Important Information Regarding EverQuest Next

Discussion in 'News, Announcements, and Dev Discussions' started by Daybreak Games, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Defiant New Member

Daybreak KSed SoE
  2. RadarX Administrator

The team that was working on EverQuest Next is still at Daybreak and will be lending their talents to other titles and projects here, including Landmark.
    • Up x 3
  3. Promu New Member

I was about to write a long post describing how sad and angry I am with this... But I realised you simply would not give a **** about it.... since everything you sad from the beginning where lies.

I remember these sentences being used in the debut: OUR game Has this... In Our game This is How It works and bla bla bla... when actually you had nothing all along.

Shame on you. Disgraceful behavior for any kind of company.
    • Up x 1
  4. Candela New Member

Well.. I see for those who waited for EQN - your frustration,.. but I'm not crying over you.

You didn't loose a dime on it. It didn't cost you anything. EQN was a vision, -potentially a good idea. You waited for the idea to happen. That's all it cost you. You can sulk about it and get mad, but get over it. but... The real loss is at DBG and their manpower.

Things were due to change, DBG has always been clear about that.

Consumers however seem to not grasp that and not willing to either see -or accept facts, nor showing understanding for the financial aspects of it, insights what business idea is and the challenges of reaching goals with the physical power one have got -with the (little) resources one have available.

As for you waiting hater,.. I have for 2 years observed your poisonous remarks, your doom and gloom over EQN, your impatience and your lack of understanding, your endless sulk, nag and hatred. You prejudged it from the very beginning and written rubbish about something that never even was physical. ..No, I do not cry for you. Now you get it as you wanted it -Dead. There you go hater, hope you're happy.

I have waited my entire life for a game like Landmark though, I have loved it from day 1. I myself didn't feel the need of more ''quests-and killing things''-games, there are already thousands of games like that out there. There are not many games like Landmark. -In fact non. So the good news is that it will continue and develop with its release this coming spring. Who knows, maybe there will be a little bit of everything, in future..

I never regretted buying my way into Landmark in alpha. I don't know how many hours I have spent in it, must be around 6000 hrs, ( ..how I would have wanted to know for sure).. but point is: It was worth it. I will continue to build for as long as the Landmark I love, is there. I prepared myself for anything long, long time ago, but luckily, Landmark will continue.

May there be lots more in store for Landmark in future.
    I wish the very best of luck to DBG. Hang in there.
    • Up x 1
  5. Jazure Member

Disappointed but not too surprised. It's tough to assess the feasibility of EQN as a fun game without even seeing any of the current version that DBG was working on, so of course many will rip DBG for pulling the plug. DBG deserves a lot of criticism for how it handled the development, community outreach and marketing since the early days of Alpha, but in the end, if it's crap then don't release it at all. I would be interested in the postmortem on this effort as a cautionary tale.
  6. Vylotte New Member

You can always come back to EQ2, dangeraaron10, it's still alive and kicking, and a damn fine game. Though I'm terrified it might be next ((knocks on wood)).
  7. Boon New Member

#NeverQuest that says it all.
    • Up x 1
  8. Cowkiller New Member

with the sad death of EQN will we be seeing new life added to the EQ games ? long time EQ gamer been playing since eq1 vanilla and been waiting since the first few hints. will we be seeing some of the story lines added to EQ 1-2 ?
  9. Youou New Member

That's funny. You'v been running EQ1 into the ground for the past 6 years. I don't see it lasting much longer. You turned away from the MMO part of MMORPGs by allowing people to run bot parties of 6+ characters. And made a few Classes redundant to even play anymore. Why make a cleric when people will just use the Merc cleric?

Face it. EQs dead. With Next canceled, EverQuest has no future. And don't even try to praise Landmark. Its just Minecraft with better graphics and building tools. But not as fun, as MC has mods to add to things you can do.

Just sad.
  10. Charles Wagner New Member

When will we get our money back?
  11. Youou New Member

You say that. But you do realize that there are games that do what Landmark does and better? Do not forget that LM is a clone of much more Successful game. Might not look Next gen like Landmark. But at lest most PCs can run it. You can even find hundreds of games just like Landmark on steam. Most costing way less.

All in all. Landmark is not something to put faith in. Its a clone and doesn't even do anything it wants to right. Heck it isn't even optimized, I'm running on a pc that's well over the recommended for the game and I get like 20 fps on low. Unless they changed it, but I know for a fact my two 760s out do one 550.
  12. Dojo New Member

Saw this as soon as SOE became daybreak but anyway, what happens if someone purchased a "founders pack" do they get their money back.

I seriously hope you don't get cheap and give them the equivalent of that in cash for the market place for another game. They payed you cash, they should get cash back!
    • Up x 1
  13. code2501 New Member

I threw down a hundy pre alpha purely to support the next everquest title. I stuck around even after they sold of Soe into daybreak or heartache or whatever you wanna call it, hopeful the commitment given when soe was sold would be kept.

Good bye, good luck, hopefully those left at this corpse of a studio will find jobs somewhere else.
    • Up x 1
  14. Ubudar New Member

You all should of just recreated EQ 1 with newer graphics like people have been asking for over 15 years now. Not some new EQNext just redo regular EQ 1 with a new graphic over haul. You wouldn't even have to make new quests. But like everything else SOE/Daybreak common sense doesn't prevail.
  15. Dojo New Member

I seriously doubt there would be a company out there that would pick up a game franchise that has spent almost zero advertising dollars in years, where a good chunk of it's payed account are bots. It's a game that needs a massive graphics overhaul to compare with todays games with a ton of issues that need to be fixed.

(though to be honest, I wish more games would take a note from EQs AA's for further character development)

I seriously think the EQ franchise will be sunsetting before EQ hits its 20th anniversary REGARDLESS of what DayBreak says.

Even if it does sunset, how many other games out there can say they have been around for 17 years ? Only 1 Ultima Online.
  16. Cadror Member

They should have ended EQ classic for being so old first, that would have kept EQNext alive, wouldn't it?
  17. Shrouded Hope Active Member

Now cracks a noble heart. Good night, sweet prince; And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
    (Shakespeare)

I held out hope for EQN untill this very announcement. I wanted this game to happen as it was promising to improve on everything that I want out of my mmorpg experience and as a roleplayer looking to create a guild for it, it would've made an absolutely fantastic platform for continued storytelling. I'm saddened to hear it's not coming, but the long silence kind of prepared me for this news.

I want to thank every dev that put their faces out there for this, this can't be easy for you either. And I want to thank Moorgard and his awesome lore team and writers for rekindling a spark in a jaded roleplayer's eyes, to see that there's hope for good storytelling in mmorpgs yet.

Good luck to your other projects, Daybreak.
    • Up x 1
  18. Alex New Member

Clearly the reason for cancelling EQ Next is not the one they are stating. On such an early stage "not fun" mechanics can very easily be changed to something that will be fun. So cancellation is most likely connected to their new owners and financing. Developing a real next gen. MMORPG is a really expensive undertaking while risks are VERY high. And as investors and not game developers are now in charge they want risks to be as low as possible, hence they are not willing to take any risks, so we can forget about any revolutionary games coming from this studio in the future.

Very sad day indeed, I had faith in you guys for a long time, I really thought that the only project that actually has any chance to bring innovations to the MMORPG genre is EQ, now you have lost my trust.
    • Up x 1
  19. MujahidMukhtaar Member

When I saw that SOE was being sold to an investment firm, I lost any hope in DBG having much success. As Alex said, the stated reasons simply don't make sense.

DBG is owned by Columbus Nova. If you look at their portfolio, they're big on "services". Games are not a service in the same sense the rest of their portfolio is (Fiverr, Rhapsody, etc.)

Game-making is a form of art, as much as it is a science. And you can't create art with an investment banker's mentality. Art requires risk. A LOT of risk.

So, in my opinion, DBG either has to sell the IP (for us, the fans, to receive the game we deserve), or they have to completely overhaul their mentality.
    • Up x 1
  20. Glen New Member

I've thought about giving EQ2 another try but I too fear that it will be next in line to shut it's doors.