Rough's Workshop

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by JerreyRough, Jul 31, 2013.

1. JerreyRough Member

Hello and welcome to my workshop! I'll post anything that I work on within this thread and keep the OP updated.

Please note that I am in Canada so it will be a while before these could be in the game :(.

=========================================================

Items in Progress:
    • Terran Republic Rousov IS-99 Prowler Set. Thread.
    • Terran Republic Rousov TSU-23 Lightning Set. Thread.
    • Terran Republic P-34 Tanker Helmet. Thread.
    • Terran Republic Knifes. Please set latest posts in this thread.
    Backburner items:

These are items that I may return to later.
    Discontinued:
    • Terran Republic THK1 Harasser Set. Thread.
    • New Conglomerate Winter Hat: P3D of Hat.
    • Terran Republic Surveyor Helmet V1. Images: View 1.
    • Terran Republic Moleman Helmet/Bonedome. Thread.
    • Vanu Sovereignty Hedgehog Helmet. Thread.
    =========================================================
    • Like x 2
  2. Steveo Member

That looks much much better, has some very attractive curves on it i really like it. That line that goes across the mask though , remove it or change the angle, looks like a gorilla - thats my only part i dont like.
  3. Acsriot Member

Excellent work on the model , looking great so far !

Would like to share my opinion on the design tho, I love the actual helmet model but I'm really not a lover of anything that exposes the face because the faces are such a low polygon count compared to the helmets themselves, Maybe a variant with a Re-breather / Gasmask ?

Just my 2 cents , brilliant work on the model tho please don't take my suggestion personally =P
  4. JerreyRough Member

I didn't think about the gorrila face but I have to agree lol. I still wasn't sure what to put there, so I put in that line just for now.

What do you guys think I should put there? Keep in mind that the nose is there too. Personally I think the first-ever Planetside 2 mustache would be cool :p .

Thanks for the critique! I thought about putting in something, maybe a shield of sorts to go with it being a Terran Welding Helmet, though a gas mask also works well. I always intended on putting something on the face though; welding isn't that safe with just welding goggles.

I probably won't do that for a while though. I want to make this 115th Terran Demolitions Helmet first :D .
  5. Steveo Member

[IMG]

Something like this i think works
  6. MangoPunch Member

NOD soldier for inspiration?

[IMG]
  7. Bogden Member

What's NOD?
  8. JerreyRough Member

Thanks Stevo! That's given me some ideas on how to further detail the mouth. I appreciate it!

@MangoPunch Edit: Yea, it is a bit influenced by that design ;). Notably the TR Heavy Assault's helmet is very similar, at least on the cheeks, and the Nod soldier's own helmet is based off the stalhelm (which my helmet draws from except planetside-ed).

@Bogden: A fantastic series whose two main factions, NOD and GDI, are really similar to the TR and NC respectfully, at least in certain areas. Tiberium Sun and Firestorm are my favorites (which is where Mango's picture is from), though they have aged and need a UI update (like Age of Empires II HD). I would prefer to keep any advanced discussion of this topic out of this thread though, since it is quite off-topic :p.
  9. JerreyRough Member

Okay! I got the helmet proportion pretty much done aside from texturing. I've also got the goggles and my textured TR insignia on there. Here's some shots:

Pic 1

Pic 2
    • Like x 1
  10. JerreyRough Member

Another update! I've reduced the pictures in my previous posts to links so less images are loaded everywhere.

I think I've figured out what to put on the mouth part. I don't think I'll make the side armor striped but I still might, we'll see. I think the medic's cheek armor texture might fit better! I think I'll also add a bright red/glow in the back, what do you guys think (pic below)? Please note that these aren't the in-game textures/final colors yet.

Edit: Lore updated:
    Although outdated by modern standards, the old T11 Demolitions Helmet is still well-received for its advanced protection from explosives.

Edit 2: Changed pictures to latest textured version so I don't make yet another post today :p.

Pic 1

Pic 2
  11. MangoPunch Member

Looking great. I like what you've done with the mouthpiece.
  12. CoffeeOutlaw Active Member

yeah lookin pretty good mouthpiece is similar to what i'm doin on my engie helm, but not so much i'm worried about it, they are the same faction anyways!
  13. JerreyRough Member

Thanks guys! No update till late today, I'm redoing some of the geometry to reduce polycount and make my UV mapping easier.

Yea I saw that after the fact, whoops. I didn't intend to borrow that idea honest! Thanks for being relaxed about it though. I was looking at my geometry and I saw that a few polygons made a good vent-like shape.
  14. Ambitious_Nomad Member

Working with a specific style and guidelines somethings will come out close to other things that are being made. Don't sweat it much just so long as overall you have something original.
  15. Deadmon Tell'Em Member

28 min mark, your first helmet and mine made the keynote. CONGRATS :D
    • Like x 1
  16. JerreyRough Member

[IMG]
    (I would hide it in a spoiler so you could hide it/wouldn't have to see it keep looping but these forums don't have it)

:oops: Woa. I am honored. Thank you T_Ray. Keep being awesome! And of course congrats to you too Deadmon!
  17. JerreyRough Member

Okay, so I'm going to probably be away from my desktop for a couple days, so I'll throw out another update.
    • The triangle count has been reduced from almost 6,000 tris down to 3,734. Some redesigns in there too, such as the chin armor and the base of the helmet's curvature.
    • Removed forehead rectangles. Don't think they were working too well. Might try to add the stereotypical TR Mohawk armor, not sure yet. Opinions?
    • Redid all of the UV mapping except for the face mask. Should be cleaner now. Redid the helmet from start to finish twice. 3DS Max decided my save files didn't need the UV map the first time either. Darn it. > : ( Save your UV maps when you finish them! In the UV Editor window press File and then Save.
    • The texture's chin strap looks like a "D:" face. Tis silly.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  18. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

good start, there are a few things i would change about it.. I will try to get you a draw over in the morning
  19. JerreyRough Member

Awesome! I've made some minor changes to it since I last posted. This album has a small variety of shots that may be better for a quick draw-over.
  20. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director