Rough's Workshop

Discussion in 'Game Discussion: PlanetSide 2' started by JerreyRough, Jul 31, 2013.

1. JerreyRough Member

Here's the helmet as it stands now: P3D. Here it is on the heavy: P3D. Its down to 5,748 tris.

edit: Whoops, both were same link. Fixed!
  2. Deans Member

Lookin cool, but the parts where these objects overlap are kind of awkward:
    [IMG]

Maybe put some buffer space between them, or some darker colors.
  3. JerreyRough Member

I've added a bit to that now to separate the outer helmet and the inner helmet, still thinking about what to do for the cheek armor part.

I've now uploaded that old "Welding Helmet" that I made and T_Ray showed off at SOE Live onto P3D. Helmet, Helmet with Body. I'm going to resume work on it again, especially since it needs tones of cleanup (it is my first real non-tutorial 3D model I've made), but first I want to know what you guys think of it.

Also I threw together a helmet I'm calling the "TR Surveyor Helmet", along with a version with the welding helmet's goggles. Helmet, Helmet with Body. Helmet with welding goggles, with body. It could replace the welding helmet. What do you guys think?

Edit: The Surveyor Helmet isn't that detailed yet, again I just threw it together last night. I'll detail it later, I just want to see if people want me to continue with it.
  4. McFluff Active Member

It pretty neat I guess, the goggles need t be changed a ton tho...
  5. JerreyRough Member

Okay, so here's the T-11 with the changes Deans recommended: helmet, heavy with helmet.

Once again, I appreciate any sort of feedback :)

It was mostly an experiment which I'm now going to leave alone (edit: though I think it could fit well on light assault). It's missing a lot of the TR detail I've sketched out, but I think I need to concentrate on my T-11 demo helmet first. Once T_Ray thinks it's in a good state then I'll consider coming back to the Surveyor.
  6. Deans Member

Much better! Though I think the lower plate and chinstrap plate would look better touching eachother as long as the vertices line up well.

Also there are some gaps between the upper and lower plates that you can see the head through, those should be easy to fix.
  7. JerreyRough Member

I don't think it should be available for the infiltrator: lol. Though then again it wouldn't be the first too-large/silly all-class helmet on that class.

Like this you think?
    [IMG]
  8. Deans Member

I was thinking more like before, just with the polys lined up so they flow better, something like this:
    [IMG]

That could look cool too though, personally I prefer them being separate pieces.
  9. JerreyRough Member

I think I like them as separate pieces as well. Here's them lined up: helmet, body. Also I just found out that you can just update the old file with a newer mesh on P3D :D

Hey T_Ray, would you mind telling me if this helmet is okay to you at this point?
  10. JerreyRough Member

Until T_Ray says something about the T-11 helmet I'm going to take over my workshop with a new helmet.

I've now reworked that TR Surveyor Helmet and made it way more TR: P3D Link. Picture below. Thoughts?

[IMG]
  11. TramellRayIsaac Senior Art Director

12. JerreyRough Member

Okay, thanks. It was a split-off for something completely different anyway, though I figured there's no harm in trying.

Have any comments for my demo helmet if I may ask? Here's it on a body. Or is it too old-world as well?
  13. McFluff Active Member

I like it. Make some interesting uv stuff around the mask, but other then that, me like
  14. Nicococo Active Member

It looks like a Spaniard helmet. The facemask looks too VS, unless you add some small goggles in the eye-slits. Dont mean to smash your creation, its just what I see. =/
  15. JerreyRough Member

Thanks! I think I could make the helmet work for Planetside, but I'll have to make some major changes first.

Don't worry about giving harsh criticism. That's what I've been hoping to get whenever I post something, so I can improve myself and my work. It's more of an experiment than anything anyway. Yes, the intention was to make a Spanish-styled helmet. I also unintentionally made the facemask similar to the TR helmet in the middle here (which itself is evidence that non-goggle TR helmets can work).
  16. JerreyRough Member

Because I'm just too damn suborn, here's a re-fit of the Surveyor helmet: P3D.

[IMG]
  17. Calder Member

Faceplate looks pretty similar to the Bravo MHS faceplate (center). May need some tweaking.

[IMG]
  18. JerreyRough Member

Yea, I saw and posted about that two posts above yours ;). I'll tweak it soon, I was just trying out something different for the helmet proportion first.
  19. PYROxSYCO Member

winter helmet some how reminds me of elmer fud: be verwy verwy quiet i'm hunting the telwan wepublic heh heh heh heh heh
  20. JerreyRough Member

Heh. I don't think I'll try making any more cloth-style helmets, or at least not as the main feature. There is little chance of many cloth ones making it through, as this is a sci-fi not a cartoony shooter.

I'm scrapping the surveyor, sort of anyway. Instead I'm hoping to make a surveillance helm for at least the TR and NC. There is a lack of a dedicated sharp-shooter helmet for each faction currently. That is, a helmet not for sneaking or for protection but surveying the enemy, like a scout helmet. BeastBurster's awesome Spectre helmet could work, but that is more of a close-range infiltration helmet than a sharpshooter helmet.

Here's a picture of the direction I'm going with the TR one (super early picture, what with most of the helmet not even started; not looking for feedback yet, just keeping you guys updated). Goggle part will be ingrained to the helmet.