Rough's Workshop

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by JerreyRough, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Ogre Member

2. JerreyRough Member

<3 Thank you so much for the input! You're awesome.

I'm going to try out some/most of your changes now. I'll see about making the helmet less swept back/highspeed, but I would like to keep the swept-back look. And on the suggested goggle change: what are the circles for?
  3. JerreyRough Member

EDIT: Got some other input, now I need input on which of these three to go with:

Turntable:

Regular:
    [IMG]

Samurai:
    [IMG]

Samurai with exterior cheek:
    [IMG]
  4. Side O'Beef Member

Regular is the most "TR" helmet, reminds me very much of modern military helmets. Samurai looks a little cooler to me, just depends whether TRay will accept it or not. I don't really like the exterior cheek option, it just looks out-of-place.

I'd recommend you focus on option 1, and ask TRay whether he'd accept option 2. I'm hoping/guessing it's fairly easy to carry development from option 1 into 2 if he's ok with it.
  5. JerreyRough Member

Moved the logo to the front (and added one on the grey back), which will let the side be used for camo. Might not seem like much, but it makes the design pop more:

[IMG]

The other people I've messaged also seem to like the version with the samurai-styled extra armor. I really hope T_Ray is okay with it, because I need some sort of detail there aside from the neck scarf. Something needs to counteract the forehead (both the weight in real life as well as adding detail to the back/sides), which this piece of armor accomplishes. Of course something else could do that, but if this works then I'll be that much happier.

I used Mixamo's auto rigger to see what the helmet would look like on a moving character, and it actually looked pretty good. That logo on the forehead makes all the difference.

I think I'll be able to start culling extra bits then increasing the detail of existing stuff very soon, pending T_Ray's approval of the samurai-inspired armor piece and any other comments I get before then.

Edit: ...And pending the addition of Canada to the Player Studio program.
  6. Dash Member

I do like the samurai one :)
  7. JerreyRough Member

Thanks! I'll be going with it I think.

Edit: Throwing new hat sketch into a new thread.
  8. Ogre Member

9. JerreyRough Member

3D Model Viewer of the model. (stole the idea from Arctorn). There's some polygons with issues that I'll fix.
    Rounded out the breathing filter things more (forgot to finish that), made the strap for the front plate thicker, and put in a second round fastener on the front plate.

But I'm not sure about the cameras and a notch on the plate. It's supposed to be an "old-styled" demolitions helmet, which this cameras would imply otherwise. I'll try it out anyways (doesn't hurt, they won't be adding Canada to Player Studio anytime soon anyway), but I'm not sure if they would really fit. There may be sufficient detail already.
  10. JerreyRough Member

Hey T_Ray, what do you think of my model at this point? Latest 3D model/picture below. I also want to double check something: currently we're limited to 6000 polys. Is this an absolute nothing-above hard limit? I ask because I'm at 7,492 tris, which is just barely less than the Terran Republic's shemagh at 7,616 tris.

I can of course continue to reduce the polycount of the model (I've removed all of the non-visible ones), but I just wanted to double check what you think first before continuing. Thanks!

You can view it in 3D here.

[IMG]
  11. McFluff Active Member

Just an idea, make the solid black texture lighter, more purposeful textures, the way u have it makes it look cartoony. Love the concept tho
  12. JerreyRough Member

Which black? All of them?
  13. McFluff Active Member

Basically. U shud keep some areas dark, such as goggle rim, chinstrap, vents, but the outline black, yes.
  14. JerreyRough Member

Here we go, think these changes are good? 3D Viewer.

[IMG]
  15. McFluff Active Member

Much better. The black on the bolts could be a dark grey, nice improvement. I would also give the vents some dimension, set them into the mask a bit, and mabe give them a grate
  16. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

some questions? why is the forehead thing strapped to the helmet?
    is that a 'scarf' on his face?
    why doesnt the face show in the grey areas around the googles?
  17. JerreyRough Member

Huzza! Post from T_Ray! <3
    I thought the strap looked cool (at least conceptually). I'll remove the strap though, since I didn't seem to actually make it fit well.

It's sort of a scarf. The heavy-ish fabric is intended to cover the face, assisting in protecting it from explosives (since it is, at least originally, intended to be a demolitions helmet).
  18. JerreyRough Member

As a test I have uploaded my helmet with the body on it. The helmet looks a bit big, though here it is with a TR helmet overlayed on it (other helmet doesn't have texture just to show difference). I think the mask on mine and chin strap are a bit too far ahead so I`m going to move them back. Not the nose part, just the bottom of the mask.

As a side note I think the goggles on the basic hat there are too high. You wouldn't be able to see down very well (my real life helmet seen here is similarly set in terms of the eye height).

I'm moving slower now because I'm working on a map for a map contest ;P
  19. Nicococo Active Member

This is pretty good! I just saw some issues, I hope this helps:
    [IMG]
    This is coming along great. Cant wait to see it in the game ;)
  20. JerreyRough Member

Thanks man I appreciate it! <3

Here's some quick shots of the helmet on each class. Clips on the heavy but its decent on all of the others. Well, except for the infiltrator (so silly lol), and I may have to make a variant for the MAX. Something more similar to my very first sketch I think.

Edit: Condensed pictures to here.