which is just frustrating.
    Basically the only advantage over hacking is not having to change class, that's it.
  17. Vortok

Engineer is already the do almost anything class. No need to infringe on one of the Infiltrator's few useful features.

Closest would be the repair gun doing damage to enemy vehicles/turrets, since if an Engineer is that close and not getting stopped... who cares. Would lessen the (already low) impact of hacked terminals though, if Engineers can just repair gun them for twice as long to flip them back.
  18. Wobberjockey

allowing engineers to unhack stuff would just further serve to remove utility from the infiltrator

and it's not like the infiltrator has an abundance of utility to begin with
    • Up x 1
  19. Keiichi25

Actually, no. What the Nanite Repair Tool does is rebuild something from its base structure. The 'coding' of a system is not the same as building a system. It is like expecting a Geek Squad Technician to make a PC into a Mac. The hardware is 'similar' but does not mean that they can make a PC into a mac. In this case, you can make a PC into a Mac, but someone has to hack some of the software to allow it to install onto a PC. Also, don't forget, the Nanite Repair Tool goes off base information. It doesn't really 'reset' things.

A good example is let's give you a computer. Something goes wrong with it. You send it to the manufacturer.

The manufacturer finds the a part is malfunctioning, but unknown to you or them, you also have a rootkit virus on your machine. Thing is, the manufacturer only cares about the hardware failure, NOT anything else. So you still have the rootkit until something else runs across and finds the problem and fixes it or disables your machine in trying to fix it.

Now in the case of the game, the nanite repair tool is basically just "I fix it." That's it. It doesn't delve any deeper into anything but the PHYSICAL nature of the object it is repairing. While in game you can't repair other faction's hardware, it isn't going to know how to get into the system to say 'Hey, fix this to work with us.' By default, the protocol will say "This is not friendly hardware." A way to azimov traitors being deceptive in their help.
  20. Dusty El Lion

As I responded earlier, if the engineer's ability to revert a turret was slower, I mean twice as slow or more, and I had to cert into it, then the infiltrator's utility isn't really hampered. You have a turret, denying me time and firepower with which to repel and attack. You can camp the turret and ambush me as I repair. If they make hacked turrets able to be destroyed by the team that hacked it, even better, you just disabled our defenses, like you're supposed to be able to do.

All I'm asking is that there be some kind of change to the fact that only another infiltrator can flip a turret back, and for that role the engineer fits best. His job is base defense and shaping the battlefield, so he needs the tools to be able to do so.